inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ugh, talk about wasted opportunity

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/13/06 at 8:15 pm

I had a link on fark.com that was getting tons of clicks, and it turns out the person who submitted it to fark submitted it wrong.  So the quiz came up OK, but when they hit score it didn't work.  Turns out there's some weird browser issue, that if you have a slash at the end of a URL, and you use a relative link instead of an absolute link an HTML form, it screws up the URL.

300 bad links just from today, because someone was trying to avoid the fark duplicate URL filter.  makes the site look bad, which is definitely something I don't want.  I figured out how to solve the issue, but it's probably too late now.

Subject: Re: Ugh, talk about wasted opportunity

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/13/06 at 10:44 pm

I figured out how to solve the issue, but it's probably too late now.

Solve it.  I wasn't the submitter, but a few clicks of random source links from Fark should give you everything you need to know about how Fark tracks whether its original users click on the link to the source article, and a bit of testing with IE and Firefox should tell you what those browsers will tell your webserver about their referrer.

It's Fark, it'll happen again eventually, and when it does, it will have been worth it.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/14/06 at 6:18 am

Solve it.  I wasn't the submitter, but a few clicks of random source links from Fark should give you everything you need to know about how Fark tracks whether its original users click on the link to the source article, and a bit of testing with IE and Firefox should tell you what those browsers will tell your webserver about their referrer.

It's Fark, it'll happen again eventually, and when it does, it will have been worth it.

oh don't worry, I did.  I have a friend with TotalFark (I used to, but it was too tempting to sit there all day and scan through the garbage submitted).  Between my logs, and the dozens of comments, I figured out what they did, and what to do to prevent a repeat.  Just annoyed I didn't see it sooner.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/14/06 at 11:45 pm

oh don't worry, I did.  I have a friend with TotalFark (I used to, but it was too tempting to sit there all day and scan through the garbage submitted).  Between my logs, and the dozens of comments, I figured out what they did, and what to do to prevent a repeat.  Just annoyed I didn't see it sooner.

Heh.  Good on ya.  The day I retire is the day I join TF.  I wast^H^H^H^Hspend enough time reading plain old greenlit Fark as it stands.  TF could keep me busy for 18 hours a day.

Check for new replies or respond here...