inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Emo Issue

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/09/05 at 7:55 am

Af'noon people,

I wonderd if anybody else was having issues with smileys they seem to work fine, until i click on one to use it, then they all stop moving and i get a notice at the bottom of my screen telling me there is a 'javascript void'

Could be just me as i have been tinckering with settings today, may be a problem, not too sure aboot that one.

Also, The additional options bit at the bottom of the Post Space is staying open and rufuseing to bugger off.

Subject: Re: Emo Issue

Written By: karen on 03/09/05 at 9:38 am

testing testing

:D  :o  :P  ::)

Written By: karen on 03/09/05 at 9:38 am

It's you then

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/09/05 at 9:40 am

It's me.. well rather, it's my Internet Explorer.. and other Windows programs. I got the auto updates from windows today, and ever since.. half my programs havent worked properly. I am useing firefox now and watch..  ;D :D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\\ :-* :\'( :) ;)

Written By: Mirrorshades on 03/09/05 at 11:01 am

It's me.. well rather, it's my Internet Explorer.. and other Windows programs. I got the auto updates from windows today, and ever since.. half my programs havent worked properly. I am useing firefox now and watch..  ;D :D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\\ :-* :\'( :) ;)

javascript setting in Internet Explorer perhaps? Are you running some sort of third party ad blocker which might be incompatible with the newer IE that was most likely installed during the windows update?

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/09/05 at 11:04 am

Look at the brain on you.. after much deliberation i finally worked out it was basically what you said there. However i had my computer in front of me, you worked it out.. from.. well.. being a bit more computer clued up than moi.

I am currently working on it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/09/05 at 11:07 am

Look at the brain on you.. after much deliberation i finally worked out it was basically what you said there. However i had my computer in front of me, you worked it out.. from.. well.. being a bit more computer clued up than moi.

I am currently working on it. Thanks for your thoughts.

do share it when you figure it out... I'm sure someone else will encounter it too...

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/09/05 at 11:14 am

It was more or less what Mirrorshades said. The update was messing with my Antivirus script blocker. I have messed with some bits and bobs and we seem to be ok. However i am sticking with Firefox IMO it is superior to IE

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/09/05 at 11:24 am

It was more or less what Mirrorshades said. The update was messing with my Antivirus script blocker. I have messed with some bits and bobs and we seem to be ok. However i am sticking with Firefox IMO it is superior to IE

Mirrorshades is my IE alter-ego (test account)

Firefox is definitely the superior product, and will cut down on the viruses you get.  I still find I need IE for the occasionaly thing or two though.  Plus, with the rise of Firefox, viruses will most likely end up getting written for it.  Though the few that have been written, have been patched in a matter of days (not months like Microsoft), so as long as you keep it up to date, it shoulod be fine).

If the IE update killed your antivirus, I'm sure they have a new update for the program (not that I would ever encourage anyone to switch back to IE).

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/09/05 at 11:27 am

Firefox is definitely the superior product, and will cut down on the viruses you get.  I still find I need IE for the occasionaly thing or two though.  Plus, with the rise of Firefox, viruses will most likely end up getting written for it.  Though the few that have been written, have been patched in a matter of days (not months like Microsoft), so as long as you keep it up to date, it shoulod be fine).

If the IE update killed your antivirus, I'm sure they have a new update for the program (not that I would ever encourage anyone to switch back to IE).

I have banished all Microsoft from my system Even got rid of media player  :o and it's all working great. Yeah i noticed that as well that Firefox patches are almost instant.

Written By: karen on 03/10/05 at 9:06 am

the mystery is solved!  I was wondering why mirrorshades logged in but didn't post.  I was close with my guess as to who it might be

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/10/05 at 11:36 am

the mystery is solved!  I was wondering why mirrorshades logged in but didn't post.  I was close with my guess as to who it might be

yeah.. on my work machine, if I click on a link in an email, it auto-launches IE.  I'd change it, but I have to support crap written exclusively for IE, so it's kind of an evil necessary.  So just as easy to use it with an alternate account.

So if your message is reported to moderator and deleted, it wasn't me, it was MirrorShades... an alias that dates back to my BBS days.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/11/05 at 10:41 am

I just discovered Firefox (thanks to my brother) and I am finding that I do like it much better than IE. He also installed AVG anti-virus which he said is much better (and cheaper) than Norton. (Just a little FYI for everyone)

Cat

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/11/05 at 10:43 am

I just discovered Firefox (thanks to my brother) and I am finding that I do like it much better than IE. He also installed AVG anti-virus which he said is much better (and cheaper) than Norton. (Just a little FYI for everyone)

and for those of us who are TOTAL cheap bastards. Avast is an excellent anti-virus.. and it's.. FREE!

Written By: Howard on 03/11/05 at 1:41 pm

and for those of us who are TOTAL cheap bastards. Avast is an excellent anti-virus.. and it's.. FREE!

Could you download it somewhere? ???

Howard

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/11/05 at 1:44 pm

Could you download it somewhere? ???

Yeah Howard, just type Avast in to a http://www.google.com search and it should bring up the webstie for you, look around the site and download it from there, it is a good program. You can register it for free with them as long as you are just useing it at home, which i assume you will be.

Written By: Howard on 03/11/05 at 1:47 pm

Avast seems like a good protector and has been in business for 17 years.
Let me see what my Father has to say about this.

Howard

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/11/05 at 1:49 pm

Avast seems like a good protector and has been in business for 17 years.
Let me see what my Father has to say about this.

Howard

Okey Dokey, if you already have Norton or McAfee then keep them, but if you don't have anything protecting you then i would adivse you to use it. I had Norton and actually got a virus, since i have used Avast i haven't got anything.

Written By: Howard on 03/11/05 at 2:03 pm

Okey Dokey, if you already have Norton or McAfee then keep them, but if you don't have anything protecting you then i would adivse you to use it. I had Norton and actually got a virus, since i have used Avast i haven't got anything.

Thanks Al. :)

Howard

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/11/05 at 2:05 pm

Thanks Al. :)

Quite alright mate, tell me how you get on with it.

Written By: Howard on 03/11/05 at 2:30 pm

Quite alright mate, tell me how you get on with it.

I sure will :)

Howard

Written By: Sugafairey on 04/20/05 at 11:42 am

I have the Javascript problem but am a complete idiot when it comes to computers, it happened when i downloaded new antivirus software. Do you think it's the same problem, if so, could i maybe get some simple advice to help my small brain??

thanking you...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/20/05 at 1:13 pm

I have the Javascript problem but am a complete idiot when it comes to computers, it happened when i downloaded new antivirus software. Do you think it's the same problem, if so, could i maybe get some simple advice to help my small brain??

thanking you...

I too seem to have a javascipt problem. I like to go to Pogo (which is a game site) and it doesn't work with Firefox and I have to use IE (and even then it still messes up). Do you IE, Firefox or something else?

Cat

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/20/05 at 3:40 pm

I too seem to have a javascipt problem. I like to go to Pogo (which is a game site) and it doesn't work with Firefox and I have to use IE (and even then it still messes up). Do you IE, Firefox or something else?

Cat, click on the icon just under your 'X' button.

That should take you to the Firefox homepage which usually tells you if there are any updates available.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/21/05 at 11:15 am

Cat, click on the icon just under your 'X' button.

That should take you to the Firefox homepage which usually tells you if there are any updates available.

Thanks.

Cat

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/21/05 at 5:22 pm

Just to jack the thread in to a Firefox user corner ::)

Firefox dosen't support some things.. and there just ain't nuttin' you can do about it.

Launch Yahoo (The Video Streamload site) dosen't work. Just won't.

I assume eventually it will.. there are maybe 4 or 5 sites i have come across that don't support it.. compared to the 879,045 that make Internet Explorer crash  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...