inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: JavaScript for parody comments [RESOLVED] + Parody Comment Preview Capability

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 06/17/11 at 4:40 am

Seems script from amiright.com now has to be allowed in order to post comments , "But that's not how it used to be" (sorry, D McL), unless my rapidly-fading memory is incorrect.
Not a problem -- no tinfoil hat; it's all good. At a quick glance, looks like a need to differentiate IE from Firefox/Safari et al., apparently with IE instantiating an ActiveX object?  

Not a fan of making things more complex, but MS is very fond of that. I haven't touched IE in years, so -- just curious -- did they change something, that required this? It would be like MS to do that.

Side note: In the course of looking at that, it seems the parody lyrics (and footnotes >grin<) are all on one line in the page source now, which for a parody with 6300 words and 37,000 characters makes for a very loooooooooooong scroll.

Does that mean that the corrected code that I attached in the former block form here needs to be redone as one long line? I can do that, using Notepad without word wrap. Let me know the format that makes it the easiest for you, a copy/paste operation, I hope. Or did I just hallucinate this apparent change? >scratches head<

Subject: Re: Just curious about new requirement for JavaScript for parody comments

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/17/11 at 1:24 pm

I haven't changed any site code in a long time... several months probably.  Been too busy to do new stuff. 

Javascript is required in order to expose the submit field, been that way since at least 2006.

I'll have to check the carriage feed thing in the source, it's stored that way in the database, so it's entirely possible I don't add them back in there when making the page.

I need to change the captcha code to allow visually impaired visitors to submit parodies and comments, so I will be poking into that code again soon.

Subject: Re: Just curious about new requirement for JavaScript for parody comments

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 06/18/11 at 1:43 am

I haven't changed any site code in a long time... several months probably.  Been too busy to do new stuff. 

Javascript is required in order to expose the submit field, been that way since at least 2006.

Yeah, I was referring to the "comments" field, just commenting on someone else's parody. Just a day or so ago, the "comment" button wouldn't highlight, or have any effect, unless the site script was allowed. Not a problem, but if you haven't made any changes, it's ... weird.  ???

I'll have to check the carriage feed thing in the source, it's stored that way in the database, so it's entirely possible I don't add them back in there when making the page.

That, too, was a change -- page source always was in block form, which I just copy/pasted to make the fixes in the dollar-sign issue and send back to you. Don't know why that would suddenly change to no line breaks ... also weird.

Gee, maybe it really is the aliens, and the tin-foil hats would be a good idea?  :D

Subject: Re: JavaScript for parody comments - Mea Culpa - + Comment Preview Capability

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 06/18/11 at 7:03 pm

My bad.  :-

That set off a bell. I don't ever remember having to temp-allow amiright to *submit a parody*, which confirms that it's been in the whitelist all along - as it should be. Double-checked with the latest version I have, Fx 4.x, and yep, AIR is whitelisted. So somehow, in the F3 version, AIR accidentally got deleted from the w/l, or its permission revoked. Haven't submitted a parody since February (that may change soon), or I'd have noticed that the Preview/Submit function wasn't working. Sorry for the time and trouble. It's the ADD...

I checked that with Firefox 2, 3, and 4, to make sure it wasn't version-related, and all show the page source without the carriage feed in the lyrics. I don't remember it being that way before.

I need to change the captcha code to allow visually impaired visitors to submit parodies and comments, so I will be poking into that code again soon.

A good opportunity to bring up something that's been requested by a number of readers on several occasions: If you're poking into the comment code anyway, how about adding the capability to preview comments, just as we currently preview submissions and get to fix typos, etc. Would be a boon for us poor typists, especially those with flippers for hands. >grin<; make comments easier to understand (without typos, etc.), and reduce the number of times someone has to append a comment to their comment, to correct the first one. I'm sure a search will show support expressed by many -- perfect time to do it, while you're under the hood anyway.

Using the same js setup for comment preview as for parody preview wouldn't even cost you any bandwidth, right, because it all happens in the browser vs. bouncing it off your server every time. Hope this can be done easily.

Subject: Re: JavaScript for parody comments - Mea Culpa - + Comment Preview Capability

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/19/11 at 5:06 pm

A good opportunity to bring up something that's been requested by a number of readers on several occasions: If you're poking into the comment code anyway, how about adding the capability to preview comments, just as we currently preview submissions and get to fix typos, etc. Would be a boon for us poor typists, especially those with flippers for hands. >grin<; make comments easier to understand (without typos, etc.), and reduce the number of times someone has to append a comment to their comment, to correct the first one. I'm sure a search will show support expressed by many -- perfect time to do it, while you're under the hood anyway.

Using the same js setup for comment preview as for parody preview wouldn't even cost you any bandwidth, right, because it all happens in the browser vs. bouncing it off your server every time. Hope this can be done easily.

I can probably do a preview easily enough... I just need to make some time.  I think this week might be good for me.  trying to finish up a personal project this week (my mp3 collection stuff) and so I should be able to focus a little more once that's out of the way.

Check for new replies or respond here...