inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Save all PMs

Written By: adagio on 04/01/08 at 12:25 pm

How do I get rid of the pms in the new feature 'Save all PMs'.  This is entirely different from the box that we used to click to save responses, and it counts toward the total, but so far no one has told me how.  There is no delete function, or any way of getting rid of them.

Please tell me how.

adagio

Subject: Re: Save all PMs

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/08 at 12:27 pm

How do I get rid of the pms in the new feature 'Save all PMs'.  This is entirely different from the box that we used to click to save responses, and it counts toward the total, but so far no one has told me how.  There is no delete function, or any way of getting rid of them.

Please tell me how.

adagio

I believe you have to delete the messages from your inbox you don't want saved? 

not sure what the old feature you refer to is

Written By: adagio on 04/01/08 at 12:40 pm

There used to be a little box to click near the messages if we wanted to save the pms...that has changed since yesterday.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/08 at 1:33 pm

There used to be a little box to click near the messages if we wanted to save the pms...that has changed since yesterday.

I guess the mod takes its place. 

let me uninstall it then, it appears to be too confusing for people to use.

Written By: Tia on 04/01/08 at 1:34 pm

I guess the mod takes its place. 

let me uninstall it then, it appears to be too confusing for people to use.
worked fine for me, hmm. i found it real handy, you could just copy all your PMs into a word doc.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/08 at 1:37 pm

it's out now... hopefully the old function is back

Written By: Tia on 04/01/08 at 1:37 pm

that sucks, i really liked that Save all PMs feature. :(

Written By: adagio on 04/01/08 at 1:46 pm

Thanks Chucky! :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/08 at 1:47 pm

that sucks, i really liked that Save all PMs feature. :(

it breaks existing features and seems to be too confusing for a lot of members though. 

either way, people need to empty their mailboxes below 500 messages by Saturday

Written By: Tia on 04/01/08 at 1:49 pm

am i supposed to have a "save the PMs" box? i have boxes for deleting them but not for saving them.

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/01/08 at 3:12 pm

it breaks existing features and seems to be too confusing for a lot of members though. 

either way, people need to empty their mailboxes below 500 messages by Saturday

I don't mind getting rid of pm's but it's gonna get me ages to save them. That save pm's feature would really help,is there a way to bring it back for a little awhile just so the ones who want to can use it?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/08 at 3:18 pm

I don't mind getting rid of pm's but it's gonna get me ages to save them. That save pm's feature would really help,is there a way to bring it back for a little awhile just so the ones who want to can use it?

I'll turn it back on tomorrow for the day.

I have a hard time figuring out what different people are seeing, I think it's because my inbox is kept empty

Written By: nally on 04/01/08 at 3:19 pm

agreed...I like to save some of my older PM's because I like to read them over again.

I'll turn it back on tomorrow for the day.

I have a hard time figuring out what different people are seeing, I think it's because my inbox is kept empty

oh good. That'll give me time to go through all 800+ of my pm's and see which ones are worth saving. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/01/08 at 3:25 pm

I am going through and saving a lot of them in a file on my hard drive-but unfortunately, I'm doing it one at a time and it is taking me a while. I do a few, take a break, do a few, take a break. From what you said, this "Save all PMs" would be so much easier but I'm afraid that my inbox would probably crash the system. So, I'm working as fast as I can to save things. I don't want to lose any of it because there is some information that I do refer to.

Cat

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/01/08 at 3:31 pm

I am going through and saving a lot of them in a file on my hard drive-but unfortunately, I'm doing it one at a time and it is taking me a while. I do a few, take a break, do a few, take a break. From what you said, this "Save all PMs" would be so much easier but I'm afraid that my inbox would probably crash the system. So, I'm working as fast as I can to save things. I don't want to lose any of it because there is some information that I do refer to.

Cat

From what Tia said i figured with that option when you click it a new page with all the pm's appear,instead of saving that page that must be really long and will take a long time,you can just copy paste to a word type document and that will be a lot quicker.

Written By: Tia on 04/01/08 at 3:34 pm

Cat
cat i had almost 4000 PMs. (i'm not proud of this fact; it just kinda got away from me.) it made the computer kinda pause a second but it worked out okay. i figure if it worked for me it should work for anybody.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/01/08 at 3:40 pm

cat i had almost 4000 PMs. (i'm not proud of this fact; it just kinda got away from me.) it made the computer kinda pause a second but it worked out okay. i figure if it worked for me it should work for anybody.

I had close to 2600. I have brought it down to 2499. My problem is that I do have a tendency of saving EVERYTHING. And I know that I am one of the reasons why Chucky is doing this.  :-[ :-[  And I really don't want to be the reason why things go haywire on the board either. Carlos gets on me because I am such a packrat it is unreal. Yes, it is an illness.

Cat

Written By: Green Lantern on 04/01/08 at 7:33 pm

I had close to 2600. I have brought it down to 2499. My problem is that I do have a tendency of saving EVERYTHING. And I know that I am one of the reasons why Chucky is doing this.  :-[ :-[  And I really don't want to be the reason why things go haywire on the board either. Carlos gets on me because I am such a packrat it is unreal. Yes, it is an illness.

Cat

Don't worry .... you're in 'good company' (packrat! )  ....... or  'bad' (?) ...... as the case may be ?    :-[

Written By: gibbo on 04/02/08 at 12:38 am

Cat

It's sooo easy to hit the delete button.....liberating even.... :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/08 at 1:08 am

...and start afresh?

Written By: Green Lantern on 04/02/08 at 1:12 am

...and start afresh?

Made much of a reduction yet Phil ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/08 at 1:15 am

Made much of a reduction yet Phil ?
Only a small dent, too much nostalgia with reading the old messages.

Written By: Green Lantern on 04/02/08 at 1:17 am

Only a small dent, too much nostalgia with reading the old messages.

I feel your pain ... and it IS a 'pain'  !  :\'(

Written By: karen on 04/02/08 at 7:51 am

I still have some way to go.  However most of mine are of the 'hello, how are you' type messages.  Typical example from Davey "Awight, JUst gonna nip downstiars for some food like.."  I don't think I need to keep them.  :-\\  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/02/08 at 10:12 am

What happens when you hit the "save all PMs" button? Does it wipe everything out of the inbox? Yes, I want everything saved but there are some things that I want to keep in my inbox.

Somethings I just can delete. There is a PM from a dear friend of mine who I managed to get to join-she only posted once or two but she has since passed away. There is no way in hell I'm going to delete her PM.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 04/02/08 at 10:15 am

What happens when you hit the "save all PMs" button? Does it wipe everything out of the inbox? Yes, I want everything saved but there are some things that I want to keep in my inbox.

Cat
no, it has no effect on your inbox. it opens up a new browser window with your emails copied into it in text form all one page.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/02/08 at 10:23 am

Wow, that is SOOOOO cool. I wish it was there BEFORE I started saving/pruning things because it saved ALL the info I wanted to say (i.e. dates, and who sent it, etc. etc.). Now, just need to go through and start hitting delete, delete, delete. That's the easy part but saving it. THANKS CHUCKY!!!!!

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/02/08 at 11:30 am

Wow, that is SOOOOO cool. I wish it was there BEFORE I started saving/pruning things because it saved ALL the info I wanted to say (i.e. dates, and who sent it, etc. etc.). Now, just need to go through and start hitting delete, delete, delete. That's the easy part but saving it. THANKS CHUCKY!!!!!

Cat

no problem.

I'll leave it on for now, not sure why the other function goes away when this is turned on, otherwise I'd leave it there permanently.

I think the search feature in the PM menu is causing the problems with the large mail boxes, not just reading messages.  If I could disable that, I probably wouldn't need to worry about this so much.

Of course, it does consume a lot of drive space on the server, and eventually it's going to cause issues one way or another.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/08 at 11:33 am

The Save All PMs link appeared in my PM Box so I took the opportunity and save 1884 of my messages and I have only 49 PMs now, which is well under the limit.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/02/08 at 11:47 am

The Save All PMs link appeared in my PM Box so I took the opportunity and save 1884 of my messages and I have only 49 PMs now, which is well under the limit.

very cool...

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/02/08 at 11:48 am

very cool...

I had deleted around 120 PMs, but they were only general messages, nothing of true importance.

Check for new replies or respond here...