inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A tool for helping to build multiple choice quizzes

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/27/06 at 11:00 am

Would it be helpful for people to create "foils" if there was some sort of random band/movie/tv show name fill in option, based on the name of the show being filled in?

So, let's say you're making a music quiz.

Question:  Who sang "You Spin Me Baby, Right Round (Like a Record)"?
Answer: Dead Or Alive
Foil 1:
Foil 2:
Foil 3:

I could write a piece of script that would search a database of the most popular bands and fill in those blanks, which you could then edit if you didn't like the choices.

so you hit the button and now you have...

Question:  Who sang "You Spin Me Baby, Right Round (Like a Record)"?
Answer: Dead Or Alive
Foil 1:  Duran Duran
Foil 2: Aerosmith
Foil 3: The Beatles

and then maybe if you blank out the Beatles, and hit the button again, it would just fill in that blank for you.

Subject: Re: A tool for helping to build multiple choice quizzes

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/27/06 at 3:25 pm

I went ahead and built something like what I described.

It guesses at the band name you fill in for an answer, but the data I used for estimating bands active at the same time, seems to be a little too generous with the range (who cares if Chuck Berry was still writing in the 80s, if I select an 80s band I ain't thinking of him!).

So once I get some time to trim down the active years to make it more like "height of popularity" it should be way better. Still, it's pretty handy.  If you think it's useful let me know.

Check for new replies or respond here...