inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rude guests

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/20/06 at 1:21 am

I reported a lewd comment a guest made to one of our members.  I would like to see guests remain allowed to post on the regular boards (even if they can't post on politics/religion).  Is it possible for the moderators to block a non-member?  I'd hate to see a couple of creeps spoil it for the others.  Prohibition of guest posts would stop the flame-and-run jerks; however, the vast majority of guests just want to post legit comments or questions.  I think a better way would be to omit the abusive post and block that guest.
???

If you see a remark from a guest or a member that is abusive or threatening, you're best off not responding to it on the board, but reporting it to the moderators.  Like obscene phone callers, these guys want to get a rise out of you.  Don't give them the satisfaction.

Subject: Re: Rude guests

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/20/06 at 1:44 am

I reported a lewd comment a guest made to one of our members.  I would like to see guests remain allowed to post on the regular boards (even if they can't post on politics/religion).  Is it possible for the moderators to block a non-member?  I'd hate to see a couple of creeps spoil it for the others.  Prohibition of guest posts would stop the flame-and-run jerks; however, the vast majority of guests just want to post legit comments or questions.  I think a better way would be to omit the abusive post and block that guest.
???

If you see a remark from a guest or a member that is abusive or threatening, you're best off not responding to it on the board, but reporting it to the moderators.  Like obscene phone callers, these guys want to get a rise out of you.  Don't give them the satisfaction.

that's a good point Max, best to not give any attention to a rude or obscene guest. I don't know if the mods should be given to power to block if that is the same as BAN unless there are set guidelines as to what type of remarks warrant blockage.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/20/06 at 3:18 pm

that's a good point Max, best to not give any attention to a rude or obscene guest. I don't know if the mods should be given to power to block if that is the same as BAN unless there are set guidelines as to what type of remarks warrant blockage.

No, just the mods would retain the power to block.  I was suggesting members simply use the "report to the moderator" option, and eschew replies to a-holes.

Written By: Tam on 09/20/06 at 7:29 pm

???

I believe the only person who can 'ban' or 'block' a guest is Chucky and/or Mirrorshades. 8)
I don't have the capability to do that on the food board, and unfortunately Chucky can't be on here to moderate 24/7.
The only thing I can suggest is exactly what you said Max.... ignore the post and report to moderator.
If I had the ability - I would go remove it for you! 8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/20/06 at 9:04 pm

I believe the only person who can 'ban' or 'block' a guest is Chucky and/or Mirrorshades. 8)
I don't have the capability to do that on the food board, and unfortunately Chucky can't be on here to moderate 24/7.
The only thing I can suggest is exactly what you said Max.... ignore the post and report to moderator.
If I had the ability - I would go remove it for you! 8)

Sounds like a plan for now.  If nastiness gets out of hand, Chucky might need to consider more restrictive solutions, but let's cross our fingers. As for the lewd post I reported, if I could have sent my fist through internet and through the guy's monitor, I would have!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/bluegrab.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...