inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The copyright notices are coming out strangely

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 01/19/07 at 1:16 am

On the old server, the HTML for your copyright notice (bottom comment) was & # 169 (no spaces, of course), but on the new one, that results in the "A" symbol attached to the left of the copyright symbol. E.g., the notice in bottom comment at http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/westsidestorybernsteinsondheim4.shtml. Is there a different coding for copyright now?

Subject: Re: The copyright notices are coming out strangely

Written By: Red Ant on 01/19/07 at 6:55 pm

On the old server, the HTML for your copyright notice (bottom comment) was & # 169 (no spaces, of course), but on the new one, that results in the "A" symbol attached to the left of the copyright symbol. E.g., the notice in bottom comment at http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/westsidestorybernsteinsondheim4.shtml. Is there a different coding for copyright now?

I've never used HTML to generate symbols like that, but I imagine that copy/pasting the ones that you use most often onto a Notepad and copy/pasting them back into the parody would eliminate the A^ thingy.

A while back there was a thread pertaining to this, and I don't remember who said it, but entering the "entity" instead of the "number" code for symbols is apparently more stable.

The entity HTML for

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 01/20/07 at 9:02 pm

I've never used HTML to generate symbols like that, but I imagine that copy/pasting the ones that you use most often onto a Notepad and copy/pasting them back into the parody would eliminate the A^ thingy.
That's what I've always done. Will try the entities. Looked at a couple of my songs posted last spring, and they too have some strange symbols now.

PS: You can type HTML code here without it being turned into a symbol: messageboard code is far different than that of AmiRight.
Good to know that HTML can be discussed here without it being automatically interpreted, but crikeys! Another code language?
AIR was the prime motivator to learn a little HTML, as the bio says:

'One of the benefits he has received from participating in AmIRight is his increasing familiarity with HTML, or Human-Turtle Mockery Language, as Turtles generally communicate using just ASCII, or Amphibious Sea Creature Information Implementaion." http://www.amiright.com/parody/authors/tommyturtle.shtml,

Had already gotten a little glimpse of BBC at another site, but Wikipedia has WikiMarkup, etc...  How many different code systems is a pea-brain supposed to learn? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/20/07 at 9:20 pm

That's what I've always done. Will try the entities. Looked at a couple of my songs posted last spring, and they too have some strange symbols now.
Good to know that HTML can be discussed here without it being automatically interpreted, but crikeys! Another code language?
AIR was the prime motivator to learn a little HTML, as the bio says:

'One of the benefits he has received from participating in AmIRight is his increasing familiarity with HTML, or Human-Turtle Mockery Language, as Turtles generally communicate using just ASCII, or Amphibious Sea Creature Information Implementaion." http://www.amiright.com/parody/authors/tommyturtle.shtml,

Had already gotten a little glimpse of BBC at another site, but Wikipedia has WikiMarkup, etc...  How many different code systems is a pea-brain supposed to learn? ???

inthe00s uses something called UBB Code, Ultimate Bulletin Board Code.  UBB is a different messageboard system than what we use here, but all the major packages (vBulletin, SMF, phpBBS) use the same code.  Heck, I don't even think I've seen many UBB sites, the only reason everyone uses the same, is because UBB was probably first and then adopted by the others.

It's very similar to HTML though.  it uses square brackets instead of greater than and less than symbols, and is very stripped down.  The reason it's preferred over letting people embed raw HTML, is that it makes it much harder for spammers and other scum bags to embed virus code into a site.  The can still link to sites with bad stuff, but they can't put the nasty stuff directly on this site.

As for the copyright symbols (and accented characters, etc) not showing up on amIright.  It's definitely related to the site move.  I think it's related to the server's character encoding, I just haven't figured out what the old one was, and how to set it on the new server.  I was going to work on it today (the wife and baby were gone for a good part of the day), but I was a bit worn out from the past week of work involved in moving the site.  So I hung around and began the long tedious process of ripping all of Susan's CDs into mp3.

Written By: Tommy Turtle on 01/21/07 at 11:11 am

The reason it's preferred over letting people embed raw HTML, is that it makes it much harder for spammers and other scum bags to embed virus code into a site.  The can still link to sites with bad stuff, but they can't put the nasty stuff directly on this site.

Makes sense.
As for the copyright symbols (and accented characters, etc) not showing up on amIright.  It's definitely related to the site move.  I think it's related to the server's character encoding, I just haven't figured out what the old one was, and how to set it on the new server.
No problem -- not that big a deal, just wanted to know if different symbol code was needed.

It's very similar to HTML though.  it uses square brackets instead of greater than and less than symbols, and is very stripped down.
Okay, I see that now. Found the Help page with the code guide and bookmarked it. BTW, as mentioned, had brief experience with a site using vBulletin, and your help page code guide looks much more comprehensive and yet easier to understand. Good one.

I'm sure it was a lot of work moving the site. Take a little time off! (Teach Susan to burn her own mp3s? lol)

Check for new replies or respond here...