inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nonsense comment, possibly from a Facebook page, appearing in my parody comments

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 04/30/11 at 9:37 pm

Re: "O. J. Simpson: Your Debts Are Gonna Grow":

There is a lengthy, rambling comment, signed as "ARWEN", which smacks of impersonation, as the well-known AmIRight Arwen signs comments in lower case, only initial cap: "Arwen".

The comment repeatedly contains "yenyen lo", followed by a timestamp. It's in the abbreviated style of, say, Facebook or Twitter chat. There is in fact a Yenyen Lo registered at Facebook. I'm not a member, and so cannot view her comments. Perhaps anyone who has a FB account could see if this matches. Note that they date from January 22, 2007.

In any event, the comment needs to be deleted, but the bigger question is: How did it get there? I see nothing that resembles spam, other than for a particular user's FB page, but not for any commercial product, nor even a link (SEO link-spam). If it's a prank, it's totally pointless. Worst-case scenario would be some sort of cross-site scripting vulnerability in AIR, which somehow posted from FB to AIR - but from 2007, and with an actual writer's name, if poorly impersonated? The motive is missing... Steganographic message hidden inside? Will try to decode from my copy. :) 

Also, if there were any previous comments on this parody, they seem to have disappeared, although IIRC, that was a problem on the site a few years ago. This song was posted on my first day here, January 30, 2006, and I think there might have been a few votes, though not sure. They may also possibly have disappeared in the aforementioned site glitch of around 2006-2007. Is there a cached copy for comparison of whether this person somehow overwrote or deleted any existing comments, strictly out of curiosity? I don't need to have the old v/c returned; just trying to figure out the puzzle. Thanks.
Um, while I'm here, any chance that this old issue can be taken care of at some point? The song, "California!" continues to draw hits, but the dollar amounts in the footnotes make no sense as is.
E. g.: "It also has the highest average high-tech salary, at 4,800/yr.". That's way below poverty level. The actual amount, eaten before the "dollar-sign" bug was fixed, was $144,800/yr. Quite a difference. :-) ... similarly with the rest of the monetary info in the parody. Correct source code, from <div class="songParodyLyrics"> to <div class="dividingLine"></div>, is attached, hopefully to make this a simple copy/paste operation, while still preserving the many kind comments and interesting discussions. Attached as both .txt and .pdf, though I'm always leery of the occasional line-wrap issues in Notepad. Hence the .pdf also. TIA.

Subject: Re: Nonsense comment, possibly from a Facebook page, appearing in my parody comments

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/01/11 at 12:54 pm

some spammers just use random crap they scrape from the web to use as as fake postings.  If they formatted their links as HTML, then the anti-HTML filter would have stripped them from the comment and just posted it without the links.

Subject: Re: Nonsense comment, possibly from a Facebook page, appearing in my parody comm

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 05/01/11 at 5:32 pm

OK, that makes sense. Didn't think about spamlinks having been auto-filtered. I'm always looking for the spooks in the shadows.  ;)

Any chance that the second part of the request (below) could be done, or should I re-post it in Bug Watch, where it was originally? ... I was pretty sure that I had attached the corrected source code to my previous post above, but don't see it now. I can re-attach, or e-mail, as you like. TIA.

Um, while I'm here, any chance that this old issue can be taken care of at some point? The song, "California!" continues to draw hits, but the dollar amounts in the footnotes make no sense as is.
E. g.: "It also has the highest average high-tech salary, at 4,800/yr.". That's way below poverty level. The actual amount, eaten before the "dollar-sign" bug was fixed, was $144,800/yr. Quite a difference. :-) ... similarly with the rest of the monetary info in the parody. Correct source code, from <div class="songParodyLyrics"> to <div class="dividingLine"></div>, is attached, hopefully to make this a simple copy/paste operation, while still preserving the many kind comments and interesting discussions. Attached as both .txt and .pdf, though I'm always leery of the occasional line-wrap issues in Notepad. Hence the .pdf also. TIA.

Subject: Re: Nonsense comment, possibly from a Facebook page, appearing in my parody comm

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/01/11 at 8:21 pm

OK, that makes sense. Didn't think about spamlinks having been auto-filtered. I'm always looking for the spooks in the shadows.  ;)

Any chance that the second part of the request (below) could be done, or should I re-post it in Bug Watch, where it was originally? ... I was pretty sure that I had attached the corrected source code to my previous post above, but don't see it now. I can re-attach, or e-mail, as you like. TIA.

I'll try and get to it tomorrow night.

Check for new replies or respond here...