inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Overposting

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 03/27/05 at 4:07 am

Judging by comments to me via PM I know I am not the only person who is really "over" the overposting by some of the newer and younger members.

20 posts within an hour asking inane questions like "what do you talk about in a conversation", "did the 80's finish in 95" etc etc etc.

Perhaps something like a flood control would be warranted ? Or a maximum amount of posts per day per member ?

Either that - or a new forum for inane subject matter for the under 16's !!!!!!!!!!

Subject: Re: Overposting

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/27/05 at 5:55 am

Well i never, not more inane posting by teenies..

we have the same trouble here in England.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/27/05 at 7:00 am

Some people overpost probably because they want to make more friends or they just want to bug the hell out of the members here. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/05 at 7:15 am

Well i never, not more inane posting by teenies..

we have the same trouble here in England.  ::)
Oh, don't I know it, don't remind me!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/27/05 at 8:30 am

Oh, don't I know it, don't remind me!

Thankfully I have escaped it  f-o-r-e-v-e-r!!!  H-U-R-R-A-Y-Y-Y-Y :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/05 at 9:06 am

Thankfully I have escaped it  f-o-r-e-v-e-r!!!  H-U-R-R-A-Y-Y-Y-Y :)
I hope that the encounter will be a one-off.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/27/05 at 12:57 pm

I think some new users get excited when they find this site and see so many nostalgic things, that they tend to post alot of new topics... without taking the time to check if the threads already exist elsewhere...    I personally did that the first couple days I was here, because I really didn't know what was where... I posted about a 70's song in the 80's board, etc.  People very nicely let me know what I was doing wrong, and I stopped doing that.

I think we should give new users a day or so to learn (many members are happy to give them constructive advice) and take into account that they may be just learning to use the site.  However, I believe the threads that are created just to be annoying, like the blatant rip-off of the "Feel Great, Good News" thread, which has apparently been removed, are actually registered, regular users signing on under a different name just to try to get a rise out of people...  I have thought about the concept of Inthe00s charging a small fee for membership...not for the purpose of having to take our money, but simply because most people under 16 and others who are just signing on to annoy people probably wouldn't want to give out their c/c # and give their name, etc...  it might weed out some of the junk...
I dunno, maybe 5.00 a year or something.. just a thought...

Written By: Howard on 03/28/05 at 4:01 pm

They overpost most likely they're excited to be in that paticular area and so they post a lot

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/28/05 at 7:11 pm

I hope I'm not guilty of overposting.....

Written By: Howard on 03/29/05 at 4:00 pm

I hope I'm not guilty of overposting.....

No.don't worry about it Tony.It's only for the new people here.

Written By: Marian on 03/30/05 at 3:14 pm

Judging by comments to me via PM I know I am not the only person who is really "over" the overposting by some of the newer and younger members.

20 posts within an hour asking inane questions like "what do you talk about in a conversation", "did the 80's finish in 95" etc etc etc.

Perhaps something like a flood control would be warranted ? Or a maximum amount of posts per day per member ?

Either that - or a new forum for inane subject matter for the under 16's !!!!!!!!!!
The last sentence makes sense.However,if you play a lot of games,limiting oosts is impractical.Cheers!

Written By: Howard on 03/30/05 at 3:47 pm

I think it's from the newbies when they see a messageboard they seem to post thread after thread and that's why most people get annoyed.

Written By: DJ Midas on 03/31/05 at 9:29 pm

If new members are posting at a rapid rate and are following forum guidelines, I don't think it should be an issue.  The moderators have the ability to remove threads/posts that don't adhere to those guidelines.  I'm not sure about the software for this board, but there are messageboards that do have a 'flood control' feature enabled (ie only one post every 60 seconds).

I have thought about the concept of Inthe00s charging a small fee for membership...not for the purpose of having to take our money, but simply because most people under 16 and others who are just signing on to annoy people probably wouldn't want to give out their c/c # and give their name, etc...  it might weed out some of the junk...

I think you'd either make Chucky a little money or lose a lot of members making Inthe00s a mandatory pay site, IMO.  ;)

Written By: PaperGirl on 03/31/05 at 9:35 pm

So whats the problem exactly?  A board full of activity?  Wah.  ;)

Written By: ADH13 on 04/01/05 at 1:53 am

So whats the problem exactly?  A board full of activity?  Wah.   ;)

Most of us don't mind alot of posts... this thread, I believe, was made because of a specific user who was, in most of our opinions, purposely being irritating... that user is gone now, so i think this is a dead issue now??

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/05 at 5:37 am

the only time this has been a problem, was about a week ago, when a new user began posting a few dozen new topics, that didn't belong in the forum they were in, and were really barely even posts (I like so and so, don't you?) over and over again.

When I used to post on Usenet, the various forums used to recommend people read the board for two weeks before making their first post.  I think that's a bit extreme, especially if you've posted in other well maintained forums for a long time. 

Charging for access or new accounts might work for some sites, but I doubt it would work here

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/05 at 1:28 pm

Charging for access or new accounts might work for some sites, but I doubt it would work here

to further expand on this particular thought....

I just signed up for the WELL the other day, there's a 20 year anniversary and they're running a $2 a month membership drive (usually $10 a month).  You can't really do anything on their site without signing up, except read a couple forums.  I've been hearing about the WELL since the late 80s, it was near mythic stature in the BBS community when I was in that scene.  I figured it was worth it to check out, you even get a WELL.COM email address, which some old timers consider a "Park Avenue" of the email addresses.

So yesterday I finially got in to look around.  Most of the conferences (forums) have maybe two or three updated topics per day.  Almost every forum here has anywhere from a dozen to two dozen updated topics per day by comparison.  Supposedly the content of these forums is supposed to be a cut above the average messageboard on the web.  Most of the topics are things you could find here or any other sizable messageboard.  The content of the messages isn't much diifferent either.  Less spam, since clearly a spammer would have to pay to get in, and wouldn't get very far.  The interface is clumsy and unattractive (maybe the telnet client is better?). 

In short, I think $2 is too much, let alone $10 or $15.  I have no idea why anyone uses this site, it's glory is past it.  A closed system stagnates and dies eventually, as older members retire from the community, there aren't any new comers who understand why they should want to join.  I had high expectations and they weren't close to being met.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/05 at 1:42 pm

the only time this has been a problem, was about a week ago, when a new user began posting a few dozen new topics, that didn't belong in the forum they were in, and were really barely even posts (I like so and so, don't you?) over and over again.

When I used to post on Usenet, the various forums used to recommend people read the board for two weeks before making their first post.  I think that's a bit extreme, especially if you've posted in other well maintained forums for a long time. 

Chucky,why do you think this would be a good idea? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/05 at 1:44 pm

Chucky,why do you think this would be a good idea? ???

I don't.  Not sure what makes you think I do.

Written By: Howard on 04/01/05 at 1:47 pm

I don't.  Not sure what makes you think I do.

You said it in your posts Chuck.
How about 50 cents? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/05 at 1:54 pm

You said it in your posts Chuck.
How about 50 cents? ???

What I said:
Charging for access or new accounts might work for some sites, but I doubt it would work here.

doubt means: I don't think so.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/05 at 2:38 am

I think some of them may have had a "contest" going to see who could get the most posts as well ::)
That is a case of guaranteed disaster.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/02/05 at 6:19 am

I wonder how many posts people like Mark and Howard had made in their first week  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/05 at 7:08 am

I wonder how many posts people like Mark and Howard had made in their first week  :o
It can be worked out!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/05 at 7:10 am

Howard did (I think) 33 posts on his first day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/05 at 7:11 am

Mark did (I think) 13 posts on his first day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/05 at 7:12 am

I did only two posts on my first day.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/02/05 at 7:13 am

Yes, now I remember... go to their profile ---> show last posts  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/05 at 7:23 am

Yes, now I remember... go to their profile ---> show last posts  :D
Correct!

Written By: Howard on 04/02/05 at 7:27 am

I am up to over 700 pages now.I am getting closer to Mark.One day,I'll be in his position.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/05 at 7:27 am

I am up to over 700 pages now.I am getting closer to Mark.One day,I'll be in his position.
One day?

Written By: Howard on 04/02/05 at 7:29 am

One day?

I have about over 10,000 and I think he has well over 30,000.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/05 at 7:31 am

I have about over 10,000 and I think he has well over 30,000.
When we have 30,000 posting, lord knows how many Mark will have?

Written By: Howard on 04/02/05 at 7:43 am

When we have 30,000 posting, lord knows how many Mark will have?

I thin he's in 1st place with the most posts.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/05 at 7:47 am

I thin he's in 1st place with the most posts.
I do not fancy chasing him, for the uppermost position.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/02/05 at 2:27 pm

I think some of them may have had a "contest" going to see who could get the most posts as well ::)

You got that right. There are many people here who care more about quanity than quality.

Cat

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/03/05 at 12:33 am

I think some new users get excited when they find this site and see so many nostalgic things, that they tend to post alot of new topics... without taking the time to check if the threads already exist elsewhere...    I personally did that the first couple days I was here, because I really didn't know what was where... I posted about a 70's song in the 80's board, etc.  People very nicely let me know what I was doing wrong, and I stopped doing that.

I think we should give new users a day or so to learn (many members are happy to give them constructive advice) and take into account that they may be just learning to use the site.  However, I believe the threads that are created just to be annoying, like the blatant rip-off of the "Feel Great, Good News" thread, which has apparently been removed, are actually registered, regular users signing on under a different name just to try to get a rise out of people...  I have thought about the concept of Inthe00s charging a small fee for membership...not for the purpose of having to take our money, but simply because most people under 16 and others who are just signing on to annoy people probably wouldn't want to give out their c/c # and give their name, etc...  it might weed out some of the junk...

Then you'd have to kiss me goodbye.

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/03/05 at 12:34 am

Most of us don't mind alot of posts... this thread, I believe, was made because of a specific user who was, in most of our opinions, purposely being irritating... that user is gone now, so i think this is a dead issue now??

Devo..I presume?

Written By: ADH13 on 04/03/05 at 12:40 am

Devo..I presume?

NO not Devo..

more like... Alyssa...

Written By: ADH13 on 04/03/05 at 12:41 am

Then you'd have to kiss me goodbye.

You'd make me kiss you?!!?  :o

Written By: ElDuderino on 04/03/05 at 1:35 am

You'd make me kiss you?!!? :o

Lol, I wasn't really being literal..

Written By: Apricot on 04/04/05 at 2:59 pm

As a teenager, I take offense to this. There are some members who do this, but it's not just the teens. One very, very well-known member is a notorious spam poster. I won't mention who, I think you know who you are. Really, it's hard to reach a high number without overposting somewhat. But new topics, that's different..

I get fed up with all the bull-sheesh polls too, but they seem to be ending. It was really just one-two members. Now we just have to get rid of all the "Ask" threads that rip mine off!  :D

Written By: gemini61 on 04/04/05 at 4:28 pm

As a teenager, I take offense to this. There are some members who do this, but it's not just the teens. One very, very well-known member is a notorious spam poster. I won't mention who, I think you know who you are. Really, it's hard to reach a high number without overposting somewhat. But new topics, that's different..

I get fed up with all the bull-sh** polls too, but they seem to be ending. It was really just one-two members. Now we just have to get rid of all the "Ask" threads that rip mine off!  :D

When I became a member here, about a year ago, it was because there were topics that I was interested in and good conversation with some really cool people. Now, I hardly post at all because all that's here now is "ask me this" and "ask me that" and alot of B.S. threads. I'm sure some of the long time members will agree. I'm not here to boost my post count, I've been here almost a year so you can tell by my low number. If you're only here to boost your post count, you can do that in the board games thread.  You don't have to make up a B.S. thread just to boost your post count.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/04/05 at 6:19 pm

When I became a member here, about a year ago, it was because there were topics that I was interested in and good conversation with some really cool people. Now, I hardly post at all because all that's here now is "ask me this" and "ask me that" and alot of B.S. threads. I'm sure some of the long time members will agree. I'm not here to boost my post count, I've been here almost a year so you can tell by my low number. If you're only here to boost your post count, you can do that in the board games thread.  You don't have to make up a B.S. thread just to boost your post count.

I really don't mind having a b.s. thread-as long as that is what it is. But I do agree with you that it seems that EVERY thread is becoming a b.s. thread. We all get off topic once in a while, that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about people who basically hijack a thread for nothing BUT b.s. Like you, I am getting tired of it. I would just like for people to keep the b.s. in the b.s. threads. That way, for those of us who can't take TOO much b.s. will know not to go in those threads.

Cat

Written By: gemini61 on 04/04/05 at 7:45 pm

I really don't mind having a b.s. thread-as long as that is what it is. But I do agree with you that it seems that EVERY thread is becoming a b.s. thread. We all get off topic once in a while, that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about people who basically hijack a thread for nothing BUT b.s. Like you, I am getting tired of it. I would just like for people to keep the b.s. in the b.s. threads. That way, for those of us who can't take TOO much b.s. will know not to go in those threads.

Cat

Absolutely 100% in agreement!  ;)  :) 

Written By: ADH13 on 04/04/05 at 7:50 pm

Cat

I agree, Cat... that's what I made the Potty Room for... cause I know me, Erin, Alex & Beth were starting to clog up the "theme" threads with useless chatter... and when I am reading a thread and find my own posts annoying, it's time for a Potty Room.  :)

Written By: ADH13 on 04/04/05 at 7:55 pm

Now, I hardly post at all because all that's here now is "ask me this" and "ask me that" and alot of B.S. threads.

I will remember to feel privileged when you post in my threads, Rhonda  ;)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/04/05 at 7:55 pm

Cat

Agreed. Although I do post in those b.s. threads (especially when what I want to say is irrelevant to any other thread or isn't important enough to start a new one.) It is quite staggering seeing people who have joined since January with post counts over 1000. Quality over quantity I guess.

Written By: ADH13 on 04/04/05 at 8:01 pm

Agreed. Although I do post in those b.s. threads (especially when what I want to say is irrelevant to any other thread or isn't important enough to start a new one.) It is quite staggering seeing people who have joined since January with post counts over 1000. Quality over quantity I guess.

er... I've been here since March and my post count is over 1000...  ;D

But, alot of it is from board games...

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/04/05 at 8:07 pm

I don't really count "Board Games" as overposting  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/05/05 at 1:10 pm

if people are getting off topic in threads, then you should report the posts to the moderator to review them.  While a single off topic post or two isn't bad, if there's pages of them, they should be removed.

the "ask so and so" types of threads should only be in the "playful penguin place (members only)" boards.  While there was an explosion in the number of those recently (I'm guilty of starting one) I think you'll find most of them will end after a couple of days.  Anytime something new comes along, there tends to be a large number of similar threads.  If there's still a bunch after a few weeks, maybe I could start a seperate board for them.

Threads in boards where they don't belong should also be reported.  A general discussion topic in the 90s board for example, should be reported so it's moved or removed.

Written By: Apricot on 04/05/05 at 9:00 pm

Actually, I just started the first "Ask" one because I was bored. People seemed to enjoy it. Then it got outta hand when Devo ripped it off, then IndyGent, now everyone. And it's like, whoa... didn't mean for it to get outta hand, I kinda wish that bandwagon woulda NEVER been jumped on.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/06/05 at 8:56 am

Actually, I just started the first "Ask" one because I was bored. People seemed to enjoy it. Then it got outta hand when Devo ripped it off, then IndyGent, now everyone. And it's like, whoa... didn't mean for it to get outta hand, I kinda wish that bandwagon woulda NEVER been jumped on.

great ideas always spawn imitations...

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/05 at 11:25 am

Admittedly, I jumped on the bandwagon, but was asking everyone not to ask me anything, and at this precise time no one is asking me anything.

Written By: Howard on 04/06/05 at 3:49 pm

Why did overposting become such a habit all of a sudden? ???

Written By: Howard on 04/06/05 at 3:50 pm

er... I've been here since March and my post count is over 1000...  ;D

But, alot of it is from board games...

I've been here for 3 1/2 years now and I rarely overpost.

Written By: gemini61 on 04/06/05 at 7:05 pm

Admittedly, I jumped on the bandwagon, but was asking everyone not to ask me anything, and at this precise time no one is asking me anything.

Philip, you crack me up!  ;D 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/07/05 at 12:33 pm

Yeah, and you STOLE my idea, too.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/07/05 at 1:27 pm

So,what's with all those Ask threads? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/05 at 1:45 pm

Yeah, and you STOLE my idea, too. ;)

Cat
We discussed and I was welcomed to go ahead.

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/07/05 at 2:13 pm

Hmmm..

Just a thought here.

Why not just ignore it.

Like i am never seen on the 60's, 70's etc Boards.. I don't have a big interest in that time period and know next to nothing about it, thus i pretty much ignore it.

Addmitedly, it's exceptionally annoying when the same pointless topics are bought up again and again, 'In what year did the 80's end?' 'What year do you think the 90's started?' 'Do you think the 90's started before they began?'

However.. it isn't that difficult to just i-g-n-o-r-e them.

Written By: nally on 04/07/05 at 2:55 pm

Howard did (I think) 33 posts on his first day.

Mark did (I think) 13 posts on his first day.

I did only two posts on my first day.

I made 81 on my first day.

Written By: A. Guest on 04/08/05 at 11:55 am

Addmitedly, it's exceptionally annoying when the same pointless topics are bought up again and again, 'In what year did the 80's end?' 'What year do you think the 90's started?' 'Do you think the 90's started before they began?'

However.. it isn't that difficult to just i-g-n-o-r-e them.

Yeah, those threads are meaningless. Why would anyone think the 19_0's ended after the year 19_9; that makes no sense. ::) (By the way, the underscore can be filled in with any digit.)

Written By: Howard on 04/08/05 at 1:45 pm

Some people overpost with meaningless stuff and the people here are trying to understand what they're writing about.

Written By: DJ Midas on 04/09/05 at 1:10 pm

Some people overpost with meaningless stuff and the people here are trying to understand what they're writing about.

Exactly.

Written By: Howard on 04/09/05 at 1:55 pm

It could be Devorule's fault.I saw the other day about a gazillon threads about what he was writing about. ::)

Written By: Apricot on 04/09/05 at 9:01 pm

It could be Devorule's fault.I saw the other day about a gazillon threads about what he was writing about. ::)

Maybe it's because he's in trouble about something, but he's posting a lot less. Or maybe he took the hint. Or ran out of ideas. Any way, it's over now. We'll just let the polls die...

On my first day, I posted once.

Then, for over 5 weeks, I posted nothing. Then, all the original posts were deleted with the boards.

And look at me now.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/09/05 at 9:05 pm

While we're at it:

Looking back, I posted first, 1 week after joining (1 very short post), then 2 weeks after that, I started actually posting.

Not a rant, just a post... for the sake of posting

Written By: Howard on 04/10/05 at 6:46 am

I think I remember posting more after my first week here 3 1/2 years ago.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/01/05 at 12:12 am

I say we make this here mandatory reading for all newbies:

http://forum.pulsar.org.au//Posting.swf

;D (yes its old, but its good)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/01/05 at 6:13 am

I just now happened across this topic, and even though most of it is about a month old, I still think it's relevant to respond to.

As someone who's posted on various fan sites and message boards in the past 7 years, I think it's safe to say I'm pretty good at "behaving" myself (though if I make a mistake, I'll always apologize for it). I always use the "Search" feature, so likely I'll bump alot of topics and only start ones that haven't been done before, or where that exact thing hasn't been discussed.

I've also helped moderate a few before, so I understand that end of it. If someone is being ridiculous, or cussing or otherwise causing trouble, then I fully support deleting/closing those threads (I've done this myself when needed).

As far as the number of posts I have here: I've found that, even though I'm pretty "talky", I still am only in the 300's and I've been here near 2 months (some people are over 10,000!!). I usually like to have semi "detailed" discussions and responses, so sometimes I don't bother replying to everything, since it'll be off the first page in a day or two anyway, but it doesn't mean the thread doesn't interest me.

I try not to do "Yeah" "me too" replies, unless that's all that's necesarry. Some of the threads in the Playful Penguin Place grow so fast they're kinda like IM'ing - I can't always keep up with those - I'd rather do real IM'ing. ;)

Yeah, those threads are meaningless. Why would anyone think the 19_0's ended after the year 19_9; that makes no sense. ::) (By the way, the underscore can be filled in with any digit.)

When we talk about that, it's not the decade per se, it's the "feel" of the decade. For instance, 1962 was still very 50's-like. Yes, time-wise, it's the 60's, but culturally it was still similar to the 50's (before the British Invasion and JFK's assassination and Hippies).

Make sense now?

Seriously though, I see nothing wrong with these threads (there's something for everybody - that's the whole point of a discussion board). I'm a fan of pop culture and its eras, so I don't think we're breaking any rules by talking about that - in fact, I'll often find myself learning new things, both by sharing my thoughts and reading others'. I think Devo is several years younger than me, but he's enlightnened me to things I may have never thought myself before, for instance.

As I've said elsewhere: If a (rule-abiding) thread doesn't interest you, just avoid it, but do not belittle people who choose to participate in it.

For instance, on my BTTF boards, I'll often go into detail about time travel, or "What if Doc & Marty took Jennifer with them when they left Alternate 1985?" etc and occasionally someone may come into the thread, essentially interrupting us saying something like "It's just a movie, don't nitpick it". Personally I think that's rude.

Just my $0.02. :) (I think you'll find I'm a pretty agreeable, nice guy - both online and in real life - so, no offense meant here.)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/01/05 at 6:29 am

"did the 80's finish in 95".

No, they ended in 1991/early '92.

Sorry, couldn't resist! ;) You can shoot me now, LOL!

Written By: ... on 05/02/05 at 2:09 pm

When we talk about that, it's not the decade per se, it's the "feel" of the decade. For instance, 1962 was still very 50's-like. Yes, time-wise, it's the 60's, but culturally it was still similar to the 50's (before the British Invasion and JFK's assassination and Hippies).

Make sense now?

Maybe so, but you guys're still treating the decade names like they're symbolic terms. By the way, were you alive in 1962? I certainly wasn't.

Yes, in the early part of a decade, the pop culture from the previous decade tends to hang around, but nothing changes overnight, for cryin' out loud. Furthermore, songs from a certain period may sound like songs from one, even two or more decades earlier. For example, the Stray Cats' music, which was made in the early 80s, sounds kinda 50s-like. And the song "That Thing You Do" by the Wonders, which was from 1996, sounds very much like a 60s song, because it was performed in a movie that took place in the 60s.

No, they ended in 1991/early '92.

Sorry, couldn't resist! ;) You can shoot me now, LOL!

As a child of the 80s (I was born in 1980--as a matter of fact, on this date in that year--happy birthday to me! ;D) I was happy about looking forward to 1990, the factual beginning of the 90s. I have seen more threads of this nature on the decade boards, but I do not feel like posting on them. I feel they're a waste of time.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/02/05 at 5:15 pm

Happy birthday to ...

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/03/05 at 10:30 am

OVERPOSTING

I'd like to know why people post the same identical post in 4-8 different categories, so on hitting the 'Latest Messages' button you get a deluge of all the same freakin posts from the same bored person..how very mundane.   ::)

Written By: nally on 05/03/05 at 11:01 am

OVERPOSTING

I'd like to know why people post the same identical post in 4-8 different categories, so on hitting the 'Latest Messages' button you get a deluge of all the same freakin posts from the same bored person..how very mundane. ::)

I've noticed that too...especially on the "What song are you listening to right now?" threads. We have one thread in each of the respective decade forums; I believe that's enough, but there's a second one in the 2000's forum, and another one in the PBG forum (neither of which I ever respond to). I've noticed that a person will post a certain song in one of the decade threads, then also in the 2000's thread and the PBG thread. ::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/03/05 at 11:39 am

OVERPOSTING

I'd like to know why people post the same identical post in 4-8 different categories, so on hitting the 'Latest Messages' button you get a deluge of all the same freakin posts from the same bored person..how very mundane.  ::)

don't the posts come in so quickly, that the "latest" button is kind of useless?

I think there should be only one "what song are you listening to" anyways, and it should be in the playful penguin place. 

Maybe the bigger problem is that there are threads in decade forums, that shouldn't be there?  Stricter enforcement of people staying on topic maybe?  Ideally, there shouldn't be a topic that belongs in more than one board, so there's no excuse for cross-posting (the term this goes by).  It sounds like a lame attempt to inflate post counts really.

Written By: nally on 05/03/05 at 2:22 pm

don't the posts come in so quickly, that the "latest" button is kind of useless?

I think there should be only one "what song are you listening to" anyways, and it should be in the playful penguin place. 

On a similar note, the "What music video are you watching" thread should probably be there too.

Written By: Apricot on 05/03/05 at 7:50 pm

OVERPOSTING

I'd like to know why people post the same identical post in 4-8 different categories, so on hitting the 'Latest Messages' button you get a deluge of all the same freakin posts from the same bored person..how very mundane.   ::)

I tend to do this... I just do that because I'm bored and there are multiple topics that I can actually respond to. Some, I just don't know anything about, have no interest in, etc. So I take what I can get and just own the board when no one's around.

Written By: Alchoholica on 05/04/05 at 5:17 am

Hehehehe, yeah i think Board Games needs to be renamed 'Bored Games'.

I tend to post in there when i don't have too much to do as well..

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/04/05 at 6:27 am

Maybe the bigger problem is that there are threads in decade forums, that shouldn't be there?  Stricter enforcement of people staying on topic maybe?  Ideally, there shouldn't be a topic that belongs in more than one board, so there's no excuse for cross-posting (the term this goes by).  It sounds like a lame attempt to inflate post counts really.
I'm guilty of multi-posting in the "What song are you..." threads. I usually just post in 1, but if I'm posting in all of them, it's either to: a) bring up post counts; b) I'm listening to this really awesome song that I reckon needs to be posted 4-5 times so that others can see it; c) I'm not listening to a song, but thought of this really awesome song that I reckon needs to be posted 4-5 times so that others can see it; d) I'm bored.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/04/05 at 7:55 am

I tend to do this... I just do that because I'm bored and there are multiple topics that I can actually respond to. Some, I just don't know anything about, have no interest in, etc. So I take what I can get and just own the board when no one's around.

I like your honesty Apricot  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/04/05 at 10:32 am

Hehehehe, yeah i think Board Games needs to be renamed 'Bored Games'.

I tend to post in there when i don't have too much to do as well..

I'm guilty of multi-posting in the "What song are you..." threads. I usually just post in 1, but if I'm posting in all of them, it's either to: a) bring up post counts; b) I'm listening to this really awesome song that I reckon needs to be posted 4-5 times so that others can see it; c) I'm not listening to a song, but thought of this really awesome song that I reckon needs to be posted 4-5 times so that others can see it; d) I'm bored.
I do the same thing...just more often. I find it no different than the duplicate threads in Games called "Words" that Mandamoo began long ago and was still easily viewable on page 1 when someone came in and started another Words thread...but as for the 70's "A to Z" people including myself, got tired of posting  the letter Q, U, X, Y, Z...so some people, including myself, created 70's A"to Z" with those letter "Optional"....therefore NOT a true duplicate thread. Meanwhile, the "What are you listening to" has the appropriate location in each decade. Maybe overposting in those threads would lead some to belive I'm bored, but when I used to complain/whine about the TRUE duplicate thread of "Words" I soon realized that was worse ::) Lastly, If I happen to be "Watching" a music Video I post it, if it's from the 70's, I'm hearing it...if it's a 2 word song title by a 3 words in the band name...then, I post that as well ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/04/05 at 10:42 am

I like your honesty Apricot :)
I can give you some more honesty...my son Blaine was murdered in April 4 years ago so April is really hard for me...I love music as it helps me feel better...so I post what I listen to especially during April. I also theme "Artist A Day In May" so as it goes, I feature songs from that artist throughout the day.  :-\\

Written By: karen on 05/04/05 at 11:29 am

Although I am on occasion guilty of going off-topic I think perhaps it happens in far too many of them at the moment.

It also annoys ME when peole don't bother to reply to a PM :-\\ BUT just as that is the persons perogative, posting is mine ;)

yes, that annoys me as well

Written By: Apricot on 05/04/05 at 2:05 pm

I can give you some more honesty...my son Blaine was murdered in April 4 years ago so April is really hard for me...I love music as it helps me feel better...so I post what I listen to especially during April. I also theme "Artist A Day In May" so as it goes, I feature songs from that artist throughout the day.  :-\\

"Artist A Day In May", eh? That's actually pretty clever! I don't have enough artists to really make it through the month, but I could do that for a week or two, myself.

Music helps me a lot... or makes me worse, roll of the dice, really.

And, to Mr. Tumnus: Thanks. I try to keep it real.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/04/05 at 4:41 pm

"Artist A Day In May", eh? That's actually pretty clever! I don't have enough artists to really make it through the month, but I could do that for a week or two, myself.

Music helps me a lot... or makes me worse, roll of the dice, really.

Thanks, been doing it since my first May here...'02 :) Music really helps me when I'm sad :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/04/05 at 5:01 pm

Maybe the bigger problem is that there are threads in decade forums, that shouldn't be there? Stricter enforcement of people staying on topic maybe? Ideally, there shouldn't be a topic that belongs in more than one board, so there's no excuse for cross-posting (the term this goes by). It sounds like a lame attempt to inflate post counts really.

Hey Chucky, sorry I didn't get around to responding earlier, but I agree with this. :)

Maybe the "What song are you listening to" should be a sticky thread in the Playful Penguin place? Especially since it grows really fast, that way people won't "lose track" of it as much.

As for staying on topic, there's alot of boards I go to where it's actually in the rules to do that (to where mods sometimes close topics that stray from the original discussion). Because this board is so huge, I'm sure it's kinda impossible for you to keep on top of everything at once, so maybe there could be 4-5 sticky topics, with the board rules as one of them - maybe that'll clear it up for some people? (I bet some people don't know you can't/shouldn't go off topic - unless they make a "go off topic/random" thread of their own of course!)

Written By: Apricot on 05/04/05 at 7:37 pm

That's a good idea... I'm an Admin on a forum of my own, and we have 3-4 Stickies. The top one is the rules for the board {specific ones for Politics}, under that... well, it depends on the board. On one, we have something not unlike the "Feel Any Way" board stuck... on another, a mirror of "What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?" {but on that section, posts don't count; it's a whole "Postwhore" section}.... I think a few of the most frequent becoming stickies is a great idea.

Written By: Carrie on 05/04/05 at 10:02 pm

I've noticed that too...especially on the "What song are you listening to right now?" threads. We have one thread in each of the respective decade forums; I believe that's enough, but there's a second one in the 2000's forum, and another one in the PBG forum (neither of which I ever respond to). I've noticed that a person will post a certain song in one of the decade threads, then also in the 2000's thread and the PBG thread. ::)

And if someone is listening to an album, they will list song by song what they are listening to, instead of saying I am listening to so and so's cd titled _____. Or there is a particular person that listens to one minute songs becasue they are posting a song every minuet or so.... People are strange... :o

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/04/05 at 10:40 pm

People are strange... :o
...when you're a stranger ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/04/05 at 10:50 pm

There's a duplicate "Words" thread that many who are whining about the "What Song Are You Listening To"  reply to with no problem...and seriously, How many times can you list an A to Z artist as anything other than "Q"ueen or "Z" Z Top....I've also seen posts in games that are the same as TWO posts before :D I listen to songs during April to keep my mind happy in a horrible month and I happen to share them....a minute in legnth? No, sometimes I fast forward the tape  :o  And it's what SONG are you listening to..not what LP...but we could always start a "What LP are you listening to" thread. I have spent today JUST posting....a song that was released in the 70's by posting it in the 70's and the 2000's...but not in games.....unless I decide to post it as a 2-3 4, etc. word song title. There are a LOT more "Duplicate threads than just the "What song are you listening to" ones so if we're gonna whine let's have some "Equality" Oh...BTW, as for my not whining about others blatant posts that are the SAME as just a couple before in many other area's in games.... I've already climbed down off of MY cross....used the wood to build a bridge, and gotten OVER it....sorry to be so blunt but I've had a rough time the last few weeks. I'll realy TRY and stop posting so much of what I'm listening to in the corrosponding thread.....If anyone thinks I'm a post-ho...i will happily delete my account and rejoin with a big fat ZERO. ;)

Written By: Tam on 05/05/05 at 12:23 am

Overposting??!!
C'mon! Playing in board games it is next to impossible to not copy a post from a page or two before. Song you are listening to? I know I post with certain people in one area and others in different ones. Personally, overposting IMO is what was stated in the very first post of this thread....

It is the starting of threads that make little or no sense - not the INANE 'he posted that there' or 'she posted that 1 minute ago'...

For some people, these boards are a release - not a place they want to come to if they are going to be ridiculed for their so-called Overposting! I say let them reply to what they want, where they want! I dont remember reading the EULA and seeing "... you cannot post the same in thing in ANY OTHER THREAD..."

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/05/05 at 12:27 am

Overposting??!!
C'mon! Playing in board games it is next to impossible to not copy a post from a page or two before. Song you are listening to? I know I post with certain people in one area and others in different ones. Personally, overposting IMO is what was stated in the very first post of this thread....

It is the starting of threads that make little or no sense - not the INANE 'he posted that there' or 'she posted that 1 minute ago'...

For some people, these boards are a release - not a place they want to come to if they are going to be ridiculed for their so-called Overposting! I say let them reply to what they want, where they want! I dont remember reading the EULA and seeing "... you cannot post the same in thing in ANY OTHER THREAD..."
Marry Me? :-* ;)

Written By: Tam on 05/05/05 at 12:28 am

You so CRAZY!!!!!  :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/05/05 at 12:32 am

You so CRAZY!!!!!  :D
I sure AM...I DARE to post multi-word terms in the "Words" thread AND I multi-post the songs I listen to :D ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/05 at 1:42 am

You cannot overpost if you are replying...

Written By: whitewolf on 05/05/05 at 9:53 am

I agree with most of the responses on here. Overposting is not about the amount of post people make, it's about people making too many annoying threads.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/05/05 at 10:42 am

I agree with most of the responses on here. Overposting is not about the amount of post people make, it's about people making too many annoying threads.

Which I think ROBOCOP is starting to do..

Written By: whitewolf on 05/05/05 at 3:33 pm

and all the threads about Micheal Jackson being guilty or not. One was enough, now I think there is 5.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/05/05 at 4:26 pm

I used to go to the BBC Top of the Pops boards and we used to discuss individual bands and records, what I find really weird is here people just post list after list of song titles and band names,

I find it kind of a shame no one asks each other about stuff. 

..anyways,  I only check out posts of people I can relate to on here.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/05/05 at 8:08 pm

I used to go to the BBC Top of the Pops boards and we used to discuss individual bands and records, what I find really weird is here people just post list after list of song titles and band names,

I find it kind of a shame no one asks each other about stuff.

I agree - I'm always one of those that likes to discuss stuff. Not that I don't like the fun threads (heck, every board I go to, I try and do that as much as possible), but even if I participate in a "What song" list, I try to expand on it a little (i.e. "Really fun upbeat song from 1987") so it's not just a title.

That whole idea is the only reason I love the "Decade/pop culture" threads like I do. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/05/05 at 9:57 pm

I really don't see what the big deal is....i mean....if people don't wish to read and re-read these "overposts"...then go to a different thread...it's very simple....there are a TON of other threads to go to that are less repetitous.  I totally agree with Tam and Mark......I see nothing wrong with posting the songs that you listen to...I rather enjoy reading what other people are interested in....I mean, that is what I get out of almost all of the posts....some of the more repetitive ones help me to better understand a person, or get to know them better...I mean, it's not that I really need to know "what was the last thing a person ate"...but rather..."hey, wow...there's someone else out there that loves to eat maybe portabella mushrooms as much as I"..etc...you catch my drift?
The point I am trying to make is this...unless someone is totally being an A S S, disrespecting other forum members, or breaking some major rules....then let them be....if you don't like what they are posting about...it's very simple....don't read it.

I love ya guys! Keep those posts coming....I thoroughly enjoy all of them!!

Erin :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/05/05 at 10:35 pm

I really don't see what the big deal is....i mean....if people don't wish to read and re-read these "overposts"...then go to a different thread...it's very simple....there are a TON of other threads to go to that are less repetitous.  I totally agree with Tam and Mark......I see nothing wrong with posting the songs that you listen to...I rather enjoy reading what other people are interested in....I mean, that is what I get out of almost all of the posts....some of the more repetitive ones help me to better understand a person, or get to know them better...I mean, it's not that I really need to know "what was the last thing a person ate"...but rather..."hey, wow...there's someone else out there that loves to eat maybe portabella mushrooms as much as I"..etc...you catch my drift?
The point I am trying to make is this...unless someone is totally being an A S S, disrespecting other forum members, or breaking some major rules....then let them be....if you don't like what they are posting about...it's very simple....don't read it.

I love ya guys! Keep those posts coming....I thoroughly enjoy all of them!!

Erin :)
Thanks for the "Positive" thoughts, Erin :-*

Written By: Marian on 05/06/05 at 3:05 pm

I notoced that.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/06/05 at 4:48 pm

Thanks for the "Positive" thoughts, Erin :-*

Same here. :)

This is a pretty friendly board, so let's all just get along. :D

Written By: Apricot on 05/06/05 at 8:43 pm

My only issue?

When I was new, people were arrogant and treated me like less because I was new. And I couldn't do anything, because they had more posts. Even people with 100-200 could openly disrespect me. At first, I wasn't rude or mean, just neglected smileys that would ensure people understood my humor from my seriousness. But people could disrespect newbies and get away with it because they have more posts? That's not right. Even if everyone isn't guilty of it, this could happen.

Guy who joined long ago, made good friends, but only has 65 posts: This is a great site.
Guy who joined three days ago, but posted like crazy: That site sucks, just like you. You suck. Go away.
Guy 1: Hey, that's not cool! I didn't do anything.
Guy 2: Yeah? Well, I have 7500 more posts then you, so STFU N00B!

I've seen it happen. Maybe not that way, but it happens. Even here. So that isn't cool... someone can postwhore that much, get a lot of posts, and gain that right to pick on newbies.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/07/05 at 7:36 am

My only issue?

When I was new, people were arrogant and treated me like less because I was new. And I couldn't do anything, because they had more posts. Even people with 100-200 could openly disrespect me. At first, I wasn't rude or mean, just neglected smileys that would ensure people understood my humor from my seriousness. But people could disrespect newbies and get away with it because they have more posts? That's not right. Even if everyone isn't guilty of it, this could happen.

Guy who joined long ago, made good friends, but only has 65 posts: This is a great site.
Guy who joined three days ago, but posted like crazy: That site sucks, just like you. You suck. Go away.
Guy 1: Hey, that's not cool! I didn't do anything.
Guy 2: Yeah? Well, I have 7500 more posts then you, so STFU N00B!

I've seen it happen. Maybe not that way, but it happens. Even here. So that isn't cool... someone can postwhore that much, get a lot of posts, and gain that right to pick on newbies.

Anyone posting crap like that, even if they have 2 million posts, is in the wrong, and if I see it, they're gonna get their post deleted and a nasty gram.  Post counts are used for rankings only, not some sort of experience meter.

Written By: Apricot on 05/07/05 at 10:48 pm

Anyone posting crap like that, even if they have 2 million posts, is in the wrong, and if I see it, they're gonna get their post deleted and a nasty gram.  Post counts are used for rankings only, not some sort of experience meter.

That's how I think it ought to be. But the catch is, and I'll admit, even I'm guilty of it, people go on power trips when they reach high post counts. I didn't go on some giant flaming ego-trip when I hit any big numbers, but I felt safe. I knew that there were times I had to hold my tongue because someone had more posts in the past, and now I thought "Heehee, I'm more secure."

The rankings DO create somewhat of a power feel, but I try to avoid it. But I know it exists, and that's not cool.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/08/05 at 8:51 am

That's how I think it ought to be. But the catch is, and I'll admit, even I'm guilty of it, people go on power trips when they reach high post counts. I didn't go on some giant flaming ego-trip when I hit any big numbers, but I felt safe. I knew that there were times I had to hold my tongue because someone had more posts in the past, and now I thought "Heehee, I'm more secure."

The rankings DO create somewhat of a power feel, but I try to avoid it. But I know it exists, and that's not cool.
I've never tried to offend anybody. I enjoy everyone here and hope they like me as well. No power trip here....just a guy who loves to post ;) If I have offended anyone, it certainly wasn't intentional.

Written By: Apricot on 05/08/05 at 2:35 pm

I've never tried to offend anybody. I enjoy everyone here and hope they like me as well. No power trip here....just a guy who loves to post ;) If I have offended anyone, it certainly wasn't intentional.

Oh, no, not you at all. I'm not saying everyone is like that, and you aren't just because you have more posts then anyone.

Just that some people do that. And if you did, we'd have a problem. But you're cool in my book.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/08/05 at 6:21 pm

Oh, no, not you at all. I'm not saying everyone is like that, and you aren't just because you have more posts then anyone.

Just that some people do that. And if you did, we'd have a problem. But you're cool in my book.
I like your book ;D ;)

Written By: Apricot on 05/08/05 at 7:31 pm

I like your book ;D ;)

Ya know what? So do I. It's 98.8% Jerk Free!

Written By: nally on 05/08/05 at 7:35 pm

I enjoy everyone here and hope they like me as well. No power trip here....just a guy who loves to post ;)

I enjoy everyone here too. I'm also a guy who enjoys posting ;)

Written By: Apricot on 05/08/05 at 7:40 pm

No ones being attacked, you guys are okay in my book.

It really isn't the big posters, who are nice. It's the people with 250-500 picking on people with 10-25.

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/13/05 at 7:15 pm

I seriously hope that people aren't taking their post rankings to their heads, after all it's not the real world.
That's just sad, people getting power trips really.

Written By: Apricot on 05/13/05 at 9:36 pm

I seriously hope that people aren't taking their post rankings to their heads, after all it's not the real world.
That's just sad, people getting power trips really.

Funny enough, it's not the big posters. People like RockandRollFan, nally, ktelqueen... they're great. It's jerk with 200-something posts abusing total newbies.

Written By: YWN on 09/20/05 at 8:40 pm

Ya know what? So do I. It's 98.8% Jerk Free!

But the other 1.2%...?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/20/05 at 10:05 pm

Thanks, I really do appreciate you being kind to me. Beth on the other hand has called me a "Whore" today, though I have started fresh. I guess I need to learn about "Sticks & Stones"....even at my age ::) Anyway, I just thought it'd be kinda cool to start over and give some others a chance to "lead" the board in posts...and also to just put all my crap behind me. I made one HUGE mistake by announcing I was contemplating deleting and starting over and then...GOD forbid, I waited a few days and some people who never have liked me at all, took some MORE public shots at me. Oh well, to each thier own ;)

Written By: ADH13 on 09/20/05 at 11:42 pm

I think the only time I have ever felt that post count mattered... but a few weeks ago I made a topic in the 2000's.  And several "big posters" were posting in it, and then out of nowhere a member with about 100 posts comes into the thread saying the topic is meaningless and that the person who made the topic (which happened to be me) should be banned.

At that point, I was like.. HELLO you have 100 posts who are YOU to decide what is meaningless when there are several members with 4000+ posts who are enjoying this thread.
(although I admit it was a meaningless thread)

Written By: YWN on 09/24/05 at 11:03 am

« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 11:45:56 PM by Odyssey »

Hmmmm...  ::)

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 09/25/05 at 6:51 pm

You could use your IGNORE buttons.  ;)

Written By: Apricot on 09/29/05 at 3:46 pm

You could use your IGNORE buttons.  ;)

There is one?

Or is this metaphorical?

Thanks, I really do appreciate you being kind to me. Beth on the other hand has called me a "Whore" today, though I have started fresh. I guess I need to learn about "Sticks & Stones"....even at my age  Anyway, I just thought it'd be kinda cool to start over and give some others a chance to "lead" the board in posts...and also to just put all my crap behind me. I made one HUGE mistake by announcing I was contemplating deleting and starting over and then...GOD forbid, I waited a few days and some people who never have liked me at all, took some MORE public shots at me. Oh well, to each thier own

Well, if you were "putting your crap behind you", people probably thought that meant you were leaving this board alltogether. Sometimes, when people think you're gone, they say things to relieve stress. It's not as much hate for you as it is annoyance at something you may have done, and they vent that frustration by posting about it. You can't expect everyone to like you, and just don't let the people who don't like you get to you. Works for me.  ;)

Written By: YWN on 09/29/05 at 3:49 pm

Mark, I am fairly sure Beth was joking when she called you a "whore".  ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/29/05 at 3:57 pm

Mark, I am fairly sure Beth was joking when she called you a "whore".   ;)

she was... and she said "attention whore"

you forgot the attention, Mark!

Written By: YWN on 09/29/05 at 4:05 pm

she was... and she said "attention whore"

you forgot the attention, Mark!

Mark's a whore...  I saw him shaking his ass the other day!  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/05 at 6:30 pm

It seems like we have a rash of thread hijackers again. It seems that many threads in the PPP have pages and pages of B.S. which have absolutely nothing to do with the topic.

Cat

Written By: Apricot on 09/29/05 at 8:21 pm

It seems like we have a rash of thread hijackers again. It seems that many threads in the PPP have pages and pages of B.S. which have absolutely nothing to do with the topic.

I blame Emotion Eric.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/29/05 at 8:35 pm

Mark, I am fairly sure Beth was joking when she called you a "whore".   ;)

Yeah, I called Marsh a whore the other day! Taint that right, Marsh...

Honestly, I meant it all in good humor. I went too far and I'm truly sorry.

Beth

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/05 at 9:20 pm

Well, if you were "putting your crap behind you", people probably thought that meant you were leaving this board alltogether. Sometimes, when people think you're gone, they say things to relieve stress. It's not as much hate for you as it is annoyance at something you may have done, and they vent that frustration by posting about it. You can't expect everyone to like you, and just don't let the people who don't like you get to you. Works for me.  ;)
Thanks, I'll keep trying ;)

Mark, I am fairly sure Beth was joking when she called you a "whore". ;)
You're probably right :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/29/05 at 10:44 pm

Cat

I think it's just inside convo's and comments that build up and suddenly just start rolling. It happens when people are kinda friendly on the board.

I admit, I've done this a couple times too. A long time back (for me, lol) there was some thread where I got into a conversation about time travel and the physics of the BTTF universe. I always try to be careful about overdoing it, though.

On the other hand, I know what you mean. I'll agree if it's a "serious" or "informational" thread, then it's a bit uncalled for, but if it's more of a casual thread, I think it's generally okay.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/30/05 at 1:05 am

Cat

Sometimes the funniest things come of those tangent threads, so I don't mind them all too much..

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/05 at 1:55 am

Sometimes the funniest things come of those tangent threads, so I don't mind them all too much..
Of which reminds me!

Written By: Apricot on 09/30/05 at 5:12 am

Sometimes, though, funny tangents also form on serious threads.. as long as they don't 100% dominate the thread, it's all good. If I get involved in a tangent, I also involve myself in the discussion... if I can.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/30/05 at 7:25 am

Overposting:

Making 25 posts in Penguin Board Games in the space of 20 minutes.  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/30/05 at 11:28 am

I think it's just inside convo's and comments that build up and suddenly just start rolling. It happens when people are kinda friendly on the board.

I admit, I've done this a couple times too. A long time back (for me, lol) there was some thread where I got into a conversation about time travel and the physics of the BTTF universe. I always try to be careful about overdoing it, though.

On the other hand, I know what you mean. I'll agree if it's a "serious" or "informational" thread, then it's a bit uncalled for, but if it's more of a casual thread, I think it's generally okay.

I understand about going off-topic. I have done that once or twice myself. What I am talking about is when there are pages and pages of nothing but B.S.-not even much of a conversation.

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/30/05 at 12:34 pm

I understand about going off-topic. I have done that once or twice myself. What I am talking about is when there are pages and pages of nothing but B.S.-not even much of a conversation.

Cat

Yeah, that can be a bit much... especially when it becomes a two way conversation which keeps nearly everyone out from joining in. At that point, go to private messages... and let the rest commence

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/30/05 at 1:35 pm

Overposting:

Making 25 posts in Penguin Board Games in the space of 20 minutes.  :o

Is that over posting, or someone having fun in the games room? Is the person playing the game or having mindless chit chat? I can see being mad at mindless chit chat. But if a person sees threads and replies to them , how is that overposting?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/30/05 at 2:54 pm

You mean like longest thread ever and bump me, etc....

Not those because they are basically "no topic" threads. I am talking about threads like "What does your voice sound like" when people are posting pages of B.S. which has nothing to do with what people's voices sound like.

Cat

Written By: thenewwavechick on 09/30/05 at 4:26 pm

I try to control myself when posting on a new board, but sometimes I see threads that interest me and I post in them a lot.  I don't just post to get up in the post count though, I dislike people who do that.  They think it's a contest to see if they're the best when all they post is mainly drivel and unconstructive posts. 

Written By: Apricot on 10/01/05 at 3:48 pm

Not those because they are basically "no topic" threads. I am talking about threads like "What does your voice sound like" when people are posting pages of B.S. which has nothing to do with what people's voices sound like.

Are you referring to something along these lines:

1. You know, I really liked the movie "Jaws 2".
2. You know what, me too.
1. That's because... I'M YOU!!! :o
2. No, _____, I'M YOU!
3. Actually, I'm Both of You.
1. http://emotioneric.com/horror.jpg
2. http://emotioneric.com/mornaftr.jpg
4. Haha.. anyway, "Jaws 3" was much better.
2. PENIS!

Written By: Apricot on 10/01/05 at 3:48 pm

Cause I see a lot of those.

Written By: nally on 10/01/05 at 4:00 pm

Cat

That annoys the heck out of me, too. There's no need for those off-topic comments on the "What does your voice sound like" thread. I wish Chucky would take 'em down.

You mean like longest thread ever and bump me, etc....

Those two threads I do not have any interest in whatsoever because (1) "Longest thread ever" to me is not a meaningful title, and it's not about any specific topic whatsoever, and (2) "Bump me", seems to have no purpose whatsoever IMHO.

Written By: YWN on 10/01/05 at 4:56 pm

Andrew, that post totally went over my head.

And Jeff, I'll go back to that voice thread and look for posts I can delete.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/01/05 at 6:38 pm

I agree that it CAN get annoying, and it's something I'm guilty of. I also think it's next to impossible to actually stay on topic. Tangents keep the thread going, without getting boring and repetitive.

Beth

Written By: YWN on 10/01/05 at 7:34 pm

I find the Bump Me thread and the Longest Thread Ever serve pretty much the same purpose.

Nah, in "Bump Me", you pretty much just say "bump" and in "Longest Thread Ever" you can talk about pretty much anything.

Written By: whistledog on 10/01/05 at 7:35 pm

Nah, in "Bump Me", you pretty much just say "bump" and in "Longest Thread Ever" you can talk about pretty much anything.

Yes, but the more times you bump that thread, the better chance it has at becoming the longest thread ever  :D  ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/01/05 at 7:38 pm

I've never been one to involve myself in thread tangents (maybe the odd one or two) and I too agree that it is getting out of hand. There are threads (Longest Thread Ever, The Go Anywhere, I Gotta Pee... etc) for off-topic discussion, and if people want to discuss things that don't have anything to do with a certain thread in one of them. Of course it is very easy to go off into tangents, and can be a while before you suddenly realise that the thread has gone way off topic.  ::)

The major ones I'm thinking of recently that have been 'hijacked' are the Member Photos and Voice threads. There are probably 2 unrelated replies to 1 related thread. Kinda sad really.  :-\\

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/01/05 at 7:44 pm

Is that over posting, or someone having fun in the games room? Is the person playing the game or having mindless chit chat? I can see being mad at mindless chit chat. But if a person sees threads and replies to them , how is that overposting?
Agreed.

BTW: It was me I was talking about, just making some lame  joke.  ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/01/05 at 7:51 pm

I agree that it CAN get annoying, and it's something I'm guilty of. I also think it's next to impossible to actually stay on topic. Tangents keep the thread going, without getting boring and repetitive.

Beth

Yeah, good point. :)

In real life, when people have conversations, that's kinda what tends to happen -- one mention of something, perhaps, will turn the discussion into something else. So, on that level I think it's cool.

But I tend to agree it's semi annoying when people "hijack", say the member photo threads, or have 3 pages of "chatroom" type off topic replies where it feels more like a one to one chat.

Written By: Apricot on 10/01/05 at 8:40 pm

"Bump Me" sucks. I hate it. It's like "Separated at Birth" among my most-hated threads. Seriously.

"Longest Thread Ever" is where I get my urges to spam and postwhore out of the way, so they don't affect my other postings.

Written By: YWN on 10/01/05 at 10:03 pm

"Bump Me" sucks.

Yeah, you're right.  I only bump there when I'm really bored.

Written By: nally on 10/01/05 at 11:45 pm

Yes, but the more times you bump that thread, the better chance it has at becoming the longest thread ever  :D  ;D

Which seems plain silly to me. ::) That's why I refuse to waste any posts on it.

If I want to go off topic on something, I'll either use the "Go Anywhere Thread" or my "Ask/Talk To Jeff" thread.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/05 at 3:15 am

There has been several different discussions in the "Longest Thread Ever", some have been serious and others very light-hearted.

Written By: Apricot on 10/02/05 at 10:37 am

There has been several different discussions in the "Longest Thread Ever", some have been serious and others very light-hearted.

Quite so... it's a great thread. You can use it to be serious, mildly silly, or completely insane.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/02/05 at 11:42 am

I'll just post anywhere that catches my fancy - whether if it's the "Longest Thread Ever," or  the "Three Eyed Monsters Discovered in Remote Island" thread.

Written By: MC2 on 10/04/05 at 4:19 pm

Oh I see how it is an age restriction in inthe00s isnt a bad idea but one in amiright is out of the question!!! stupid no good song makerfunnerofers i swear some day I'm gonna...

Written By: YWN on 10/04/05 at 5:07 pm

If I want to go off topic on something, I'll either use the "Go Anywhere Thread" or my "Ask/Talk To Jeff" thread.

Even though I know it is silly and it isn't a competition, I'm afraid to post much in any of Jim's threads for fear of Chucky deleting the thread and having my post count decrease.  ::)

Written By: nally on 10/04/05 at 5:09 pm

Even though I know it is silly and it isn't a competition, I'm afraid to post much in any of Jim's threads for fear of Chucky deleting the thread and having my post count decrease.   ::)

Jim as in...the guy whose account was banned a month ago? (Had the same name as the Cricket character in the Pinochio story.)

Written By: YWN on 10/04/05 at 5:12 pm

Jim as in...the guy whose account was banned a month ago? (Had the same name as the Cricket character in the Pinochio story.)

Yes.  But we shouldn't speak of him so openly, lest we be punished.

Written By: nally on 10/04/05 at 5:13 pm

Yes.  But we shouldn't speak of him so openly, lest we be punished.

Right. That's why I wasn't going to explicitly say his name. :-X

Written By: Apricot on 10/05/05 at 3:09 pm

Wait, since when could we not talk about Jiminy? I mean, his posts and name are plastered all over the PPP anyway.

Written By: YWN on 10/05/05 at 5:18 pm

Wait, since when could we not talk about Jiminy? I mean, his posts and name are plastered all over the PPP anyway.

Shhhhhhhhh!  >:(

Written By: Dagwood on 10/05/05 at 7:12 pm

I was thinking the same thing.

Written By: Guest on 04/22/06 at 5:58 pm

So what exactly does "overposting" mean again?
???

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/06 at 5:22 am

So what exactly does "overposting" mean again?
???
By reading the whole thread will give you the meaning again.

Check for new replies or respond here...