inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I Don't wanna really get into a rant here, but Rob Arndt Jr....

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/15/13 at 11:51 am

...doesn't this parody writer get on your nerves folks? I sometimes think he really pushes the line and comes across at times as a terribly-tempered bully, taking some of the spirit of what this website is supposed to do with his multiple-paragraphed commentary against those who deign to question his own politics. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but really, do we need to have this much bandwidth space devoted to this much chatter (for in this example you will note, he also seems to have scared off a newbie)?
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2010s/ladygaga161.shtml

I open the floor to Chucky and all concerned site paricipants on this matter.

Subject: Re: I Don't wanna really get into a rant here, but Rob Arndt Jr....

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/16/13 at 1:18 pm

The only comments I tend to remove are ones that cross the "personal attack" line, I've left a few that he has reported because they were clearly just responses he didn't care for. 

The political parodies have always been a hassle for the site, as are any parodies that aren't meant to be funny. I welcomed them at first, but the comments section just invites uninteresting pissing matches between people on them.

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/16/13 at 2:33 pm

It's just that when he has Comments, he goes on for lines/lines/lines and fuels the fire, sometimes inspiring more back. I see that he has disabled comments for SOME of his works. Perhaps he should do that for all of them (being as prolific as he is). :-\\

Written By: Warren on 01/03/14 at 6:36 am

Prolific I have no problem with. I do have a problem with insinuation as fact, especially when the words attack someone who isn't around to say anything. Not that TT would defend himself against an imperious user.
ChuckyG, I think your next website feature would be the ability for users to have preferences to block other users from appearing in the comments section and in the listed parody area. This wouldn't keep the other person from submitting comments or parodies. It would give users of the site an option to see who they want to see. Not sure how you'd do that, though.

Written By: philbo on 01/06/14 at 5:31 am

Just looking at the latest comments..

My word, he is a magnificently overweening, arrogant, verbose-past-the-point-of-verbal-diarrhoea, head-firmly-inserted-in-colon, arrogant, objectionable, egotistical, weasel-worded, arrogant <expletive deleted>.  And did I mention "arrogant"?

In my experience people who are so absolutely certain of their own correctness are far more likely to be wrong than people who aren't sure.

But.. I dislike censorship: I'm happier that he shows the world what a self-centred prunt he is, leaving people free to ignore him (well, maybe "happier" isn't quite the word) rather than any kind of official blocking/banning mechanism. I'm not sure it's worth trying to talk to him about it, but I'll give it a go if anyone thinks it's a good idea.

Written By: WarrenBaker on 01/06/14 at 1:47 pm

I don't want censorship either, just a preference for visitors to display only the authors he/she wants to see. I suspect that to make such a system work would require a sign in, which in some quarters is not a very popular idea. The overarching goal as always is easy navigation and few roadblocks.

We've all dealt with difficult people who seize on their own opinion as gospel, so that's nothing new. What's new is making unproven inflammatory accusations with nothing more than innuendo. It's really childish stuff. At this point, I don't believe he'll talk to anyone who disagrees with him or calls him out on his behavior because he'll see it as personal attack. I personally think he could be a very good writer, but I don't think he really tries to be better. His loss.

And Phil, tell me how you really feel  ;D

Written By: philbo on 01/24/14 at 6:32 am

And Phil, tell me how you really feel  ;D

Ahem.. ;)

Written By: ThaConqueror on 07/05/14 at 5:35 pm

Normally, I'd be loathe to post in a six-month dead topic, but this was still on the front page, so I didn't think it was worth starting a new thread to point out that Rob Arndt Jr is still being a colossal rambling jerk: http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/aliciakeys26.shtml

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/09/14 at 3:41 pm

ChuckyG, I think your next website feature would be the ability for users to have preferences to block other users from appearing in the comments section and in the listed parody area. This wouldn't keep the other person from submitting comments or parodies. It would give users of the site an option to see who they want to see. Not sure how you'd do that, though.

THIS.

He is getting worse.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/29/14 at 8:04 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/jayforeman0.shtml

8-P

Written By: philbo on 08/31/14 at 12:41 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/jayforeman0.shtml

8-P

:)

I find it amusing that the votes on that parody were all good until I pointed out why Rob's choice of alternative line wouldn't work & it went a bit downhill from there.. then the 1s come out.  If it's not Rob himself doing the voting, there's some other odd sort of chap who takes offence on his behalf.

Been a bit of an eye-opener: Rob seems to have complete absolute zero appreciation of what everyone* else on amiright considers makes a good parody, like scansion, wit and wordplay. He really doesn't seem to notice that his parodies don't keep rhyme scheme, scan appallingly and have nothing of interest to anyone who's not a similarly humourless weapon-worshipper.

* well, maybe *nearly* everyone

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/31/14 at 9:41 pm

:)

I find it amusing that the votes on that parody were all good until I pointed out why Rob's choice of alternative line wouldn't work & it went a bit downhill from there.. then the 1s come out.  If it's not Rob himself doing the voting, there's some other odd sort of chap who takes offence on his behalf.

Been a bit of an eye-opener: Rob seems to have complete absolute zero appreciation of what everyone* else on amiright considers makes a good parody, like scansion, wit and wordplay. He really doesn't seem to notice that his parodies don't keep rhyme scheme, scan appallingly and have nothing of interest to anyone who's not a similarly humourless weapon-worshipper.

* well, maybe *nearly* everyone

he definitely stuffs his votes himself.  I've knocked them back a few times only for him to start up again when I stop paying attention.  I'm at the point where I wouldn't mind just out right banning him. I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth about his medical conditions or any thing he claims to be an expert in either for that matter. 

Written By: philbo on 09/01/14 at 4:06 am

he definitely stuffs his votes himself.

In a way, I'm relieved: it means the number of humourless jerks who think that votes amiright are really important might just be as low as one

There's a certain amount of evidence for the eidetic nature of his memory (not that this equals "expertise") & it would go some way towards explaining his somewhat less endearing personality traits. But I wouldn't be distraught if he were banned: he manages to be quite excessively boorish at times & I can't help but feel the site would be a happier one without his presence (albeit quite a bit quieter)

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/02/14 at 9:43 am

Now I suspect that he has multiple IDs to puff his image or play like others are fighting against him. See below how "Nazi Hunter" complains that Rob deletes his comments, which is obviously something Rob has no power to do.

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/traditional2286.shtml

Written By: philbo on 09/20/16 at 5:22 pm

A parallel has just struck me: someone else who has an extraordinarily thin skin, responds to criticism with insults, uses sockpuppets for the purposes of self-aggrandisement, bullies and has a massively over-inflated view of his own intellect and importance to a point way beyond mere self-delusion...

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/21/16 at 10:05 am

I have made my peace with Mr. Arndt. He has calmed down a little, from what I have seen.

Written By: philbo on 09/22/16 at 10:24 am

ISTM more like he has quietened down because people aren't contradicting him as much... I do my best to ignore, & I'm probably not the only one.

But he still reacts boorishly even for things that aren't actually criticism, and I wouldn't mind betting quite a few of the pseudonymous commenters are him, too (even though it is possible that more than one person has the same torpid and verbose writing style).

Check for new replies or respond here...