inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Archiving threads - Update April 1 - PLEASE READ

Written By: Tam on 03/25/09 at 11:12 am

Starting this week and continuing forward, I will be moving quite a few of our older threads to the archives.

Chucky has agreed that it is better to send them to the archives than to leave them sit and take up valuable space on the server. As well, once moved, the threads will no longer allow responses and cannot be reinstated on the forum, as I will send them to files similar to those from before the board changed in 2004. A new backup of the site will be created.

We thank you for your patience during this clean up.

Tam
inthe00s Moderator

Subject: Re: Archiving threads - PLEASE READ

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/09 at 3:51 pm

Goodbye old threads!

Written By: Tam on 03/27/09 at 7:35 am

So far, I have moved approx. 50 threads to the archives.
Smooth sailing!
Onward Ho!
;D

Written By: nally on 03/27/09 at 11:28 pm

Starting this week and continuing forward, I will be moving quite a few of our older threads to the archives.

Chucky has agreed that it is better to send them to the archives than to leave them sit and take up valuable space on the server. As well, once moved, the threads will no longer allow responses and cannot be reinstated on the forum, as I will send them to files similar to those from before the board changed in 2004. A new backup of the site will be created.

We thank you for your patience during this clean up.

Tam
inthe00s Moderator

Seems like a good idea. So...this goes for threads that have not been updated in, say, 4+ years? ???

I'm wondering if some old inactive accounts should go too; there are still a few of those which haven't been active since '04.

Written By: Tam on 03/29/09 at 8:05 pm

Moved quite a few more tonight.
Which is awesome because this means that I might have them all moved by tomorrow evening! Of course, if it takes longer I am ok with that too. ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/29/09 at 8:30 pm

Seems like a good idea. So...this goes for threads that have not been updated in, say, 4+ years? ???

I'm wondering if some old inactive accounts should go too; there are still a few of those which haven't been active since '04.

we only remove inactive accounts if they were never used... ie. person signed up, never posted, haven't logged in for a couple years.  the last purge took care of enough of those, we probably wouldn't see any benefit from doing it again for a long time.  Plus most of the ones in the last purge were from when the spammers started to get more sophisticated and began creating accounts to post their crap.

Written By: Tam on 03/31/09 at 11:13 pm

Trying to figure out what happened to the 2 boards!

Bobo and I switched profiles as April Fools.
We didn't want to do anything else to mess up the server.

I am looking into where the boards went and how to get them back! ;)

Written By: Frank on 03/31/09 at 11:31 pm

Trying to figure out what happened to the 2 boards!

Bobo and I switched profiles as April Fools.
We didn't want to do anything else to mess up the server.

I am looking into where the boards went and how to get them back! ;)

Yes, I saw that too. Wonder where is "Penguin Board games". I guess a new and improved version is currently being worked on? My bigger concern is how is Philip going to keep a 145 post per day average if that board is off limits for a few days.

Written By: nally on 03/31/09 at 11:34 pm

Yes, I saw that too. Wonder where is "Penguin Board games". I guess a new and improved version is currently being worked on? My bigger concern is how is Philip going to keep a 145 post per day average if that board is off limits for a few days.

Yep, that one and Writing On Walrus. I think I have an idea as to what may have happened, but I'm not sure if it's quite right.

Written By: Tam on 03/31/09 at 11:37 pm

As of right now, it appears that I may have inadvertently archived the boards, as opposed to certain threads!

I don't honestly know how I did it, because I have to check each thread separately.
I hope I can get them back, but it looks unlikely. Once archived, that's it. I can't even find them to look at them because it takes a few hours (approx 24) before they show up in the archives........

To be sure - my days as a Mod are probably numbered!

Written By: Frank on 03/31/09 at 11:40 pm

As of right now, it appears that I may have inadvertently archived the boards, as opposed to certain threads!

I don't honestly know how I did it, because I have to check each thread separately.
I hope I can get them back, but it looks unlikely. Once archived, that's it. I can't even find them to look at them because it takes a few hours (approx 24) before they show up in the archives........

Well, you can create new empty boards for "Board game" and "Walrus" and we can start all over again if getting them back fails. Guess we can't call on Superman to fly around the world until it starts rotating the other way and get back what we lost.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/31/09 at 11:42 pm

you broke it, you fix it.  past my bedtime, I'm sure to be a mess in the morning again

Subject: Re: Archiving threads - Update March 31 - PLEASE READ

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 1:20 am

I will arrange something....

Written By: Frank on 04/01/09 at 1:23 am

I will arrange something....

Good luck..maybe you can crave 140 different foods  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 1:24 am

Craving for tea right now.

Written By: Frank on 04/01/09 at 1:52 am

Craving for tea right now.

Go ahead and indulge. I am a tea drinker myself (don't drink coffee).

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 1:53 am

Go ahead and indulge. I am a tea drinker myself (don't drink coffee).

I will be there very soon

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 3:17 am

BTW, 79 posts so far today and none of them on the two missing boards, so I am halfway towards my average for the day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 8:06 am

There you go, I have now made my average for my daily posts rate of over 145 posts without the use of the missing boards.

Subject: Re: Archiving threads - Update April 1 - PLEASE READ

Written By: Tam on 04/01/09 at 11:03 am

Not bad y'all!!!

Only a few of you chose to send me PM's about the loss of certain boards!
70+ messages wasn't bad to walk into this morning!!! ;D ;D

So yeah - even though some of you figured it out and didn't say anything - Thank You!
And:

APRIL FOOLS

We couldn't do anything extreme because of the sensitivity of the server lately, so instead we just made boards disappear. I actually wanted to make all of the boards go away and just leave system news, but Bobo thought better about it!

At any rate, have a great day everyone!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 11:03 am

Not bad y'all!!!

Only a few of you chose to send me PM's about the loss of certain boards!
70+ messages wasn't bad to walk into this morning!!! ;D ;D

So yeah - even though some of you figured it out and didn't say anything - Thank You!
And:

APRIL FOOLS

We couldn't do anything extreme because of the sensitivity of the server lately, so instead we just made boards disappear. I actually wanted to make all of the boards go away and just leave system news, but Bobo thought better about it!

At any rate, have a great day everyone!
It feels as if I have had a day off.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/01/09 at 11:28 am

I figured it was an April Fools joke.  Good one, guys. :)

Written By: Frank on 04/01/09 at 12:37 pm

There you go, I have now made my average for my daily posts rate of over 145 posts without the use of the missing boards.

Congrats!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/09 at 12:39 pm

Congrats!

Now all is back to normal.

Written By: nally on 04/01/09 at 3:10 pm

I figured it was an April Fools joke.  Good one, guys. :)

I thought so too. In fact, I suspected it was from the moment I logged in last night and found out what was going on.

Now all is back to normal.

Amen to that. O0

Check for new replies or respond here...