inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Upgrading the messageboard software - TODAY, January 17th.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/17/07 at 11:51 am

In a further attempt to make the board unavailable as much as possible this week, I'm going to begin the oft-delayed upgrade of the messageboard software.

The site will be up and down a bit, the arcade will most likely be unavailable for a little while (maybe a day or two!), and some features like medals, buddy lists, etc. will take a little while before they re-appear.

Once this is done, I should be finished with major changes to inthe00s for quite some time.

Subject: Re: Upgrading the messageboard software - TODAY, January 17th.

Written By: Tia on 01/17/07 at 12:00 pm

hmm, i been sorta up in other things. maybe i should just hold off a few more days before i resubmerge myself back in inthe00sland.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/17/07 at 2:02 pm

I'm still working on adding things back into the software.

I believe I will need to redo all the awards unfortunately.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/07 at 2:03 pm

All looks fine at the moment.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/17/07 at 2:10 pm

All looks fine at the moment.

well, things will still break for a short period of time while I test things out.

Right now, the arcade icons will not appear under people's names in their posts.  The mod I was using is not written to use the newer arcade. Not sure what I'll find to replace that.

The "users in flash chat" box is also not working.  So I'm trying to figure that one out.

The front page function (highlighted posts) isn't included yet, though I wrote that, so it should be fixed quickly.

No buddy modification currently

Personal bio is hardcoded, not a mod, so I have to track all that code down. 

So I may end up breaking the board for short periods of time while I hack those out. I figured it was better to put the board back up with a few minor issues like that, than to leave it in maintaince mode while I try and hunt down every little thing. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/07 at 2:20 pm

well, things will still break for a short period of time while I test things out.

Right now, the arcade icons will not appear under people's names in their posts.  The mod I was using is not written to use the newer arcade. Not sure what I'll find to replace that.

The "users in flash chat" box is also not working.  So I'm trying to figure that one out.

The front page function (highlighted posts) isn't included yet, though I wrote that, so it should be fixed quickly.

So I may end up breaking the board for short periods of time while I hack those out. I figured it was better to put the board back up with a few minor issues like that, than to leave it in maintaince mode while I try and hunt down every little thing. 

You may be needing these again?

http://www.inthe00s.com/Themes/babylon/images/construction.gif

Written By: Tia on 01/17/07 at 2:40 pm

so... no smiting, huh? i saw smiting was briefly an option and then it wasn't anymore.

c'mon! let us smite! plleeeeeaaaaazzzzeee? you should let me be the only person with a "smite" button. let everybody smite me! i live for it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/07 at 2:41 pm

Is it a different font used on the boards now?

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/17/07 at 2:47 pm

Is it a different font used on the boards now?

is it?  I hadn't noticed

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/07 at 2:48 pm

is it?  I hadn't noticed

Maybe it is me then?

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/17/07 at 4:26 pm

so... no smiting, huh? i saw smiting was briefly an option and then it wasn't anymore.

c'mon! let us smite! plleeeeeaaaaazzzzeee? you should let me be the only person with a "smite" button. let everybody smite me! i live for it.

smiting will not be allowed.  I don't want to hear from people who think they're being targeted, etc. 

Written By: Tia on 01/17/07 at 4:28 pm

smiting will not be allowed.  I don't want to hear from people who think they're being targeted, etc. 
how about squinting our eyes and pretending to crush faraway people's heads with our thumb and forefinger, while murmuring "i crusha you head! i crusha you head!" to ourselves?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/17/07 at 5:09 pm

Are you going to bring back the options of having 100 threads per page and all that good stuff?  I kinda miss it.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/17/07 at 5:15 pm

Are you going to bring back the options of having 100 threads per page and all that good stuff?  I kinda miss it.

for some reason, it won't work with the current version of the software.  I've sent a request to the author of the mod, if I don't hear back from them in a week or two, maybe I'll just go ahead and see if I can make it work myself

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/17/07 at 5:18 pm

for some reason, it won't work with the current version of the software.  I've sent a request to the author of the mod, if I don't hear back from them in a week or two, maybe I'll just go ahead and see if I can make it work myself

Yay....Chucky the hero. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/07 at 5:46 pm

The extra emoticons?
???

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/17/07 at 5:59 pm

The extra emoticons?
???

forgot about those.  I'll add it to my to do list

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/17/07 at 7:11 pm

forgot about those.  I'll add it to my to do list

they're back....

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/peepwall.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/07 at 11:18 pm

they're back....

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/peepwall.gif

Cool! I like having 'em around.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/sqcold.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/07 at 6:38 am

Is there any more work to be done due?

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/18/07 at 8:48 am

Is there any more work to be done due?

The biography modification appears to be up in the air for the moment.  There were some signifcant changes to the underlying software, and I haven't spent much time yet to figure it out. 

The arcade awards that showed up under people's names in their posts isn't working either.

I think that's it though.  All in all, not a bad move.  If I did things properly, I would have made a copy of the entire site to a new server, made all the changes there, and then tried to move it over here.  At best, I think it would have kept features running a little longer for people (ie. the arcade wouldn't have been unavailable for some people for almost a day).  If this was a messageboard run by some huge company, downtime like that would probably be less acceptable.  However, I think most people were patient enough for me to just hack it together as I went along.

I do know at this point, I've quite had my fill of the whole thing.  I not only upgraded this messageboard, but the other four I run for people.  Two of which have been offline for a month (they aren't very active, and I just didn't have the time).  In the past two weeks, I've moved my four biggest sites, and upgraded the software they run on. 

so yeah, time for a break.  I need a breather.  Maybe code up something more interesting for a change.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/18/07 at 8:49 am

It's back, incase you didn't notice.  The author of the mod had two versions, one for the older software, one for the new.  For some reason the new one didn't show up when I looked for it originally.  Boy, didn't I look foolish looking for it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/07 at 9:05 am

It's back, incase you didn't notice.  The author of the mod had two versions, one for the older software, one for the new.  For some reason the new one didn't show up when I looked for it originally.  Boy, didn't I look foolish looking for it.
I notice for it was taking ages for the images to appear on the certain pages in certain threads.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/18/07 at 9:54 am

I notice for it was taking ages for the images to appear on the certain pages in certain threads.

still?  the server load is very little, I've been checking it periodically... so maybe it's your connection?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/07 at 10:31 am

still?  the server load is very little, I've been checking it periodically... so maybe it's your connection?
I think it is that, waiting for each individual image to appear.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/18/07 at 10:34 am

I think it is that, waiting for each individual image to appear.

give me an example thread... I'm not sure if the images are attachments or stuff people linked to

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/07 at 10:38 am

give me an example thread... I'm not sure if the images are attachments or stuff people linked to
I would be the thread in the Picture Boards, but I notice going back to them that my computer came up wil the images straight away, as if it recall the images from a previous visit, so I think it was me.

Written By: karen on 01/18/07 at 11:12 am

This page takes ages to load for me.  It's all the images ReichStar has linked to

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,13926.75.html

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/07 at 11:18 am

This page takes ages to load for me.  It's all the images ReichStar has linked to

I clicked on here (again) and the last 3 images to a while to finilise.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/18/07 at 11:53 am

kind of what I thought.  It's not my server, it's the one he's linking to.  Not much I can do about that I'm afraid.

Written By: Jessica on 01/18/07 at 5:16 pm

What's up with this?

An Error Has Occurred!
You have exceeded the limit of 20 personal messages per hour. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/18/07 at 5:19 pm

What's up with this?

An Error Has Occurred!

Chucky put a cap on the number of PMs you can send per hour.  That makes me a sad panda. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/18/07 at 5:20 pm

What's up with this?

An Error Has Occurred!

yesh... I never thought that limit would be exceeded by people who WEREN'T SPAMMERS

I'll increase it.

Written By: Jessica on 01/18/07 at 5:25 pm

yesh... I never thought that limit would be exceeded by people who WEREN'T SPAMMERS

I'll increase it.

Thankee! :)

Written By: whistledog on 01/18/07 at 5:47 pm

I see a red x inplace of what should be the flashing new mail notification icon

Also, when I go into the arcade, I see more red x's where images (i guess) should be?

Written By: Tia on 01/19/07 at 2:52 pm

What's up with this?

An Error Has Occurred!

what are you cats gossipping about without me? >:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/19/07 at 2:55 pm

what are you cats gossipping about without me? >:(

Did someone say, "Cats"?

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...