inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I cannot find a way to insert paragraph breaks in a parody reply

Written By: Peregrin on 08/04/12 at 9:56 pm

Hi Chuck

I wanted to post a reply with a number of links into a parody reply, but I cannot get the paragraph breaks to display.

I am using <br><br> but to no avail.  I spoke with Meriadoc and she confirmed this works for her.

I am using Windows 7 and Google Chrome.  I have also tried it using Internet Explorer and have the same problem.

The following is an example of an old parody where I have put this to the test: 

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/beatles41.shtml

I input    test<br><br>test    but I got    testtest     as the output.

Any ideas why it would be different for me?

Subject: Re: I cannot find a way to insert paragraph breaks in a parody reply

Written By: Peregrin on 08/04/12 at 10:09 pm

I think I found the answer.

The <BR> has to be capitalised.  How emarrassing  :o

I would have deleted the post if I could have...

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 08/07/12 at 4:41 am

I think I found the answer.

The <BR> has to be capitalised.  How emarrassing  :o

I would have deleted the post if I could have...

Can't one delete one's own posts, just as one can edit them? Most forums allow this.
If not, you could always ask a friendly Moderator to delete it for you.

But it may prove to have been productive: I use a 100%-free tool called Texter (search for it) that lets you make up your own "hotstrings". When I type "b" and rapidly enter, it produces <BR> (like I just did). Really useful.

Typing "c" (for "copyright notice") and Enter =

&#169 2012 <a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~b]redacted for privacy/">Tommy Turtle</a>. All rights reserved. E-mail: tomm<a href="http://mailhide.recaptcha.net/d?k=b]redacted for privacy==&c=5tNYuh-b]redacted for privacy-KY=" onclick="window.open('http://mailhide.recaptcha.net/d?k=b]redacted for privacy==&c=5tNYuh-b]redacted for privacyH-KY=', '', 'toolbar=0,scrollbars=0,location=0,statusbar=0,menubar=0,resizable=0,width=500,height=300'); return false;" title="Reveal this e-mail address">...</a>@yahoo.com

Waay faster than copy/paste. And you can make up your own hotstrings and what they expand to. It tells me I've saved 222,172 characters of typing so far, assuming 400 characters a minute, which is way optimistic for us flippered ones.    ;)

(Why is that plain-text sentence linkified? I din't do nothin'!)

Written By: karen on 08/10/12 at 5:15 am

Can't one delete one's own posts, just as one can edit them? Most forums allow this.

You can delete posts, but you can't delete a thread you started.  Too many posters started deleting threads when things didn't go their way.

Waay faster than copy/paste. And you can make up your own hotstrings and what they expand to. It tells me I've saved 222,172 characters of typing so far, assuming 400 characters a minute, which is way optimistic for us flippered ones.    ;)

(Why is that plain-text sentence linkified? I din't do nothin'!)

You made it into a link by typing url /url  either side of it

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 08/10/12 at 7:28 pm

You can delete posts, but you can't delete a thread you started.  Too many posters started deleting threads when things didn't go their way.

Makes sense. And Peregrin did start the thread. Thanks for the info, Karen.

You made it into a link by typing url /url  either side of it

Seems that what's inside the "code" tags shouldn't affect anything else, and I repeatedly looked for anything to delete in the raw message compose, but couldn't find any sort of URL-related tags or code around or near the sentence or "link" in question. Usually, if I make em', I can break 'em (in edit).  ;) Weird "link location", too:  =http://%20and%20/

Probably not worth spending time on, unless there's some easy way to see. Thanks again, Karen.

Written By: Peregrin on 08/11/12 at 4:57 am

But it may prove to have been productive: I use a 100%-free tool called Texter (search for it) that lets you make up your own "hotstrings". When I type "b" and rapidly enter, it produces <BR> (like I just did). Really useful.

Thanks TT, I have been looking for something like this  ;)

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 08/12/12 at 3:51 am

Having to type with flippers, I couldn't live without it!  ;)

Glad you like it. >smile<

Check for new replies or respond here...