inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A New Moderator Idea.

Written By: Gis on 09/27/06 at 6:25 am

I was wondering if it might be an idea to have one of the U.K members as a moderator? For instance I have just watched some idiot post a load of spam, which is now going to sit there due to time differences until one of the mods in America logs on. Just a thought.................

Subject: Re: A New Moderator Idea.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/27/06 at 6:38 am

Or a Kiwi member... (Just kidding... couldn't trust myself with that much responsibility)

I have to agree this might be a good idea. This is actually one of the least moderated boards I've ever been to, so I'm sure 1 extra mod won't hurt.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/27/06 at 10:58 am

There's only one moderator who can handle that stuff right now and it's me. 

So I guess it would be a start to have more than one "global moderator"

It would be cool though if I could find one person in each region.  Outside of the US, the other three most popular countires that visit the site are Australia/New Zealand and England

and maybe someone can explain whether the aussies are the POME's or the english are.  I've heard it was the aussie's because that was what was on the uniforms the early prisoners wore when sent down under.  I've also heard it's the english, because they're the ones still stuck in England.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/06 at 11:11 am

and maybe someone can explain whether the aussies are the POME's or the english are.  I've heard it was the aussie's because that was what was on the uniforms the early prisoners wore when sent down under.  I've also heard it's the english, because they're the ones still stuck in England.

It is an term for what the Australian call the British and the term "pom" thought by many to have originated from the phrase "prisoner of his majesty", which dates back to when Australia was used a prison colony during the 18th Century.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/29/06 at 8:13 am

There's only one moderator who can handle that stuff right now and it's me. 

So I guess it would be a start to have more than one "global moderator"

It would be cool though if I could find one person in each region.  Outside of the US, the other three most popular countires that visit the site are Australia/New Zealand and England

What Philip said Chucky.

It's definitely an (in most cases) affectionate term used by Australians in respect to the English.

Of course when the Ashes series is on soon (series of cricket matches that last for 5 days at a stretch)  :o - that will be even more affectionately lengthened to "Pommie bastards"  ;)

When they beat us (like they did last time) - it's the same term, just without the smile  >:(    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: mandamoo on 09/29/06 at 8:29 am

What Philip said Chucky.

It's definitely an (in most cases) affectionate term used by Australians in respect to the English.

Of course when the Ashes series is on soon (series of cricket matches that last for 5 days at a stretch)  :o - that will be even more affectionately lengthened to "Pommie bastards"  ;)

When they beat us (like they did last time) - it's the same term, just without the smile  >:(    ;D ;D ;D ;D

No the Ashes again ! Weren't they on just last year ?  :o :o :o

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/29/06 at 10:20 am

What Philip said Chucky.

If it weren't for my love of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I'd have never read up about how cricket is played and what everything means.  Now I know what the ashes are... and that a five day match isn't a bunch of two hour games but all day events. It amazes me no end that people can even watch a particular sport for two hours let alone an entire day.

Written By: La Roche on 09/29/06 at 10:24 am

If it weren't for my love of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I'd have never read up about how cricket is played and what everything means.  Now I know what the ashes are... and that a five day match isn't a bunch of two hour games but all day events. It amazes me no end that people can even watch a particular sport for two hours let alone an entire day.

There are more fatalities due to cricket than any other sport.. of course, most of them are people dieing in their armchairs having not moved for 5 days.. but still.

Written By: karen on 09/29/06 at 10:54 am

There are more fatalities due to cricket than any other sport.. of course, most of them are people dieing in their armchairs having not moved for 5 days.. but still.

You heathen!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/06 at 11:48 am

No the Ashes again ! Weren't they on just last year ?   :o :o :o
Last year played in England, this winter to be played away over in Australia.

Written By: La Roche on 09/29/06 at 12:15 pm

You heathen!

".. I'm talking baseball, Don Manningly & Canseco.. baseball."

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/30/06 at 7:51 am

Last year played in England, this winter to be played away over in Australia.

Winter ?  You wish Philip, you will be in the Antipodes, with the hundred degree heat.  >:(  And the bloody drought.  :\'(

I hope you guys are bringing their own water, as we have none to spare any more, I am sorry  :(    ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/30/06 at 7:55 am

If it weren't for my love of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I'd have never read up about how cricket is played and what everything means.  Now I know what the ashes are... and that a five day match isn't a bunch of two hour games but all day events.

Let alone 5 days  ;D  Seriously.  One test cricket match can last 5 days.  The same match.

Traditionally, in an Australian summer, there is always a test cricket match starting on Boxing Day, in Melbourne. 

Capacity of the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) is 100,000 people, and every year it's filled to capacity  :o

It amazes me no end that people can even watch a particular sport for two hours let alone an entire day.

Australia is considering making it part of our citizenship requirements  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/06 at 10:22 am

Winter ?  You wish Philip, you will be in the Antipodes, with the hundred degree heat.  >:(  And the bloody drought.  :\'(

I hope you guys are bringing their own water, as we have none to spare any more, I am sorry  :(    ;)
Winter here, Summer over there. I do wish to be there!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/30/06 at 5:06 pm

Winter here, Summer over there. I do wish to be there!

Philip :

"Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the summer sun"  ;)

Written By: Paul on 10/01/06 at 12:59 pm

Quite possibly the only couple of countries on earth that can use the word 'bastard' as a term of endearment!

(Unless the Kiwis use it as well...)

Speaking of 'The Ashes', there was a story attached to the 'Bodyline' series of 1932/33 (which, for a number of years soured Anglo-Australian relations, such was the controversy...)

During the series, the English captain (Douglas Jardine) was said to have visited the Australian dressing room to complain bitterly to his counterpart (Bill Woodfull) that an Australian player had called him a bastard.

Woodfull turned to his team and said...

'Right! Which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard?'

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/01/06 at 9:05 pm

...there was a story attached to the 'Bodyline' series of 1932/33 (which, for a number of years soured Anglo-Australian relations, such was the controversy...)

(IN best "Major" from Fawlty Towers voice) :  No !   I won't have it !  :o :o

It wasn't a number of years !  We STILL hold that against you bastards !  ;D

That, and Gallipoli, which we really DO hold against you  :P  (But not you personally, Paul)  ;)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/01/06 at 10:17 pm

Methinks Gis would be a good UK moderator and Fuss would be an excellent Aussie moderator ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/06 at 12:50 am

Methinks Gis would be a good UK moderator and Fuss would be an excellent Aussie moderator ;)
But Gis has just gone on holiday!

Written By: Hmmm on 10/02/06 at 7:21 am

But Gis has just gone on holiday!

When she comes back it'll be waiting for her.

Written By: Paul on 10/02/06 at 7:29 am

It wasn't a number of years !  We STILL hold that against you bastards !  ;D

Ah! But I never put a 'number' to my 'number of years'... ;)

That, and Gallipoli, which we really DO hold against you  :P

Yes...to be painfully blunt, one of the most almightiest warfare f**k-ups that was ever dreamt up by British command...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/02/06 at 4:12 pm

This sounds creepy.  You aren't by any chance a recently released convict, are you?

Written By: whistledog on 10/05/06 at 3:35 am

With the recent PM spamming for like all hours into the night, I think a moderator on the flipside of the world would do the boards good. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/05/06 at 7:45 am

With the recent PM spamming for like all hours into the night, I think a moderator on the flipside of the world would do the boards good. 

back when I had a couple global moderators I thought the same thing as well.  unfortunately, I'm the only one who can handle the problems with a PM Spammer because the software doesn't have the ability to modify the database manually

Written By: karen on 10/05/06 at 7:47 am

back when I had a couple global moderators I thought the same thing as well.  unfortunately, I'm the only one who can handle the problems with a PM Spammer because the software doesn't have the ability to modify the database manually

But at least a moderator could put a warning message up about it here so people don't see the offensive message.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/05/06 at 7:56 am

But at least a moderator could put a warning message up about it here so people don't see the offensive message.

Doesn't matter, a bunch of people posted that there was an offensive image in their PM but that doesn't prevent people from seeing it.

Since the last update of the software, there has been a new option that prevents notification emails from containing the text of the message.  I've turned it on, so now, if you get notifications you will have to log in to the site to see what the message was.  I've also set it up to limit the number of personal messages a new member can send (20 instead of unlimited).  Hopefully this will be enough to slow down the person in the future.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/06/06 at 8:00 am

The sentiment is much appreciated Nerdster, but Fuss often doesn't have time to be on here at all anymore, let alone be a moderator  :o :o :o

Life, unfortunately  :-\\

My other consideration is that I have a job where all day long I effectively deal with others' problems and disagreements, I would go stark raving bonkers if I had to deal with it here as well  :o :P :P :P

Congrats to Tam and Bobo (the Lazarus of Mods)  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/06/06 at 8:26 am

The sentiment is much appreciated Nerdster, but Fuss often doesn't have time to be on here at all anymore, let alone be a moderator  :o :o :o

My other consideration is that I have a job where all day long I effectively deal with others' problems and disagreements, I would go stark raving bonkers if I had to deal with it here as well  :o :P :P :P

The Lazarus Mod... I think we found a new nickname

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/06/06 at 7:34 pm

Yes, but in here, you can rule with an iron fist!  ;D

Good luck with that job and sorting out people's problems and stuff :P

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/06/06 at 9:00 pm

Good luck with that job and sorting out people's problems and stuff :P

It's nothing that an AK47 wouldn't fix ...  :(

The only "good luck" I will have in regard to that is if I win the lotto !

Written By: Gis on 10/08/06 at 3:13 am

It's bad enough that my work will have saved a shed load of stuff for me I'd probably have had heartfailure to come back all chilled and relaxed to this as well !  ;D
Thank you for the thought though and good luck to Tam and Bobo. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/08/06 at 3:16 am

It's bad enough that my work will have saved a shed load of stuff for me I'd probably have had heartfailure to come back all chilled and relaxed to this as well !  ;D
Thank you for the thought though and good luck to Tam and Bobo. 
welcome back Gis, and that's a little creepy message to come back to.

Written By: Hmmm on 10/08/06 at 6:48 pm

welcome back Gis, and that's a little creepy message to come back to.

Sorry about the misconception guys, I just meant to say that if Chucky believed her to be worthy, he'd allow her to have the moderator post when she returns, because Gis is cool.  I'm not a stalker or anything, though I have been stalked before :D

Written By: Hmmm on 10/08/06 at 7:13 pm

Then why are you posting as a guest?

Because I'm too lazy to log in.  I'll log in later.

I'm also too lazy to make up a new screen name or talk to myself or whatever it is you Penguins do.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/08/06 at 8:28 pm

Sorry about the misconception guys, I just meant to say that if Chucky believed her to be worthy, he'd allow her to have the moderator post when she returns, because Gis is cool.  I'm not a stalker or anything, though I have been stalked before :D

Becks...is that you? ???

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/08/06 at 8:28 pm

Becks...is that you? ???

WTF is a Becks?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/08/06 at 8:30 pm

WTF is a Becks?

hahaha....it was a former member who only like posted once...and years later...Beth (my sis) and a few others made a "Happy Birthday Becks" thread...and it kinda took off from there. LOL! ;D :D

Written By: Gis on 10/10/06 at 1:22 am

Thank you very much.  :) It's nice to be thought of as cool!  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...