inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Members Only Posting

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/28/06 at 2:55 am

I move we remove the ability for guests to post...I've see a lot of waffle, flaming or plain crap on the forum in the last couple of weeks or so for some odd reason. Probably an old topic, but I just want to see how many ppl agree with me...

Subject: Re: Members Only Posting

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/28/06 at 3:44 am

I think there are some guests who contribute meaningful posts to the boards, and then there are others who don't.  There are some guests though, who make me think they're abusing the privilege.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/29/06 at 12:39 pm

I move we remove the ability for guests to post...I've see a lot of waffle, flaming or plain crap on the forum in the last couple of weeks or so for some odd reason. Probably an old topic, but I just want to see how many ppl agree with me...

I agree. Most of it is blatant crap.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/29/06 at 7:49 pm

But people like to try out boards before they join, and see how people will react to them...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/29/06 at 9:17 pm

But people like to try out boards before they join, and see how people will react to them...

The flip-side of that is you can delete your account if you post here and decide you don't want to anymore.  Or you can just not come back.  "Guests" can essentially come here and say and do whatever they want because they can't be sanctioned for it.  I think what Chucky is doing is very nice, but it can be very easily abused.

Written By: Tam on 05/10/06 at 11:34 pm

I was thinking about this the other day....

What if there was a program or something that Chucky could put in place that doesn't take a lot of work, that would allow guests to post, but only a certain amount? If I were to come here as a guest, I could post say 5 comments and when I went to post my 6th, a box would pop up saying I have used all of my 'membership-free' posts and if I would like to continue posting I would have to register for an account. MIght be a lot cause it would have to track IP addresses....

Just a thought

Written By: whistledog on 05/11/06 at 8:44 pm

I was thinking about this the other day....

What if there was a program or something that Chucky could put in place that doesn't take a lot of work, that would allow guests to post, but only a certain amount? If I were to come here as a guest, I could post say 5 comments and when I went to post my 6th, a box would pop up saying I have used all of my 'membership-free' posts and if I would like to continue posting I would have to register for an account. MIght be a lot cause it would have to track IP addresses....

Just a thought

I like this idea 8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/11/06 at 9:11 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 05/31/06 at 2:55 pm

the Guests are getting out of control.  They need to go

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/31/06 at 3:46 pm

the Guests are getting out of control.  They need to go

it would help if people pointed out examples instead of just saying the same tired stuff over and over again

Written By: whistledog on 05/31/06 at 3:48 pm

it would help if people pointed out examples instead of just saying the same tired stuff over and over again

In the "What 80s song are you listening to", I was getting the 3rd degree from a guest who calls himself "Ellipsis".  Apparently the song I was listening to was technically released in the 70's, so he began harassing me about it  ::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/31/06 at 3:53 pm

In the "What 80s song are you listening to", I was getting the 3rd degree from a guest who calls himself "Ellipsis".  Apparently the song I was listening to was technically released in the 70's, so he began harassing me about it  ::)

and you responded to them?  first mistake.

seriousily, there has to be worse offenses than that before I'd consider turning it off. 

Written By: whistledog on 05/31/06 at 3:57 pm

and you responded to them?  first mistake.

seriousily, there has to be worse offenses than that before I'd consider turning it off. 

I s'pose it was a mistake for me to respond to them  :-[

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/31/06 at 3:58 pm

What about that 5*19*86 guy that keeps coming back insulting members of the board?  He's been harrassing me and one other member on the boards via AIM and a couple days ago he was CockSmith and told Brian06 he wanted him to choke on his d*ck.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/31/06 at 9:39 pm

What about that 5*19*86 guy that keeps coming back insulting members of the board?  He's been harrassing me and one other member on the boards via AIM and a couple days ago he was CockSmith and told Brian06 he wanted him to choke on his d*ck.

I can't help you with the AIM stuff.  as for the "cocksmith" posts, they were quickly removed

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/01/06 at 9:50 pm

That is your mistake to accept AIMs from the guy. Anyone who sends an AIM has to be accepted by the person its being sent to. If you(and the others) wouldnt play a game with the guy, he would leave. Accepting his messages tells him you want to play. Trolls are like cancer. Dont feed it, and it will die.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/02/06 at 6:10 pm

That is your mistake to accept AIMs from the guy. Anyone who sends an AIM has to be accepted by the person its being sent to. If you(and the others) wouldnt play a game with the guy, he would leave. Accepting his messages tells him you want to play. Trolls are like cancer. Dont feed it, and it will die.

I don't talk to him.  I've never responded to him once, and the only reason I accepted the 1st IM was because I thought it was someone else from these boards.  He didn't have an AIM name in his profile, so I didn't know it was him.  He just says his sh*t and then logs off.  It's annoying, but comical.

I can't "feed" anything if I don't respond to him.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/27/06 at 10:18 am

Human Air Conditioner is a good example as to why we should have "members only posting."

Written By: KKay on 06/27/06 at 10:39 am

they should post...perhaps in the more superficial categories (ok for "songs A-Z" but not "Feel any way")
and they should not start topics.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/27/06 at 6:47 pm

Or Poopie Longstocking.

Written By: Roadgeek on 06/27/06 at 6:50 pm

Or Poopie Longstocking.

I read that awhile ago.

We need to disable the guests at least temporarly. At one time, I was a guest. Look for the posts from "Billy". They are starting to get out of hand.

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/06 at 8:42 pm

The guests are out of control.  They are everywhere

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/28/06 at 8:44 pm

Yeah, a banned member who had all of his posts deleted as a guest is back......with 3 or 4 different names now. 

Written By: Apricot on 07/28/06 at 9:12 pm

It's a shame that all non-members have to be restricted, but.. I don't think guest posting should be allowed anymore.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/28/06 at 9:36 pm

The report tool isn't broken on posts to my knowledge.  I've seen one report and taken care of it.  The other "returned banned member as guest" is just a regular member screwing with you guys, which isn't even original. 

Lighten up already.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/28/06 at 11:58 pm

The guests have hijacked threads like the Britney Spears thread. And they post nonsensical bullcrap and think they can get away with it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/20/06 at 1:24 am

I just started a thread addressing the problem of rude guests.  I'd like to see guests be able to post here.  I don't mind the inane and silly ones.  However, nobody should have to put up with abuse.

Written By: annonymouse on 10/14/06 at 3:42 pm

i agree. guests shouldn't be allowed to post here. i mean ,is it really all that hard to make an account???

Written By: annonymouse on 10/14/06 at 3:45 pm

But how would we keep tabs on them without them actually having an account? They could just use another name/computer...I mean if it depends on the ip address...

well, so could members that get banned. they could just start a new account on a new computer. but i don't theink someone would move just so they could post on inthe00s

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/06 at 4:53 pm

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/coolestshop_1920_367326142

Written By: Jessica on 11/09/06 at 6:05 pm

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/coolestshop_1920_367326142

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/26/06 at 9:18 am

^I posted a pic of a Members Only jacket.  Ha ha ha!  Meh, I guess it's not worth reposting the image...
:-\\

Written By: karen on 11/28/06 at 6:55 am

^I posted a pic of a Members Only jacket.  Ha ha ha!  Meh, I guess it's not worth reposting the image...
:-\\

the joke only worked if you knew what the heck a 'Members Only Jacket' is.  I've seen them mentioned a ton of times here so worked out what you meant but had never heard of them till I started posting here on the boards

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/06 at 3:37 pm

Has it been noticed that when we had the old server we only recevied a single figure of new members a day, but we did then have guest posting.

Now after the installation of the new server the total per day of new members are:

26/11/06 Sunday 33

27/11/06 Monday 51

28/11/06 Tuesday 51

29/11/06 Wednesday 26 (so far for today)

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/29/06 at 9:17 pm

Has it been noticed that when we had the old server we only recevied a single figure of new members a day, but we did then have guest posting.

Now after the installation of the new server the total per day of new members are:

26/11/06 Sunday 33

27/11/06 Monday 51

28/11/06 Tuesday 51

spammers... the captcha isn't working anymore so I disabled it.

I'm going to upgrade the software in a few weeks hopefully.  That'll bring back the captcha (image verification thing), as well as the arcade.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/30/06 at 1:26 am

...I'm going to upgrade the software in a few weeks hopefully.  That'll bring back the captcha (image verification thing), as well as the arcade.
Just in time for Christmas?

Written By: nally on 11/30/06 at 11:35 am

26/11/06 Sunday 33

27/11/06 Monday 51

28/11/06 Tuesday 51

Oh my goodness, I just noticed that today. Maybe these people realize that they can't lurk anymore...so they need to register.

I wonder how many of them have actually done some posting. :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/30/06 at 12:04 pm

Oh my goodness, I just noticed that today. Maybe these people realize that they can't lurk anymore...so they need to register.

Just by the Members List, not many.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/30/06 at 12:28 pm

not sure if anyone is able to get a registration email yet or not.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/22/07 at 2:05 pm

That line is hillarious "Trolls are like Cancer, Don't Feed it and it will die"

Written By: skittlesking on 01/22/07 at 2:07 pm

Or Poopie Longstocking.

Poopie Longstocking has left a few comments on my parodies in the site, she has been honest with me though--don't know where she went crazy---haven't checked many of her posts, nice avatar by the way.

Written By: nally on 01/22/07 at 3:01 pm

Poopie Longstocking has left a few comments on my parodies in the site, he has been honest with me though--don't know where he went crazy---haven't checked many of his posts, nice avatar by the way.

I'm not sure if that person is a member here (i'm guessing probably not), but I have seen numerous comments on Amiright.com from an entity under that name. Did he/she/it stop by here once?

Written By: skittlesking on 01/22/07 at 10:48 pm

Not that I've seen, she is very active on AmIRight in the Song Parodies, and many of her comments are positive. . .apparently according to some members, she does occassionally post here too under that name (he/she/it I guess is more appropriate) but without the same taste, I dunno

Written By: nally on 01/23/07 at 12:38 am

Not that I've seen, she is very active on AmIRight in the Song Parodies, and many of her comments are positive. . .apparently according to some members, he does occassionally post here too under that name (he/she/it I guess is more appropriate) but without the same taste, I dunno

I have been a member here for three years and I don't think I have seen a post from this entity. However, on Amiright.com I have seen many comments from he/she/it/banjo, especially on toilet-themed parodies (which I myself don't care for in general, but the humor is what counts!)...mostly between 2003-05. I guess he/she/it/banjo has commented on other kinds of parodies too? ???

Written By: skittlesking on 01/23/07 at 1:07 am

Well, my one toilet humor did get her attention--I don't do toilet humor, but her username wether stood out. . . http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/verticalhorizon6.shtml is another one she commented on, but her comment and vote were both very positive, and the others I've seen by her are also. . .I guess everyone has their own expierences with different people:)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/23/07 at 1:44 am

W-Dog

I know this has already been responded to, but ... has been harrassing the crap outta parody authors for ages, with the same anal complaint.  The year thing.  And other stuff, like who performed what song originally.

It was in part why Chuck changed the lead in on the parody page to read (e.g.) :

"The Riddle" Based on the performance by Nik Kershaw

rather than simply saying By Nik Kershaw

Because ... and his/her ilk would spend their days commenting on how it was originally done first by Bluegrass Bob and his Performing Termite Band, three years before Nik Kershaw was born etc etc  ::)

Then, the OneGuy would come in and zap it with all ones.  I am convinced that ... and the OneGuy are of the same parentage  :P

If you can't make them disappear, you don't have much choice but to admire the fact that in no way could you possibly lead a life anywhere near as dull as them  ;) :D

Written By: whistledog on 01/23/07 at 1:57 am

W-Dog

I know this has already been responded to, but ... has been harrassing the crap outta parody authors for ages, with the same anal complaint.  The year thing.  And other stuff, like who performed what song originally.

It was in part why Chuck changed the lead in on the parody page to read (e.g.) :

"The Riddle" Based on the performance by Nik Kershaw

rather than simply saying By Nik Kershaw

Because ... and his/her ilk would spend their days commenting on how it was originally done first by Bluegrass Bob and his Performing Termite Band, three years before Nik Kershaw was born etc etc  ::)

Then, the OneGuy would come in and zap it with all ones.  I am convinced that ... and the OneGuy are of the same parentage  :P

If you can't make them disappear, you don't have much choice but to admire the fact that in no way could you possibly lead a life anywhere near as dull as them  ;) :D

Wow!  I can't believe he did that in the parody sections as well.  He always seemed so obsessed with proper years and such of songs ... He totally got on my case about "I Don't Like Mondays" and I made the mistake of giving proof that it was a 1980 hit in Canada.  I never heard the end of it.  lol

It is quite unbelievable just how many times he has quoted people with "what he seems to think is" correct information on songs.  I don't believe he ever gave his age, so I often wonder if maybe it's just some kid googling stuff to try and show people up.  lol

Written By: nally on 01/23/07 at 2:00 am

Wow!  I can't believe he did that in the parody sections as well.  He always seemed so obsessed with proper years and such of songs ... He totally got on my case about "I Don't Like Mondays" and I made the mistake of giving proof that it was a 1980 hit in Canada.  I never heard the end of it.  lol

It is quite unbelievable just how many times he has quoted people with "what he seems to think is" correct information on songs.  I don't believe he ever gave his age, so I often wonder if maybe it's just some kid googling stuff to try and show people up.  lol

I think Luke was referring to the Amiright.com site, where people leave comments for parodies submitted to that site. As for the Ellipsis fellow, I have not seen him in ages, so maybe he's gone now. ::)

I remember the incident with "I Don't Like Mondays"...you told me about it in the Flashchat. That was rather rude of him to do.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/23/07 at 2:03 am

I think Luke was referring to the Amiright.com site, where people leave comments for parodies submitted to that site. As for the Ellipsis fellow, I have not seen him in ages, so maybe he's gone now. ::)

I remember the incident with "I Don't Like Mondays"...you told me about it in the Flashchat. That was rather rude of him to do.

Yeah !  I meant AmiRight, where the parodies get submitted  :)

Written By: skittlesking on 01/23/07 at 2:39 am

I've been corrected once on a song that I posted as 90s, apparently it came out in the 00s, however the commenter aparently did not grade the song. . .another annoymous commenter corrected my posting of a parody of "Always Forever" as being "I Love You Always Forever", again without voting or commenting on the parody itself, but at least I know someone is reading it I guess :)

Written By: whistledog on 01/23/07 at 2:43 am

man, good ol' ...  He's always right there to correct people on songs.  He only ever posted as a guest on the boards, so i don't think we will ever see him on inthe00s again

Written By: nally on 01/23/07 at 5:39 pm

man, good ol' ...  He's always right there to correct people on songs.  He only ever posted as a guest on the boards, so i don't think we will ever see him on inthe00s again

Maybe he left when he found out that guests weren't allowed to post here anymore. I doubt very seriously that he'll ever sign up.

Written By: skittlesking on 01/23/07 at 7:04 pm

;D  :D  :o  ::)
Yay!!

Check for new replies or respond here...