inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Planned system maintenance - Purge inactive accounts

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/20/07 at 8:55 am

Up until now, we have only deleted accounts that were never activated.  The policy is going to change to also include accounts that have been inactive for 18 months.  This will help save some server space, make user searches quicker, and help out with security.

Subject: Re: Planned system maintenance - Purge inactive accounts

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/20/07 at 9:57 am

Ah, yes. I've been waiting for this system!

Written By: nally on 08/20/07 at 5:25 pm

This'll be great. There are plenty of such accounts.

In fact, there's a user named Goreripper who registered on the day that this system was restored (April 21, 2004) and has never even logged in. :o

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/20/07 at 5:46 pm

In fact, there's a user named Goreripper who registered on the day that this system was restored (April 21, 2004) and has never even logged in. :o

used to be a regular too... guess he wasn't happy about re-registering

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/20/07 at 5:48 pm

Is that not the same as the user Powerslave?  I could've sworn he used to be known as Goreripper...and his email addy looks like he's from Australia, just like Powerslave... ???

Written By: nally on 08/20/07 at 5:53 pm

Is that not the same as the user Powerslave?  I could've sworn he used to be known as Goreripper...and his email addy looks like he's from Australia, just like Powerslave... ???

Maybe he'd forgotten that he'd registered the "Goreripper" account, and then registered a second account as "Powerslave." Or maybe he'd forgotten the password for the GR account. Anything's possible... :-\\

Written By: Red Ant on 08/20/07 at 8:04 pm

Note to all: this purge consists of nearly 3,000 members. Anyone who wants a particular account saved for a very valid reason (i.e., you are getting that member to come back), let me know via PM and I'll do so.

Contact information for members who are being purged (and that you want/need to contact) should be gathered up and saved in the next week or so. The sooner the better.

This purge applies to all accounts not accessed even once since 1/1/2006 - so it's closer to 20 months inactive.

Ant

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/20/07 at 8:46 pm

If you haven't posted since January 2006, chances are you aren't going to come back. And being 20 months since then, I think most would have forgotten their password so starting up a new account would have been the only answer.

Good move.

Although, Becks came back after nearly 2 years of inactivity.  ::)

Written By: nally on 08/21/07 at 2:04 pm

Although, Becks came back after nearly 2 years of inactivity.  ::)

I think that was Chucky hacking into Becks account as an April Fools joke. ;D ;D

Written By: nally on 08/24/07 at 3:57 pm

Note to all: this purge consists of nearly 3,000 members. Anyone who wants a particular account saved for a very valid reason (i.e., you are getting that member to come back), let me know via PM and I'll do so.

Contact information for members who are being purged (and that you want/need to contact) should be gathered up and saved in the next week or so. The sooner the better.

This purge applies to all accounts not accessed even once since 1/1/2006 - so it's closer to 20 months inactive.

Ant

So...when do said accounts get purged?

Written By: Red Ant on 08/24/07 at 8:54 pm

So...when do said accounts get purged?

I'll probably do it Monday or Tuesday of this coming week.

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 08/24/07 at 10:45 pm

I just thought of something that worried me for a second.  ktelqueen hasn't been around in a long time.  I hope her name isn't on the list of accounts to be purged?  I am still hoping for the day when she comes back

Written By: Tam on 08/24/07 at 10:50 pm

I just thought of something that worried me for a second.  ktelqueen hasn't been around in a long time.  I hope her name isn't on the list of accounts to be purged?  I am still hoping for the day when she comes back

She is safe Jas!
She only hasn't been around since January so no need to worry about that. Plus, I would make a point NOT TO aloow Red Ant to delete her account!!! ;)

Written By: Red Ant on 08/24/07 at 11:17 pm

Maria has been around since 1-1-06. Even if she hadn't been, I would not delete one of the 9 "opus" members.

She is safe Jas!
She only hasn't been around since January so no need to worry about that. Plus, I would make a point NOT TO aloow Red Ant to delete her account!!! ;)

"aloow"? Must...work...that...Canadian...out...of...you!  ;) ;D

(point taken  :D)

Ant

Written By: Tam on 08/25/07 at 12:17 am

Maria has been around since 1-1-06. Even if she hadn't been, I would not delete one of the 9 "opus" members.

"aloow"? Must...work...that...Canadian...out...of...you!   ;) ;D

(point taken  :D)

Ant

Bite me!!! ;D ;D

Written By: whistledog on 08/25/07 at 2:24 am

Bite me!!! ;D ;D

You made a typo.  There's no doot aboot it, eh?

Written By: Tam on 08/25/07 at 1:11 pm

You made a typo.  There's no doot aboot it, eh?

And you can do the same thing! ;D ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 08/25/07 at 11:48 pm

The inactive account purge is complete. A total of 2,998 accounts were deleted, 70% of which had 2 or fewer posts. A good thousand of those accounts had been inactive for longer than three years. Quite a few spammer email addys were spotted in never activated accounts: those, too, were deleted, regardless of age.

Note: none of these former members were banned (unless previously banned and not deleted). If they wish, they may come back at any time.

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 08/26/07 at 12:23 am

Total Members: 3150

You can definately notice the difference :o

Written By: KKay on 08/26/07 at 7:28 am

I had two friends join, but they never stuck it out.
I guess they were just not into the culture as much.
oh well.
i'll let them know that they can come back if they want.

Written By: Tam on 08/27/07 at 5:48 pm

Curious - was Davester one of the deleted ones?

Nevermind - I was looking at really old posts!

Written By: nally on 08/27/07 at 5:53 pm

Curious - was Davester one of the deleted ones?

Nevermind - I was looking at really old posts!

yeah, he deleted his original account an re-registered with a new one. As did a few other members.

By the way, I recently clicked on the memberlist, and sorted them by "date registered"... and at least two of the early accounts which were last active in '05 still remain. "SmithsGirl" and "Doritos" are among them.

Written By: Red Ant on 08/27/07 at 6:04 pm

yeah, he deleted his original account an re-registered with a new one. As did a few other members.

By the way, I recently clicked on the memberlist, and sorted them by "date registered"... and at least two of the early accounts which were last active in '05 still remain. "SmithsGirl" and "Doritos" are among them.

Accounts with more than 100 posts were not purged, only because there were so few of them and setting a limit also limited any chance of me wiping out the wrong members.

Ant

Written By: nally on 08/27/07 at 6:07 pm

Accounts with more than 100 posts were not purged, only because there were so few of them and setting a limit also limited any chance of me wiping out the wrong members.

Ant

Oh....okay. :) I didn't know there was another criterion.

Thanks again for all you've done.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/07 at 5:17 am

Did this purge include those new members who only signed up to play in the Arcade and never posted any messages?

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/28/07 at 8:07 am

Did this purge include those new members who only signed up to play in the Arcade and never posted any messages?

no, it was based on login date and not the date of their last post.  Plus I don't think the arcade was installed that long ago

Written By: Marian on 09/04/07 at 2:41 pm

That name sounds familiar.are you sure he never posted?

Written By: nally on 09/04/07 at 2:43 pm

That name sounds familiar.are you sure he never posted?

Yes I'm positive he never posted. (On the new board, that is.) I think he only posted on the old system (prior to mid-April of 2004).

Written By: nally on 09/04/07 at 2:44 pm

no, it was based on login date and not the date of their last post.  Plus I don't think the arcade was installed that long ago

Arcade was installed in January of '06.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/07 at 1:55 pm

Just saw:

Temporarily Unavailable
Due to high stress on the server the forum is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/07/07 at 3:02 pm

I was thinking we should extend the purge to remove anyone with no posts and an account older than 6 months... which should take care of a bunch of spammers that signed up during the brief periods when the captcha codes weren't working properly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/07 at 3:03 pm

I was thinking we should extend the purge to remove anyone with no posts and an account older than 6 months... which should take care of a bunch of spammers that signed up during the brief periods when the captcha codes weren't working properly.
In doing so, it will give us a higher ratio on Big Boards?

Written By: Red Ant on 09/07/07 at 3:09 pm

1 or fewer posts and inactive for 6 months is another ~1530 members (51 pages). I don't see any reason to keep accounts for those who have posted once or never and not accessed the account in six months.

Ant

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/07 at 3:10 pm

1 or fewer posts and inactive for 6 months is another ~1530 members (51 pages). I don't see any reason to keep accounts for those who have posted once or never and not accessed the account in six months.

Ant
Retaining those loyal to this board.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/07/07 at 3:14 pm

In doing so, it will give us a higher ratio on Big Boards?

Total post count would not change, so we'd still be where we are now.

Post count average per member would again almost double (~3100 members down to roughly 1500).

Not so much loyal but active.

I was a mod on badave's older messageboard for a while. There were roughly 70 "members" at the time, but only 4 had posted anything on the site other than spam or nothing. Getting rid of abandoned and unused one and zero post accounts would increase site security as well as make it run a tad faster.

Ant

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/07/07 at 3:18 pm

loyal isn't the word I would use.  just getting rid of accounts for people who never used the site. 

the last time we had that PM spammer (a year or two ago) I got lots of emails from people who forgot they even had accounts, and wanted them deleted because they had no use for it.  signed up to ask a question, or because a friend asked them to, etc. 

one of the reasons why I don't even require an account to post anymore, it seems pointless to make someone signup just to ask a question. The real advantage to having an account is being able to display an avatar or play games.

Written By: nally on 09/07/07 at 5:13 pm

Ant

Yeah, because those people have probably forgotten about the site.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/07/07 at 9:18 pm

The second purge is done. I didn't take down exact numbers, but it was roughly 1550 members this time.

All accounts not accessed in at least 6 months with 1 post or less were deleted. Chucky was right: probably a third of these accounts were spammers.

The only name I recognized was joeypotwewe, who took the Birdy champion from me over a year ago (and hadn't been on since that time).

Ant

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/08/07 at 12:50 am

The second purge is done. I didn't take down exact numbers, but it was roughly 1550 members this time.

All accounts not accessed in at least 6 months with 1 post or less were deleted. Chucky was right: probably a third of these accounts were spammers.

The only name I recognized was joeypotwewe, who took the Birdy champion from me over a year ago (and hadn't been on since that time).

Ant
As predicted after the purge on the deletion of members that have not posted a single post, we have surged up to page 2 on #24 of the Big Boards Post Ratio

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/08/07 at 8:01 am

Hi ChuckyG/ Red Ant.

Whilst I applaud the recent membership purge ... noting that you have culled members who have not posted at least once in the past 6 months .... it seems, after taking just a quick look on the very first page of the memberlist ... that there is still much MUCH  room for improvement / that some (a bunch!) of dormant accounts have inexplicably escaped the purge.

I note we have 1635 members currently (still seems way too high from the activity I've seen over the last year or so  ...) approx 55 pages worth ... as 'Red Ant' has reported would be the case.

Now .. let's take a look ...  8)  (Apologies for the column alignments or lack thereof ... but I've wasted ages trying to sort this out. Reckon you can figure it from here...).

Page 1.:

Username.............                            Date Registered.........                                              Posts...........                                                        Last Active

10incher                                                      2005-09-01                                                                2                                          October 18, 2006, 09:51:10 PM

1983_new_born                                          2005-03-12                                                                7                                                  June 19, 2006, 10:20:38 PM

2sweetnu                                                    2005-09-01                                                                2                                              January 09, 2007, 01:25:03 PM
                                                                                                                                                            (i.e., 2 posts on the day they registered ... none in the last 8 months!).

505Panther                                                  2006-02-19                                                                2                                                   February 26, 2006, 12:06:07 PM

60schild                                                   2006-05-28                                                                    5                                Last active:    May 28, 2006, 04:45:15 PM

67vertman                                                  2005-07-04                                                                  3                                                  June 06,  2006, 08:19:54 PM

80s fan                                                      2006-07-27                                                                  3                                                  November 13, 2006, 06:06:31 PM

80s girl                                                              2006-07-05                                                                    3                                       Last Active:  July 05, 2006, 01:08:07 PM

80sGurl                                                            2005-01-25                                                                   0                                        July 13, 2007, 12:23:55 AM                                                                                                                                                                                                      admittedly, 'active' in past 6 months ... if 'active' means ZERO posts since joining (over a year ago!) .... and 0 votes cast!  :o ;D

80sLADY                                                    2005-12-23                                                                     6                                                          January 21, 2006, 08:06:02 PM

80sRefugee                                                      2006-10-17                                                                    2                                                 June11,2007,10:49:17 AM

(2posts ..yet if you click on those 'posts' 'Sorry, no matches were found' ... and general stats show this person .... 54 minutes online, 0 votes cast, 'No posts to speak of!'

So ... that was page 1.  :o :( :P

In my book ... around 11 'members' of the 30 listed on that page ... that should not be there! ...  :o :P

With further culling/refinement ... we can lose very few posts (which our postwhores won't miss/can easily make up ...) and be on page 1 very quickly of 'big boards' ... by 'post ratio' ... I predict!  :)

It seems to me the obvious candidates for trimming are anyone with less than 10 posts. You then see when they were last active. More than 6 months? Gone! No posts ever .... been around over 6 months ... no votes cast ...nothing? Gone!

Just go to any of the 55 remaining pages .... cast your eyes down ... there are plenty of very obvious candidates! Our membership will probably soon be around 1000 (at a very very rough calc... going on 1 in 3 aren't really members).

1635 divided by 3 ... that's about 545 members less. If that were the case ... we divide (let's say) 1676467 posts by  1090 members ... are new post ratio becomes ...(Ta-dah!) 1538 ... which would put us firmly on page #1 at spot no.12 !  8) 8) 8)

A few hypotheticals:

Number of members    Current No. of posts ... 1, 676,467      Current Post Ratio      New Post Ratio                      New Big Boards Postion (Post Ratio)

1635 (Current)                                                                          1025              1025 (No change)                                                    #24 (no change)
1435                                                                                                            1168                                                                        #19
1235                                                                                                            1357                                                                        #15
1035                                                                                                            1619                                                                        #11
835                                                                                                              2007                                                                          #6 

I don't think there is the slightest doubt now ... that with the 'members' who can be further jettisoned with little or no loss  ...

we can and SHOULD be on page 1 !!!

:)

P.S. To take the above as typical .. we would lose 35 posts per 11 members deleted ...

So, lose 545 members ...  545 divided by 11 .. is roughly 50.  So, 50 times 35 ... around 1750 to 2000 posts we could expect to lose as trade-off!

If we lost that right now .... we'd drop from #866 to # 866

What?!  ??? :o ???

That's right ... no change  8) ... since for the last postings by Phillip in 'Big boards' we're sliiping thread .... we had a lead of 3036 on #867.

I think the decision to make is obvious!

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/08/07 at 11:30 am

Some additional info re  the above 'member's ...

Total time spent online by:        Since:                    Voted

10incher  4 minutes             September 01, 2005        No
1983_new_born 2hours 29mins      March 12, 2005          Twice
2sweetnu    17 minutes        January 09, 2007            No
505 panther  31 minutes  February 19, 2006          No
60schild 1hour 50 minutes  May 28, 2006                No
67vertman 2 hours 25 minutes  July 04, 2005              No
80s fan 1 hour 28 minutes      July 27, 2006                No
80s girl 17 minutes        August 25, 2004                    No
80sGurl 8 minutes               January 25, 2005                No
80sLady 2 hours 49 minutes    December 23, 2005          6 times
80sRefugee  54 minutes         October 17, 2006          No

Those are ... (uhm) ... pretty impressive figures!  :P ;) :D

Written By: Tam on 09/08/07 at 12:19 pm

just a side note: when the members are deleted - their posts are not ;)

Written By: Marian on 09/08/07 at 2:14 pm

Just saw:

Temporarily Unavailable
Due to high stress on the server the forum is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
I hate that! :P

Written By: Tam on 09/08/07 at 5:11 pm

Hi ChuckyG/ Red Ant.

Whilst I applaud the recent membership purge ... noting that you have culled members who have not posted at least once in the past 6 months .... it seems, after taking just a quick look on the very first page of the memberlist ... that there is still much MUCH  room for improvement / that some (a bunch!) of dormant accounts have inexplicably escaped the purge.

I note we have 1635 members currently (still seems way too high from the activity I've seen over the last year or so  ...) approx 55 pages worth ... as 'Red Ant' has reported would be the case.

Now .. let's take a look ...   8)  (Apologies for the column alignments or lack thereof ... but I've wasted ages trying to sort this out. Reckon you can figure it from here...).

Page 1.:

Username.............                            Date Registered.........                                              Posts...........                                                        Last Active

10incher                                                      2005-09-01                                                                2                                          October 18, 2006, 09:51:10 PM

1983_new_born                                          2005-03-12                                                                7                                                  June 19, 2006, 10:20:38 PM

2sweetnu                                                     2005-09-01                                                                 2                                              January 09, 2007, 01:25:03 PM
                                                                                                                                                            (i.e., 2 posts on the day they registered ... none in the last 8 months!).

505Panther                                                   2006-02-19                                                                2                                                    February 26, 2006, 12:06:07 PM

60schild                                                   2006-05-28                                                                    5                                Last active:     May 28, 2006, 04:45:15 PM

67vertman                                                  2005-07-04                                                                   3                                                  June 06,  2006, 08:19:54 PM

80s fan                                                        2006-07-27                                                                   3                                                   November 13, 2006, 06:06:31 PM

80s girl                                                              2006-07-05                                                                    3                                       Last Active:  July 05, 2006, 01:08:07 PM

80sGurl                                                            2005-01-25                                                                   0                                        July 13, 2007, 12:23:55 AM                                                                                                                                                                                                       admittedly, 'active' in past 6 months ... if 'active' means ZERO posts since joining (over a year ago!) .... and 0 votes cast!  :o ;D

80sLADY                                                      2005-12-23                                                                      6                                                           January 21, 2006, 08:06:02 PM

80sRefugee                                                      2006-10-17                                                                     2                                                  June11,2007,10:49:17 AM

(2posts ..yet if you click on those 'posts' 'Sorry, no matches were found' ... and general stats show this person .... 54 minutes online, 0 votes cast, 'No posts to speak of!'

So ... that was page 1.  :o :( :P

In my book ... around 11 'members' of the 30 listed on that page ... that should not be there! ...  :o :P

With further culling/refinement ... we can lose very few posts (which our postwhores won't miss/can easily make up ...) and be on page 1 very quickly of 'big boards' ... by 'post ratio' ... I predict!   :)

It seems to me the obvious candidates for trimming are anyone with less than 10 posts. You then see when they were last active. More than 6 months? Gone! No posts ever .... been around over 6 months ... no votes cast ...nothing? Gone!

Just go to any of the 55 remaining pages .... cast your eyes down ... there are plenty of very obvious candidates! Our membership will probably soon be around 1000 (at a very very rough calc... going on 1 in 3 aren't really members).

1635 divided by 3 ... that's about 545 members less. If that were the case ... we divide (let's say) 1676467 posts by  1090 members ... are new post ratio becomes ...(Ta-dah!) 1538 ... which would put us firmly on page #1 at spot no.12 !  8) 8) 8)

A few hypotheticals:

Number of members    Current No. of posts ... 1, 676,467      Current Post Ratio      New Post Ratio                       New Big Boards Postion (Post Ratio)

1635 (Current)                                                                          1025              1025 (No change)                                                     #24 (no change)
1435                                                                                                             1168                                                                        #19
1235                                                                                                             1357                                                                        #15
1035                                                                                                             1619                                                                         #11
835                                                                                                              2007                                                                          #6   

I don't think there is the slightest doubt now ... that with the 'members' who can be further jettisoned with little or no loss   ...

we can and SHOULD be on page 1 !!!

P.S. To take the above as typical .. we would lose 35 posts per 11 members deleted ...

So, lose 545 members ...  545 divided by 11 .. is roughly 50.  So, 50 times 35 ... around 1750 to 2000 posts we could expect to lose as trade-off!

If we lost that right now .... we'd drop from #866 to # 866

What?!  ??? :o ???

That's right ... no change  8) ... since for the last postings by Phillip in 'Big boards' we're sliiping thread .... we had a lead of 3036 on #867.

I think the decision to make is obvious!

Wow. Now the one thing you have to realize is that admin see a lot more information than what regular members can see. The purge was done as it should have been to include all of the variants that ChuckyG outlined. Of course there is the outside chance that a few may have been missed - in which case I am sure they will be taken care of.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/08/07 at 6:03 pm

Wow. Now the one thing you have to realize is that admin see a lot more information than what regular members can see. The purge was done as it should have been to include all of the variants that ChuckyG outlined. Of course there is the outside chance that a few may have been missed - in which case I am sure they will be taken care of.

Thanks Tam; well said.

I've cut roughly 75% of the members out of the boards. Those purges were for what this thread is titled: planned system maintenance. Any effects on our Big Board status are a side effect; they are not the reason we are doing these purges.

... that some (a bunch!) of dormant accounts have inexplicably escaped the purge.

What's inexplicable about it? The first purge was to removed all accounts under 100 posts that had not been used in 20 months. The second was to remove 1 and 0 post accounts not used in six months.

Sure, there are lots of two, three, four post accounts not accessed in the same time frame - roughly 350 of them. If Chucky wants to get rid of those accounts, we'll do it.

Ant

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/08/07 at 7:49 pm

Thanks Tam; well said.

I've cut roughly 75% of the members out of the boards. Those purges were for what this thread is titled: planned system maintenance. Any effects on our Big Board status are a side effect; they are not the reason we are doing these purges.

What's inexplicable about it? The first purge was to removed all accounts under 100 posts that had not been used in 20 months. The second was to remove 1 and 0 post accounts not used in six months.

Sure, there are lots of two, three, four post accounts not accessed in the same time frame - roughly 350 of them. If Chucky wants to get rid of those accounts, we'll do it.

Ant

I think we've cut enough disused accounts for now.  We're not doing this for big-boards status, heck I doubt outside of a few members here, anyone even pays attention to that site.  They never update or work on it really.

Let's leave it be for a few weeks anyways.

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/07 at 8:14 pm

Have you ever considered deleting ancient topics that got zero replies?  Often at times when I am looking for a thread, I see tons of ones from like 2004 with no replies

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/08/07 at 9:47 pm

'No worries' .. I think I'll side-step getting into any arguments here / addressing any individual feedback. For me ... the figures/data I presented speak for themselves ... and the way I see it we have virtually nothing to lose ...

Well, I guess ultimately it's all a bit of a 'big deal' about nothing ... so, sorry if anyones upset here.  :(  Perhaps I could've presented my 'argument' more diplomatically ... (one of my faults ?).  :-http://forum.pc-freakz.com/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gifhttp://forum.pc-freakz.com/style_emoticons/default/unworthy.gif .. I don't want it!  :D ). I just thought all this was worth debating. Seems I've succeeded!  ;D

Written By: Tam on 09/08/07 at 10:15 pm

Have you ever considered deleting ancient topics that got zero replies?  Often at times when I am looking for a thread, I see tons of ones from like 2004 with no replies

Good point Jason.

Here is something that I have been working on for over 2 weeks now.

I have been moving topics from the 2000's to their respective boards. While doing so, if I come across threads that have zero posts by non-members, then I delete those. I have also been deleting a ton of threads that were titled: MOVED: you know the ones I am talking about. I haven't deleted any zero post threads by members, because some members like their post counts. I started out with over 200 pages in the 2000's, now I believe I have them down to around 195 or so, not quite sure and really don't care right now to go check and see if I have the numbers right. ;D

But once I finish with the 2000's, I will go to the 90s and 70s etc.... and do the same thing. It is tedious and monotonous work - but I really don't mind! ;)

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/07 at 10:26 pm

Good point Jason.

I have been moving topics from the 2000's to their respective boards. While doing so, if I come across threads that have zero posts by non-members, then I delete those. I have also been deleting a ton of threads that were titled: MOVED: you know the ones I am talking about. I haven't deleted any zero post threads by members, because some members like their post counts. I started out with over 200 pages in the 2000's, now I believe I have them down to around 195 or so, not quite sure and really don't care right now to go check and see if I have the numbers right. ;D

But once I finish with the 2000's, I will go to the 90s and 70s etc.... and do the same thing. It is tedious and monotonous work - but I really don't mind! ;)

I did that with a few topics in the 80s board.  I figure if it's a post from a guest with no replies, it's not really needed anymore.  Not like that guest is gonna come back and say "Hey, I started a topic 2 years ago and it got no replies.  I wonder where it is, so no one can respond to it" LOL

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/08/07 at 10:33 pm

"Hey, Whistledog!  >:(  I started a topic 2 years ago and it got no replies.  >:(  I wonder where it is,  :-\\  no one can respond to it" "Wad ya do to it!"  >:( >:( >:(

:P :P :D ;D :D

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/08/07 at 10:54 pm

"Hey, Whistledog!  >:(  I started a topic 2 years ago and it got no replies.  >:(  I wonder where it is,  :-\\  no one can respond to it" "Wad ya do to it!"  >:( >:( >:(

Hey 'Guest'  .. my sympathies go out to you!  :(  I saw your post .. felt sorry for you that NOBODY  had replied to your topic in 2 years  :\'( :\'( :\'( .... and was just about to post into it ... when I saw Jason 'Whistledog' had just deleted it!  :o

Maybe I should start a new campaign. "Bring back the deleted threads!  >:(  Bring back the deleted threads!"  >:(

:D ;D

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/07 at 10:58 pm

Hey 'Guest'  .. my sympathies go out to you!  :(  I saw your post .. felt sorry for you that NOBODY  had replied to your topic in 2 years  :\'( :\'( :\'( .... and was just about to post into it ... when I saw Jason 'Whistledog' had just deleted it!  :o

Maybe I should start a new campaign. "Bring back the deleted threads!  >:(  Bring back the deleted threads!"   >:(

:D ;D

Who is this guest?  He sounds like a nutjob ;D ;D :P :P :P :P :D :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/08/07 at 11:01 pm

I really don't see a need for purging old topics.  probably better to lock them or perhaps just find something more fun to do.  I don't think it's going to make much of a dent on the system performance.

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/08/07 at 11:12 pm

Who is this guest?  He sounds like a nutjob ;D ;D :P :P :P :P :D :D

Uhm .... I have NO idea  ;)  ... but I'm sure you're right!  :D :D :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/07 at 3:45 am

Good point Jason.

Deleted or mored to The Archive?

Written By: Tam on 09/11/07 at 12:46 am

Deleted or mored to The Archive?

The ones that were deleted are the ones that say "MOVED: (Insert topic here) to such and such board"
Basically, the ones that said a thread was moved to another part of the forum.

Archiving is just done automatically AFAIK ;)

Written By: Tam on 09/11/07 at 12:50 am

Threads like this one:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=5861.0

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/11/07 at 12:57 am

Something that occured to me about locking old topics after a certain amount of time. I'm a little on the fence about it myself, because a few of them are "timeless", especially PPP threads. While there's others, like news stories, which are not only irrelevant but dated, and if someone were to bump them, it kinda throws things off.

Personally I sometimes like going back and reading the old posts (i.e. decadeology threads), but just like with the news stories, it might be better to just have that stuff be "board history" so people can view it without being able to bump it. Is it just 0 post/non-member threads getting deleted, like "help me with a song" from 3 years ago?

How long would a thread have to be inactive for it to be autolocked, and could it be done in certain sections? I guess Penguin Place is the only "timeless" section in a way.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/11/07 at 8:42 am

Something that occured to me about locking old topics after a certain amount of time. I'm a little on the fence about it myself, because a few of them are "timeless", especially PPP threads. While there's others, like news stories, which are not only irrelevant but dated, and if someone were to bump them, it kinda throws things off.

Personally I sometimes like going back and reading the old posts (i.e. decadeology threads), but just like with the news stories, it might be better to just have that stuff be "board history" so people can view it without being able to bump it. Is it just 0 post/non-member threads getting deleted, like "help me with a song" from 3 years ago?

How long would a thread have to be inactive for it to be autolocked, and could it be done in certain sections? I guess Penguin Place is the only "timeless" section in a way.

I believe it would follow the same procedure as the warning for reply to an old thread.  If a thread has no new posts in 180 days, it gives you a warning about bumping such an old thread.  Instead of a warning, you just wouldn't have the option to bump it without asking for it be unlocked first.

Not sure if it's totally necessary, though there are a couple of former members who like to rejoin just to bump their old threads and then get banned all over again.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/16/07 at 8:15 pm

Purge #3 has been completed. Accounts not accessed in 6+ months and <= 5 posts were removed.

Membership is now at 1289, down 351 from when I started.

Every 6 months or so we might do this exact purge again, but for now we are done removing inactive/unused accounts.

Ant

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/16/07 at 8:44 pm

Purge #3 has been completed. Accounts not accessed in 6+ months and <= 5 posts were removed.

Every 6 months or so we might do this exact purge again, but for now we are done removing inactive/unused accounts.

Ant

Top stuff 'Red Ant'

I had already noticed our membership figures .... and was just about to post this below (now have in 'we're surging' post ratio thread) when I also noticed your above post ...

Wow! I've just had another look at our membership. Looks like we've jettisoned a few ...  8) 8)  http://forum.pc-freakz.com/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif

Because of the difference in the member-list (searchable from home page ... it gives us as 1279 last time I looked .... and the '1289' I last saw in our 'key stats' (top right corner of this page) ....  for convenience / worst case scenario ... I chose 1300 as our membership ... giving us a very very rough approx / ball park ratio of 1294.

When the new 'Big Board' figures are released in just over 3 hours .... I expect to see us on page one .... in 16th spot!  8) 8) 8) 8)

Of course, I expect us to drop down from 16th as we acquire new members .... but since they'll be periodic checks / purges from time to time ... we can probably maintain a figure somewhere inside or about the low 20's ... I'd think.

You never know ... there could be members from competing sites who check those ratio figures, find us on page one .... check this site out ... enjoy it ... and then become ACTIVE members here (hopefully ...).

:) 8)

Written By: nally on 09/17/07 at 1:13 pm

Ant

That's good...I often got bored with seeing lots of inactive accounts. I'm still surprised you didn't remove Smith'sGirl account, as that one hasn't been active in over three years. But you said that it wasn't removed because it had > 100 posts. Still, it seems highly unlikely that she'll ever return, having been gone for 3+ years. :o

Written By: Red Ant on 09/17/07 at 3:55 pm

Before anyone (cough*Alan*cough) asks, I did unplanned system maintenance today due to some spammers and spammed accounts. We stand at 1227 members now.

Ant

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/17/07 at 3:56 pm

Before anyone (cough*Alan*cough) asks, I did unplanned system maintenance today due to some spammers and spammed accounts. We stand at 1227 members now.

Ant
One cropped up for me first thing in the morning.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/17/07 at 4:00 pm

One cropped up for me first thing in the morning.

Yep. That post turned out to be the start of a very long day so far.

Ant

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/17/07 at 4:02 pm

Yep. That post turned out to be the start of a very long day so far.

Ant
Do you wish me to Modify my post so that the post sent cannot be read?

Written By: Red Ant on 09/17/07 at 4:04 pm

Do you wish me to Modify my post so that the post sent cannot be read?

I've already removed the spam URLs out of yours and Alan's quotes, so no need to really.

Ant

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/17/07 at 4:08 pm

I've already removed the spam URLs out of yours and Alan's quotes, so no need to really.

Ant
Thanks and anyway I was struggling to remember which thread it was in.

Written By: nally on 09/17/07 at 4:28 pm

Just spotted:

Latest Member: Random.Virus

I hope that's not anything serious. :o

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/17/07 at 6:24 pm

Ant

I wasn't going to ask 'Ant' ...  :)  ... but I certainly did notice several hours ago that figure in the top right corner going down, going down ... and figured you were culling a few more ... for whatever reason.

Anyhow .... I'm certainly not gonna complain about it! At least till I find myself culled too!  :\'( Except I won't be able to!  :\'( :\'( :\'(  (and that's the WORST part !  :P ;) :D ;D ).

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/17/07 at 10:31 pm

I wasn't going to ask 'Ant' ...  :)  ... but I certainly did notice several hours ago that figure in the top right corner going down, going down ... and figured you were culling a few more ... for whatever reason.

Anyhow .... I'm certainly not gonna complain about it! At least till I find myself culled too!  :\'( Except I won't be able to!  :\'( :\'( :\'(  (and that's the WORST part !  :P ;) :D ;D ).

Red Ant found a few dozen spammers all on one account when he was looking at some suspicious behavior. 

Check for new replies or respond here...