inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New quiz stuff

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/31/06 at 11:51 am

I made an addition to the submission page, to allow people to assign a custom title or rank that people will obtain based on their test score.

So if you want, you could say anyone who gets 81%-100% is an expert, 61%-80% is average, etc.

I'm also debating about whether I should add another field for people to enter "additional info about the correct answer".  I wrote the ability into the software, but haven't put it on the quiz form because it's already getting so big.  Basically, if you wanted to make a multiple choice lyrics quiz, and wanted people to guess the performer (like the one on the front page of amIright), you could just put the performers in the answers, and then in the optional field you could enter the title of the song, which would then show up next to the correct answer.

Subject: Re: New quiz stuff

Written By: philbo on 12/21/06 at 2:57 pm

I like that last idea.  I'd also like to have enough time to enter the info - could you add a time loop as part of the data entry form ;)

Also - a request from a child of mine: would you be able to have a quiz linking to a set of sound files (I've done ones like this on this forum before) - ideally it would mean being able to upload snippets short enough to avoid copyright/replay fees (I'm not sure what the max you're allowed is, but a few seconds should be all you need to get the song anyway), alternatively assume that the files are up there somewhere and only require linking.  Any chance?

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/22/06 at 9:27 am

I like that last idea.  I'd also like to have enough time to enter the info - could you add a time loop as part of the data entry form ;)

Which one do you mean?

Also - a request from a child of mine: would you be able to have a quiz linking to a set of sound files (I've done ones like this on this forum before) - ideally it would mean being able to upload snippets short enough to avoid copyright/replay fees (I'm not sure what the max you're allowed is, but a few seconds should be all you need to get the song anyway), alternatively assume that the files are up there somewhere and only require linking.  Any chance?

I'd like to do that, not just with audio but pictures as well.  It's not a technical issue, I could easily code it.  It's the copyright issues.  I think with me reviewing all the entries ahead of time, I'm setting myself up for the headache of having to review sound clips/images for copyright issues too.  It would definitely be more interesting than what is up there right now, that I know.

Maybe I should just code something and worry about the copyright issues if an when they arise. 

Written By: philbo on 12/22/06 at 2:04 pm

Which one do you mean?

I was thinking of a time loop like Hermione uses in one of the Harry Potter films so that I could re-use the time adding the extra details.  I've only just found enough time to do one quiz as it is.

I'd like to do that, not just with audio but pictures as well.  It's not a technical issue, I could easily code it.  It's the copyright issues.  I think with me reviewing all the entries ahead of time, I'm setting myself up for the headache of having to review sound clips/images for copyright issues too.  It would definitely be more interesting than what is up there right now, that I know.

Maybe I should just code something and worry about the copyright issues if an when they arise. 

Just post 'em and when someone complains say "sorry" and remove the offending material from the site?  How litigious is the RIAA over there?

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/22/06 at 2:19 pm

I was thinking of a time loop like Hermione uses in one of the Harry Potter films so that I could re-use the time adding the extra details.  I've only just found enough time to do one quiz as it is.

I think that only works for British girls.  Explains how Rowling is able to write those long books so quickly.  I think Stephen King has one too though

Just post 'em and when someone complains say "sorry" and remove the offending material from the site?  How litigious is the RIAA over there?

Depends on who does it, and what they do, etc.  There's so many websites that clearly just post scads of copyrighted stuff and seem to have no problems with it.  I've always tried to steer clear of it entirely, rather than have to worry about it later.

Check for new replies or respond here...