inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Guests

Written By: Apricot on 06/05/05 at 6:22 pm

Look At This:

I'd love to have Gwen bent over in front of me I'd convince her to "HOLLA"

Man who gives a darn if she is in her 30's....this chick is hot!!

All i know is that she is fudgein hot and i want to have sex with her.

These are the only two lately... that I've seen, anyway. But we get some BAD guests. Is there anything that can be done? Like having guest posts checked before they're posted, or SOME way to control these guests? Otherwise, they'll just keep this up... and it'll get worse.

Any opinions?

Subject: Re: Guests

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/05/05 at 7:39 pm

Look At This:

These are the only two lately... that I've seen, anyway. But we get some BAD guests. Is there anything that can be done? Like having guest posts checked before they're posted, or SOME way to control these guests? Otherwise, they'll just keep this up... and it'll get worse.

Any opinions?

did you make sure to report them so I can block them from posting further?

Written By: Apricot on 06/05/05 at 8:01 pm

Shoot, no, I forgot.  ;D

Written By: Marian on 06/06/05 at 2:11 pm

Look At This:

Any opinions?
::) ???I don't know why they bother to post here.On the Yahoo! news messageboards,that's condidered pretty mild.They should just go over there(check it yourself and you'll see what I mean)Or maybe they want their stuff archived?

Written By: Apricot on 06/06/05 at 2:20 pm

I think they just don't know it's a bit more strict here.. or they don't care.

Written By: Carrie on 06/07/05 at 11:30 pm

Most message boards don't allow guests anymore, you have to register. It solves a lot of problems.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/08/05 at 9:37 am

Most message boards don't allow guests anymore, you have to register. It solves a lot of problems.

I can enable or disable guest posting.  I prefer to leave guest posting enabled for most of the boards, it encourages new users who might be uncomfortable with signing up if they're not really interested in posting a lot.

Most of the problems caused by guests at the moment, are easily solved by regular users just using the report tool. 

I still haven't seen any of the posts reported, that seemed to have encouraged this thread

Written By: Apricot on 06/08/05 at 8:33 pm

I'll go about and report the comments, then.

Slipped My Mind, You See.

Written By: Carrie on 06/10/05 at 1:53 pm

Most of the problems caused by guests at the moment, are easily solved by regular users just using the report tool. 

Ok, I used it. I kinda feel like a tattle tale... :-\\ With the user name this person used, I think it is just some random dork being a pain.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/10/05 at 2:06 pm

Ok, I used it. I kinda feel like a tattle tale... :-\\ With the user name this person used, I think it is just some random dork being a pain.

basically just some random dork from what I could tell.

don't feel like a tattle tale.  If people don't report these losers, eventually that's all you'll see here.  Broken window syndrome.

Written By: Apricot on 06/10/05 at 2:24 pm

So, I take it you got the reports, then?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/10/05 at 2:33 pm

So, I take it you got the reports, then?

yes... and the posts are gone

Written By: Apricot on 06/10/05 at 3:13 pm

Oh, alright. Thanks.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/26/05 at 8:46 pm

I don't know about the rest of you...but I am getting so sick and tired of these stupid guests who find humor in making threads where they yell at members for no apparent reason.  There are ones that post and yell about certain threads being "lame" according to them...and others who yell and try to start something with regular members about posting things in the wrong category, when in fact, it was posted in the correct one.  I don't know if they are really idiot guests posting random and lame things, or if they are infamous members just messing around with everyone, but it is getting really annoying!
Isn't there some way to filter the guests?  I know, most messageboards that I have frequented...I had to join in order to post anything. I was able to read things but wasn't able to post anything until I took the time to become a member.  Or...is there some way that they can be blocked, etc? I was just curious because it's really annoying and it seems to be happening a LOT more lately, especially after the little alter-persona episode a couple weeks ago.

Erin :)

Written By: ADH13 on 08/26/05 at 8:49 pm

This most recent one is definitely a member or former member.. he/she knows this board inside and out.. i've seen things like "This should be in the PPP" and stuff...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/26/05 at 9:10 pm

Another problem is the =  and @, on the 2000 thread, it's becoming annoying and pointless.....  ::)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/26/05 at 9:14 pm

This most recent one is definitely a member or former member.. he/she knows this board inside and out.. i've seen things like "This should be in the PPP" and stuff...
I think it might be the infamous davebrown/kareoke queen/gambler character. Would it be possible to put an IP ban on this person? All he/she seems to post is nonsense (even when they were a member) and abuse.

And I agree on the making membership mandatory before posting idea. It's not exactly an easy move, but as the saying goes: a few people have ruined it for everybody.  :-\\

Written By: ADH13 on 08/26/05 at 10:20 pm

Another problem is the =  and @, on the 2000 thread, it's becoming annoying and pointless.....  ::)

I actually found @ to be humorous... although I do agree it would get old real fast...

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/27/05 at 6:38 am

strange that very few of these posts have been reported then.... I've made the forum member post only in the past.  While I don't like it, it does discourage the rejects for awhile. 

With summer over and the kids going back to school, this is probably the time of year we'll see more of this nonsense.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/27/05 at 11:18 am

strange that very few of these posts have been reported then.... I've made the forum member post only in the past.  While I don't like it, it does discourage the rejects for awhile. 

With summer over and the kids going back to school, this is probably the time of year we'll see more of this nonsense.

They probably haven't been reported because they're not actually violating any rules.. they're just annoying.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/27/05 at 12:45 pm

They probably haven't been reported because they're not actually violating any rules.. they're just annoying.

annyoing is a good reason to report something, if it's clear the individual is trying to be annoying

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/05 at 12:38 pm

I would like to see guests be able to post.  If a guest posts something nasty, or starts some meaningless thread, then just ban that guest.  It's more work for the moderators, but it makes the forum a friendlier place.

Written By: Powerslave on 09/02/05 at 9:38 pm

What's wrong with chicks in their 30s?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/02/05 at 10:45 pm

Eh?  ???

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/03/05 at 1:40 am

Eh?  ???

I second that. ???

Written By: ADH13 on 09/03/05 at 1:55 am

Being that I'm a 33 year old female, I'd like to know what's wrong with us too...

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/03/05 at 2:13 am

Nothing wrong with chicks in their 30s.  8) :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/03/05 at 2:41 pm

where did that come from?

Written By: Powerslave on 09/03/05 at 7:44 pm

where did that come from?

Check the first post of this thread.

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/03/05 at 8:18 pm

Check the first post of this thread.

;D

Written By: Apricot on 09/03/05 at 10:08 pm

Well, the poster is prolly some 14-year old jerk.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/05 at 12:27 am

Well, the poster is prolly some 14-year old jerk.

Chicks?  They prefer to be called women, either way as long as they're at least 18....
;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/04/05 at 12:43 am

Chicks?  They prefer to be called women, either way as long as they're at least 18....
;)

..either way as long as they're at least 4'8

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/05 at 1:10 am

..either way as long as they're at least 4'8

DON'T encourage me!  You'll get me in trouble!
:-X

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/04/05 at 1:11 am

DON'T encourage me!  You'll get me in trouble!
:-X

;D Fed's watching you as well  ;)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/04/05 at 7:22 am

I say don't disable guest posting. Why? Because you'll have a lot of them joining and then flooding the Playful Penguin Place with their nonsense. I mean, at least now there's an escape from them.

Beth

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/04/05 at 10:09 am

I think if a guest doesn't want to sign up for an account, then they wouldn't even post here if we disable guest posting!

So I don't think that would happen Beth, but I still think guests should still be allowed here.

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/04/05 at 11:12 am

I have a strong feeling one guest has just been banned from the boards. I was checking out unread replies when all of a sudden the entire thread I was reading disappeared... :o

And may I add: the contents of the posts I read  justify a ban by any standards!

Written By: Dagwood on 09/04/05 at 1:54 pm

Unless you missed a comment.  Sometimes Chucky will lose a thread if there is an inflammatory comment that could really cause problems.

Written By: FaultyDog on 09/04/05 at 4:00 pm

Unless you missed a comment.  Sometimes Chucky will lose a thread if there is an inflammatory comment that could really cause problems.

There were multiple harmful/vulgar/hateful/defanatory (you name it) comments on this particular thread, and they were all posted by the same guest.

Modified to add: I just noticed the thread is back, but without the posts I was referring to.

Written By: thenewwavechick on 09/30/05 at 4:43 pm

I don't think you should make the guest sign up manditory, because some people might think this is an unfriendly place, but I'd filter the guests' posts in case they're inflamatory and could cause trouble.  But that's my opinion. 
BTW, I think this group is cool.  :D

Written By: Apricot on 10/02/05 at 10:39 am

I say don't disable guest posting. Why? Because you'll have a lot of them joining and then flooding the Playful Penguin Place with their nonsense. I mean, at least now there's an escape from them.

Whoa. Good point. I never thought of it that way.

Written By: alyceclover on 11/19/05 at 9:15 am

Beth, YWN, Mr Red Shirt, and others saw what "Guest" did to the chatroom last night.

As a former "Guest", I became a member because it seemed to be a friendly, fun, welcoming place with substance...and I wanted to be able to play the games. So I think restricting Guest's activity on the Boards would deter the idiots that don't like the rules.

Written By: Tia on 11/19/05 at 9:56 am

oo! I cant resist putting in my two cents.

Guests should be allowed to post, I think. A lot of people do sorta float around for a while and want to test the waters. We should just in the habit of reporting hinky stuff, yeah? And as someone who cusses like a drunk sailor in my RL, I sorta like having to come up with workarounds for cuss words all the time. keeps me on my toes.

And I have no problem with women in their 30s. in fact, a lot of times women in their 20s are too young. ;)

Written By: Old Comedywriter on 11/22/05 at 7:54 pm

Beth, YWN, Mr Red Shirt, and others saw what "Guest" did to the chatroom last night.

That was a chat room bug that created all the guests...see http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,12987.msg705132.html#msg705132

Written By: Tia on 11/22/05 at 11:06 pm

I have a strong feeling one guest has just been banned from the boards. I was checking out unread replies when all of a sudden the entire thread I was reading disappeared... :o

And may I add: the contents of the posts I read

Check for new replies or respond here...