inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Topic Idea

Written By: Mushroom on 12/16/06 at 12:30 pm

I have had a thought for a new topic, and since it is getting to be near the end of the year, I thought I would toss it into the ring.

Quite a number of posts are about somebody who has died.  I myself will frequently post a message about somebody famous (or infamous) who has "assumed room temperature".  And often times, this has resulted in either death anouncements being posted in multiple forums at once, or being told they belong somewhere else.

How about a forum where we can discuss the recently deseased?  Right now, the announcements are kind of scattered.  A famous baseball player of the 1970's may be posted in the 1970's area, the 2000's area (because it is a 'recent event"), and yet again in the Sports area.  Having all such posts in one location may help keep them from being so scattered.

And I was also thinking of bringing up an idea for a game that many of my friends have been doing for years.  A lot of people have heard of "The Dead Pool", where you guess 3-5 celebrities who are to die in the upcomming year.  Points are assigned to each person guesstd, based on age, health, and other factors (dangerous lifestyle, dangerous career, etc).  The winner is the one with the highest number of points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_pool

Subject: Re: New Topic Idea

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/16/06 at 7:51 pm

That's a good idea.  The Dead Pool game is kinda morbid though :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/16/06 at 9:20 pm

Well, rather than a whole forum devoted to it, maybe we could just sticky a thread in the 2000s board?

It's kind of odd you bring this up today, I spent a good part of my free time looking through my inbox at all the stuff I've accumulated over the years, and never gotten around to responding or acting on.  Turns out there is a ton of mistakes in the obit sections of the 70s,80s,90s sites. At some point inthe00s is going to end up looking like those other sites, so I'll need a whole obit section, maybe now is a good time to try pulling together those same kind of lists for the day when the 00's become the next nostalgia site.

so.. Mushroom, you're idea, you're honor.  I'd say something like "They'll be missed, obits for 2006" and just start a new one in January when the clock turns over.  Let me know when it's there and I'll sticky it.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/17/06 at 11:49 am

A sticky thread sounds better, then you wouldn't have death staring at you on the main forum page.

Check for new replies or respond here...