inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: amIright performance

Written By: meow78223 on 04/04/07 at 3:03 pm

Chucky,

In the last few days it's taken a lot longer for individual parodies to load and sometimes they don't load at all. Usually it is necessary to hit the reload button at least once. I think what is happening is all the bandwidth is taken up to load the banner ad at the top leaving nothing to load the parody.

MM

Subject: Re: Let me know RIGHT AWAY if something isn't working right

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/04/07 at 3:15 pm

Chucky,

In the last few days it's taken a lot longer for individual parodies to load and sometimes they don't load at all. Usually it is necessary to hit the reload button at least once. I think what is happening is all the bandwidth is taken up to load the banner ad at the top leaving nothing to load the parody.

MM

It might not be the ads. It could be the new code for the comment system.  I have to load a handful of scripts to run the pop up effect for the report links.  The ads came around the same time, so that may be why you would make the connection.

I might need to rethink the use of the code for something that isn't used much (report links only get clicked a few times a day).  I also think I'm including an extra one in there that might be causing some issues.

I have a highspeed connection, and usually use Firefox, so if there's a speed issue it's not immediately apparent to me.

If you're willing to test it, I modified one of my parodies:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/parody.shtml

try that one, and then try:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/parpi.shtml

if the first one is faster by a noticeable margin, then it's the scripts I'm loading for the report link.

due to browser caching, make sure you visit the first link first.  It is possible that your browser already has the scripts cached from a previous visit, so you might not notice a big improvement in speed.

Subject: Re: amIright performance

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/05/07 at 6:50 pm

the server was timing out under high loads today... I think from the little bit of testing I did my assumption about the causes were correct.  The fancy pop up effect on the report link was generating too much load on the server, and was probably also causing a longer load time for people browsing the site on a slow connection.  So I've rewitten it.  I'm also in the process of redesigning the inthe80s toys section, which used the same scripts. 

They're nice scripts, well written and everything, but they're awfully large to be used on a busy site.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/05/07 at 7:34 pm

looks like there was a bug with Internet Explorer and that set of scripts.  I have all kinds of garbage in my server logs from it, thousands of bad requests.  way to go Microsoft!

Written By: wildcard on 04/05/07 at 9:23 pm

Theres been times today I couldn't go anywhere because of Internet Explorer >:( Thanks for fixing the pop up :)

Written By: meow on 04/16/07 at 6:32 pm

It's been working normally the last few days. Maybe the problem got resolved.

MM

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/16/07 at 7:02 pm

It's been working normally the last few days. Maybe the problem got resolved.

MM

it should be, I removed the code back on the fifth, and I've also streamlined the voting code, and made smaller captcha "security images", and had the server tuned up, which all combined should improve the speed a lot.

Check for new replies or respond here...