inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: DNS Problems with AMIRIGHT

Written By: DoRitos on 09/11/04 at 7:59 am

Is AMIRIGHT down this morning?  Can't seem to resolve DNS to get to the site.  Anyone else having problems?

Subject: Re: DNS Problems with AMIRIGHT

Written By: adagio on 09/11/04 at 8:04 am

Yes, busy or broken server it says.

Written By: Peregrin on 09/11/04 at 8:11 am

I have recently switched to using Mozilla Firefiox for my browser.

It gave me a somewhat vague message :

The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.amiright.com

I am glad you have stated that it is DNS resolution that is at issue, because the above message told me diddly-squat above that which I already knew  ::)

Written By: DoRitos on 09/11/04 at 8:17 am

Computer generated error messages are only as smart as the programmer planned for.  Take the out of memory and resources message that you sometimes get in Windows.  It is 99% of the time incorrect.  That is because it is the default error message when no other abort condition matches.  In other words not even Microsoft knows what happened. (which is no surprise)  The indication that I got that it was DNS may not be even close to what is actually going on. 

Written By: Peregrin on 09/11/04 at 8:24 am

Computer generated error messages are only as smart as the programmer planned for.  Take the out of memory and resources message that you sometimes get in Windows.  It is 99% of the time incorrect.  That is because it is the default error message when no other abort condition matches.  In other words not even Microsoft knows what happened. (which is no surprise)  The indication that I got that it was DNS may not be even close to what is actually going on. 

Whatever it was, it ain't no more, as it is now working !  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/11/04 at 8:45 am

So,why does DNS errors happen?  ???

Howard

Written By: DoRitos on 09/11/04 at 9:08 am

So,why does DNS errors happen?  ???

Howard

DNS is the same thing on your computer as 411 is on your phone.  You give it a name and it gives you a number (IP Address).  If the database in the server that services the entry that you are trying to get to is having problems then the conversion from WWW sitename to IP address is not passed or passed incorrectly back to your browser and you get an error.  It could be any number of things that go wrong.  Bottom line is that you don't get the IP info that you need to access the site that you are trying to reach.  This is as simplistic as it can be for a general explanation of what happens. 

Written By: Howard on 09/11/04 at 9:12 am

DNS is the same thing on your computer as 411 is on your phone.  You give it a name and it gives you a number (IP Address).  If the database in the server that services the entry that you are trying to get to is having problems then the conversion from WWW sitename to IP address is not passed or passed incorrectly back to your browser and you get an error.  It could be any number of things that go wrong.  Bottom line is that you don't get the IP info that you need to access the site that you are trying to reach.  This is as simplistic as it can be for a general explanation of what happens. 

Thanks a lot Doritos. ;)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 09/11/04 at 9:13 am

So,what would be the difference betweeen a DNL and a DNS?

Howard

Written By: DoRitos on 09/11/04 at 9:35 am

So,what would be the difference betweeen a DNL and a DNS?

Howard

I think what you are referring to is Domain Network Liaison. I found the following on a google search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Domain+Network+Liaison&btnG=Google+Search&X=1

Not something I know a lot about.  Maybe you can find something in these search results to satisfy your curiosity. 

Written By: Howard on 09/11/04 at 9:37 am

I think what you are referring to is Domain Network Liaison. I found the following on a google search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Domain+Network+Liaison&btnG=Google+Search&X=1

Not something I know a lot about.  Maybe you can find something in these search results to satisfy your curiosity. 

Thanks again Doritos,you're a big help. :)

Howard

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/11/04 at 1:15 pm

it should be fine now, the server was crashed... strange way though, it was allowing me to get email, but the Apache process died..

anyways, I updated the parodies and rebooted it.

Check for new replies or respond here...