inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: YouTube can now be embedded in your posts

Written By: Tam on 10/25/09 at 11:40 pm

anyways <youtube></youtube> with square brackets should now work.  Might have to change the additional themes as well.

There were two pre-made packages, one allowed just youtube, the other covered hundreds of video sites.  I thought sticking to just YouTube was fine for now.

As Chucky said, use the <youtube></youtube> with square brackets to embed videos.

Enjoy! 8)

Subject: Re: YouTube can now be embedded in your posts

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/09 at 1:34 pm

This has proved most useful.

Written By: Tam on 02/05/13 at 8:14 pm

I would like to add that perhaps you limit how many youtube links you out in a single post. I say this because today as I was going through and locking threads, some of the thread pages with 15-20 youtube links in them were  slowing down the download of the page itself.

So I am asking that you now link no more than 2 youtube links per post.
If you want to link more, just make a second post.

Thanks

Written By: karen on 02/07/13 at 1:42 am

Also perhaps people could think whether they need to quote all of the youtube clips in their reply.

Written By: Howard on 02/07/13 at 6:36 am

Tam can we still use the http://www.inthe00s.com/Themes/core/images/bbc/youtube.gif icon?  ???

Written By: Tam on 02/07/13 at 12:50 pm

Tam can we still use the http://www.inthe00s.com/Themes/core/images/bbc/youtube.gif icon?  ???

Howard,
If it is the icon that you just posted that you are talking about then absolutely!
All we are asking is that if you put a youtube video in a post, make sure you only put in 2 at a time. ;)

Written By: nally on 02/07/13 at 1:07 pm

Also perhaps people could think whether they need to quote all of the youtube clips in their reply.

Good point; even quoting one clip might not totally be necessary. For example, in Warped's "Classic song of the day" thread, I often remove the clip when quoting the post containing the song he's introducing. After all, the song title and artist are listed above the clip so that info is understood.

Written By: wildcard on 02/07/13 at 1:23 pm

Good point; even quoting one clip might not totally be necessary. For example, in Warped's "Classic song of the day" thread, I often remove the clip when quoting the post containing the song he's introducing. After all, the song title and artist are listed above the clip so that info is understood.

I don't re quote the song, just the title so you know what I'm talking about. 

Written By: nally on 02/07/13 at 4:39 pm

I don't re quote the song, just the title so you know what I'm talking about. 

That's what I was getting at in my above posting.

Written By: whistledog on 10/03/13 at 1:19 pm

I wish everyone would do this.  When people quote them and don't remove the video, even with a fast internet connection, it still makes things slow

Written By: karen on 10/04/13 at 1:48 am

I wish everyone would do this.  When people quote them and don't remove the video, even with a fast internet connection, it still makes things slow

Agreed

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/13 at 11:55 am

Everyone should be sent PM as reminder.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/13 at 2:56 pm

I agree, thanks for the information.

Written By: karen on 10/05/13 at 11:46 am

but will you remember...

Written By: Howard on 10/05/13 at 3:11 pm

but will you remember...

I'll try.

Written By: karen on 10/07/13 at 11:27 am

I'll try.

not hard enough apparently

Written By: warped on 10/09/13 at 8:36 am

Howard,
If it is the icon that you just posted that you are talking about then absolutely!
All we are asking is that if you put a youtube video in a post, make sure you only put in 2 at a time. ;)

Let's all try to remember these things folks.

1) If you put a youtube video in a post, make sure you only put in 2 at a time, max.
2) When you quote a post with a youtube video in it, remove the video in your post.

8)

Written By: whistledog on 10/09/13 at 9:55 pm

I sometimes post three videos in one thread (great things come in threes), but even that I can see how it can lag a viewing experience.  In some cases, where some people post videos just for sake of posting just videos and nothing else or when someone quotes a post with 3 videos, just to comment on one of those three to say "good song" is occupying space that does not need to be occupied.

If you're going to post a youtube video, give some info why you are posting it, don't just post a video or a bunch of videos and only that.  That way, if the clip you are posting gets deleted from youtube (which happens), there will be text explaining what the video is so if someone wants to, they can proactively seek youtube for it if they want to see it

Written By: warped on 10/10/13 at 7:28 am

I sometimes post three videos in one thread (great things come in threes), but even that I can see how it can lag a viewing experience.  In some cases, where some people post videos just for sake of posting just videos and nothing else or when someone quotes a post with 3 videos, just to comment on one of those three to say "good song" is occupying space that does not need to be occupied.

If you're going to post a youtube video, give some info why you are posting it, don't just post a video or a bunch of videos and only that.  That way, if the clip you are posting gets deleted from youtube (which happens), there will be text explaining what the video is so if someone wants to, they can proactively seek youtube for it if they want to see it

Hope Howard reads any of this, but ever since your post

He's like 0 for 20... lol

I give up.

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/13 at 6:29 pm

Hope Howard reads any of this, but ever since your post

He's like 0 for 20... lol

I give up.

Yeah, it doesn't seem like it's gonna happen.  I just edit the posts and remove the video, which I don't mind doing.  I never really get to use my mod powers for anything else.  Nothing ever goes on in the 80s section that requires my powers lol

"What I wouldn't give for some action!"
http://faceplantreview.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/demolition_man-bullock.jpg

Written By: warped on 10/11/13 at 8:22 pm

Yeah, it doesn't seem like it's gonna happen.  I just edit the posts and remove the video, which I don't mind doing.  I never really get to use my mod powers for anything else.  Nothing ever goes on in the 80s section that requires my powers lol

"What I wouldn't give for some action!"
http://faceplantreview.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/demolition_man-bullock.jpg

Be prepared for lots of editing on Howard's posts, because he isn't remembering, not even once I think.

Written By: Howard on 10/12/13 at 2:57 pm

Be prepared for lots of editing on Howard's posts, because he isn't remembering, not even once I think.

I don't know what's wrong? I post the video and description sometimes? What more is there?  ???

Written By: nally on 10/12/13 at 3:03 pm

I don't know what's wrong? I post the video and description sometimes? What more is there?  ???

It's when you quote posts that have Youtubes in them. When doing that, all you need to do is take the Youtube link out of the quoted post, so that it doesn't slow down the page-loading process. That's all we're asking of you.
(IOW, don't quote the embedded Youtube thingy.)

Written By: warped on 10/12/13 at 3:16 pm

I agree, thanks for the information.

but will you remember...

I'll try.

It's when you quote posts that have Youtubes in them. When doing that, all you need to do is take the Youtube link out of the quoted post, so that it doesn't slow down the page-loading process. That's all we're asking of you.
(IOW, don't quote the embedded Youtube thingy.)

Exactly. So Howard, if you weren't sure of what you were supposed to do, here's an example: When you reply to a post, like this one for example

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=49057.msg3085167#msg3085167

All you have to do, in your reply, is to remove this part

"(youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XZ7gi1VRwU"

of the post. Just delete the whole line. If there are more the 1 youtube videos, delete all of the lines like that one.

The reason we would like this done is because if anyone keeps replying with youtube videos in it, even if they have a fast internet connection, it still makes things slow, really slow sometimes.

Please let me know if you are unsure of what to do, I will be glad to help

Written By: whistledog on 10/12/13 at 4:11 pm

And also Howard, please be careful of what you post.  I had to edit one of your posts because the Rick James clip you had showed pictures of a topless woman.  I replaced it with a different video of the same song that showed no nudity

Written By: Howard on 10/12/13 at 5:43 pm

And also Howard, please be careful of what you post.  I had to edit one of your posts because the Rick James clip you had showed pictures of a topless woman.  I replaced it with a different video of the same song that showed no nudity

Ok, I'm sorry.

Check for new replies or respond here...