inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This website is committing a grammar sin!

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/19/10 at 4:02 pm

In each individual forum respective to decades, there should be no apostrophe before the "S"s. An apostrophe before a "S" signifies ownership. If we're talking about plurals, then there should simply be a "S" at the end.

What I'm saying is:

2000's = wrong
2000s = correct

Sorry if this topic is seen as redundant, but as a grammar nazi, I couldn't resist bringing this up.  :P

Subject: Re: This website is committing a grammar sin!

Written By: danootaandme on 12/19/10 at 4:53 pm

I can sympathize

Written By: gibbo on 12/19/10 at 5:00 pm

In each individual forum respective to decades, there should be no apostrophe before the "S"s. An apostrophe before a "S" signifies ownership. If we're talking about plurals, then there should simply be a "S" at the end.

What I'm saying is:

2000's = wrong
2000s = correct

Sorry if this topic is seen as redundant, but as a grammar nazi, I couldn't resist bringing this up.  :P

Oh dear.....sounds like you may have entered a whole world of pain.... ;D

Written By: Rex on 12/19/10 at 5:22 pm

Actually, this is the exception. To quote from englishplus.com:

"The only time when adding apostrophe s to make something plural is when you are working with numbers written as numbers or with words, letters, numbers, or symbols as themselves. An example of working with numbers written as numbers would be if you were referring to the 1990's. In most standard writing this would be written out in words: the nineteen nineties. You use the apostrophe to separate the number from the letter to show the letter is not part of the number."

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/19/10 at 5:55 pm

Actually, this is the exception. To quote from englishplus.com:

"The only time when adding apostrophe s to make something plural is when you are working with numbers written as numbers or with words, letters, numbers, or symbols as themselves. An example of working with numbers written as numbers would be if you were referring to the 1990's. In most standard writing this would be written out in words: the nineteen nineties. You use the apostrophe to separate the number from the letter to show the letter is not part of the number."

I did some research online, and it seems that the various grammar websites I've been to can't agree. Some say that there should be an apostrophe, and others say that there should not be.

Written By: Rex on 12/20/10 at 6:15 pm

You're right, I should have looked at more than one site. I did check my copy of the Chicago Manual at work today, and it said that you should omit the apostrophe if the intent is clear. I certainly understand what "2000s" means.

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/20/10 at 7:07 pm

What I'm saying is:

2000's = wrong
2000s = correct

Also, it's: "An apostrophe before an "S"  ;)

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/20/10 at 11:57 pm

Also, it's: "An apostrophe before an "S"  ;)

I've seen people do it both ways. I chose to use "a" because "s" by itself is a consonant.

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/21/10 at 6:59 am

I've seen people do it both ways. I chose to use "a" because "s" by itself is a consonant.

The Rule
The rule states that “a” should be used before words that begin with consonants (e.g., b, c ,d) while “an” should be used before words that begin with vowels (e.g., a,e,i). Notice, however, that the usage is determined by the pronunciation and not by the spelling, as many people wrongly assume.

You should say, therefore, “an hour” (because hour begins with a vowel sound) and “a history” (because history begins with a consonant sound).
Similarly you should say “a union” even if union begins with a “u.” That is because the pronunciation begins with “yu”, which is a consonant sound.

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/21/10 at 1:01 pm

The Rule
The rule states that “a” should be used before words that begin with consonants (e.g., b, c ,d) while “an” should be used before words that begin with vowels (e.g., a,e,i). Notice, however, that the usage is determined by the pronunciation and not by the spelling, as many people wrongly assume.

You should say, therefore, “an hour” (because hour begins with a vowel sound) and “a history” (because history begins with a consonant sound).
Similarly you should say “a union” even if union begins with a “u.” That is because the pronunciation begins with “yu”, which is a consonant sound.

I suppose your'e right.

I stand by my original point in this thread, though.  :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/21/10 at 1:22 pm

I suppose your'e right.

I stand by my original point in this thread, though.  :)

Cool!  :)

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/21/10 at 4:41 pm

Cool!   :)

By the way, I gave you a karma point just now.  :)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 12/21/10 at 7:54 pm

Random question. . .

how is 2000s VS 2000's a grammar error either way, wouldn't that be a punctuation error?  Either is pronounced the same, which would usually indicate punctuation not grammar.  I'm not a grammar Nazi per se so long as what is being said is clear without having to give a second thought, but little technical things like this are really kind of silly to fret over.  I've always consider grammar to be more about speech and how something is said than how it is punctuated or spelled. . . just my opinion, not that it really matters. . .

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/English_grammar

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/22/10 at 2:06 pm

Random question. . .

how is 2000s VS 2000's a grammar error either way, wouldn't that be a punctuation error?  Either is pronounced the same, which would usually indicate punctuation not grammar.  I'm not a grammar Nazi per se so long as what is being said is clear without having to give a second thought, but little technical things like this are really kind of silly to fret over.  I've always consider grammar to be more about speech and how something is said than how it is punctuated or spelled. . . just my opinion, not that it really matters. . .

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/English_grammar

Grammar can encompass both written and spoken speech.

To be honest, I started this thread because I thought it would be funny. I was influenced by the fun atmosphere of this website, and I just didn't have anything better to do at the time.
:D

Written By: danootaandme on 12/22/10 at 2:18 pm

Shouldn't the title be "This person who initiated this website has continued to perpetuate a grammatical error"

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/22/10 at 3:22 pm

Shouldn't the title be "This person who initiated this website has continued to perpetuate a grammatical error"

I could have made that the title, if I wanted to sound all fancy.  ::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/23/10 at 9:46 am

it's weird they are even there, I generally don't write it out that way.  I guess I slipped up and never fixed it.  I'm too lazy to fix it now >grin<

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/26/10 at 9:40 pm

Grammar can encompass both written and spoken speech.

To be honest, I started this thread because I thought it would be funny. I was influenced by the fun atmosphere of this website, and I just didn't have anything better to do at the time.

actually the thread got funnier as more replies got added ;D

Written By: philbo on 01/07/11 at 9:14 am

actually the thread got funnier as more replies got added ;D

Shouldn't that sentence have a capital letter?  (and a full stop, or does the smiley count?)

Written By: Red Ant on 01/13/11 at 8:59 am

Shouldn't that sentence have a capital letter?  (and a full stop, or does the smiley count?)

No. The smiley just grins.  ;D

Ant

Written By: philbo on 01/13/11 at 3:50 pm

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/18 at 10:27 am

What I'm saying is:

2000's = wrong
2000s = correct

Sorry if this topic is seen as redundant, but as a grammar nazi, I couldn't resist bringing this up.  :P
Over the last recent years, I had thought so and have not used the apostrophe.

Check for new replies or respond here...