inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Restriction on number of threads started?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/01/06 at 10:48 am

Would it ever be a consideration to put a restriction on how many threads a person can start in lets say, per week?  For instance, you could set it up so that one person could only create maybe 5 new threads (or whatever given number) a week/month, etc?  It just seems that a lot of people are getting frustrated over the same type of threads being started like 10 times a day, and the threads with substance are being buried among the repetitive threads. Just a suggestion.

Subject: Re: Restriction on number of threads started?

Written By: Tia on 06/01/06 at 10:50 am

a good search engine helps and pressure on people when they start duplicate threads (although, you know, gentle pressure. for some reason the most zealous thread/topic nazis are the guests!) but then that's a resource hog the same way the threadwhoring is.

Written By: whistledog on 06/01/06 at 12:45 pm

Would it ever be a consideration to put a restriction on how many threads a person can start in lets say, per week?  For instance, you could set it up so that one person could only create maybe 5 new threads (or whatever given number) a week/month, etc?  It just seems that a lot of people are getting frustrated over the same type of threads being started like 10 times a day, and the threads with substance are being buried among the repetitive threads. Just a suggestion.

It's like every five minutes, there is a new one.  They start a thread, then like a minute later, they start another one, and it gets to the point, where all the good topics get bumped to Page 2 or 3.  I almost considered leaving the boards over this, and was nearly seconds away from deleting my account

I originally joined this place for the 80's music discussions, but lately, i find I can hardly get in a word edgewise without it getting lost in the mix of threads that are stupid, repetitive and make no sense at all

Written By: nally on 06/01/06 at 2:13 pm

Good idea, Erin. I notice Donnie D starting a whole plethora of them lately. I mean, he's a cool guy and all, but he's been starting a whole bunch of threads relating to the same kind of thing, most of which I am not the least bit interested in, so I just leave 'em be.

Written By: Marian on 06/01/06 at 3:39 pm

It's like every five minutes, there is a new one.  They start a thread, then like a minute later, they start another one, and it gets to the point, where all the good topics get bumped to Page 2 or 3.  I almost considered leaving the boards over this, and was nearly seconds away from deleting my account

I originally joined this place for the 80's music discussions, but lately, i find I can hardly get in a word edgewise without it getting lost in the mix of threads that are stupid, repetitive and make no sense at all
I've had the same feeling,but probably only 5 a week is a little harsh.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/01/06 at 9:09 pm

he's been starting a whole bunch of threads relating to the same kind of thing, most of which I am not the least bit interested in, so I just leave 'em be.
Bingo. You just hit the nail on the head. There doesn't need to be restrictions. This is a close community. Even though I dont post very often, I have been here about a year, and I recognize alot of your names, and everyone gets along. If you want to see an end to threads that the core group of members isn't interested in, then you have to ignore those threads. The creator of the threads will see he is not getting attention to all of his threads, and he will stop posting so many. If people continue to post in those threads just for the sake of posting(quite a few of you have very high post counts), then the person creating the threads will continue doing it.

P.S. These comments are not meant to insult Donny D. Its more of a general  statement about all people who do this type of thing.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/01/06 at 10:01 pm

Five a week sounds good.

Donnie makes like.. 10 a day...

STOP IT!!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/02/06 at 4:36 am

5 a week for Donnie

Unlimited for the rest of us.

:D

Written By: nally on 06/02/06 at 11:04 am

Bingo. You just hit the nail on the head. There doesn't need to be restrictions. This is a close community. Even though I dont post very often, I have been here about a year, and I recognize alot of your names, and everyone gets along. If you want to see an end to threads that the core group of members isn't interested in, then you have to ignore those threads. The creator of the threads will see he is not getting attention to all of his threads, and he will stop posting so many. If people continue to post in those threads just for the sake of posting(quite a few of you have very high post counts), then the person creating the threads will continue doing it.

P.S. These comments are not meant to insult Donny D. Its more of a general statement about all people who do this type of thing.

I'm not intending to insult him, either. And like I just said, I ignore the threads I'm just not interested in.

Written By: Marian on 06/02/06 at 2:26 pm

5 a week for Donnie

Unlimited for the rest of us.

:D
heh,heh

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/06 at 2:28 pm

I struggle to think of a new thread at all times.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/02/06 at 4:37 pm

I know what you mean. I'm lucky if I start 5 a year. And then they usually end up on page 4 before the end of the day.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/06 at 4:55 pm

I know what you mean. I'm lucky if I start 5 a year. And then they usually end up on page 4 before the end of the day.  :-\\

Cat
Over the next few days I am hoping to create a list of possible new topics, and see how they go.

Written By: nally on 06/02/06 at 11:28 pm

I do that too. I often ponder what kind of thread I might wanna start (aside from a Penguin Quiz or Happy Birthday thread)...and when I see a really good one started by someone else, I think to myself, "Why didn't I think of that?!" :o

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/08/06 at 7:44 pm

Five a week sounds good.

Donnie makes like.. 10 a day...

STOP IT!!

There's definitely been a revival in that lately.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/08/06 at 11:47 pm

Or, you could report the thread/post to a moderator wiith that link at the bottom of the post. :D

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/06 at 12:26 am

Or, you could report the thread/post to a moderator wiith that link at the bottom of the post. :D

That would be alot of reportin'.  Chucky would open his e-mail and see like a thousand reports on threads ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/06 at 12:28 am

Just in the last few days there has been two similar threads started on the same subject, Best 80s Cover Songs.

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/06 at 12:31 am

Just in the last few days there has been two similar threads started on the same subject, Best 80s Cover Songs.

I noticed that yes.  One is a thread for covers of 80s songs, and the other is a thread for 80s songs that were covers.  Ideally though, there are already many threads similar.  I know I did similar ones late last year

I think though that the people (whose names I won't mention) who start all these threads, just like to see their name displayed everywhere

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/06 at 12:40 am

I noticed that yes.  One is a thread for covers of 80s songs, and the other is a thread for 80s songs that were covers.  Ideally though, there are already many threads similar.  I know I did similar ones late last year

I think though that the people (whose names I won't mention) who start all these threads, just like to see their name displayed everywhere
There is more to life than having your name displayed everywhere.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/09/06 at 12:42 am

I think anyone who posts on a message board like seeing their name everywhere, or else they wouldn't do it.  I do agree there is a point when it's overdone, though.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/09/06 at 12:44 am

What's that going to do?  It's not the content of the threads that's the problem.

WOW.  I think that's rather ignorant of you to say.  It'll do EXACTLY what the function is designed to do - Let a moderator know.  Follow it up with a PM to the mod; quit crying about it here.  By letting a mod know they can delete the bullsh!t duplicate threads that apparently flood this board.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/06 at 12:45 am

I think anyone who posts on a message board like seeing their name everywhere, or else they wouldn't do it.  I do agree there is a point when it's overdone, though.

It is like seeing yourself on TV, if you get the chance?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/06 at 12:46 am

WOW.  I think that's rather ignorant of you to say.  It'll do EXACTLY what the function is designed to do - Let a moderator know.  Follow it up with a PM to the mod; quit crying about it here.  By letting a mod know they can delete the bullsh!t duplicate threads that apparently flood this board.
If you do not wish to Let a moderator know, just ignore the new unwanted thread.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/09/06 at 12:47 am

If you do not wish to Let a moderator know, just ignore the new unwanted thread.

That too.  Good point Phil.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/09/06 at 12:52 am

Ignorant?  What the whoozle?  Ummm, nice insult.

Right....you seem to like to use it quite a bit from what I've seen.   ::)

Written By: Davester on 07/09/06 at 12:54 am

The generic search feature on this board is not the best but I see many message boards using it now, certainly the ones I frequent...

The google search does not quite cut it.  It spits out random and dated topics making it difficult to target a particular topic.  An internal search feature, that is, oh I dunno, integrated with the software would be vastly more useful in helping to alleviate the redundant topic problem...

Edited: Forgot to make a point...

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/09/06 at 1:17 am

Which, therefore are different topics.

What I wanted to say is that there are too many threads started that don't provoke meaningful discussion, they're just exclamations or lists of statistics, or questions already asked many times...though I start alot of threads, my threads tend to have long, well-thought out posts as their impetus and are original.

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/06 at 2:24 am

Which, therefore are different topics.

What I wanted to say is that there are too many threads started that don't provoke meaningful discussion, they're just exclamations or lists of statistics, or questions already asked many times...though I start alot of threads, my threads tend to have long, well-thought out posts as their impetus and are original.

Not all threads need to provoke meaningful well-thought out discussions though.  Polls are a good example

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/06 at 3:55 am

Not all threads need to provoke meaningful well-thought out discussions though.  Polls are a good example
Many a time a part of the subject has been omitted.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/09/06 at 7:59 am

I'm gonna weigh in on this subject again. Some of you make valid points. When I first posted in this thread, I didn't think a restriction was necessary. Now, it looks like it should be implemented. I hate to single one person out, and I mean no offense to them, but this Donnie guy is just way out of control on his spamming of the forum with topics. I am shocked that moderators are not on top of this problem. People shouldn't have to use the 'report to moderator' feature for that type of problem. That is a moderators job to spot those types of things themselves. At the forum I was a Global Mod at, the 'report to moderator' feature was used only in the case of very offensive posts or someone posting officially released songs.

The administrator relies on his moderators to do their jobs and keep the forum running at a good pace, keeping it clean,etc. That doesn't seem to be the case here. There are actual moderators in this thread complaining. Why not do something about the problem? I see mods here with thousands of posts, and an extremely high daily post average. You should stop posting so much and do the things required of a moderator. Yeah its fun to post at forums, but when someone who owns a site picks you to help him out, you should take that position very seriously.

A few things would fix this specific problem without any restrictions. Start merging these identical threads. There definitely needs to be a sticky topic in concern to this decadeology thing that is spiraling out of control. Most people dont want to see the forum cluttered with 'Is the 90's the 80's?" and 'Is the 00's the 90's?" type threads. That stuff is posted way too much, boring, old, and extremely repetitive. It might actually drive guests away and maybe lose potential members, and existing ones as well. When people go to a forum and they see half the first page in each section loaded with identical threads, it reeks of amateurism and they will just consider the site a joke and then leave. If the admin is against creating sticky threads to contain the repetive decadeology crap, then those types of threads need to be locked immediately, and the few people that engage in that convo told to take it to PMs. If the moderators are unwilling(or unable) to do this, then a new moderating team may be required to fix the problem.

P.S. In no way is this post meant as insult to the administrator. This is an outstanding forum. Very classy. You have done a fine job building this community. I may not post as much as some of the members, but I come here quite frequently. I think the site just needs some minor corrections.

Written By: Gis on 07/09/06 at 8:57 am

I agree. When Donnie left a month or so ago it was to do with the very fact that people were getting fed up with his constant new topic posting. When he came back he did promise he wasn't gong to go mad with the similar/duplicate posting thing, that promise didn't seem to last very long. I too have nothing against him per se, and I don't want to see him take umbridge and decide to leave again but I am totally fed up with all these 'decadology' threads. It's old and tired and boring.

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/09/06 at 4:00 pm

I TOTALLY agree with you ...whacko..

I mod the defleppard.com board, and it's my job to oversee, and make sure duplicates are not posted, and threads are kept clean....the report to moderator button has not been used there ONCE yet.  We have 3 mods, and 2 Administrators there.  SOMEONE is always there, keeping things sane. 

But thats just my 2 cents...you know.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/09/06 at 5:49 pm

I TOTALLY agree with you ...whacko..

I mod the defleppard.com board, and it's my job to oversee, and make sure duplicates are not posted, and threads are kept clean....the report to moderator button has not been used there ONCE yet.  We have 3 mods, and 2 Administrators there.  SOMEONE is always there, keeping things sane. 

But thats just my 2 cents...you know.

Well, this isn't *other* boards.  There aren't moderators for most of the boards, which is why I've asked the members to report stuff. I guess if people prefer I appoint babysitters to every board on the site, we can always take that approach instead.

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/09/06 at 7:12 pm

With all due respect, I know this isnt other boards. 

I'm just saying thats what works for our board over there.  And we dont have members discussing this very subject.    We have over 2300 hundred members on a boad dedicated to a band...and for the most part it runs pretty smoothly.  Its taken care of by 3 mods and 2 administrators. 

You have over 4800 members, one administrator, and 12 single board mods..and how ever many global, or what you call them mods. (exact numbers not known...I apologize)  I'm not knocking how you run it here...thats purely your call...but IMNSHO, I would think with that many mods, excessive thread repetition wouldnt be a problem.   

I go into a forum, I would rather reads threads, or post, not have to report another duplicate thread to a mod...I always thought thats what a mod was for, to handle it before it got out of control.

And I apologize if this bothers anyone...seeing as how my post count is low..and Im not around a whole lot,  but Ive been around enough places to see them either prosper well with a good staff, or go down the drain because of a bad one.    So far this board has prospered, but I do see an excessive amount of complaining about alot of things. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/09/06 at 10:03 pm

I'm just saying thats what works for our board over there.  And we dont have members discussing this very subject.    We have over 2300 hundred members on a boad dedicated to a band...and for the most part it runs pretty smoothly.  Its taken care of by 3 mods and 2 administrators. 

You have over 4800 members, one administrator, and 12 single board mods..and how ever many global, or what you call them mods. (exact numbers not known...I apologize)  I'm not knocking how you run it here...thats purely your call...but IMNSHO, I would think with that many mods, excessive thread repetition wouldnt be a problem.   

I go into a forum, I would rather reads threads, or post, not have to report another duplicate thread to a mod...I always thought thats what a mod was for, to handle it before it got out of control.

And I apologize if this bothers anyone...seeing as how my post count is low..and Im not around a whole lot,  but Ive been around enough places to see them either prosper well with a good staff, or go down the drain because of a bad one.    So far this board has prospered, but I do see an excessive amount of complaining about alot of things. 

well first of I should apologize if I came off grumpy in that post, I was taking care of a ton of porn spam and the software should have handled it better.

anyways, there's a ton of moderators, but they are all assigned a single board, and it's less of a moderator position and more of a conversation facilitator.

one thread with two dozen posts isn't much complaining, and it's really just one person that's becoming a nuiscence.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/09/06 at 11:55 pm

I'm just saying thats what works for our board over there.  And we dont have members discussing this very subject.     We have over 2300 hundred members on a boad dedicated to a band...and for the most part it runs pretty smoothly.   Its taken care of by 3 mods and 2 administrators. 

The problem though is that although those threads seem repetitive, old and unimportant to you, me and many others, people do still reply to them...therefore it is hard for us to say the topics are a complete nuisance and worthy of being restricted/deleted.  If these new threads kept surfacing with little to no response, I would agree that Chucky should (and probably would) consider it spam... but since it apparently interests some people, who are we to decide it doesn't belong?

However, with the creation of these new boards, I might suggest a new board for "Decade Comparisons" or something, and I'm sure those who like to create those threads would be respectful enough to post their new threads in the designated board.. thus eliminating any annoyance to those who aren't interested, but not taking it away completely from those who are.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/09/06 at 11:59 pm

The problem though is that although those threads seem repetitive, old and unimportant to you, me and many others, people do still reply to them...therefore it is hard for us to say the topics are a complete nuisance and worthy of being restricted/deleted.  If these new threads kept surfacing with little to no response, I would agree that Chucky should (and probably would) consider it spam... but since it apparently interests some people, who are we to decide it doesn't belong?

It interests about 3 people, and it's always the same 3 people and the same one person doing all the spamming.

Written By: whistledog on 07/10/06 at 12:13 am

It interests about 3 people, and it's always the same 3 people and the same one person doing all the spamming.

Yes.  One of them has a first name that rhymes with the last name of a former co-star of Charles in Charge ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 07/10/06 at 12:13 am

It may only be about three people, although actually I'd say more like 6 or 7 people - but here is the problem.  Take a look at page 1 on the 80's forum.  Aside from the ongoing "What song from the 80's are you listening to?", you will find (at the time of this post, anyway) that "Does anyone disagree 90's is 80's" has the highest number of reads and replies on the page.   Also if you go to page 5 you will find again that one of those type threads has the second highest number of reads/replies on the page... so I just think it's a little unfair to say that just because some of us are not interested in those threads, that they should be taken away... since they are obviously of interest to some...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/10/06 at 1:16 am

It may only be about three people, although actually I'd say more like 6 or 7 people - but here is the problem.  Take a look at page 1 on the 80's forum.  Aside from the ongoing "What song from the 80's are you listening to?", you will find (at the time of this post, anyway) that "Does anyone disagree 90's is 80's" has the highest number of reads and replies on the page.  Also if you go to page 5 you will find again that one of those type threads has the second highest number of reads/replies on the page... so I just think it's a little unfair to say that just because some of us are not interested in those threads, that they should be taken away... since they are obviously of interest to some...

It's spam.  It's the same person making the same threads in every forum over and over and over again.  We don't need 10 threads on what makes 1989 less/more 80s than 1990.  A lot of views just means a lot of bored people clicking on threads to see what all the hub-bub is about.  I would say # of posts would be a good sign of whether or not it's interesting.

Written By: whistledog on 07/10/06 at 1:18 am

It's spam.  It's the same person making the same threads in every forum over and over and over again.  We don't need 10 threads on what makes 1989 less/more 80s than 1990.  A lot of views just means a lot of bored people clicking on threads to see what all the hub-bub is about.  I would say # of posts would be a good sign of whether or not it's interesting.

I would agree with this.  Most of those views on the topics are from the thread starters themselves, looking for ways to either re-edit the post, or bump it so it appears as the first topic

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 07/10/06 at 1:36 am

Here's why its spam: It dominates the forum, with only a few members showing any interest. Sometimes those types of threads are started without even trying to entice discussion. The thread will be titled 'is the 80's the 90's', with '.....' as the first post. Why cant these few people talk about that stuff in one thread? Why does it require a bunch of threads for each section? Its really bringing down the quality of the forum. I haven't looked at the stats of this forum, but I have noticed the activity has dropped recently. I wouldnt be shocked if this decadeology stuff was  a big reason for that. People interested in all the things that happened in these decades dont care to see the forum dominated by threads asking if 1999 is really 1988.
anyways, there's a ton of moderators, but they are all assigned a single board, and it's less of a moderator position and more of a conversation facilitator.
I mean no disrespect, but that is funny. Your forum members are the real "conversation facilitators, not the mods. Although I understand what you mean. When a forum starts you need your mod team to keep threads going and the conversation flowing. But this forum is big enough to where that isn't required at this point.
Well, this isn't *other* boards.  There aren't moderators for most of the boards, which is why I've asked the members to report stuff. I guess if people prefer I appoint babysitters to every board on the site, we can always take that approach instead.
I think that is a good idea. Now is the time to tackle the various problems before they get too out of hand. You have a really good forum here, and alot of dedicated members, and it would be best to build from that instead of allowing certain things to run off current and potential members.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/10/06 at 1:41 am

Even for someone who was originally interested in that...I'm not one of those 3 people anymore. I thought when Donnie left, he learned the lesson about spam.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/10/06 at 9:35 am

I would say # of posts would be a good sign of whether or not it's interesting.

Like I said, aside from the "What song from the 80's are you listening to" it had the highest reads AND replies...and same on pg 5, was 2nd highest reads AND replies so, yeah.

But anyway, regardless of whether it's 2 people, 10 people or 200 people, if it is getting responses, I think it has a place here so long as it isn't breaking the rules.  If people feel that it is dominating the boards, or it really bothers people to see that thread, then I think the answer is to give those kinds of threads their own home... that way those who enjoy it can still carry on their discussions and the rest of us simply won't visit that section...

just my humble opinion... :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/10/06 at 9:39 am

Like I said, aside from the "What song from the 80's are you listening to" it had the highest reads AND replies...and same on pg 5, was 2nd highest reads AND replies so, yeah.

But anyway, regardless of whether it's 2 people, 10 people or 200 people, if it is getting responses, I think it has a place here so long as it isn't breaking the rules.  If people feel that it is dominating the boards, or it really bothers people to see that thread, then I think the answer is to give those kinds of threads their own home... that way those who enjoy it can still carry on their discussions and the rest of us simply won't visit that section...

I think that's a good idea Andrea...that way there will be a designated place for that kind of discussion...and it won't trickle over and dominate the regular boards.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/10/06 at 4:16 pm

I'm not talking about the "What song are you listening to" threads.  I'm talking about the "Are the 80s more 90s than the 70s" threads.  The "what song are you listening to" threads are something everyone enjoys and no one complains about.  The other thread is something very few people enjoy and quite a few people complain about it.  I don't know why the "what song are you listening to" thread was even brought up because that's not the kind of threads the people here are complaining about.

Written By: whistledog on 07/10/06 at 4:23 pm

Donnie has been warned about spamming, yet he still continues to spam.  I am not surprised

Speaking of which, he's already started like 8 topics today alone

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/10/06 at 5:34 pm

Donnie has been warned about spamming, yet he still continues to spam.  I am not surprised

He's not going to stop.  He'll quit for a while and then start up again.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/10/06 at 6:29 pm

That is a good idea.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 07/10/06 at 6:41 pm

I think giving these type of threads their own forum is a great idea.  That way those interested in them can frequent them and the rest of us don't have to wade through them to find what we want.

Written By: whistledog on 07/10/06 at 7:20 pm

Now it's 12 topics.  His spamming is getting out of control

Written By: ADH13 on 07/10/06 at 7:50 pm

I'm not talking about the "What song are you listening to" threads.  I'm talking about the "Are the 80s more 90s than the 70s" threads.  The "what song are you listening to" threads are something everyone enjoys and no one complains about.  The other thread is something very few people enjoy and quite a few people complain about it.  I don't know why the "what song are you listening to" thread was even brought up because that's not the kind of threads the people here are complaining about.

Read my post carefully... I didn't say anyone was complaining about "What song are you listening to"... what I said was, that besides that one, the 80's/90's comparison thread had the highest number of replies on the page.  If the "what song are you listening to" is distracting you from my point, then I'll rephrase.  The 2 80's/90's comparison threads started by Donnie had the second highest number of replies on the pages they're on

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/10/06 at 7:56 pm

Read my post carefully... I didn't say anyone was complaining about "What song are you listening to"... what I said was, that besides that one, the 80's/90's comparison thread had the highest number of replies on the page.  If the "what song are you listening to" is distracting you from my point, then I'll rephrase.  The 2 80's/90's comparison threads started by Donnie had the second highest number of replies on the pages they're on

Yeah, and how many replies did they have?  I click on a lot of threads; doesn't mean I'm interested in them.  Sometimes I'm just bored and want to take a peek.  If I'm interested, I'll post something.  It doesn't mean they deserve their own forum.  LTE has a lot of views.....should we give that thread it's own forum?

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/10/06 at 8:27 pm

Here's why its spam: It dominates the forum, with only a few members showing any interest. Sometimes those types of threads are started without even trying to entice discussion. The thread will be titled 'is the 80's the 90's', with '.....' as the first post. Why cant these few people talk about that stuff in one thread? Why does it require a bunch of threads for each section? Its really bringing down the quality of the forum. I haven't looked at the stats of this forum, but I have noticed the activity has dropped recently. I wouldnt be shocked if this decadeology stuff was  a big reason for that. People interested in all the things that happened in these decades dont care to see the forum dominated by threads asking if 1999 is really 1988. I mean no disrespect, but that is funny. Your forum members are the real "conversation facilitators, not the mods. Although I understand what you mean. When a forum starts you need your mod team to keep threads going and the conversation flowing. But this forum is big enough to where that isn't required at this point. I think that is a good idea. Now is the time to tackle the various problems before they get too out of hand. You have a really good forum here, and alot of dedicated members, and it would be best to build from that instead of allowing certain things to run off current and potential members.

The traffic is down because it is summer, it happens every year.

As for taking care of it, throwing more mdoerators at the problem won't solve it.  Banning the topics will, and itf that doesn't work, banning the person responsible for them will.

Not sure what the other "various problems" are.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/10/06 at 8:39 pm

Yeah, and how many replies did they have?  I click on a lot of threads; doesn't mean I'm interested in them.  Sometimes I'm just bored and want to take a peek.  If I'm interested, I'll post something.   It doesn't mean they deserve their own forum.  LTE has a lot of views.....should we give that thread it's own forum?

Chucky already made his decision so I'm not going to go in circles over it anymore... but fyi replies=posts... second highest replies means second highest posts.

Written By: nally on 07/10/06 at 10:30 pm

The "what song are you listening to" threads are something everyone enjoys and no one complains about.

I post in those threads, but only when there's music playing around me.

Written By: nally on 07/10/06 at 10:35 pm

Now it's 12 topics.  His spamming is getting out of control

I've seen him start thread after thread after thread...but 99.999439% of them I'm just not interested in, so I don't even go there. I have read all the replies in this thread regarding Double D and agree with what most everyone has said about 'im. DD, I don't think he's a bad guy or anything, but most of his threads have to do with the same general subject. :-X

Written By: Mr. Guest on 07/11/06 at 10:21 am

I've seen him start thread after thread after thread...but 99.999439% of them I'm just not interested in, so I don't even go there. I have read all the replies in this thread regarding Double D and agree with what most everyone has said about 'im. DD, I don't think he's a bad guy or anything, but most of his threads have to do with the same general subject. :-X

yeah, he always makes factually incorrect statments about what constitutes the "decade of the _0's"...can't we just say they run from January 1, ___0 to December 31, ___9 and just get it over with? Cuz it is rather annoying.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/15/06 at 9:23 pm

The spam is not stopping.  It's not even "decadeology" threads anymore.....it's just whatever random thought pops up.

Written By: whistledog on 07/15/06 at 9:32 pm

The spam is not stopping.  It's not even "decadeology" threads anymore.....it's just whatever random thought pops up.

Yes, and it probably won't ever stop.  They start like 5 threads a day on things that could easily be talked about in just one thread.  Some topics they do, don't even make sense

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/15/06 at 9:48 pm

Yes, and it probably won't ever stop.  They start like 5 threads a day on things that could easily be talked about in just one thread.  Some topics they do, don't even make sense

Who's "they"? The pop culture analysis mafia?

Written By: Davester on 07/15/06 at 10:11 pm

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/INTHEOOs2.jpg

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/16/06 at 12:17 am

HEY!  Haven't you heard of the Omerta?  You're not supposed to talk about the pop culture analysis mafia. 

Check for new replies or respond here...