inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How to adjust the font size if the new format is a problem

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 10/10/10 at 2:34 am

I've received several comments from readers agreeing that some fonts (like author names) are too small, but one with another problem: that things on the home page are overlapping, which could be because fonts are too large.

I'd appreciate it if ChuckyG would check out the entire thread, starting with the comment by Patrick (13th comment), so he can see the issues that some are experiencing, which should be easily fixable.

In the meantime, here are quick and quicker ways to adjust the size of text yourself:

In Firefox web browser: On the top bar, click the View menu.  Point to "Text Size", then click "Increase" or "Decrease" as desired.
Even quicker: Press Ctrl key plus the + key to increase, and Ctrl plus the - key to decrease. You can do that repeatedly until it's big enough or small enough to suit you.

In Internet Explorer (version 6; haven't used IE in years, so never updated, but probably still the same): Just like Firefox, go to the View menu at the top, then point to "Text Size".
The difference from Firefox is that IE has five specific choices listed, from "smallest" to "largest", with the default (factory setting) at "medium", instead of just "increase" or "decrease" as in Firefox. Click the one you want; if not good, try another.

Shortcut for IE: Press Crtl *and* Shift at the same time, then press the > (greater than)  or < (less than) keys to increase or decrease text size. It seems almost  unlimited as to how many times you can do that, so you're not just limited to five choices. ... Although this is MS advice, it was hit-or-miss for me. However, my IE is old, not updated, and set extremely strictly on security. It should work OK for regular users of IE.

The remainder of that thread that's linked above may also be of interest, as it deals with checking, and possibly adjusting, screen resolution. Even if not, if this advice was useful, what the heck -- give TT another page hit for it.  :) :) :)

Subject: Re: How to adjust the font size if the new format is a problem

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 10/10/10 at 2:41 am

The screen resolution issue was brought about by Patrick's comment, excerpted:

"The biggest problem I have is that on the opening page, the navigation bar, which was formerly horizontal at the top of the page, is now vertical and wiping out the parody author column."

Anyone else have that problem? Try the advice at the thread linked, and let ChuckyG know.
Cheers.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/10/10 at 4:32 pm

The screen resolution issue was brought about by Patrick's comment, excerpted:

"The biggest problem I have is that on the opening page, the navigation bar, which was formerly horizontal at the top of the page, is now vertical and wiping out the parody author column."

Anyone else have that problem? Try the advice at the thread linked, and let ChuckyG know.
Cheers.

they mean the parody indexes right? it should only happen on really small screens.  I know about it, I just didn't think anyone still ran such a small screen resolution so I didn't rush to do it.  I'll be fixing those pages in the next day or two.

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 10/10/10 at 5:31 pm

they mean the parody indexes right? it should only happen on really small screens.  I know about it, I just didn't think anyone still ran such a small screen resolution so I didn't rush to do it.  I'll be fixing those pages in the next day or two.

I tried setting my res to the lowest possible, 800 x 600. The "Latest Entries" had to wrap lines, but they were still there. However, I have a wide-screen, 1.6 : 1. Someone with an older, almost-square, small screen (like my previous machine, bought in y2k) might have a more severe problem at that res, or at 600 x 450 or whatever. (Not everyone can afford to throw away machines that still run OK, which doesn't make it easy for site designers.)

FWIW, I'm aware of one or two people still running Win 95, not that you necessarily have to cater to them. (And when is the DOS version of the site coming, LOL!  :D )

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/10/10 at 8:19 pm

I tried setting my res to the lowest possible, 800 x 600. The "Latest Entries" had to wrap lines, but they were still there. However, I have a wide-screen, 1.6 : 1. Someone with an older, almost-square, small screen (like my previous machine, bought in y2k) might have a more severe problem at that res, or at 600 x 450 or whatever. (Not everyone can afford to throw away machines that still run OK, which doesn't make it easy for site designers.)

FWIW, I'm aware of one or two people still running Win 95, not that you necessarily have to cater to them. (And when is the DOS version of the site coming, LOL!  :D )

yesh Win95... you might as well run a VT100 Terminal emulator and view it in Lynx which is how I used to browse the web.  That and Gopher.  No Gopher version of the site coming anytime soon either.

The problem is that the design is fluid, which allows people with big monitors to view some of the pages in a wider format.  It's not really useful though for about 90% of the site, so I was planning on making the design fixed width.  It would prevent stuff from wrapping on really small screens, but would require sideways scrolling to see the navigation elements on really small screens.

What I'd like to do, is offer multiple style sheets like I do on amIwrong.  I have to do a lot more cleanup work on the style sheet first and get the default one to work right first. 

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 10/11/10 at 12:14 am

What I'd like to do, is offer multiple style sheets like I do on amIwrong.  I have to do a lot more cleanup work on the style sheet first and get the default one to work right first. 

That would be awesome. I've seen one or two other sites where you can choose your own skin of the whole site from among several choices. Not being a site designer myself, I have no idea how much trouble that is, but it's certainly one way to try one's best to "please all of the people all of the time". GL!

Check for new replies or respond here...