inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Images in taglines/signatures

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/16/04 at 8:39 am

The amount and size of the images people are signing their messages with is getting a little out of hand.  Can we all agree to use smaller images or should I just prevent the linking to images in signature lines altogether?

Subject: Re: Images in taglines/signatures

Written By: mrgazpacho on 12/16/04 at 10:08 pm

I vote to disallow them - as has been done in every other board I've ever attended... :)

Written By: Howard on 12/17/04 at 6:37 pm

Why would it be getting out of hand? I don't understand. ???

Howard

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/17/04 at 11:04 pm

I visit some other forums where the images are 4 times bigger than the posts - so I am all for having a size limit.

Written By: Hairspray on 12/18/04 at 3:43 am

I'm thinking if the members with the larger pics don't begin to reduce the size of their present sig pics within a reasonable time frame, then we should disallow the linking to images in signature lines.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/18/04 at 6:42 am

I visit some other forums where the images are 4 times bigger than the posts - so I am all for having a size limit.

I like the idea of a size limit, but not sure if it's possible.  I'll look into it though.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/18/04 at 11:09 am

I agree.  It can be very distracting.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/04 at 5:42 pm

Yes.I agree.maybe if people would use smaller images,that would be fine. :)

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/19/04 at 12:56 pm

I would be MORE than happy to shrink a sig picture...problem is I can't just pull a picture from my hard drive and use it as a sig pic....it has to be linked. I was VERY happy that we are able to link form our hard drive for our avatars though. My current pic is an animation of my boys and I don't have a clue how to shrink animated Gifs. IF we could put stuff from our hard drives in Sig lines I would definately cooperate with the size limit :)

Written By: Howard on 12/19/04 at 5:36 pm

If my pic in my signature is way too big,I would be happy to either shrink it or have it removed. :)

Howard

Written By: Hairspray on 12/19/04 at 6:35 pm

ChuckyG,

How big is too big in your opinion?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/19/04 at 10:20 pm

ChuckyG,

How big is too big in your opinion?
AND why can't we upload images from our computer hard drive...like we can with avatar pics?

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/20/04 at 8:17 am

Signatures for us old timers who have been around since the days of FIDO NET BBS's (and other stuff from the 80s), was traditionally three lines of text (no ability to attach pictures at all).

I set it at 60 pixels, maybe I'll bump it up to 100px, but even that's pretty excessive in my opinion.

just call me Scrooge I guess.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/20/04 at 12:11 pm

Signatures for us old timers who have been around since the days of FIDO NET BBS's (and other stuff from the 80s), was traditionally three lines of text (no ability to attach pictures at all).

I set it at 60 pixels, maybe I'll bump it up to 100px, but even that's pretty excessive in my opinion.

just call me Scrooge I guess.
I understand Chucky...but how about allowing pics from our hard drive...like we can already do with our avatar pics. And I would ask if you could please let me know how to shrink the size of an animated gif? I appreciate anything you can tell me or do as far as the pics being uploaded from our hard drives ;)

Written By: nally on 12/20/04 at 2:18 pm

At least I get to see two of the dolphins in my pic. :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/20/04 at 2:33 pm

At least I get to see two of the dolphins in my pic. :-\\
My kids weren't as lucky...they were cut in half :-\\

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 12/20/04 at 5:39 pm

I think things should be kept they way they were. Sig lines are a way to express one's creativity and interests. Don't ruin it for the rest of us because one or two people have gone way overboard with sig lines. I've enjoyed having mine up!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Howard on 12/20/04 at 6:43 pm

So,you're saying the smaller it is the better it is? ???

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/20/04 at 6:45 pm

My kids weren't as lucky...they were cut in half :-\\

So was the guy's afro.What the hell was that all about? :-\\

Howard

Written By: Hairspray on 12/20/04 at 8:33 pm

??? Oh no! My sun!!!!! :o

Ah well. Even I'm not immune to change.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/20/04 at 9:52 pm

At least you still have Duran Duran, Spray. ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/20/04 at 10:13 pm

I think things should be kept they way they were. Sig lines are a way to express one's creativity and interests. Don't ruin it for the rest of us because one or two people have gone way overboard with sig lines. I've enjoyed having mine up!

Absolutely Vile

you can still have a sig,the size just needs to be reigned in.  When a two line post is ecliped by a 200 pixel signature, it tends to overpower anything being written.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/20/04 at 10:41 pm

you can still have a sig,the size just needs to be reigned in.  When a two line post is ecliped by a 200 pixel signature, it tends to overpower anything being written.
do you mean 200 in height?? Would 150 be alright?? I really hate the size it is now...60??

Written By: MooRocca on 12/21/04 at 9:06 am

I would be MORE than happy to shrink a sig picture...problem is I can't just pull a picture from my hard drive and use it as a sig pic....it has to be linked. I was VERY happy that we are able to link form our hard drive for our avatars though. My current pic is an animation of my boys and I don't have a clue how to shrink animated Gifs. IF we could put stuff from our hard drives in Sig lines I would definately cooperate with the size limit :)

First, make a copy of the original graphic -- save it in a different directory or with a different name than the regular sized one, so you'll still have the original.  I didn't hunt down software titles for you, Tucows probably has a handful of shareware editors to choose from if you want to go that route.  You can also manipulate the copy you made on your hard drive, for free, with the online editor at http://www.gifworks.com/  (I've never had a reason to use or work with liquid graphics, so I haven't used this site, myself.)   After you've edited the copy on your hard drive and saved your changes, upload it to your web space.  If the file name differs from the original you were using, you'll still have your original stored on your webspace, too and you'll need to edit your sig file to point to the new file.  If you kept the name by saving the copy in a different directory on your hard drive, uploading it to the same directory as the original on your webspace will overwrite the original and you shouldn't need to edit your sig file.   

(Chucky could answer this much better than I could, but I'll take a wild guess, here...) I would assume we cannot upload sig file graphics to Chucky's server space either due to software limitations or in the interests of conserving his server space and bandwidth.   Even if he has unlimited bandwidth and storage, it's still pretty generous of him to let us use his bandwidth and space to serve our avatars.  Throw all those sig file graphics onto his server, too, and it might start to slow things down a bit. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/21/04 at 12:28 pm

The software isn't designed to allow uploads of images for signatures, I'd have to make significant changes to allow it to do that.  Probably not something I'd have time to do (trying to write some Flash applications at the moment).

Bandwidth (the amount of stuff downloaded from the site) is probably not a major concern with the messageboard, since the messageboard is on a server with a lot of low traffic websites (my onlyonfilm site, which keeps suffering from configuration issues for example) and I'm allowed something like 800gig of traffic in one month for this server.  The messageboard could probably be twice as busy and still not come close to hitting that.  I'm more concerned with the server crashing due to bad hardware at the moment than bandwidth concerns. (It hasn't crashed in a week now! The previous problem is probably solved).

The signature field is not intended to be an art gallery.  It's meant for a line or two to sign your messages.  I'll bump it up to 100 pixels, which is the same as an avatar.  I think even that's a little on the large side though.

Written By: Hairspray on 12/21/04 at 12:33 pm

At least you still have Duran Duran, Spray. ;)

That's right. Thanks, Dagny. :)

Written By: Howard on 12/21/04 at 4:05 pm

So,is that why pictures are reduced to half or 1? ???
It's like you can't even see it. :-\\

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...