inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Profanity - merged topics

Written By: Tam on 11/18/06 at 2:04 am

I just spent over an hour modifying a ridiculous amount of profanity on the boards that was reported to me.

We have censors in place for a reason. Not for individuals to work around in order to show their ignorance.
Using characters in your words or using the character map to make your words show up is in violation of the Terms of Use.
And using said profanity against another member, or using it to the point of understanding is wrong as well.

There are children on these boards who need not be exposed to your vulgarity and lack of good judgement.

If you feel that you are right in working around the censors, please read the rules again - where you will notice you are wrong.
If after reading the rules you still think you are right and continue to work around the censors.... consider this your warning.

Thank you
inthe00's Mods.

Subject: [u]PROFANITY[/u] Response

Written By: danootaandme on 11/18/06 at 6:56 am

The ability to respond to the PROFANITY topic wasn't made available.  I find that a bit disconcerting, taking censorship a bit too far, which makes me question the judgement of the censor.

Subject: Re: [u]PROFANITY[/u] Response

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/18/06 at 7:10 am

The ability to respond to the PROFANITY topic wasn't made available.  I find that a bit disconcerting, taking censorship a bit too far, which makes me question the judgement of the censor.

I read it quite differently, Danoota.  I read it as a Moderator doing what they are there to do : moderate.  The moderator has clearly defined the rules regrding the issue in question, and the reasons why the changes were made.  It seems obvious they took steps to reverse a deliberate attempt to subvert the intention of the auto censor.

I do not see the Moderator's actions as censorship in any way, if that is what you meant by your last statement.

I also don't see the need to have it available for response.  There is no need for members to then enter the thread and endlessly debate the rights and wrongs of the decision.  The decision is made.

At least, that's the way I read what is happening.

Written By: Tia on 11/18/06 at 10:04 am

lol. i think it might be my fault it's locked. i saw that thread and immediately thought of some really funny new ways to misspell profanities and in a momentary lapse of judgment went ahead and posted them on the thread. tam promptly deleted it and locked the thread.

i usually try to bleep out profanities pretty extensively if i want to dance around that -- like, first letter and asterisks for the rest. sticking a period in the middle of the word strikes me as insufficient. that said i'm actually not aware of any "children" who surf this site, there might be but they must not ever post. some under 18 folks but no children. and we all know teenagers are generally more foulmouthed than rugby players.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/18/06 at 10:36 am

lol. i think it might be my fault it's locked. i saw that thread and immediately thought of some really funny new ways to misspell profanities and in a momentary lapse of judgment went ahead and posted them on the thread. tam promptly deleted it and locked the thread.

i usually try to bleep out profanities pretty extensively if i want to dance around that -- like, first letter and asterisks for the rest. sticking a period in the middle of the word strikes me as insufficient. that said i'm actually not aware of any "children" who surf this site, there might be but they must not ever post. some under 18 folks but no children. and we all know teenagers are generally more foulmouthed than rugby players.

Hahahaha... Well, I'm not exactly G-rated, but I don't swear. I don't have a problem saying anything sexual (What? It's a way of life!) But if my mom saw swear words plastered all over this site, I'd be banned from it forever. She's.... REALLY not tolerant when it comes to foul language.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/18/06 at 10:39 am

I missed all this fun last night.  What happened?

Written By: Tia on 11/18/06 at 10:40 am

when i go to the UK i regularly get on the train and hear like girls who couldn't be more than in ninth grade using the most amazingly, almost elegantly over-the-top profane language i've ever heard. the f word is like the 27th letter to them.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/18/06 at 11:07 am

when i go to the UK i regularly get on the train and hear like girls who couldn't be more than in ninth grade using the most amazingly, almost elegantly over-the-top profane language i've ever heard. the f word is like the 27th letter to them.

EDITED FOR DA KIDDIES:

Ohhh, it's like that here. "What the love, you lover!? What's your PONY!ing problem, you BIG BIRD!?"
"LOVE YOU!"
"NO! LOVE YOU!"
"REPRESENT!!!"

Like that.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/18/06 at 11:07 am

I missed all this fun last night.  What happened?

As did I... I have no clue what they're talking about.

Written By: Tam on 11/18/06 at 11:30 am

Like Tia said, I locked the topic because I didn't want it to become a thread of profanity in itself.

When I log in to the boards and find double digit pm's in my inbox from members complaining about the language they are seeing used on the boards - I have to do something about it.

The terms of use states :2) Don't be a jerk
You agree through your use of this forum that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law.

As adults, we should know better and I shouldn't have to start a thread on the topic - but obviously this isn't the case. As for children on the boards.... my son posts here. He is 14 and obviously it is my responsibility to ensure he is safe while on the internet, but does that mean that I shouldn't let him here at all because of a few who insist on using that type of language? I am sure he goes out the door to school and starts cussing like a sailor - I know I did when I was his age - but I will not expose other members and/or their children to it here. There are children that post here. When I joined there was a 9 year old posting quite frequently, he would be 11 now but that is still a child imo.

Chucky used to have extremely sensitive censors but felt that we were mature enough to handle him removing some. Obviously once found out that the censors were lifted - people have been taking advantage of that.

I am not trying to be a Netiquette Nazi - like I said, I have to do something when members start complaining.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/18/06 at 11:34 am

Huh... I noticed that the "f word" with "e" instead of "u" is also censored now. Aw, man, I thought that was safe!

Written By: Tia on 11/18/06 at 2:52 pm

another common trick is to change the format, making it bold or italic etc. that used to beat the censor i dunno if it still does.

Written By: Tia on 11/18/06 at 2:53 pm

Ohhh, it's like that here. "What the f***, you f***er!? What's your f***ing problem, you f***!?"
"F*** YOU!"
"NO! F*** YOU!"
"F***!!!"

Like that.
yes, it's like a form of punctuation.

and of course in this example "F***" stands for "fork."

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/18/06 at 5:26 pm

yes, it's like a form of punctuation.

and of course in this example "F***" stands for "fork."

Actually, it stands for Fake.

Written By: nally on 11/18/06 at 10:54 pm

A few minutes ago, the word "frink" was popping up all over the place... what was up with that?? ??? ::)

It was being autocensored for some perfectly innocent words, such as "few" and "for".

Written By: Tam on 11/18/06 at 11:01 pm

A few minutes ago, the word "frink" was popping up all over the place... what was up with that?? ??? ::)

It was being autocensored for some perfectly innocent words, such as "few" and "for".

Bobo was messing around with the auto-censors. ;D
It has been corrected

Written By: Tia on 11/18/06 at 11:03 pm

frinky!

Written By: Bobo on 11/18/06 at 11:06 pm

My own itchy fingers. Entirely my fault. :D

Subject: Re: Profanity - merged topics

Written By: Red Ant on 11/19/06 at 12:00 am

While profanity *usually* does not bother me, I can see where it would some. If the moderators feel it is necessary to crack down on certain overused curse words, my guess is it's because of the context (and frequency) in which they are used.

This should be a friendly website to all. Saying (or, more accurately, typing ) "sh*t" (sans asterisk), is not offensive to me if used in the context of "Oh sh*t, I'm sorry. I didn't realize what you were saying!" Typing "You are a sh*thead. Please don't procreate. Ever." is uncalled for.

While my example is hypothetical, what the mods here IMHO are trying to do is eliminate the in-fighting which seems to plague certain members. They do not want to be the profanity police, rather they'd prefer you men and women act with a bit of civility, tact, and dignity. While most of us do, there are some here who need to work harder at grasping these concepts.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/19/06 at 1:50 pm

While profanity *usually* does not bother me, I can see where it would some. If the moderators feel it is necessary to crack down on certain overused curse words, my guess is it's because of the context (and frequency) in which they are used.

This should be a friendly website to all. Saying (or, more accurately, typing ) "sh*t" (sans asterisk), is not offensive to me if used in the context of "Oh sh*t, I'm sorry. I didn't realize what you were saying!" Typing "You are a sh*thead. Please don't procreate. Ever." is uncalled for.

While my example is hypothetical, what the mods here IMHO are trying to do is eliminate the in-fighting which seems to plague certain members. They do not want to be the profanity police, rather they'd prefer you men and women act with a bit of civility, tact, and dignity. While most of us do, there are some here who need to work harder at grasping these concepts.

My thoughts exactly. I admit that I have used the "s" word a few times-when it seems to be the right word for the occasion. But I have never used it against someone-i.e. "you are so full of s---" (even though I may have thought it  ;D ;D). And on this board, I have NEVER, NEVER used the "f" word (except for an occasional "WTF". ) To me, when I hear someone using the "f" word A LOT-like every other word out of their mouth, it says to me that this person somewhat ignorant and has a very limited vocabulary if that is only adjective they can think of.

Cat

Written By: Tam on 11/19/06 at 5:23 pm

My thoughts exactly. I admit that I have used the "s" word a few times-when it seems to be the right word for the occasion. But I have never used it against someone-i.e. "you are so full of s---" (even though I may have thought it  ;D ;D). And on this board, I have NEVER, NEVER used the "f" word (except for an occasional "WTF". ) To me, when I hear someone using the "f" word A LOT-like every other word out of their mouth, it says to me that this person somewhat ignorant and has a very limited vocabulary if that is only adjective they can think of.

Cat

Red Ant and Cat - you have summed up what we were trying to say.
We aren't saying "don't ever use it", but we are asking for it to be TONED DOWN.
Some of you may not find it offensive - but you have to remember that other people may.
And do not use it against each other - as Red Ant illustrated.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/19/06 at 6:11 pm

Red Ant and Cat - you have summed up what we were trying to say.
We aren't saying "don't ever use it", but we are asking for it to be TONED DOWN.
Some of you may not find it offensive - but you have to remember that other people may.
And do not use it against each other - as Red Ant illustrated.
That's the right way to handle this, reasonable moderation. This thread made me think of a Bugs Bunny cartoon with Yosemite Sam, a huge user of substitute expletives and how he always managed to curb his cursing/swearing on the childrens show. So Tam & the other Mods, thanks for all your time and efforts and I'll do my best to adhere to the rassin-frassin terms of use. by the way, is there a list I can have of all the completely acceptable ones?  ;D  j/k

Check for new replies or respond here...