inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Song Ratings Column Revision (or maybe deletion)

Written By: WarrenBaker on 02/19/11 at 4:43 pm

The parody this past Friday by Otto http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/franksinatra195.shtml got me thinking. And although me thinking is banned in certain countries and a few regions in Canada, I'd like to suggest a rethink of the rating columns, specifically a rethink of Funny.

1. I like the first column "Pacing." It's straightforward. Not a lot of wiggle room, even though I do tend to be forgiving in this category if the pacing is better than the original (and many of the originals have weird pacing based on the rhythms of the music, an issue which can cause issues when one tries to read it thoughtfully....maybe I shouldn't be thoughtful...that's a thought...).
  2. I like the last column "Overall" because it's, well, all encompassing.
  3. I've always had issues with Funny. With the political parodies, the serious parodies, the parodies that defy description, etc., Funny doesn't always fit. And having written a few on the less than funny side, I've felt a little weird getting a 5 for 'Funny.'

I think we should eliminate Funny and replace it with either one of the following:
  1. Clever- This is something I think can work with both serious and funny parodies.
  2. Witty- I’ve always been partial to this one because it begins with W. A letter of which I’m quite fond, having it in my first name.
  3. Weird- Not only does it have a W, but I think it can describe many of the parodies on the site, and maybe some of the people…
  4. Clarity- Though some will place a comment in the header describing the intention, motivation, etc. of/for the parody, some don’t. And with some of the parodies, I’m lost and confused. Though that’s my usual state of mind, it’s not my preferred state when I’m reading someone’s parody. I actually prefer the state of North Carolina, but I know we can’t all be perfect.

How about including a No Comment button for a column?

Just some thoughts. I’m no web wizard, and I’m not sure how difficult this is. But I think the rating process needs reviewing in some way, shape, or fashion.

Old Man Ribber, a frequent recipient of the Unabomber’s love gun, has suggested doing away with the rating process. I’m amenable to that as well, and it also gives me the ability to use the word ‘amenable’ in a sentence. I enjoy exposing myself to the world, and could be quite happy knowing I’m being viewed with a modicum of interest instead of being viewed in a cold lineup room downtown.

Thanks for listening, and a special thanks to Otto for prompting this.

Subject: Re: Song Ratings Column Revision (or maybe deletion)

Written By: Below Average Dave on 02/19/11 at 7:26 pm

I too have never liked the column "funny" but I don't think any of the other four options really improve upon funny. . .even funny parodies aren't necessarily weird, nor is funny always something that has clarity, Serious parodies rarely try to be witty--and clever is sometimes the opposite of the goal.

*If* funny were to be replaced I'd actually recommend a catch all such as "Achieved Goal" or better yet, a fill in spot that a person can ask what to be rated on from a drop down list. . .

Perhaps that list can have five options

1) Funny
2) Meaningful
3) Disgusting
4) Sincere
5) Educational

This would encompass the vast majority of parodies. . .political parodies usual aim at sincerity, education or being meaningful. . .serious parodies are usually aiming at being meaningful . . .many parodies are strictly educational, and a good number of parodies are aimed not so much at being funny, but being gross. . .

Funny would of course be the default, but this would allow the opportunity for people to be graded on the category intended for each given parody.

Written By: WarrenBaker on 02/19/11 at 10:51 pm

Thanks for chiming in, Dave.

The challenge is keeping the ratings succinct enough to provide a meaningful evaluation but not so broad that they have no value at all. In a perfect world, offering comments would be the ideal.

I'm hoping to tease out some thoughts on how to keep the descriptors valuable. I don't like the idea of having 5 or six categories to grade; starts to look to look more like a test if you go that direction. I like the idea of three categories, but I'm sure I don't like Funny being one of the categories. I threw most of my original suggestions in the mix just to get a thread going, and I'm not really partial to any of them.

I lied. I do like Clever. Clever works on many different levels that encompass both the funny and sincere. And many can be clever and sincere simultaneously. Maybe have a column called 'Interesting'? 'Boring'? 'Needs help'? Just tossing out thoughts.

Maybe the answer is a Not Applicable radio button for each of the ratings columns.

OMR's suggestion of eliminating the voting system is good, but I must admit I like seeing the numbers when looking at the different authors' profiles. It gives me a starting point on which ones to read first, though sometimes the numbers are of little use when trying to find some true 'gold.'

I hope others will join in this discussion. We can't be the only two that feel the evaluation grading system could use a little change.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 02/21/11 at 6:48 am

Thanks for chiming in, Dave.

The challenge is keeping the ratings succinct enough to provide a meaningful evaluation but not so broad that they have no value at all. In a perfect world, offering comments would be the ideal.

I'm hoping to tease out some thoughts on how to keep the descriptors valuable. I don't like the idea of having 5 or six categories to grade; starts to look to look more like a test if you go that direction. I like the idea of three categories, but I'm sure I don't like Funny being one of the categories. I threw most of my original suggestions in the mix just to get a thread going, and I'm not really partial to any of them.

I lied. I do like Clever. Clever works on many different levels that encompass both the funny and sincere. And many can be clever and sincere simultaneously. Maybe have a column called 'Interesting'? 'Boring'? 'Needs help'? Just tossing out thoughts.

Maybe the answer is a Not Applicable radio button for each of the ratings columns.

OMR's suggestion of eliminating the voting system is good, but I must admit I like seeing the numbers when looking at the different authors' profiles. It gives me a starting point on which ones to read first, though sometimes the numbers are of little use when trying to find some true 'gold.'

I hope others will join in this discussion. We can't be the only two that feel the evaluation grading system could use a little change.

It does for me too--the ones with the lowest scores are usually the best because the ruffed the most feathers LOL

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/21/11 at 2:14 pm

You do realize this conversation occurs once every two or three years right? The reason the funny entry is there at all, is because the site is first and foremost, a music humor website. It's kind of like the discussion of why there's no filk on the website that isn't parody based.

The person most upset at the column is of course someone who posts political stuff with no humor content whatsoever and then wonders why no one gives his "parodies" tons of positive votes. It's not a politics site, it's not forbidden, but it's not going to win you a ton of fans either, especially the bitter partisan stuff most people tend to write.  William Tong used to take it as a sign that his parodies were good when they'd specifically target them for down votes. Malcolm used to think the same thing as well.

Written By: WarrenBaker on 02/21/11 at 5:44 pm

You do realize this conversation occurs once every two or three years right? The reason the funny entry is there at all, is because the site is first and foremost, a music humor website. It's kind of like the discussion of why there's no filk on the website that isn't parody based.

I suspected this was a perennial topic, but I didn't dig deep enough to see past discussions. And I can understand why some would find the '1' a badge of honor. And humor is the main goal thrust, but current topics what they were, are, and will be continue to ebb and flow here.

That said, I can't help but like perennials in the spring...even if it's February and 78 degrees outside.

Even a 'not applicable' radio button would suffice, just to keep the flowers from popping up every other year.

Pesky flowers  ;).

And thanks, as always for this site. It's been a great creative outlet for me and a lot of other writer types.

wb

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/22/11 at 1:48 pm

I suspected this was a perennial topic, but I didn't dig deep enough to see past discussions. And I can understand why some would find the '1' a badge of honor. And humor is the main goal thrust, but current topics what they were, are, and will be continue to ebb and flow here.

That said, I can't help but like perennials in the spring...even if it's February and 78 degrees outside.

Even a 'not applicable' radio button would suffice, just to keep the flowers from popping up every other year.

Pesky flowers  ;).

And thanks, as always for this site. It's been a great creative outlet for me and a lot of other writer types.

wb

Any change to the voting system would pretty much mean a clean cut off for results though... if NA is now an option, all those old votes where people would have chosen it if they could are no longer really as applicable. So I'd probably do something like present "historical vote totals" and then the "new style" voting results.

I'm not opposed to changing the system, it just needs to be simple and well thought out.  More than a handful of options and you make it too complicated for the average site visitor to bother with.  Youtube has a "Like/Dislike" and I think they used to be a five star rating system initially.  Even a disliked - neutral - love system might be better, do away with the averages entirely and just display totals of each. If we did away with the "averages" I could have a set of yes/no radio buttons next to a couple optional fields like "Made me think" "Made me laugh".  Maybe drop the vote on everything or nothing approach as well. Netflix has the ajax style stuff where you click on the stars and it just does the vote, I'm sure I could do that as well. It wasn't widely supported by browsers 10 years ago when I first designed the system.

so...

Voice Your Opinion
Cast your vote by selecting any of the choices below you agree with

Overall I think the Parody is: Great  -  OK -  Didn't Like
The parody made me laugh:  Yes - No
The parody made me think:  Yes - No
The parody fits the pacing of the original song:  Yes - No

Current Results

Overall I think the Parody is: Great (10) -  OK (2) -  Didn't Like (20)
The parody made me laugh:  Yes (5) - No (50)
The parody made me think:  Yes(30)  - No (20)
The parody fits the pacing of the original song:  Yes (10) - No (2)

This approach would give us the flexibility to drop or add questions (sitewide, not on a per parody basis)

The author page would probably only have the results of the "overall" category on it.  Maybe I could even put in a section with the "best liked" parodies at the top of each author page for authors with 25 or more parodies.

I've been debating about whether I should try a facebook tie-in as well... I've not been keeping up with the latest stuff on the websites like I should, so maybe it's time to do some more work on the sites I run. I hate the social network tie in stuff, but I guess other people use it.  Facebook tie-in's could be used with the voting system for votes people can't as easily fake. I doubt people would register 50 fake facebook profiles just for down voting a song parody. Would be a lot of work though, and still be optional, so not really keen on doing that.

I think I'm going to tweak the overall design some more as well (drop the font size down a point or two, clean up some spacing issues). Nothing as radical as the last time though. The 11 year anniversary of the site is coming up soon, so maybe that would be a good time to roll out some new changes.

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 02/24/11 at 4:56 am

My two cents' worth:

Any change to the voting system would pretty much mean a clean cut off for results though... if NA is now an option, all those old votes where people would have chosen it if they could are no longer really as applicable. So I'd probably do something like present "historical vote totals" and then the "new style" voting results.

PITA for no benefit. N/A has always been an option: comment but don't vote. Don't like the idea of having "old" and "new" votes, or losing accumulated votes. Maybe I'm biased because I still get hits on things I wrote my first day here, a little more than five years ago, and on many songs posted since.

<snip>  More than a handful of options and you make it too complicated for the average site visitor to bother with.

Amen.

Youtube has a "Like/Dislike"

Now we're back to either 555 or 111. No room in the middle for an almost-well paced parody with a few glitches, etc.

Even a disliked - neutral - love system might be better, <snip>

A one-to-ten scale is too much; neutral-love isn't enough. Same example as above: "This parody was very good, but there were some pacing glitches here, here, and here. Don't love it, but would if those were fixed". That is much more than "Neutral."

Most of the major polling organizations, like Rasmussen, etc., in reporting, for example, the POTUS' approval rating, use five grades: Strongly approve, Approve Somewhat (or "Generally Approve", or "Generally Satisfied", etc.) Neutral, "Disapprove somewhat" (same alternatives as before), and "Strongly Disapprove".  If it's good enough to rate the POTUS (etc.), it's good enough to rate a song.

Netflix has the ajax style stuff where you click on the stars and it just does the vote, I'm sure I could do that as well. It wasn't widely supported by browsers 10 years ago when I first designed the system.

How is clicking on stars easier than clicking on a radio button? ... In general, the less complex the code, the fewer glitches and the easier it is to maintain. Also, while I trust your sites and allow the scripting (and the ad scripts so that you can get paid, which isn't the case at some other sites, lol), "One man's feature is another man's exploit". More code = more possibilities for inadvertent XSS vulns (Cross-site scripting, which has bitten even the biggies like Yahoo and Google), and other exploits. KISS applies here. (Will PM you about one aspect of that.)

Voice Your Opinion
Cast your vote by selecting any of the choices below you agree with

Overall I think the Parody is: Great  -  OK -  Didn't Like
The parody made me laugh:  Yes - No
The parody made me think:  Yes - No
The parody fits the pacing of the original song:  Yes - No

Yes/No is waaaay too little for "Paciing", which isn't a binary question. A song with a few glitches shouldn't be rated "No" along with one that has missing verses, some lines as off by as miuch as four syllables (have seen that), half the lines mispaced, etc. The former should be a 4. "Yes" isn't right, and "No" is too strict, lumping the former in with the latter.

I support changing "How Funny" to "How Clever", because even though it *is* a humor site, satire and parody have been time-honored means of political and social criticism since the ancient Greeks and Romans. .. Not necessarily funny, but ... well, my comment to the parody linked in the OP says my thoughts. Main gist, excerpted:
this parody is what this writer has often labeled TTTBF = To True To Be Funny. TT has probably wriTTen as many or more of those as anyone else on site. Consider the four parodies of the events in Egypt posted Monday, 14 Feb. There was nothing at all "haha" funny about those events or their retelling. They were thrilling, for the possibility of freedom vs. dictatorship; sad, for the casualties, and uncertain as to the ultimate outcome.

So, "funny"? Those would be a One, strictly speaking. Yet on those and many others, some kind readers have substituted their own criteria, such as "meaningful", "relevant", "informative", "witty", etc., just as this reader has done on similar works by others, and voted 555.
          "Ambition" -- trying a Big 7 parody (as all four of those were) could be included along with the other criteria above, into one category called, as Warren's first point suggested, "How Clever".

Cleverness includes: wit; originality; successfully tackling the difficult vs. Vile Tripes (play on "Edelweiss" there, lol); pertinence/relevance (to current events, etc.); informative value; technique beyond mere pacing, such as, say, syllable-matching (a parody can be perfectly-paced, with zero syl-matches, and justly deserve 5 on pacing; there is presently no way to reward the extra, uh, "cleverness" required for partial or total syl-matches - or, say, smooshing ...

.....Would all fit very nicely under "Cleverness". Ergo, replacing "How Funny" with "How Clever" is an excellent idea. In geek terms, the Venn set of "Clever" includes "Funny" and many other subsets of cleverness, whereas the Venn set of Funny excludes all of the others, to the detriment of such parodies. ....

... as for opting out of receiving votes altogether -- it seems that zero voting ]  is about as meaningless as unabombs or auto-fives. See TT's "100 Thousand Hits" parody: Every unabomb is another page view, and that helps support the site. ...

This approach would give us the flexibility to drop or add questions (sitewide, not on a per parody basis)

Again, too much complexity, or too-frequent changes, will confuse readers and muddle things.

The author page would probably only have the results of the "overall" category on it.  Maybe I could even put in a section with the "best liked" parodies at the top of each author page for authors with 25 or more parodies.

This writer's first 25 or so parodies were straight 555s, until someone apparently noticed that, and probably spent most of a day or a weekend dropping 111s and other low votes on them. They now show in the 2s and 3s. ...Also have been a frequent target of Unabombers. I can ignore those votes in evaluating sincere reader response to my work, but the above idea is contrary to the intent of the OP and the song by "Otto" that is linked in the OP: Too many readers give auto-Fives, either for quid-pro-quo or because they hate to hurt anyone's feelings by suggesting how the parody could be improved.

I personally consider page views over time as a better measure. Those which "have legs", as we say in show bz -- those that continue to accumulate hits for years, and those that get large numbers of hits, are resonating with readers. Just a personal thought there. But as for "most liked" -- we already have the ability to click the "H" (hits) column and sort by # of page views.

I've been debating about whether I should try a facebook tie-in as well... <snip>  I hate the social network tie in stuff, but I guess other people use it.

I hate it too, it's being cited for multiple privacy invasions, the latest being to use "friends'" names in endorsements for ads, without their permission -- "ChuckyG likes Brand X peanut butter" -- I'll have nothing to do with it. I don't see the benefit of a tie-in, and "other people" do a lot of stupid or useless things.

Facebook tie-in's could be used with the voting system for votes people can't as easily fake. I doubt people would register 50 fake facebook profiles just for down voting a song parody.

Please pardon me while I LOL. Have you seen how many times Facebook accounts have been hacked? I warned one regular AmIRighter against it, and they wrote back several months later to say that they had been hacked twice in the interim. Hardly a way to prevent fake votes, and so long as non-FB users like myself are allowed to vote, there is no stopping malicious votes. This writer has assured many people, "Consider the source". Anonymous votes, low votes without reasons cited in the Comment, are meaningless, and one should pay them no heed.

Would be a lot of work though, and still be optional, so not really keen on doing that.

Considering the miniscule benefit, if any, haven't you just answered your own question? >wink<

I think I'm going to tweak the overall design some more as well (drop the font size down a point or two,

And here you just increased it, to the benefit of us aging Boomers,  ;) Pick a font and go with it! ... This writer posted elsewhere on this forum how to increase/decrease font size in one's browser.

The 11 year anniversary of the site is coming up soon, so maybe that would be a good time to roll out some new changes.

Any time that they're beneficial is a good time, but no need to make change for the sake of change. (Didn't think 11-year anniversaries were special, lol!)

O/T: Changing the Author listing to "Malcolms" was a nice tribute to a prolific writer, but even the passing of a POTUS lowers the flag to half-mast for only 30 days.... Will they be changed to another author's name, when, Heaven forbid, John A. Barry passes? Airfarcewon?  Tokusou Sentai Blessranger?

Main concern is that new readers checking that will have no idea what a "Malcolm" is. Minor point was that I thought that hitting 400 songs was a benchmark (same with 300, 200, 100 in first three months, etc.), but I'm now a zero-point-something -- not even a 1 on number of songs posted.

FWIW, I agree with the late Malcolm's opinion that 111s on political or social parodies are compliments. It means that your parody was *effective* -- you touched a nerve in someone; you've pressed their buttons; you've challenged their beliefs beyond the point where they can simply laugh you off or ignore you.

Enough. Kudos to anyone with the patience to read this entire post.  8)

Edit: Hope your headache is better. I'm sure that I haven't helped here. >wink<

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/24/11 at 9:30 am

My two cents' worth:
PITA for no benefit. N/A has always been an option: comment but don't vote. Don't like the idea of having "old" and "new" votes, or losing accumulated votes. Maybe I'm biased because I still get hits on things I wrote my first day here, a little more than five years ago, and on many songs posted since.

not really though, if someone didn't care about one of the categories, they were still forced to vote in it and probably just gave it ones

Now we're back to either 555 or 111. No room in the middle for an almost-well paced parody with a few glitches, etc. 
A one-to-ten scale is too much; neutral-love isn't enough. Same example as above: "This parody was very good, but there were some pacing glitches here, here, and here. Don't love it, but would if those were fixed". That is much more than "Neutral."

Most of the major polling organizations, like Rasmussen, etc., in reporting, for example, the POTUS' approval rating, use five grades: Strongly approve, Approve Somewhat (or "Generally Approve", or "Generally Satisfied", etc.) Neutral, "Disapprove somewhat" (same alternatives as before), and "Strongly Disapprove".  If it's good enough to rate the POTUS (etc.), it's good enough to rate a song.

weird you pull it towards the scientific like that, when you're perfectly OK with changing the voting technique and letting new votes be counted alongside the old ones.  While I agree a sliding 1-5 scale is probably best, it appears people ignore the 2-3-4 portions of it almost entirely. Look at a parody with a lot of votes, and you can see the breakdowns of which votes are made, and those are very rare numbers indeed.

How is clicking on stars easier than clicking on a radio button? ... In general, the less complex the code, the fewer glitches and the easier it is to maintain. Also, while I trust your sites and allow the scripting (and the ad scripts so that you can get paid, which isn't the case at some other sites, lol), "One man's feature is another man's exploit". More code = more possibilities for inadvertent XSS vulns (Cross-site scripting, which has bitten even the biggies like Yahoo and Google), and other exploits. KISS applies here. (Will PM you about one aspect of that.)

Almost all XSS attacks are against SQL which I don't use on amIright (though I should in a few instances). If you haven't used Netflix you might not know what I'm talking about, but basically once you click on the rating star you want, the vote is sent in right away, no additional buttons to be pressed, no other pages to be viewed, etc. If you have to change it, you can just click a different rating and it changes, with no log in system on amIright for voting you'd only be able to change it until you navigate away from the page.  I already do most of the scripting necessary for this because the page updates within the voting section without going to another page when you click vote. I have my own AJAX junk I wrote, no need for JQuery or other needlessly complicated stuff.

Yes/No is waaaay too little for "Paciing", which isn't a binary question. A song with a few glitches shouldn't be rated "No" along with one that has missing verses, some lines as off by as miuch as four syllables (have seen that), half the lines mispaced, etc. The former should be a 4. "Yes" isn't right, and "No" is too strict, lumping the former in with the latter.

While I would agree you or another parody author would be willing to break things down that far when grading the pacing, the 90% of visitors to the site probably aren't paying that close enough attention to it. I'd be willing to bet most people don't even consider it and just vote it the same as they are voting the other categories. "Oh well, I voted this a five for funny, might as well vote it for the pacing because who even knows if it does"

I support changing "How Funny" to "How Clever", because even though it *is* a humor site, satire and parody have been time-honored means of political and social criticism since the ancient Greeks and Romans. .. Not necessarily funny, but ... well, my comment to the parody linked in the OP says my thoughts. Main gist, excerpted:

.....Would all fit very nicely under "Cleverness". Ergo, replacing "How Funny" with "How Clever" is an excellent idea. In geek terms, the Venn set of "Clever" includes "Funny" and many other subsets of cleverness, whereas the Venn set of Funny excludes all of the others, to the detriment of such parodies. ....

Even if I agree with that assessment, we'd still be back to square one where you can't equate the current votes made against the "funny" category with clever, and a clean break is totally needed.  This is why I'm thinking of removing the need to vote all the categories or none.  Let people judge what they feel comfortable judging. If we leave the 1-5 scale in place, remove the requirement for voting all categories or none, I can add in a forth category and it wouldn't be overwhelming to a site visitor because they're free to only mark down what they want.

... as for opting out of receiving votes altogether -- it seems that zero voting ]  is about as meaningless as unabombs or auto-fives. See TT's "100 Thousand Hits" parody: Every unabomb is another page view, and that helps support the site. ...

not really, because people who don't vote aren't considered in the average totals.

I personally consider page views over time as a better measure. Those which "have legs", as we say in show bz -- those that continue to accumulate hits for years, and those that get large numbers of hits, are resonating with readers. Just a personal thought there. But as for "most liked" -- we already have the ability to click the "H" (hits) column and sort by # of page views.

not really, search engines are responsible for the majority of that traffic after the first week or two.  There are some really awful parodies that continue to wrack up great views because they contain some weird combination of keywords that people are looking for.  Trust me, I get email from keyword SEO people all the time wanting a link to their crappy websites on the most random of parody pages because it ranks highly for some unique term they are trying to optimize for. (I don't respond to them or sell them anything because it cheapens the site and can hurt the site if I link to too many of them, so I link to none instead). There's also plenty of ways to inflate a hit count on a page if people are so inclined.  It's one of the reasons I don't run any "best of the site" types of stuff based on vote or hit counts.  Fraud is easy when everyone's anonymous.

I hate it too, it's being cited for multiple privacy invasions, the latest being to use "friends'" names in endorsements for ads, without their permission -- "ChuckyG likes Brand X peanut butter" -- I'll have nothing to do with it. I don't see the benefit of a tie-in, and "other people" do a lot of stupid or useless things.
Please pardon me while I LOL. Have you seen how many times Facebook accounts have been hacked? I warned one regular AmIRighter against it, and they wrote back several months later to say that they had been hacked twice in the interim. Hardly a way to prevent fake votes, and so long as non-FB users like myself are allowed to vote, there is no stopping malicious votes. This writer has assured many people, "Consider the source". Anonymous votes, low votes without reasons cited in the Comment, are meaningless, and one should pay them no heed.
Considering the miniscule benefit, if any, haven't you just answered your own question? >wink<

people hack Facebook accounts to send spam to other Facebook accounts, not to visit third party sites and leave comments or votes >grin<  and they generally don't stay hacked for long.  Love it or hate it, but those stupid "so and so likes such and such" status updates help drive traffic to the websites.  If they didn't, people wouldn't bother coding for it. It probably isn't appropriate for the voting system, but one of those "share this parody with your Facebook friends" things is most likely going to come along.

And here you just increased it, to the benefit of us aging Boomers,  ;) Pick a font and go with it! ... This writer posted elsewhere on this forum how to increase/decrease font size in one's browser.
Any time that they're beneficial is a good time, but no need to make change for the sake of change. (Didn't think 11-year anniversaries were special, lol!)

It's also been a year since the last change... I'm thinking one point not two or three on a size change anyways.  The leading issues are more glaring to me anyways, so I might even just try adjusting things without messing with the font size.

O/T: Changing the Author listing to "Malcolms" was a nice tribute to a prolific writer, but even the passing of a POTUS lowers the flag to half-mast for only 30 days.... Will they be changed to another author's name, when, Heaven forbid, John A. Barry passes? Airfarcewon?  Tokusou Sentai Blessranger?

Main concern is that new readers checking that will have no idea what a "Malcolm" is. Minor point was that I thought that hitting 400 songs was a benchmark (same with 300, 200, 100 in first three months, etc.), but I'm now a zero-point-something -- not even a 1 on number of songs posted.

no I'm not changing it again, I'd probably do something else to note the passing of any notable authors on the site. Malcolm wasn't the first by a long shot, but perhaps the most notable.

Edit: Hope your headache is better. I'm sure that I haven't helped here. >wink<

thankfully I read this the next day, though I still feel some minor aches. Not sure I addressed everything there, with that many quotes and points it's hard to keep track of everything.

TL;DR  Changing the voting system is complicated and needs careful consideration of any changes to keep it from getting too complicated or too simplistic.

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 02/24/11 at 4:37 pm

I broke it down because I was trying to be helpful. Long block-quotes make it less easy to know which point is being discussed, and easy to miss some. But I'm weird, as you said. Others' minds may work differently. If you prefer, won't do that again. I think you covered it all, thanks.

If we leave the 1-5 scale in place, remove the requirement for voting all categories or none, I can add in a forth category and it wouldn't be overwhelming to a site visitor because they're free to only mark down what they want.

I'm OK with making each category optional; then you can add as many categories as you like, or as readers request. Yes, I've been in situations where I'd rather not rate all categories if I didn't have to. DK what to do on the Author's Page -- probably don't want five or ten columns of vote categories.

Agree that the middle numbers are rarely used; the point of the song linked in OP, and of my comment there, was to encourage more use of them. But you're right, it's probably not going to happen. Which does render the whole process much less meaningful.

I've had my two cents, and I'm cool with whatever. Glad the head is better.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/24/11 at 6:06 pm

I broke it down because I was trying to be helpful. Long block-quotes make it less easy to know which point is being discussed, and easy to miss some. But I'm weird, as you said. Others' minds may work differently. If you prefer, won't do that again.

it did make it easier, but then a lot of the smaller quotes lost context when I responded to those and made it harder... go fig.

I think you covered it all, thanks. I'm OK with making each category optional; then you can add as many categories as you like, or as readers request. Yes, I've been in situations where I'd rather not rate all categories if I didn't have to. DK what to do on the Author's Page -- probably don't want five or ten columns of vote categories.

Agree that the middle numbers are rarely used; the point of the song linked in OP, and of my comment there, was to encourage more use of them. But you're right, it's probably not going to happen. Which does render the whole process much less meaningful.

I think on the author pages I'd like to remove all the columns, or at least only list the overall one.  It's way too big right now and on some of the more prolific authors, the page is just a bear to load.  I'd split it over multiple pages, but then you lose the sort ability with the sorting tables, so I'd have to code something to do that on the back end, etc.  It just snowballs once you start trying to solve one problem, you end up with a bunch of others. Not to say I can't do it, just that I don't want to >grin<

I'm interested in what other people have to say about it at this point. Maybe I'll make some mockups and post a link on the front page of amIright next week.

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 02/24/11 at 8:30 pm

I'm down to the last two cents in my pocket,  I promise.  :)

1) Do please keep the "Hits" column on an author page. Agree that random search-engine keywords might bring up a parody as a result, but why would the searcher *click on that result* if the parody didn't sound interesting? My own Top 10/40/100 have been amazingly consistent in view rankings over time, with a few of the more recent ones zooming up, both of which tend to argue against sheer random hits being the biggest factor in view counts. Some of them are a bit "out there" in one way or another; surely only a deliberate reader would go there.

2) When I came here as a noob, the things that I learned were from those who had the guts to vote down *and explain why in their comment*. Usually, a 4 on pacing for a song I DK well at the time (thank you, Kristof Robertson), or for repeating choruses, which now strikes me as very lazy (thank you, Red Ant).  Otherwise, I'd still be making the same mistakes. And a couple of readers have been appreciative of this writer's suggestions for improvement, accepted the appropriate vote (some haven't), and gone on to become top-notch.  A 555 is good for the ego (though it's becoming meaningless), but you don't learn anything new from it. But a lot of writers these days don't want to learn anything, it seems.... Yes, input from other readers/writers is needed.

btw, I was being facetious about changing the "Malcolm" scale to another writer's name when the next of us leaves this vale of tears. The real question was, is it truly permanent? ("The POTUS gets only 30 days of mourning .... ") Hard to see a new writer/reader understanding it, and it's been an ample tribute to MH already. What do others think?

OK, I'm done.  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/25/11 at 9:57 am

I'm down to the last two cents in my pocket,  I promise.  :)

1) Do please keep the "Hits" column on an author page. Agree that random search-engine keywords might bring up a parody as a result, but why would the searcher *click on that result* if the parody didn't sound interesting? My own Top 10/40/100 have been amazingly consistent in view rankings over time, with a few of the more recent ones zooming up, both of which tend to argue against sheer random hits being the biggest factor in view counts. Some of them are a bit "out there" in one way or another; surely only a deliberate reader would go there.

I'm sure some of them have no idea what a parody is... strange as that sounds to us. Others have probably been linked to by someone.  Having someone link your parody from a blog or forum is a sure fire way to keep the hits coming BTW.  It increases the visibility in Google as well as extra traffic from whoever views the link on the other site.

2) When I came here as a noob, the things that I learned were from those who had the guts to vote down *and explain why in their comment*. Usually, a 4 on pacing for a song I DK well at the time (thank you, Kristof Robertson), or for repeating choruses, which now strikes me as very lazy (thank you, Red Ant).  Otherwise, I'd still be making the same mistakes. And a couple of readers have been appreciative of this writer's suggestions for improvement, accepted the appropriate vote (some haven't), and gone on to become top-notch.   A 555 is good for the ego (though it's becoming meaningless), but you don't learn anything new from it. But a lot of writers these days don't want to learn anything, it seems.... Yes, input from other readers/writers is needed.

well that gets back to the original argument, which is that a comment is far more useful than a vote any day.  sadly a vote is easier for people to make than a comment.

btw, I was being facetious about changing the "Malcolm" scale to another writer's name when the next of us leaves this vale of tears. The real question was, is it truly permanent? ("The POTUS gets only 30 days of mourning .... ") Hard to see a new writer/reader understanding it, and it's been an ample tribute to MH already. What do others think?

I kind of liked the idea of leaving it permanent... though I should give a little explanation on the author's page as to what a "Malcolm" is.  I almost made it his parody count instead of a round number like 1000, so it would be amIright's own version of the Smoot.

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 02/25/11 at 4:10 pm

<snip> Others have probably been linked to by someone.  Having someone link your parody from a blog or forum is a sure fire way to keep the hits coming BTW.  It increases the visibility in Google as well as extra traffic from whoever views the link on the other site.

Yes, I've proven that empirically >wink<.  At a very serious forum, not humor-oriented, one topic was immigration laws. I linked my parody that the inscription on the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty should be changed to reflect the current thinking and proposals re: Mexicans. Since then, that parody has gotten as many page hits in the past few months as it did in the first ten months after posting -- esp. given that most parodies get their largest # of views on the posting day and the few days afterward.

Oops, did I just do it again? >heh heh< Feel free to delete the URL and just leave the text. >simile<

It *is* disappointing that no one else is weighing in. I've given my opinion and will accept whatever is decided. (Maybe no one cares enough about the voting to comment? >irony<. )

No need for ChuckyG to reply to this post, but it would be nice if others would give their input.

Written By: karen on 02/25/11 at 4:17 pm

No need for ChuckyG to reply to this post, but it would be nice if others would give their input.

It occurs to me that many of the parodists (parodyists?) would only look at the section if they had an issue to report.  Maybe you should post a link to this thread in the main song parodies board.

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 02/25/11 at 6:48 pm

It occurs to me that many of the parodists (parodyists?) would only look at the section if they had an issue to report.  Maybe you should post a link to this thread in the main song parodies board.

Karen, that is an excellent idea. I second that emotion. Maybe something headlined on the home page, suitably highlighted, like,

"Attention all readers and writers: We are currently considering significant changes to the voting system. Please post your comments here. Thanks! -- ChuckyG"

(btw, "parodist" is correct. >wink<)

Written By: John Jenkins on 02/27/11 at 10:15 pm

Voting is marginally meaningful.  I understand why the AmIRight top 10 lists are things of the past, but I think that voters tried harder back then to distinguish between 5s, 4s, etc.  Right now comments are more meaningful than votes but frequently they also fall short of providing the authors with qualitative assessments or constructive feedback of their works.  Entering SOTM contests is one way to get fairly good assessments of how one’s parodies compare to others.  But I think that most AmIRighters just have to accept the fact that, with very few exceptions, we are amateur parody writers.  And the fact that those who vote and comment on our parodies are amateur critics who frequently lack the time or are too lazy to read our parodies the way we would like them to be read.

I agree that political rants are not humorous, but political parodies and parodies can be funny.  Listeners of all political perspectives find humor in the parodies of the Capitol Steps.  And much of the political parodies of Spaff and others (Phil Alexander’s Al Qaeda Leader comes to mind) are among the best stuff on AmIRight.  I think that truth is more humorous than fiction, and works that poke fun at actual events (such as political arrogance) are more compelling (at least to me) than works that poke fun at fictitious events.

Chucky G should be commended for honoring the life of Malcolm Higgins.  I hope his family is aware of this recognition.  But why was nothing done for Royce Miller?  The quantity of her works might not have been as staggering as Malcolm’s, but the quality of her parodies and the quality and quantity of her comments on other people’s parodies all exceeded those of Malcolm.  It probably cannot be accurately measured, but I don’t think anyone left a greater footprint on AmIRight than Royce Miller.

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 02/28/11 at 12:09 am

<snip>
Chucky G should be commended for honoring the life of Malcolm Higgins.  ...  But why was nothing done for Royce Miller?  The quantity of her works might not have been as staggering as Malcolm’s, but the quality of her parodies and the quality and quantity of her comments on other people’s parodies all exceeded those of Malcolm.  It probably cannot be accurately measured, but I don’t think anyone left a greater footprint on AmIRight than Royce Miller.

That same thought had occurred to me at the time of the scale conversion (great minds think alike!), and was another reason why I asked that if, Heaven forbid, other outstanding contributors like John A. Barry and Airfarcewon were to pass, would they be similarly honored? With no disrespect intended toward the prolific Malcolm, singling out one writer to the exclusion of all others seemed arbitrary.  Perhaps a memorial at the top of the home page and the Authors page would be suitable, and provides for ways to honor others who leave our midst.

The other issue is that having opened that door, whom do you exclude? Tokusou Sentai Blessranger trails only John Barry and Malcolm in number of contributions. Someone will raise quality issues, but as John J. said, that is a personal judgment to each reader. John's judgment was that Malcolm's quality was far less than Royce's. Others will feel differently. Who is to judge whose quality outdoes whose, and what is the effect on the family, friends, and loved ones of one who passes on but is not memorialized in some way? And where is the quantitative cutoff? It is a very slippery slope indeed.

As this is O/T, should a new thread be started on this, with these posts copied there, or is the topic not open to discussion?

I was reluctant to bring up all of these issues at the time of the decision, for fear that they would be interpreted as disrespectful to the deceased.
Thank you for bringing it up now, John.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/02/11 at 7:03 pm

That same thought had occurred to me at the time of the scale conversion (great minds think alike!), and was another reason why I asked that if, Heaven forbid, other outstanding contributors like John A. Barry and Airfarcewon were to pass, would they be similarly honored? With no disrespect intended toward the prolific Malcolm, singling out one writer to the exclusion of all others seemed arbitrary.  Perhaps a memorial at the top of the home page and the Authors page would be suitable, and provides for ways to honor others who leave our midst.

The other issue is that having opened that door, whom do you exclude? Tokusou Sentai Blessranger trails only John Barry and Malcolm in number of contributions. Someone will raise quality issues, but as John J. said, that is a personal judgment to each reader. John's judgment was that Malcolm's quality was far less than Royce's. Others will feel differently. Who is to judge whose quality outdoes whose, and what is the effect on the family, friends, and loved ones of one who passes on but is not memorialized in some way? And where is the quantitative cutoff? It is a very slippery slope indeed.

As this is O/T, should a new thread be started on this, with these posts copied there, or is the topic not open to discussion?

I was reluctant to bring up all of these issues at the time of the decision, for fear that they would be interpreted as disrespectful to the deceased.
Thank you for bringing it up now, John.

Like I said earlier, I'd take them on a case by case basis.  Malcolm's case was special, because the family did contact me, and the race to 1000 parodies thing was something he did way back when.  If a regular user were to meet their end now, I'd probably post something on the front of the site, and maybe change the site logo (or even a temporary color scheme change). 

It might be a good idea to summarize what we've discussed so far on the parody board and I can post a link to that and see if anyone has anything else to contribute.  I could also post a link on the Facebook page, not that many people have that in their favorites (I don't really advertise it either).

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 03/02/11 at 8:16 pm

It might be a good idea to summarize what we've discussed so far on the parody board and I can post a link to that and see if anyone has anything else to contribute.  I could also post a link on the Facebook page, not that many people have that in their favorites (I don't really advertise it either).

Support posting the discussion on the parody board, and a link to it on AIR.com. No harm in using FB, but the benefits may not be large:
http://socialmediatoday.com/index.php?q=roywells1/158020/416-us-population-has-facebook-account

Assuming some growth since then (and cancellations, given the recent privacy flaps?) , perhaps half the US population has a FB acct, and some who do may not be active. Higher among teens and college, of course, but only 1/4 of us younger Baby Boomers have an acct, and about 1/8 of 65+. DK your exact demographics, but the continuing popularity of OS from the "Golden Oldies" era (late 50s-early 70s) supports a significant Baby Boomer subset here (as does some personal knowledge).

So yeah, there's no downside, but for the best chance of being seen, I agree that your own internal sites are best, as you said - the boards here, and an announcement at the top of the Home Page (and Authors List page?) -- as with the discussion of possible voting changes. Cheers.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/03/11 at 10:23 am

Support posting the discussion on the parody board, and a link to it on AIR.com. No harm in using FB, but the benefits may not be large:
http://socialmediatoday.com/index.php?q=roywells1/158020/416-us-population-has-facebook-account

Assuming some growth since then (and cancellations, given the recent privacy flaps?) , perhaps half the US population has a FB acct, and some who do may not be active. Higher among teens and college, of course, but only 1/4 of us younger Baby Boomers have an acct, and about 1/8 of 65+. DK your exact demographics, but the continuing popularity of OS from the "Golden Oldies" era (late 50s-early 70s) supports a significant Baby Boomer subset here (as does some personal knowledge).

So yeah, there's no downside, but for the best chance of being seen, I agree that your own internal sites are best, as you said - the boards here, and an announcement at the top of the Home Page (and Authors List page?) -- as with the discussion of possible voting changes. Cheers.

Facebook for amIright is mostly for the people who don't visit on a regular basis but still use Facebook. I'd never in a million years rely on it as a sole source of information for anything.

I don't think the choice of songs is really an indication of the average age.  Been awhile since I did any surveys, but the under-30 crowd was much larger than the post 30 crowd the last time I ran one. I know and like plenty of music that was popular long before I was even ten years old.

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/04/11 at 11:55 pm

2 cents from me....i have long used the Overall category as a measure of technical or creative ability, and have been hampered by the Funny as a category when work was not Funny haha but a creative or profound statement.

What about a scale in two categories, as similarly used in Olympic judging? Technical Ability And Artistic Showmanship perhaps? less categories to quibble about, open to interpretation but still allowing for qualitative judgment. Scale of 5 to 1 works for me, too. Wonder how veterans would feel about such a revision; i wonder if a simple conversion of current scores can be made to a new one (that's one for you tech wonks to figure out!):

TBH, I use voting rarely and make more commentary. That is indicative of how i use the site nowadays.

Check for new replies or respond here...