inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Don't know if I should report this commenter

Written By: ThaConqueror on 12/02/20 at 5:28 pm

A couple of recent parodies of mine ("Bop It, Pull It, Twist It, Kill It" and "Tornado") have had comments written under "the_conqueror_of_parodies" saying thanks for the comments other people have left. My feelings on this have been expressed in a comment that I left on the first one:

I mean, it says in my author page that "Due to reasons of "not wanting to type out my whole name as I didn't have/wasn't aware of the auto-recall feature at the time", I go by bobpiecheese in the comments." so someone's using my name. But on the other hand, they're just using it to write the kind of banal "thank you" comment that I always feel awkward writing because it's vague enough to feel insincere for some reason (probably the Asperger's, I dunno), so unless this ends up being a precursor to some hate comments, reporting it feels like it'd only feed that one troll who takes my previously-stated awkwardness as arrogance.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Subject: Re: Don't know if I should report this commenter

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/14/20 at 10:32 am

It is wrong for someone to be posting under someone else's screen name indeed, but I have no idea on  how to police that.  :-[

Written By: philbo on 03/13/21 at 12:30 pm

It is wrong for someone to be posting under someone else's screen name indeed, but I have no idea on  how to police that.  :-[

I think the discussion about implementing some kind of login went years ago: I think Chucky preferred lower barriers to interaction over registration. People like this have been and gone before... I think the only current method of restriction without implementing a registration scheme would be via IP address, which is a bit of a blunt hammer to hit things with

Having said that.. It would be fairly simple for Chucky to check a parody author's password, and implement a "this the actual parody author" flag for those comments where the password matches (I quite like the idea of having a link saying "this user posts from the same IP address as <author>")...but I'm not in charge of writing stuff for the website

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/16/21 at 7:34 am

I think the discussion about implementing some kind of login went years ago: I think Chucky preferred lower barriers to interaction over registration. People like this have been and gone before... I think the only current method of restriction without implementing a registration scheme would be via IP address, which is a bit of a blunt hammer to hit things with

Having said that.. It would be fairly simple for Chucky to check a parody author's password, and implement a "this the actual parody author" flag for those comments where the password matches (I quite like the idea of having a link saying "this user posts from the same IP address as <author>")...but I'm not in charge of writing stuff for the website

if we had more traffic I would most likely need to do that. Implementing a "verified parody author" tag is definitely something I've considered in the past. 

For now the culprit has had their comments removed, and will continue to have their comments removed.

Written By: philbo on 03/17/21 at 12:54 pm

if we had more traffic I would most likely need to do that. Implementing a "verified parody author" tag is definitely something I've considered in the past. 

For now the culprit has had their comments removed, and will continue to have their comments removed.

One of the less palatable behaviours shown by some trollish commentators is posting a comment pretending to be someone else (I've had a few, e.g. http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/beatles942.shtml, but I've notice a few Michael Pacholek comments that definitely weren't from him)

Feels like it's always the same Trump-supporting crowd doing it, but it is possible that someone might have posted something sensible pretending to be one of them, and I hadn't noticed :)

A "Verified parody author" tag is something I'd very much like to see (would be happy to do the dev on it, if finding time is a problem.. I bounce around from one tech to another enough times a day these days that I don't really care how things are written :-) )

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/17/21 at 8:37 pm

One of the less palatable behaviours shown by some trollish commentators is posting a comment pretending to be someone else (I've had a few, e.g. http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/beatles942.shtml, but I've notice a few Michael Pacholek comments that definitely weren't from him)

Feels like it's always the same Trump-supporting crowd doing it, but it is possible that someone might have posted something sensible pretending to be one of them, and I hadn't noticed :)

A "Verified parody author" tag is something I'd very much like to see (would be happy to do the dev on it, if finding time is a problem.. I bounce around from one tech to another enough times a day these days that I don't really care how things are written :-) )

I'd be embarrassed to have anyone see how I wrote the code for the site.  It's a miracle it's run for over 20 years now all things considered.

Check for new replies or respond here...