inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Signature size restricted again

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/11/06 at 9:09 am

I've tried to leave it unrestricted, but there's too many people who don't seem to understand that the signature field is not for 3 or 6 images.

maximum height is now 160 pixels.  anything else is cut off.  The board will not resize it for you, it consumes too much processor power to have to resize everyone's images for them.

Subject: Re: Signature size restricted again

Written By: karen on 05/11/06 at 9:30 am

Thank you Chucky.  One or two were beginning to annoy me

Written By: Gis on 05/11/06 at 10:40 am

Ditto ! It was driving me nuts scrolling through all those huge images trying to read a thread.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/11/06 at 10:42 am

I'm with Karen and Gis too, it's great that sigs have been reduced - I still wish I knew how to get a (one) pic in my sig tho'  ;D ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/11/06 at 11:38 am

I agree with all of the above. Thanks, Chucky.

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/11/06 at 11:44 am

I don't use any humongous sig pictures, so I approve of the sig size restriction as well. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 05/11/06 at 8:22 pm

short signatures are the best.  I mean why do you need to lave large pictures and all kinds of junk in your signature?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/11/06 at 8:26 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 05/11/06 at 8:43 pm

I'm with Karen and Gis too, it's great that sigs have been reduced - I still wish I knew how to get a (one) pic in my sig tho'   ;D ;D

if you want to get a pic in your sig, just do it like you would normally post a pic in the forum.  ie:  {img}http://www.website.com/image.jpg{/img}

change the { } brackets around the IMG to though :)

Because some people want to.  If you don't like the picture and are using Firefox, you can always right-click and block the image.  That way whenever you see that person's posts, you don't see the image.

True about blocking the image, but it's just doesn't feel the same.  I was once a member of a messageboard where  everyone had signatures that had lots of animated gifs and giant pictures in them, which took up alot of bandwidth and webspace, so eventually the admin there made it so if you wanted a signature, you had to donate money to the site on a monthly basis.

Large signatures are not a good idea.  Who knows, Chucky might start charging for signatures (I'm only kidding.  Chucky, please don't get any ideas from this) ;D

Written By: whistledog on 05/11/06 at 9:30 pm

Below my signature, there is a big chunk of blank space.  I notice it is the same with other people's signatures ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/11/06 at 10:06 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Tia on 05/11/06 at 10:20 pm

everyone knows you can set the height in the sig line? just go or whatever you want the height to be. i set mine to 100 so they look uniform and don't take up too much space, even though i got a bunch of them.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/12/06 at 2:55 am

I don't use any humongous sig pictures, so I approve of the sig size restriction as well. ;)

It also makes a great difference in scrolling through lengths and lengths of personal messages, as sometimes 3 or 4 messages will only fit one page if the sender has a massive sig. So woopee doo

Written By: nally on 05/12/06 at 2:32 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/13/06 at 5:45 pm

Good. The current size looks manageable. I, myself have decided to stick clear of pictures in sig lines as they distract from the original message.

Written By: Apricot on 05/14/06 at 4:40 pm

I HATE those multi-image sigs.. maybe restrict to to one image, or re-size?

What I'd like to see is more text allottment in a sig... 300 doesn't quite let me say what I want most of the time. 500 is the standard I see on most forums (1000 for the real generous ones), and it usually works.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/20/06 at 8:28 pm

:/ what if we can have bigger images, but only one?

Violaters will get a warning?

Written By: Tia on 05/20/06 at 8:31 pm

:(

i like it how it is now.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/20/06 at 11:41 pm

I'm just wondering why some people can have sigs that exceed the limit if they're images stacked on top of each other, but if I want one image that is 400x100, I can't have it without it being resized.  I think that's a little odd.

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/06 at 1:39 am

I'm just wondering why some people can have sigs that exceed the limit if they're images stacked on top of each other, but if I want one image that is 400x100, I can't have it without it being resized.  I think that's a little odd.

It seems as though Images can only be so wide, before they manually resize.  An image say of 400x400 wouldn't look distorted because it makes up for it in length.  It is a little odd I agree.

Written By: Tia on 05/21/06 at 7:27 am

i think the maximum for hotlinking is something like 300 pixels; if it's bigger than that, it seems to get resized.

Written By: Gis on 10/22/06 at 4:47 am

Is it just me or have some signature pictures got annoyingly, distractingly huge again??

No offense to Alex(The Dude) but his is really bugging me.

Written By: whistledog on 10/22/06 at 1:59 pm

Is it just me or have some signature pictures got annoyingly, distractingly huge again??

No offense to Alex(The Dude) but his is really bugging me.

Yeah, his needs to go.  Signatures should be small, not filled with large sized images

Written By: Tia on 10/22/06 at 2:23 pm

this was my sig line for a while. meat! had to PM me and give me a reality check.

http://i2.tinypic.com/23m5wnb.gifhttp://i3.tinypic.com/23m5zpj.gifhttp://i3.tinypic.com/23m5zpj.gif

Written By: Marian on 10/22/06 at 4:23 pm

Yeah, his needs to go.  Signatures should be small, not filled with large sized images
Your avatar is causing the board to slow on my computer.is it the site it comes from?it's not that big.

Written By: whistledog on 10/22/06 at 7:03 pm

Your avatar is causing the board to slow on my computer.is it the site it comes from?it's not that big.

I uploaded it directly to the system rather than link it from some other site.  It is smaller in size than avatars i have used in the past.  I am assuming you are on a dial-up connection?  Most animated images will make computers on dial-up quite slow  :-\\

Written By: Marian on 10/24/06 at 3:04 pm

I uploaded it directly to the system rather than link it from some other site.  It is smaller in size than avatars i have used in the past.  I am assuming you are on a dial-up connection?  Most animated images will make computers on dial-up quite slow  :-\\
Yeah I noticed it's a small avatar,that's why i can't figure out why it does that.I'm not sure wha t the library has.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/24/06 at 4:21 pm

If you're on Firefox, all you have to do is right-click on the image, check "block images from..." and then refresh the page.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/24/06 at 10:41 pm

the sig size restriction should be back in effect, let me know if it isn't

Check for new replies or respond here...