inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Well, unless everyone who visited the site this weekend likes Pearl Jam...

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/22/06 at 9:00 pm

I have a feeling whoever submitted the latest quiz on the site did something I've been hoping people would do.  Which is post a link to their quiz on a forum devoted to the band their quiz is about.  Excellent exposure for their quiz (and the site, we need all the exposure we can get!). 

280 tries in less than 48 hours.  Probably a record for the site.

Subject: Re: Well, unless everyone who visited the site this weekend likes Pearl Jam...

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/22/06 at 9:15 pm

Correction, less than 12 hours, and it went up by at least twenty tries in the past half hour. 

My wife also noticed I had the "latest quizzes" month name off by a month.  How embarassing.  Guess no one else noticed it this week.

Yup.  The site is still really new and working out kinks.  I should be done the massive quiz re-naming tonight as well.

Subject: Re: Well, unless everyone who visited the site this weekend likes Pearl Jam...

Written By: whistledog on 10/22/06 at 9:16 pm

That is a good idea.  I've thought about doing some artist quizzes, the only thing is that most of the bands/singers I know about are not known by everyone ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/22/06 at 10:21 pm

That is a good idea.  I've thought about doing some artist quizzes, the only thing is that most of the bands/singers I know about are not known by everyone ;D

wouldn't matter if they had a small following online.  For example, if you wrote a Doug and the Slugs quiz, and then posted it to the forum devoted to them, it would probably get a bunch of hits from the followers of the site because everyone who visits that particular site would want to boast about their score (or complain about it).

and I know there's a Doug and the Slugs forum, because someone was nice enough to send me a CD-R of one of their very out of print CDs when I was collecting the Canadian top 40.  If a Canadian band that's almost unheard of outside of Canada has a devoted following online, I'm sure there's a bunch more who do as well.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/22/06 at 10:25 pm

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=220339

Looks like the person writing the quiz screwed up one of the answers though.  I guess if you're going to post it to a fan forum, you better know your stuff!

Written By: whistledog on 10/23/06 at 6:47 pm

wouldn't matter if they had a small following online.  For example, if you wrote a Doug and the Slugs quiz, and then posted it to the forum devoted to them, it would probably get a bunch of hits from the followers of the site because everyone who visits that particular site would want to boast about their score (or complain about it).

and I know there's a Doug and the Slugs forum, because someone was nice enough to send me a CD-R of one of their very out of print CDs when I was collecting the Canadian top 40.  If a Canadian band that's almost unheard of outside of Canada has a devoted following online, I'm sure there's a bunch more who do as well.

It's funny you mention that.  I actually was considering doing a Doug and the Slugs quiz :o

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/23/06 at 9:17 pm

It's funny you mention that.  I actually was considering doing a Doug and the Slugs quiz :o

and I see now that you did. For some reason, they're always the first band I think of when I think of bands from Canada with little to no national US presence on the radio. 

then there are the Canadian acts I WISH had little to no national presence on the radio... Celine Dion for instance

Written By: whistledog on 10/23/06 at 10:32 pm

and I see now that you did. For some reason, they're always the first band I think of when I think of bands from Canada with little to no national US presence on the radio. 

then there are the Canadian acts I WISH had little to no national presence on the radio... Celine Dion for instance

It could have been due to their videos, which might have been too goofy for MTV.  I still think that they only became so popular in Canada because of the CanCon rules.  With a name like Doug and the Slugs, you wouldn't think they would have as many hits as they did  ;D

I hear ya about Celine.  In the days when Quebec wanted to separate, all I thought about was that Celine would no longer be considered Canadian, and that made me happy  :-[  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/26/06 at 1:49 pm

I shamelessly wrote one about fark.com for today, to see if it was submitted whether anyone would try it or not.  It appears to be getting a lot of traffic.

I also wrote one about Harvey Danger (whom I enjoy quite a bit), and submitted it to a Harvey Danger forum.  Not as dramatic a response, but it's getting some tries as well. 

Check for new replies or respond here...