inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is there a reason why quoted text shrinks here?

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 09/12/11 at 5:46 am

Being a Baby Boomer who's been around for more than half a century, I'm grateful that I can still read a newspaper or whatever without glasses, in sunlight or good incandescent light. (Fluorescent is less effective, flickers, and is toxic to users and to the environment.) And even a laptop display usually requires only 1.25x reading glasses, including the main text here. But quoted text shrinks to where I have to zoom the page size, which makes the main text unnecessarily large.

So I was wondering if there was a reason for shrinking the quotes, and if any other readers also would like to see them be the same size as original text, like it is at most other forums, whether SMF or PHPbb.

Surely not more than a minute or two to change the basic style sheet where quote font size is stipulated, but it's not earthshaking if it stays the way it is. I'll survive. >wink<. Just curious. (and I'm in an ongoing ultra-multiple-quote discussion, too.)

(It could be done while you're adding the parody preview comment function, hint hint! .. ok, I'll shut up now. ;) )

Subject: Re: Is there a reason why quoted text shrinks here?

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/12/11 at 10:18 am

it's the default style sheet that SMF came with back in it's pre 1.0 days.. I just never upgraded it.  I'm still not brave enough to try upgrading the site to 2.0 yet, but I'll probably be running the default style sheets with that one too, which probably don't shrink the font so much.

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 09/12/11 at 6:54 pm

it's the default style sheet that SMF came with back in it's pre 1.0 days.. I just never upgraded it.  I'm still not brave enough to try upgrading the site to 2.0 yet, but I'll probably be running the default style sheets with that one too, which probably don't shrink the font so much.

ok thanks.
JOOC, have you ever looked at PHPbb? I DK much about the mechanics behind either one, but among the few forums that I browse, PHP seems to outnumber SMF by a good bit.
So maybe their admins find PHP better or easier to work with or whatever.
If it's a huge move to upgrade to SMF 2.0, maybe consider switching at that time, if the changeover isn't much more difficult than the upgrade? If ithe changeover would be a back-breaker, fuggeddabouddit. Just askin'...

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/13/11 at 8:48 am

ok thanks.
JOOC, have you ever looked at PHPbb? I DK much about the mechanics behind either one, but among the few forums that I browse, PHP seems to outnumber SMF by a good bit.
So maybe their admins find PHP better or easier to work with or whatever.
If it's a huge move to upgrade to SMF 2.0, maybe consider switching at that time, if the changeover isn't much more difficult than the upgrade? If ithe changeover would be a back-breaker, fuggeddabouddit. Just askin'...

PHPbb used to get hacked on a very routine basis... not sure if it's still the case or not. Spammers loved it. I picked SMF because it grew out of YaBB which I ran before they switched from PERL to PHP and called it SMF.  There's way more pain in switching from SMF to PHPbb or any other forum type than just a version upgrade of SMF.  The only reason I haven't done it yet is the message database is huge, and will likely take a good part of a weekend to upgrade.  Once it's upgraded there's no going back unless I restore a backup.  So I want to make sure I have the time to deal with it, and fix any problems that may arise.

plus vBulletin is way more popular than PHPbb any day of the week.  it's rather expensive, but it definitely handles large forums well.

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 09/14/11 at 12:11 am

PHPbb used to get hacked on a very routine basis... not sure if it's still the case or not. Spammers loved it. I picked SMF because it grew out of YaBB which I ran before they switched from PERL to PHP and called it SMF.  There's way more pain in switching from SMF to PHPbb or any other forum type than just a version upgrade of SMF.  The only reason I haven't done it yet is the message database is huge, and will likely take a good part of a weekend to upgrade.  Once it's upgraded there's no going back unless I restore a backup.  So I want to make sure I have the time to deal with it, and fix any problems that may arise.

plus vBulletin is way more popular than PHPbb any day of the week.  it's rather expensive, but it definitely handles large forums well.

wow, I had no idea that there were so many forum sw packages out there.

Looks like vBulletin not only cost $ to begin with, but also has the right to demand a share of your Google AdSense revenue, plus privacy issues, which  IMHO is pretty lousy:
Controversy over Google AdSense integration through vBulletin.com

When installing vBulletin 4 and using the AdSense integration provided by vBulletin.com, users are agreeing to allow Internet Brands to access information about the performance of their ad units. Internet Brands will also be given a monetary referral credit if someone signs up for an AdSense account through a link on any vBulletin forum rather as opposed to the owner of the forum.

The owner of the forum also agrees to potentially share revenue in the future, however this is unclear during the sign up process, and Internet Brands has yet to release a statement about how they will use the information gathered from linked AdSense accounts, leading to potential privacy issues and a competitive advantage for future Internet Brands-owned websites. While the percentage of revenue sharing is currently set to 0%, a vBulletin Team Member has stated it could be subject to change in the future. However, as per Google's AdSense rules, all users must explicitly agree to this and will be given at least 30 days notice.

SMF 2.0, released June 11, 2011, and now freely licensed under New BSD free license does seem to have some very good features, including easy modifications:
Modifications

SMF has a modification base repository for free modification hosting and tracking via the Simple Machines main site. Many modifications, or "mods" as they are usually called, have been created and distributed free of charge, including an arcade, Helpdesk, profile additions, gallery, spam filter, various SEO features, and many more. Before being listed on the SMF Mods site, the mod is validated by the SMF Team, to ensure that it complies with the SMF Coding Guidelines.

The Package Manager included in SMF is one of the flagship features. It allows an administrator to install modifications and updates to SMF without having to modify the code of the script, usually with only a few mouse clicks.

I know you know all of this, but it was for the benefit of anyone else following the thread.

Sounds really Admin- and user-friendly, and I retract the PHPbb suggestion. As for the OP, I hope they don't shrink quotes as much, but it sounds as though if they do, you could change it "with a few clicks" rather than code re-writes.  I don't envy you the changeover task  8-P, but FWIW, you have my moral support and sympathy.  8)

Karma for your time now, and for whenever the upgrade is tackled. 

Check for new replies or respond here...