inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: [RESOLVED] "Dollar-sign bug" - is a retro-fix possible?

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 01/04/11 at 3:26 pm

ChuckyG:

Thanks for fixing the dollar-sign bug. I'd assumed that the code revamp would fix previous as well as future parodies, but I recently noticed that one parody with a lot of $ signs, which was posted before that bug was fixed, still shows the bug: The $ and first two digits after $ are missing. The parody is "American Pie Shrinks As More Slices Handed Out". (Economics parody -- lots of dollar figures.)

Unfortunately, there are a couple dozen instances of the bug, all in the footnotes, and the footnotes are more than 5,000 words, probably enough to have been my Master's thesis in Economics. (Actually, they were .... j/k!) So I wouldn't ask you to go through and change each one manually.

I don't want to just re-submit the song through the submission page, because that would lose all of the present votes, comments, hit count, etc. When you can find a minute -- no rush -- can this be fixed? Maybe just by reloading the existing raw footnotes from source, using the new code, without losing all of that other stuff?

If not, I can e-mail you the footnotes from my original draft, and maybe you could just substitute them into the page source without disturbing the rest? 

If you want the footnotes e-mailed, what's your preferred format for the attachment? Open Office .odt, MS Word .doc,  Wordpad .rtf, Notepad .txt, or a .pdf?

(FWIW, I write mine in Wordpad, because *there aren't any page breaks* to cut off a song in the middle of a verse, etc. Can scroll one page forever. Then paste into Open Office for the spell check. ... and yet, *still* find dozens of glitches when in the WYSIWYG submission editor. Go figure... >wink< )

Thanks in advance if you can do this. No rush; the song's already been that way for a little more than a year now. Happy New Year!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/beerchug.gif

Edited to mark as resolved.

Subject: Re: "Dollar-sign bug" - is a retro-fix possible?

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/07/11 at 6:31 pm

I'd say just email it to me... as long as it's the foot notes.  I can make changes to an existing parody, but if it's a lot of changes I usually ask for a resubmission.  You've probably got a lot of comments though, so I'll spend the extra time and update it the best I can.

Subject: Re: "Dollar-sign bug" - is a retro-fix possible?

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 01/07/11 at 11:32 pm

I'd say just email it to me... as long as it's the foot notes.

Done.

I can make changes to an existing parody, but if it's a lot of changes I usually ask for a resubmission. You've probably got a lot of comments though, so I'll spend the extra time and update it the best I can.

Yes, not only a good number of comments, but a lot of back-and-forth discussion among a couple of readers and the authors, which brought out more information, facts, and clarification. Thanks for going the extra mile to preserve those. (Karma)

p. s. Sorry I haven't been contributing lately, but first, the holiday craziness, and now, end-of-year statements for clients in the Real World, plus starting on my own income taxes ...  Hope to be able to contribute again by about the end of this month or early February. 

EDIT: Resolved 1/8/11. Super thanks to ChuckyG.

Check for new replies or respond here...