inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Server was too busy a few minutes ago

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/08/06 at 9:27 am

but I think I know why now... and I should be able to fix it tonight when I get home.  I wish I could do it right now, but my company blocks certain ports so I can't do admin stuff while I'm here... ugh.

Subject: Re: Server was too busy a few minutes ago

Written By: karen on 11/08/06 at 9:50 am

Is it related specifically to these boards?  I know that before you've commented on the server not being big enough to cope with the needs of the boards.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/08/06 at 10:02 am

Is it related specifically to these boards?  I know that before you've commented on the server not being big enough to cope with the needs of the boards.

More to do with the limit of how many people can read the site at once.  I increased the memory, but didn't increase the configuration of the software to take advantage of it.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/08/06 at 5:40 pm

More to do with the limit of how many people can read the site at once.  I increased the memory, but didn't increase the configuration of the software to take advantage of it.

I think we may see a boost in performance now.  I made some of the optimizations I read about earlier, and while at first it seemed a little slow, now it seems to be running a lot faster.  I'm going to install some new performance monitoring software and see if I can't further improve things.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/12/06 at 3:43 pm

looks like it's still not working right.  ugh.  I wish I had more free time to move the site.  Going to try tweaking it some more

Written By: Tam on 11/14/06 at 12:11 pm

I got a meeage that the server had too high traffic about 15 minutes ago or so.
It's still faster than myspace though!

And I read you have ordered a new server! Awesome!
Here's some Karamel Sutra (if I haven't given it in the last 24 hours) ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/14/06 at 12:13 pm

I've noticed that the site has been really slow today....it's taken upwards of 3 minutes just for a post to go through.  Hurrah for a new server!! 

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/06 at 12:28 pm

I've noticed that the site has been really slow today....it's taken upwards of 3 minutes just for a post to go through.  Hurrah for a new server!! 

a big thumbs down for the amount of work moving to the new server will entail.  I have to wait until they configure it and set it up.  Then  I have to try moving a little site (my personal site chuckyg.com is the first guinea pig).  Then I figure out where everything is, then I try installing a test board.  If that all goes well, then I move inthe00s by rebuilding the archives on the new site, and then I have to turn off inthe00s while I backup the database, and then install it at the new site.  Then I have to wait for the DNS servers to notice the new location, which means people won't be able to use the new site for up to two days.

ugh.

anyways... I think if all goes well, I can get the server by the end of the week and try the test move.  If I can get things figured out, I'll move the server during the Thanksgiving Day 4 day weekend.  It'll be the least disruptive time until Christmas rolls around, since I assume most people will be busy with the holiday (at least in the US). 

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/06 at 12:30 pm

This morning the boards became suddenly slow around 8:20 (about 10 hours ago) and I did not get a chance to cheerio to the boards.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/06 at 12:31 pm

a big thumbs down for the amount of work moving to the new server will entail.  I have to wait until they configure it and set it up.  Then  I have to try moving a little site (my personal site chuckyg.com is the first guinea pig).  Then I figure out where everything is, then I try installing a test board.  If that all goes well, then I move inthe00s by rebuilding the archives on the new site, and then I have to turn off inthe00s while I backup the database, and then install it at the new site.  Then I have to wait for the DNS servers to notice the new location, which means people won't be able to use the new site for up to two days.

ugh.

anyways... I think if all goes well, I can get the server by the end of the week and try the test move.  If I can get things figured out, I'll move the server during the Thanksgiving Day 4 day weekend.  It'll be the least disruptive time until Christmas rolls around, since I assume most people will be busy with the holiday (at least in the US). 

Do you expect a shutdown of the boards so that the server can be sorted out? If so, I will arrange a holiday then.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/06 at 12:33 pm

This morning the boards became suddenly slow around 8:20 (about 10 hours ago) and I did not get a chance to cheerio to the boards.

The best I can guess, is it might be caused by yahoo hitting the site heavily to index it.  I'm not positive, and I don't want to block them, because hopefully it'll increase the visitors to the boards in the long run.  It is possible they were indexing the site then, robots tend to hit at weird times, and 10 hours ago would have been very early for the US.

I know when it was slow around noon EST, there was 150 connections at the server level and 80 or so guests/visitors combined.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/06 at 12:35 pm

The best I can guess, is it might be caused by yahoo hitting the site heavily to index it.  I'm not positive, and I don't want to block them, because hopefully it'll increase the visitors to the boards in the long run.  It is possible they were indexing the site then, robots tend to hit at weird times, and 10 hours ago would have been very early for the US.
That would be those Spiders?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/06 at 12:36 pm

Do you expect a shutdown of the boards so that the server can be sorted out? If so, I will arrange a holiday then.

yes.  the only way to move the server (it's a totally different machine, from a different provider in a different state) is to change it's DNS, and that can take 48 hours before some people notice the change.

Even moving the database files will probably take a few hours.  What I might do, is once I download a backup, is just put a big message on top of the site that any new messages would be lost... that way people could still talk until the new site comes along to replace it.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/06 at 12:36 pm

That would be those Spiders?

yes

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/06 at 2:22 pm

The boards went again and I have only just attained access.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/14/06 at 2:23 pm

Same here.  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/06 at 2:38 pm

Same here.  :-\\
And again just then.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/06 at 2:53 pm

my fault (again)

I tried the backup routine for the database, and it just dragged the site under

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/06 at 2:59 pm

my fault (again)

I tried the backup routine for the database, and it just dragged the site under
Just then:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the  Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the  Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer 

Written By: whistledog on 11/14/06 at 3:04 pm

on and off all day

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/06 at 3:08 pm

on and off all day
All night long, all night!

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/14/06 at 3:36 pm

yeah, the site is totally whacked out today.  Should have ordered the new server last month, but I didn't think it was going to get this bad.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/14/06 at 8:36 pm

There was a short time when it was slow, but otherwise it's been pretty normal!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/06 at 11:14 pm

I can see the boards going again very soon, I can see the slowness again.

Written By: Tam on 11/17/06 at 12:24 am

I guess they went down a little while ago.
I came in to find no one here at all and whistledog told me through myspace that he still couldn't get in.
Current time - 12:25am CST

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/06 at 12:45 am

I came in to find no one here at all and whistledog told me through myspace that he still couldn't get in.
Seems fine at the moment.

Written By: whistledog on 11/17/06 at 12:50 am

As of right now, I cannot access the boards using IE7, but I Can get here with Firefox, which sucks cause Firefox sucks lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/06 at 12:54 am

As of right now, I cannot access the boards using IE7, but I Can get here with Firefox, which sucks cause Firefox sucks lol
it must be a nation thing for I am using IE.

Written By: Tam on 11/17/06 at 12:58 am

I am using IE7.
Whistle - the thing I noticed with IE7 is that sometimes it will not refresh the page. It keeps the old cache page and thus you think nothing has changed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/06 at 1:00 am

I am using IE7.
Whistle - the thing I noticed with IE7 is that sometimes it will not refresh the page. It keeps the old cache page and thus you think nothing has changed.
I watch the green sleep indictor at the bottom of the window.

Written By: whistledog on 11/17/06 at 1:09 am

I am using IE7.

Not sure what the problem was.  I deleted my cookies, temp files, etc and still could not get in.  I can get in now with IE7 which is good.  I missed the way the text should look.  lol

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/17/06 at 8:01 am

Not sure what the problem was.  I deleted my cookies, temp files, etc and still could not get in.  I can get in now with IE7 which is good.  I missed the way the text should look.  lol

it should look correct in Firefox, since that's what I use to test the site.

Written By: Tam on 11/18/06 at 2:50 am

Just happened again. 2:30 - 2:50am CST

Written By: Red Ant on 11/18/06 at 2:52 am

The last 30 minutes or so the server has been unstable. Random and frequent boots from flash chat (not to mention 1 minute+ lag times on posting comments anywhere), and not being able to access the site at all were observed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/18/06 at 2:54 am

The last 30 minutes or so the server has been unstable. Random and frequent boots from flash chat (not to mention 1 minute+ lag times on posting comments anywhere), and not being able to access the site at all were observed.
Here is a new message for me:

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.inthe00s.com.

*  The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
          moments.

*  If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
          connection.

*  If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
          that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/18/06 at 8:05 am

yeah, it was busy when I just tired logging in as well  >:(

I just changed another server setting.  Let's see if that improves the performance a little. 

Happier news?  I just got my authorization for the new sever.  I'm going to try moving chuckyg.com this weekend and see how it goes.

I may try running a backup of the database at some point this weekend which will knock things for a loop for a couple hours too.. maybe Sunday morning.

Check for new replies or respond here...