inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Let me know RIGHT AWAY if something isn't working right

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/19/07 at 6:03 pm

I made some changes to how the software functions, and if it's working right, I want to know as soon as possible, so I can the server offline and fix it.

In particular, I converted the database to what is known as UTF-8, it allows all kinds of international characters to be used.  I even uploaded a Swedish language file, which a certain board member might find useful.  So try posting a few things with accent marks and we'll see if it works right for posting.

Welcome back everyone.  Sorry for the inconvenience... I hope the withdrawal symptoms weren't too bad.

Subject: Re: Let me know RIGHT AWAY if something isn't working right

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/19/07 at 6:12 pm

It's working!  It's ALIIIIIVE!!!

Written By: robby76 on 02/19/07 at 6:34 pm

God bless you in the 00s!!!  :)

Written By: loki 13 on 02/19/07 at 6:50 pm

Thanks Chucky, I can get my fix now. Only thing is, I seem to have lost the spell checker. Misspelling words
irritates me to no end. That little device is my best friend. anyway, it's good to be back. ;D

Written By: Tam on 02/19/07 at 8:11 pm

Hey Chucky!

Every few pages I get the alert bar at the top of IE that says

"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has blocked this website from displaying content with security certificate errors. Click here for more options...."

Just thought I should let you know of that since I had never received it before.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/19/07 at 8:15 pm

Hey Chucky!

Every few pages I get the alert bar at the top of IE that says

"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has blocked this website from displaying content with security certificate errors. Click here for more options...."

Just thought I should let you know of that since I had never received it before.

That scared me for a minute to.

That's RetoRaider's signature line, hosted on a secure server for some bizarre reason.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/19/07 at 8:16 pm

I lost two months of messages on WorcesterTalk.com ... that irritates me to no end, since that site was just starting to get busy.  If it ends up killing what little activity it was beginning to show, I will be so pissed.

I knew I'd end up losing something, on the grand scheme of things, that's not too bad.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/19/07 at 8:17 pm

Thanks Chucky, I can get my fix now. Only thing is, I seem to have lost the spell checker. Misspelling words
irritates me to no end. That little device is my best friend. anyway, it's good to be back. ;D

ugh, that again.  I forgot what I did, but I'll find it again.

meanwhile, Firefox 2.0 has it built in, works on every form of every site. I HIGHLY recommend it over the piece of garbage that is Internet Explorer.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/19/07 at 8:25 pm

so far, so good. I guess we all got a taste of what it's like to be banned for 2 days, what a horrible feeling to be out of touch. thanks for getting us back online ChuckyG, ya done real good.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/19/07 at 8:32 pm

it may be down for a couple minutes at a time right now, the spell checker requires a rebuild of a few things, which knocks the server offline for a few minutes at a time.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/19/07 at 8:36 pm

it's back!  and the server shouldn't need any more resets tonight either... I think I'm done for the evening.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/19/07 at 9:15 pm

Thank you, oh honorable one, for sticking to fixing the server as fast as possible. *Bows*

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/19/07 at 9:59 pm

everything seems to be working just fine! Thanks again for the speedy work! :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/20/07 at 10:07 pm

I even uploaded a Swedish language file, which a certain board member might find useful.
Tack själv mycket.  :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/20/07 at 10:11 pm

Tack själv mycket.  :)

"You're welcome".

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 02/21/07 at 4:51 pm

lët's sëë höw mänÿ ümläüẗs Ï cän üsë.  ;D

lööks ökay tö më.

₤, ñ, ¡¿,

¡¿Yo, quiero Tac Bell?!

Works fine. :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/21/07 at 6:01 pm

üøⁿ°4ümlaut!

Written By: karen on 02/23/07 at 9:45 am

Not sure if this is related to the problems or not.  I keep seeing this message in random places

[quote author=whis

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/23/07 at 10:27 am

Not sure if this is related to the problems or not.  I keep seeing this message in random places

Your guess is as good as mine.  Not sure if there's anything I can do at this point about it, if it was related to the stuff I changed after the hacker came through.

Written By: Henk on 02/23/07 at 2:02 pm

I notice the "All Unread Topics" option doesn't seem to work anymore (at least not for me). Whenever I click it, it only shows the unread posts since last visit.

This has nothing to do with the server being hacked, though. I know it wasn't working (for me) before that too for some time. I know I probably should've reported this sooner... :-\\

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/23/07 at 2:06 pm

I notice the "All Unread Topics" option doesn't seem to work anymore (at least not for me). Whenever I click it, it only shows the unread posts since last visit.

I'm not sure, but I think that's what it is supposed to be.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/23/07 at 2:22 pm

Just thought I'd let you know my BRAIN isn't working right, but I don't suppose there is anything anyone can do about that.  :( ;D

Written By: Henk on 02/23/07 at 3:14 pm

I'm not sure, but I think that's what it is supposed to be.

No, I'm talkin' 'bout the one on the bottom right hand corner that shows up when you've clicked  "Show unread posts since last visit" (top of screen). It used to give me a list of ALL unread topics, but it doesn't anymore. And I'm quite sure I haven't clicked "Mark all topics as read". (But if I have, by accident...can it be undone?)

Written By: spaceace on 02/23/07 at 3:58 pm

Withdrawl symptoms??  So that's what it's called when you mumble things like "my bad" and so and so would find this funny. Gads worst withdrawl I've had in a while.

B.T.W. ChuckyG. where did you dispose of the Hacker's remains?? ::)

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/23/07 at 6:07 pm

That's probably from when Whistledog's name had ascii characters the board didn't read.

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/07 at 7:31 pm

Several of my posts all over the boards got cut off, including some topics I'd made in my music section.  Even some polls I'd done got messed up.  I assume this same thing happened to others

I know Brian's Beyonce topic was affected

Written By: Henk on 03/01/07 at 12:29 am

No, I'm talkin' 'bout the one on the bottom right hand corner that shows up when you've clicked  "Show unread posts since last visit" (top of screen). It used to give me a list of ALL unread topics, but it doesn't anymore. And I'm quite sure I haven't clicked "Mark all topics as read". (But if I have, by accident...can it be undone?)

Still isn't working properly. Have you had a chance to look into this yet, Chucky? (Not to rush you or anything - just asking  ;)).

Written By: Tam on 03/01/07 at 12:42 am

Still isn't working properly. Have you had a chance to look into this yet, Chucky? (Not to rush you or anything - just asking  ;)).

Henk - when I click mine it works like it should.
I think you may have clicked mark all as read, and if so there doesn't appear to be a way to restore it.
I am sure Chucky will look into it for you - but from what I can tell darlin' you might be SOL. :( ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/01/07 at 6:51 am

it's working for everyone but you... not sure what I can do for you.  are you sure there's no setting in your profile for this?

Written By: Henk on 03/01/07 at 3:56 pm

Henk - when I click mine it works like it should.
I think you may have clicked mark all as read, and if so there doesn't appear to be a way to restore it.
I am sure Chucky will look into it for you - but from what I can tell darlin' you might be SOL. :( ;)

That's what I was afraid of at first, but then I started thinking...
Just suppose I have accidentally clicked Mark All As Read...could've happened once. Let's say I have clicked it on February 26. That wouldn't disable the Show All Unread Topics option as a whole. I'd still have to be able to get a list of all messages that were posted since February 26, right? ??? So why do I only get the ones since last visit? :-\\

it's working for everyone but you... not sure what I can do for you.  are you sure there's no setting in your profile for this?

There's no setting in my profile for this, Chucky. Are you sure it's just me? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/01/07 at 4:02 pm

That's what I was afraid of at first, but then I started thinking...
Just suppose I have accidentally clicked Mark All As Read...could've happened once. Let's say I have clicked it on February 26. That wouldn't disable the Show All Unread Topics option as a whole. I'd still have to be able to get a list of all messages that were posted since February 26, right? ??? So why do I only get the ones since last visit? :-\\

There's no setting in my profile for this, Chucky. Are you sure it's just me? ???

pretty sure... it's working ok for me... and I've seen the code for this function before, if it works for me, it should work for everyone.

send me a pm with your login information and I'll see what else I can do.

Written By: Tam on 03/01/07 at 4:06 pm

I just went to mine.
I did new replies to my posts and marked them read
I went to unread posts (6 pages) and clicked all unread and I had 8 pages
So I went back to unread posts and marked them read
Then no longer had the All unread topics.

Maybe it is because Henk's account is still somewhat new?
I dunno what else to do or say from my angle.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/05/07 at 1:52 pm

I think something is screwy. I checked the karma log this morning and everything seemed normal. Then I checked it again and it said that Davy Boy Smith has 65535 karma.  :o :o :o  It wasn't there this morning and even if every single member gave him karma today, it STILL wouldn't reach that amount. It's not that care how many karma he has it's just that it may be a glitch that may need to be checked out.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/05/07 at 2:04 pm

I think something is screwy. I checked the karma log this morning and everything seemed normal. Then I checked it again and it said that Davy Boy Smith has 65535 karma.  :o :o :o  It wasn't there this morning and even if every single member gave him karma today, it STILL wouldn't reach that amount. It's not that care how many karma he has it's just that it may be a glitch that may need to be checked out.

Cat

hehehe.. I did that.  I was goofing around with his profile.  That's the max karma... It should only show one, 'cuz I gave him an almost equal number of smites....

Check for new replies or respond here...