inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Super long parody titles & song titles are a problem in index tables

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/12/10 at 1:46 pm

I had noticed this before the redesign, the font size made things worse, but even dropping the font size back to where it was before on any of the table based listings causes lots of size issues for the tables.  A certain Mary Poppins tune comes to mind especially.

some possible solutions...

remove table layouts on the index pages, so everything looks more like the latest parody lists (this loses the sort functions)
abbreviate titles with unbroken words of more than 15 characters (I could potentially make them visible when you hover over them)
move the navigation/ads/etc to the right hand side of the screen (prevents overlaps, still makes super wide screens requiring side-scrolls)

this is NOT related to the redesign.  this was an existing problem

Subject: Re: Super long parody titles & song titles are a problem in index tables

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/13/10 at 12:43 pm

I was going to write something to try and guess where to split really long words, and I still might do that.

However, I also realized there was some merit in allowing people to turn the navigation bar off on very large pages.  This should be helpful on pages with big tables of information.

Check for new replies or respond here...