inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Moderator bias

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/07 at 2:09 pm

A post of mine was deleted from the "Iran holds British servicemen" thread.  My post contained no personal attacks or incendiary language--especially compared to the preceding posts on that thread by other members, which were not deleted.  I deleted the others I had posted on that thread. 

I've been a loyal member for more than three years, but I am considering deleting my account.  I feel marginalized enough already for wanting to discuss current events more than pop culture nostalgia.

You don't want me around, just say so.

Subject: Re: Moderator bias

Written By: Brian06 on 03/31/07 at 3:04 pm

It wasn't me, I have no idea.  :-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 03/31/07 at 3:25 pm

A post of mine was deleted from the "Iran holds British servicemen" thread.  My post contained no personal attacks or incendiary language--especially compared to the preceding posts on that thread by other members, which were not deleted.  I deleted the others I had posted on that thread. 

I've been a loyal member for more than three years, but I am considering deleting my account.  I feel marginalized enough already for wanting to discuss current events more than pop culture nostalgia.

Don't let them run you out of here, Max.  I for one would be sorry to see you go.  I have had a post or two deleted for what I considered foolish reasons, and once did consider leaving but stuck around. Cut and run isn't the answer in this case.

Written By: Tia on 03/31/07 at 3:31 pm

it wasn't this guy, was it?

http://i10.tinypic.com/2cwuau0.jpg

i dunno, there was a lot on that thread that was deletion-worthy that got left up so i'd be curious to find out what the motivation was, myself. that entire thread has beoome a complete train wreck.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/31/07 at 3:45 pm

If your post was removed, it was with good reason.

Stop behaving like a child. "so and so said much worse", "*I* did nothing wrong", "I didn't get my way I'm taking my ball and going home", etc.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/07 at 4:39 pm

OK, I'm sorry for making waves.  I should have just kept my mouth shut.
:-X

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/31/07 at 5:09 pm

OK, I'm sorry for making waves.  I should have just kept my mouth shut.
:-X

No, you just shouldn't be doing it in such a childlike manner.  I get grief from people about deleted posts all the time. But to start a topic about your post, and delete all your posts from the thread, and threaten to leave, that's not really making waves.  That's throwing a tantrum.  It's embarrassing.

I don't even know what the post contained, or why it was removed. I stand by the moderators though, and if one of them saw fit to do it, I'm sure they had their reasons.  It's not the first time I've heard this from someone, and it won't be the last time. Trying to remove every offending post on that board is not always practical, the option is either to delete the thread, or try and remove the worst, etc.

Written By: spaceace on 03/31/07 at 5:14 pm

No, you just shouldn't be doing it in such a childlike manner.  I get grief from people about deleted posts all the time. But to start a topic about your post, and delete all your posts from the thread, and threaten to leave, that's not really making waves.  That's throwing a tantrum.  It's embarrassing.

I don't even know what the post contained, or why it was removed. I stand by the moderators though, and if one of them saw fit to do it, I'm sure they had their reasons.  It's not the first time I've heard this from someone, and it won't be the last time. Trying to remove every offending post on that board is not always practical, the option is either to delete the thread, or try and remove the worst, etc.

Brian said he didn't do it.  So WHO else could have done it?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/31/07 at 5:17 pm

Brian said he didn't do it.  So WHO else could have done it?

Just because Brian is the mod of the Politics board doesn't mean the other mods couldn't have done it.

Written By: Tia on 03/31/07 at 5:19 pm

i dunno, this berating of max seems pretty strong to me. unless he's constantly been complaining about having his threads deleted then he's voicing his grievance in the best way he knows how, yeah? maybe he didn't feel comfortable PMing a moderator.

none of us would be able to tell someone "quit being such a child" without getting some serious pushback. i'd say for any of us that would rate as a "personal attack." right? i understand the mods run the board but it wouldn't be much of a board without the regulars. max has been on this board for years, you know?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/07 at 5:22 pm

It's possible I jumped to conclusions.  Maybe no moderator removed it.  Could have been a technical glitch on my end and the post never registered.  Either way, I over-reacted.  Sorry about that.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/31/07 at 6:03 pm

It's possible I jumped to conclusions.  Maybe no moderator removed it.  Could have been a technical glitch on my end and the post never registered.  Either way, I over-reacted.  Sorry about that.

it's ok. 

I haven't even checked to see who, if anyone, removed it.

There's no policy against asking me in a private message why something has been removed.  I probably don't even know half the time, but I've never had a case where an admin or moderator hasn't come back to me with a reason why something was removed.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/31/07 at 10:02 pm

It's possible I jumped to conclusions.  Maybe no moderator removed it.  Could have been a technical glitch on my end and the post never registered.  Either way, I over-reacted.  Sorry about that.

Only 6 people could have removed that post: Any of the LMs, ChuckyG, Brian or you. I checked the moderation log, and the answer is none of us removed it. It apparently was never posted, because any edits, deletions, anything the mods do to someone else's post is recorded (even if that post is deleted by a member after the edit) - no record exists of modding your post.

Stick around Max. I've read many of your posts and like them. Even though you are very opinionated on some things (aren't we all?  ;)), you usually keep that directed at the politicians and not the board members, which is a good thing.  :)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/01/07 at 5:38 am

Only 6 people could have removed that post: Any of the LMs, ChuckyG, Brian or you. I checked the moderation log, and the answer is none of us removed it. It apparently was never posted, because any edits, deletions, anything the mods do to someone else's post is recorded (even if that post is deleted by a member after the edit) - no record exists of modding your post.

Stick around Max. I've read many of your posts and like them. Even though you are very opinionated on some things (aren't we all?  ;)), you usually keep that directed at the politicians and not the board members, which is a good thing.   :)

He already apologized.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/04/07 at 4:30 pm

He already apologized.

Yes, but I'm glad Ant told me.  I was experiencing a lot of glitches in my router connection last week.  I was also feeling despondant, so that's why I did what I did.
::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/04/07 at 5:31 pm

Yes, but I'm glad Ant told me.  I was experiencing a lot of glitches in my router connection last week.  I was also feeling despondant, so that's why I did what I did.
::)

don't worry about it man... we all have those weeks.  I've been having one of those weeks for the past four months with all the server issues I've been dealing with. 

Check for new replies or respond here...