inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When's a good time to end a quiz?

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 07/24/06 at 1:17 am

I didn't really know any other place to post this.

I notice that some quizzes get finished, but others are shut down due to inactivity (by the quiz makers, of course), and other members just reveal all the remaining answers. When's a good time to do that? A week? A month?

Subject: Re: When's a good time to end a quiz?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/24/06 at 1:50 am

If you make the quiz, you determine when you close it.  After a while some makers put a deadline up saying that if you don't/can't finish it by X date, they'll post the answers and that's it.  Some just go on indefinitely.

Written By: karen on 07/24/06 at 4:03 am

If you decide to end a quiz make sure you've left long enough for people to think about it.  Occasionally I see a quiz posted here late (for me) on Friday and when I come back to look on Monday it's already been closed.

Written By: FaultyDog on 07/24/06 at 4:14 pm

If you make the quiz, you determine when you close it.  After a while some makers put a deadline up saying that if you don't/can't finish it by X date, they'll post the answers and that's it.  Some just go on indefinitely.

I second that.

It's also a question of experience, really. My first quizzes went on really long, 'cause I didn't know what songs to use. The longer I was around, the more I learnt about other members' taste -  but even now there's always a couple of songs in my quizzes that no-one will get (I admit I do this on purpose sometimes  ;)).
It is my experience that there's hardly any use in keeping a quiz running for two weeks or more - unless some new players come along, but that doesn't happen very often.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 07/25/06 at 8:20 am

Thans for the suggestions! I'll keep those in mind.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/25/06 at 11:04 am

I didn't really know any other place to post this.

I notice that some quizzes get finished, but others are shut down due to inactivity (by the quiz makers, of course), and other members just reveal all the remaining answers. When's a good time to do that? A week? A month?

I said the answer to one of Erin's quiz.... She never told me if I was right :(.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/06 at 2:53 pm

What I do is I will put a quiz up. Usually the first day or two most of the questions are answered. About the 3rd or 4th day, I will post hints to the ones that are were not answered. After several days if the questions are STILL not answered, I will reveal the answers.

Cat

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 07/26/06 at 4:19 pm

What I do is I will put a quiz up. Usually the first day or two most of the questions are answered. About the 3rd or 4th day, I will post hints to the ones that are were not answered. After several days if the questions are STILL not answered, I will reveal the answers.

Cat

Good idea. I'm gunna go reveal my answers now :)

Written By: nally on 09/12/06 at 11:49 am

For the most part, I don't really care. When I post a quiz, it ends whenever the last item has been answered. If, however, several days have passed and there's no new responses, then I put up hints. As a last resort, I remove the limit, hoping that'll help. Only one time I've had to give away the last two answers...and I think that was when the quiz was 30 days old.

Check for new replies or respond here...