inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Service Stripes?

Written By: Echo Nomad on 12/23/08 at 2:41 pm

"Service Stripes"?

Subject: Re: Service Stripes?

Written By: Red Ant on 12/31/08 at 4:57 pm

I looked over the options in SMF 2.0 b4 (which has more options than this board's version)- anything like that would have to be a custom script.

signature banned as well

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/31/08 at 5:29 pm

I looked over the options in SMF 2.0 b4 (which has more options than this board's version)- anything like that would have to be a custom script.

signature banned as well

no it wouldn't.  There's custom profile fields that can be used, which is what I'll be moving the current medals into.  It just would require an admin to award them by hand, instead of letting the software do it automagically.

It's a neat idea, but I've been holding off for the new software before I make any changes like that.  Of course I've been waiting a year now for the new version to become more stable, so I might change software before the final release is out there instead of endlessly delaying things.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/31/08 at 5:53 pm

no it wouldn't.  There's custom profile fields that can be used, which is what I'll be moving the current medals into.  It just would require an admin to award them by hand, instead of letting the software do it automagically.

It's a neat idea, but I've been holding off for the new software before I make any changes like that.  Of course I've been waiting a year now for the new version to become more stable, so I might change software before the final release is out there instead of endlessly delaying things.

I see. Making them by hand would be a lot of work, wouldn't it? Each time a member rolled into another year, that would have to be done manually. I was thinking a script could calculate a member's time and award/update the appropriate stripes automatically. For AFD, we changed ~150 member names and back in a day - pretty time consuming. Striping 1300+ members by hand and doing membership birthdays by hand seems more time consuming, imho. It would be cool though.  8)

I looked at the profile fields over at NP - if you could PM me on how to set up images for stripes I'd be willing to try it out over there. ~50 members wouldn't be hard to do.

signature banned as well

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/31/08 at 7:34 pm

I see. Making them by hand would be a lot of work, wouldn't it? Each time a member rolled into another year, that would have to be done manually. I was thinking a script could calculate a member's time and award/update the appropriate stripes automatically. For AFD, we changed ~150 member names and back in a day - pretty time consuming. Striping 1300+ members by hand and doing membership birthdays by hand seems more time consuming, imho. It would be cool though.  8)

I looked at the profile fields over at NP - if you could PM me on how to set up images for stripes I'd be willing to try it out over there. ~50 members wouldn't be hard to do.

signature banned as well

well, I'm thinking it would be more on a "ask and be awarded" type of situation.  Out of the 1300 members, there's maybe only 200-300 tops that remain active for more than a year and keep coming back and interact, etc. Probably still would require a lot of initial work, and then a few dozen a week.

A script would be the right way to do it, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone did have a similar mod already for the software.  I should take the time and learn the mod system to write my own.  It's not like I don't know PHP, I've just never taken the time to learn how to package the modifications I write. 

Check for new replies or respond here...