inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Medals... to award excellent behavoir

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/05/06 at 1:40 pm

so far, there's only one medal that can be earned.  It's an H for highlighted topic on the front page. 

I'll probably create a few more as time goes by, to reward "EXCELLENT" behavoir...

I'm not going to award myself medals, though you might see one in my profile from time to time if I need to test a new one

I'm always welcome to suggestions if you think someone deserves special POSITIVE recognition.

Subject: Re: Medals... to award excellent behavoir

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/06 at 1:47 pm

I noticed member HawkTheSlayer has one.  They are quite large medals :o

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/05/06 at 1:56 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/05/06 at 2:21 pm

yeah, not sure if I'm going to keep them that large or not. file size wise, they are pretty small (2K) even though they are roughly 1/4th the size of an avatar.

I resized it... I like the new size a little more I think.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/05/06 at 2:32 pm

that's a cool idea! ;)

Written By: nally on 05/05/06 at 2:33 pm

yeah, not sure if I'm going to keep them that large or not. file size wise, they are pretty small (2K) even though they are roughly 1/4th the size of an avatar.

Where do they appear?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/05/06 at 2:54 pm

Where do they appear?

under your avatar and personal text.  check out a post on the front page and you'll see them when you click on the comments.

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/06 at 3:06 pm

they look better at the new smaller size :)

One question though .. home come they are silver? LOL

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/12/06 at 3:21 pm

Cool idea! Along with rank and gaming "badges" this is a great way to reward activity. Some suggestions-

- A "Good Conduct" medal for those who haven't needed action taken against them over a certain span.
- A "Veteran's" medal for those who have been members for a certain span
- A "Member of the year" award
- A "Service" award for a person who does or suggests something that significantly improves the site.
- A "Super Poster" award for those who reach a certain level of post, say 10,000

I realize that you couldn't check every member to see if they would qualify for a medal, but if someone feels they met the qualifications than they could request one.

Written By: Apricot on 05/14/06 at 4:37 pm

I like the "Poster of the Year" award... maybe a "newcomer of the month/bimonth/year" would be nice, too.

I think a "good conduct" is a bit too general... maybe if someone mediates an argument well...

Oooh, I got it! We need a nomination-type thread... you can't just say "I elect ____ because he's so funny! LOL!" or "___ is so cool, he needs a medal!"... there would need to be good reason, and then a lot of people would need to agree, too.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/15/06 at 12:54 am

We could have an "Ace" type award for those who get 5 gaming badges. 

Written By: Apricot on 05/15/06 at 5:47 pm

We could have an "Ace" type award for those who get 5 gaming badges. 

Some people figured out ways to cheat at those games, though... so that would be a medal that wasn't rightly earned.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/15/06 at 7:40 pm

Some people figured out ways to cheat at those games, though... so that would be a medal that wasn't rightly earned.

I like the idea, but yeah, I'd have to remove all the games that are broken in one way or another before I do that.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/15/06 at 7:41 pm

I like the "Poster of the Year" award... maybe a "newcomer of the month/bimonth/year" would be nice, too.

I think a "good conduct" is a bit too general... maybe if someone mediates an argument well...

Oooh, I got it! We need a nomination-type thread... you can't just say "I elect ____ because he's so funny! LOL!" or "___ is so cool, he needs a medal!"... there would need to be good reason, and then a lot of people would need to agree, too.

a nomination thread would be a cool idea, but I think too many people would pull the old "nominate me and I'll nominate you" nonsense, or create fake accounts to try and "win" nominations, etc.  too much grief.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/15/06 at 7:43 pm

Cool idea! Along with rank and gaming "badges" this is a great way to reward activity. Some suggestions-

- A "Good Conduct" medal for those who haven't needed action taken against them over a certain span.
- A "Veteran's" medal for those who have been members for a certain span
- A "Member of the year" award
- A "Service" award for a person who does or suggests something that significantly improves the site.
- A "Super Poster" award for those who reach a certain level of post, say 10,000

I realize that you couldn't check every member to see if they would qualify for a medal, but if someone feels they met the qualifications than they could request one.

A service award is a cool idea.  I like the thought that if someone suggests something that is a major improvement in the way things are done here, they should be noted for it.

the others, well, stars are what you get at certain posting milestones, no need for more recoginition, good conduct, most people SHOULD qualify for that anyways.  The veteran idea doesn't really reward people for doing more than just showing up...

Written By: Apricot on 05/17/06 at 1:55 pm

a nomination thread would be a cool idea, but I think too many people would pull the old "nominate me and I'll nominate you" nonsense, or create fake accounts to try and "win" nominations, etc.  too much grief.

See, that's why you'd need a reason and general consent. For example, just because Poster "A" elects Poster "B" doesn't mean they get the medal.. Poster A would have to explain why B really deserved it, and then there would have to be some agreement in the community. You can't just say that someone's nice or friendly.. you have to have a good reason, and then you have to back it up.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/17/06 at 2:48 pm

See, that's why you'd need a reason and general consent. For example, just because Poster "A" elects Poster "B" doesn't mean they get the medal.. Poster A would have to explain why B really deserved it, and then there would have to be some agreement in the community. You can't just say that someone's nice or friendly.. you have to have a good reason, and then you have to back it up.

and then said person conducts a little PM campaign of asking everyone to go vote for them.

I'm not totally opposed to the idea... I thought of it when first doing the medals, but then thought of ways people could try to "game it".  How many people would mean "general consent"?  Ten regulars? 40 guests? I want it to be fair, so I want it to be some sort of quantifable figure.

Written By: Apricot on 05/18/06 at 2:21 pm

and then said person conducts a little PM campaign of asking everyone to go vote for them.

I'm not totally opposed to the idea... I thought of it when first doing the medals, but then thought of ways people could try to "game it".  How many people would mean "general consent"?  Ten regulars? 40 guests? I want it to be fair, so I want it to be some sort of quantifable figure.

Yeah, there's a lot of ways to get loopholes and fight technicalities with this stuff... we'd have to decide, I was just kinda trying a rough idea.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/19/06 at 4:13 pm

A Postwhore medal  ;D  ;D i love it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/20/06 at 1:28 pm

A Postwhore medal  ;D  ;D i love it.

ZOMG...........I want one.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/20/06 at 2:31 pm

ZOMG...........I want one.
If there were such a badge, you'd deserve one  ;D

Written By: Little_devil_rider on 08/23/06 at 4:50 pm

loki 13 shoul get one for his remember when thread. or my self for people who should be hit in the face wit ha fish ;D

Written By: Max Power on 05/28/07 at 4:09 pm

Should make a medal similiar to the quiz medal, for 25 parodies submitted.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/28/07 at 5:29 pm

Should make a medal similiar to the quiz medal, for 25 parodies submitted.

I thought of that, but there's soooo many people who qualify, I'd be there all day adding them.

Written By: nally on 05/29/07 at 12:23 am

I thought of that, but there's soooo many people who qualify, I'd be there all day adding them.

Not only that, but many of the folks who've made parodies don't visit the MB. But then again, there's probably a number of quiz authors who don't come here either.

Written By: whistledog on 04/13/08 at 4:54 pm

Unless I might have missed the post about it, what's this E medal I see ?

EDIT:  I assume it's for Editors.  In which case, where's my M medal >:( ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/13/08 at 6:55 pm

yesh, I'm not made of medals you know!  how about if I send you a best of Carrot Top CD to make it up to you for the lack of a medal and for Canada sending us Celine Dion.

I'll see if I can make one this week.

Written By: whistledog on 04/13/08 at 10:35 pm

yesh, I'm not made of medals you know!  how about if I send you a best of Carrot Top CD to make it up to you for the lack of a medal and for Canada sending us Celine Dion.

We also gave you 'Who Let the Dogs Out' :P  No way we were going to suffer alone on that one ;D

Written By: Davester on 04/13/08 at 10:42 pm

Send him a package bomb for that one...

Written By: Davester on 04/14/08 at 1:05 am

Gots me another medal.  I'm highly dekkerated!  Boom-chicka-boom-chicka-boom...

Written By: nally on 04/14/08 at 10:54 am

Yes, it is. In one of the boards which only editors and Chucky can see, there's an explanation about the "E" medal.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/15/08 at 1:08 pm

I gave you one, but because you're fiercely Canadian, it's on backwards

;D ;D ;D

Written By: whistledog on 04/15/08 at 3:05 pm

I gave you one, but because you're fiercely Canadian, it's on backwards

;D ;D ;D

;D I see you even put an explanation for it on the Medals page ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/07/09 at 7:50 am

Here's another idea-

Karma leader. A medal for those who reach the top spot in the Karma leader board.

I'd rather not

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/07/09 at 2:42 pm

here's another idea:  Family member medal, for instance Loki has a total of 5 family members here, Tam has 3, Cat has 2, and Jess & Rice, Ash & Semper Yoda & I'm sure there are others. something exclusive to their family like a family crest or something.  so anyways, it's just an idea, not sure if it's medal worthy  8)

Written By: Tia on 04/07/09 at 3:23 pm

I'd rather not
i have definitely seen some feats of excellence in outstanding achievement in smite club. for instance, every time howard says something sexual or scatalogical he gets a smite, with the consequence that he has twice as many smites as just about everyone else.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/07/09 at 3:30 pm

here's another idea:  Family member medal, for instance Loki has a total of 5 family members here, Tam has 3, Cat has 2, and Jess & Rice, Ash & Semper Yoda & I'm sure there are others. something exclusive to their family like a family crest or something.  so anyways, it's just an idea, not sure if it's medal worthy  8)

Actually, Cat has 3 but we won't go there.

Cat

Written By: karen on 04/07/09 at 3:39 pm

i have definitely seen some feats of excellence in outstanding achievement in smite club. for instance, every time howard says something sexual or scatalogical he gets a smite, with the consequence that he has twice as many smites as just about everyone else.

The problem with this medal - and also the karma medal - is that the leader board might change.  Probably won't but just might

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/07/09 at 3:44 pm

I usually like medals for things that encourage people to do positive things for the community.  Stuff that people may need help getting off the fence to do.  No one needs to be encouraged to smite Howard.

I'd rather award medals for things like, started a thread that got mentioned on a popular blog, or started a thread (that isn't a game) and received 100+ replies

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/07/09 at 3:46 pm

The problem with this medal - and also the karma medal - is that the leader board might change.  Probably won't but just might

yeah, unfortunately the whole medal thing is a pain to deal with in this version of the software, so adding/removing them takes a bit of time (especially since I'm the only one who can do it).  The next version of the software will be better, but when we upgrade I'll end up having to re-add all the medals by hand!

so yeah, I prefer things that are an achievement that won't disappear with time

Written By: Tia on 04/07/09 at 3:47 pm

i should get a medal for selflessly recommending that howard get a medal without thinking of myself for even a moment.

Written By: karen on 04/07/09 at 3:59 pm

yeah, unfortunately the whole medal thing is a pain to deal with in this version of the software, so adding/removing them takes a bit of time (especially since I'm the only one who can do it).  The next version of the software will be better, but when we upgrade I'll end up having to re-add all the medals by hand!

so yeah, I prefer things that are an achievement that won't disappear with time

Do we have a date for when the new software will be available?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/07/09 at 7:36 pm

Cat
your evil twin?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/07/09 at 7:57 pm

Do we have a date for when the new software will be available?

no... though they are in the first release candidate stage... I would assume it would be this summer.  I'm in no rush for an upgrade at this point, since I have yet to see a new version of the arcade software that works as well as the current one does, and we'll need a new version of that with the new software.  Although everything else looks pretty good.

Written By: whistledog on 04/07/09 at 8:59 pm

How about an automatic medal for tenure?  One that changes by number everytime your registration date comes around

Of course, a medal like that would look odd on inactive member accounts.  People would be all like "How does he get a #5 medal when he only has 100 posts?"  LOL

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/09 at 12:23 am

Cat

I have one! and one co worker...where's my medal

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/09 at 12:24 am

i should get a medal for selflessly recommending that howard get a medal without thinking of myself for even a moment.

;D

and I should get a medal for my mad live blogging skills....when the boards move to 807 and then 806  it'll be because I took pop culture to a whole new level!  8)

;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/08/09 at 12:32 am

I have one! and one co worker...where's my medal
that's a medal idea right there Q. Medal for nw member recruitment to inthe00s  8)

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/09 at 12:36 am

that's a medal idea right there Q. Medal for nw member recruitment to inthe00s  8)

yeah!

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/08/09 at 6:57 am

been proposed before... figured it would be abused by people making their friends sign up who then never log in a second time.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/08/09 at 7:17 pm

been proposed before... figured it would be abused by people making their friends sign up who then never log in a second time.
I would not do that just to get a cyber medal  ;D  hey Chucky, maybe you could give copies of your book as incentive of some kind.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/11/09 at 1:31 pm

your evil twin?

Actually, not. You know Don Carlos, Dawg, &  :-X .

Cat

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 05/01/09 at 5:29 pm

Re: Medals... to award excellent behavoir

I think there should be one for excellent spelling, or for excellent spell-checking.
It's "behavior", or "behaviour" in UK. In all fairness, perhaps "behavoir" is French savoir-faire ("Grosvenor" is surely French derivation, non, Monsieur?). ;)
For the record, the free, open-source Firefox browser has a built-in spell-checker that flags errors as you type, *anywhere* (like here), which is a big help even to those of us who are former Spelling Bee champs but lousy typists. (It ain't easy typing with flippers, ya know! :D )

Humbly awaiting award... (j/k!)  8)

Written By: snozberries on 05/01/09 at 9:45 pm

Actually, not. You know Don Carlos, Dawg, &  :-X .

Cat

there's someone else?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/02/09 at 12:25 pm

there's someone else?

Yup-I think I told you about that. Only posted once or twice. Probably won't ever be back again-but then again, you never know.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/06/09 at 2:23 am

Yup-I think I told you about that. Only posted once or twice. Probably won't ever be back again-but then again, you never know.

Cat

dang I usually have a good memory for these things but this one escapes me...

Check for new replies or respond here...