inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: inthe00s Arcade?

Written By: whistledog on 01/05/06 at 7:23 pm

Ever considered an Arcade section?  Alot of messageboards I've been to over the years have an arcade section with flash games like Tetris, Pac-Man, Asteroids, etc ...

Subject: Re: inthe00s Arcade?

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/05/06 at 8:53 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 01/05/06 at 9:31 pm

I've got them on my other decade sites, go to inthe80s.com or inthe90s.com  not flash though, Java...

I've seen those yes, but it's not the same unless I can try to beat other members scores.  lol

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/06/06 at 12:46 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: nally on 01/06/06 at 1:21 pm

I just played a couple of 'em. 8)

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/06/06 at 1:23 pm

I just played a couple of 'em. 8)

cool. glad people can see them, it's hard to beta test this stuff sometimes

Written By: whistledog on 01/06/06 at 1:30 pm

The new Arcade is awesome.  Thanks Chucky  8)

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/06/06 at 1:38 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: nally on 01/06/06 at 1:38 pm

cool. glad people can see them, it's hard to beta test this stuff sometimes

I just played the Tetris; I guess you have to move the blocks with the "up" arrow key.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/06/06 at 1:53 pm

I just played the Tetris; I guess you have to move the blocks with the "up" arrow key.

some of the games are definitely lacking in the instruction category, or use weird controls.

Written By: whistledog on 01/06/06 at 2:35 pm

Some of the games won't let me register my score  >:(

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/06/06 at 3:09 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 01/06/06 at 3:25 pm

let me know in this thread which they are.  I'll at least put a disclaimer up there.

so far the ones I've noticed ..

Sk8 Prison
Triathalon
Video Poker

Written By: nally on 01/06/06 at 5:24 pm

some of the games are definitely lacking in the instruction category, or use weird controls.

I notice that. At least I figured out to use the arrow keys when playing Pacman.

Written By: gemini on 01/06/06 at 6:10 pm

I played Break It, but it didn't register my score. How do I do that?

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/06/06 at 7:46 pm

if you obtained a positive score, it should have said something about recording your score when you were done. 

That is provided of course, that it actually supports recording scores.  Some of the games look like they don't so far.  I haven't tested more than a handful of thesse games since I installed at work during my lunch break, and didn't really have the time to try playing all 107 games, though that could always change >grin<

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/06/06 at 7:52 pm

I just tried it.  You have to click OK after you lose all your balls.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/06/06 at 7:56 pm

so far the ones I've noticed ..

Sk8 Prison
Triathalon
Video Poker

you need to CASH OUT on Video Poker.  It worked for me.

sk8 Prison does too..  You need to hit SUBMIT

and Triathalon requires you to hit SUBMIT SCORE

Written By: whistledog on 01/06/06 at 8:15 pm

you need to CASH OUT on Video Poker.  It worked for me.

sk8 Prison does too..  You need to hit SUBMIT

and Triathalon requires you to hit SUBMIT SCORE

I did all of those, but it kicks me out and sends me back to the forums  :\'(

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/06/06 at 8:36 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 01/06/06 at 8:39 pm

well, yeah, it's supposed to do that, when you get back to the forum there is a comment box.

When I click on Submit, it sends me right out to the inthe00s main page.  I had real good scores too  :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 01/06/06 at 8:50 pm

It must be a glitch of some kind, because I can register scores on Tetris and a few others

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/06/06 at 9:12 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 01/06/06 at 9:42 pm

it worked for me in Firefox.  might not work in IE, or it might be a problem with adblocking software, etc.

I just tried Firefox and they do work.  I guess they aren't IE friendly

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/06/06 at 11:17 pm

i don't see it...  :(

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/06/06 at 11:28 pm

"You arent allowed to view arcade, sorry! "

is the message I get.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/06/06 at 11:36 pm

"You arent allowed to view arcade, sorry! "

is the message I get.

I don't have a link on my main page either! :(

Written By: whistledog on 01/07/06 at 1:32 am

U know what would be cool?  If in your profile, it would show stats of what Arcade games you have the top score in.  Probably not possible though

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/07/06 at 3:39 am

Looking good!  8)

Spent some of the late afternoon over there. Some of the games are alot harder than they look.  :o

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/07/06 at 7:45 am

I don't have a link on my main page either! :(

looks like I had to enable it seperately for the Website Editors... no idea why, but you should be able to see it now

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/07/06 at 12:16 pm

looks like I had to enable it seperately for the Website Editors... no idea why, but you should be able to see it now

yes it works now, thanks Chucky! :)

Written By: FaultyDog on 01/07/06 at 5:17 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: gemini on 01/07/06 at 10:48 pm

if you obtained a positive score, it should have said something about recording your score when you were done. 

That is provided of course, that it actually supports recording scores.  Some of the games look like they don't so far.  I haven't tested more than a handful of thesse games since I installed at work during my lunch break, and didn't really have the time to try playing all 107 games, though that could always change >grin<

I played it again tonight and it showed other names and scores, but I didn't see an option for signing in  :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 01/07/06 at 11:09 pm

If you use Firefox, you can register scores on all of the games.  Here is a link to the Firefox website:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Takes about a minute to download, and it's honestly a better browser than Internet Explorer  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/10/06 at 2:10 pm

Hey Chucky, there seems to be a problem with solitaire. When I go it-it has a REALLY BIG screen. I tried to play it like that but I can't move cards to a pile that is off the screen. Can you help?

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/10/06 at 2:30 pm

Hey Chucky, there seems to be a problem with solitaire. When I go it-it has a REALLY BIG screen. I tried to play it like that but I can't move cards to a pile that is off the screen. Can you help?

strange that was the default size.  I changed it and it looks fine now.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/10/06 at 2:50 pm

strange that was the default size.  I changed it and it looks fine now.

Thanks, Chucky.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 01/13/06 at 8:19 pm

Everyone seems to be enjoying the arcade games
but all I get is a blank screen on all the games except
"Airwar".It gets frustrating seeing a blank screen.I feell
I am missing out on all the fun.

Written By: FaultyDog on 01/14/06 at 4:22 am

I still find it strange that you can't submit scores on some games when using IE. I mean, IE came with my computer (it comes with most computers, doesn't it) and now I get "punished" for actually using that..? It's like the chat room thing happening all over.

Chucky - can you please fix that?

Yes I know - I could install Firefox, but why should I when IE meets my needs? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/14/06 at 7:32 am

I still find it strange that you can't submit scores on some games when using IE. I mean, IE came with my computer (it comes with most computers, doesn't it) and now I get "punished" for actually using that..? It's like the chat room thing happening all over.

Chucky - can you please fix that?

Yes I know - I could install Firefox, but why should I when IE meets my needs? ???

Unfortunately I don't think this is something I can easily fix

and if that chat room didn't work with your machine, it's probably because your cookies are disabled, not because of IE.  Or if you have javascript disabled. These are things controlled by you, not me, so I can't change them.

If cookies and javascript are enabled and the chat room wasn't working, your version of IE is hopelessly out of date and should be updated, along with a ton of security updates you're probably missing.

Written By: FaultyDog on 01/14/06 at 7:58 am

Unfortunately I don't think this is something I can easily fix

and if that chat room didn't work with your machine, it's probably because your cookies are disabled, not because of IE.  Or if you have javascript disabled. These are things controlled by you, not me, so I can't change them.

If cookies and javascript are enabled and the chat room wasn't working, your version of IE is hopelessly out of date and should be updated, along with a ton of security updates you're probably missing.

Guess I'll just have to avoid some of the games then.  :( (O well - the ones I can't submit scores to are not my favourites anyway).

And about the chat room thing I mentioned: the first version of the chat room you installed didn't work with IE either, that's what I was referring to. That has since been fixed (not that I use it very often), but like I said: it feels a bit like IE comes in second place.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/14/06 at 9:22 am

Guess I'll just have to avoid some of the games then.  :( (O well - the ones I can't submit scores to are not my favourites anyway).

And about the chat room thing I mentioned: the first version of the chat room you installed didn't work with IE either, that's what I was referring to. That has since been fixed (not that I use it very often), but like I said: it feels a bit like IE comes in second place.

That's because it is second place.  It might be the most installed, but it is filled with security holes, and doesn't support the latest features, or even the base standards that are accepted by the IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force).  Microsoft hasn't updated it in years, except for when some new security issue becomes known.

Check for new replies or respond here...