inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So what's missing still?

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/31/11 at 9:03 pm

here's what's missing still that I know about

Chat Room - unlikely to be operational, no SMF 2 mods seem to work yet
Highlighted Topics - DONE
Archives - DONE
Karma Rankings - DONE

Subject:

Written By: Dude111 on 12/31/11 at 9:44 pm

Well Chucky seeing the chatroom is a stand along flash app,i would think it would work fine.. Just have ppl manually click the link (Maybe stick a thread with the link there)

Everything looks AWESOME!! (And it seems even faster than it was for me before!!)

Subject: Re:

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/31/11 at 9:51 pm

Well Chucky seeing the chatroom is a stand along flash app,i would think it would work fine.. Just have ppl manually click the link (Maybe stick a thread with the link there)

Everything looks AWESOME!! (And it seems even faster than it was for me before!!)

it has integration with the messageboard's database for user accounts, it can be run in a standalone mode, but I don't need another thing to try and monitor for abuse.

are you intentionally removing the subject line when you respond to messages or is that a bug that cropped up?

Subject:

Written By: Dude111 on 12/31/11 at 9:53 pm

No im removing it as it makes the reply look cleaner http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/newyears/smiley.gif

You dont mind do ya??

Subject: Re: So what's missing still?

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/31/11 at 9:54 pm

here's what's missing still that I know about

Chat room - unlikely to be operational, no SMF 2 mods seem to work yet
Newest topics
Highlighted topics
Archives
Karma rankings

I've moved over the work I did for the other board, and it mostly works so far.  not bad for something I haven't touched in a year.  Still trying to integrate it into the menus, until then, here are some links.

Karma Stats
Frontpage with Latest Started Topics
System Rules
Archive

I've left search enabled for now.  Not the fastest thing ever, but it doesn't appear to be killing the server like the old search function used to.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/31/11 at 9:55 pm

No im removing it as it makes the reply look cleaner http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/newyears/smiley.gif

You dont mind do ya??

I don't care much either way, it's just that when you see the system index, if you're the last person to respond to a thread, you can't click on the link to the latest topic.  It's a little annoying now that I think of it. 

Subject:

Written By: Dude111 on 12/31/11 at 10:00 pm

Ya thats a bug in SMF.. It should show THE THREAD on the index,NOT THE REPLY (Thats what causes the error) I dunno if you could edit the index to show what THREADS have been replied to/posted instead of what REPLIES were made?

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/31/11 at 10:14 pm

Ya thats a bug in SMF.. It should show THE THREAD on the index,NOT THE REPLY (Thats what causes the error) I dunno if you could edit the index to show what THREADS have been replied to/posted instead of what REPLIES were made?

I don't know, probably.  way too busy to go fixing bugs in the software I didn't cause in the first place.

Subject:

Written By: Dude111 on 01/01/12 at 12:58 am

Hehe i understand mate!!

Its kind of unfortunate they did this when they made SMF,kinda silly.... Its the ONLY S/W i have seen like so........

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/12 at 3:33 am

Will the statistics box that used to appear in the top right hand corner be back?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/12 at 6:05 am

Will the statistics box that used to appear in the top right hand corner be back?
Just noticed that the basic stats are towards the bottom of the Home Page, but the postcount is that since the crash in 2004, not the complete as previous.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/12 at 6:24 am

I think the board looks absolutely wonderful and I like nice blue color.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/12 at 6:26 am

Is it me... or is it that you cannot view your own Profile Summary, where other members can be viewed?

Written By: Howard on 01/01/12 at 6:40 am

Is it me... or is it that you cannot view your own Profile Summary, where other members can be viewed?

I viewed mine.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/12 at 6:40 am

I would like an option where you can hover over a topic and see what someone posted.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/12 at 6:42 am

I viewed mine.
How?

Written By: Howard on 01/01/12 at 6:42 am

How?

you mean The "view profile" option? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/12 at 6:57 am

you mean The "view profile" option? ???
Can you view this info of yourself?

Howard
Geeks
    * Email

Custom Title:    JAMMINOLDIES
Personal Text:    Pathmark Cartman
Karamel Sutra:    +4788/-205

Date Registered:    April 22, 2004, 12:43:21 AM
Local Time:    January 01, 2012, 07:53:02 AM
Language:    English
Last Active:    Today at 12:52:56 PM

Written By: Howard on 01/01/12 at 7:42 am

Can you view this info of yourself?

I don't see that. ???

Written By: Henk on 01/01/12 at 8:16 am

I just tried to hand out some karma. I see you're now required to give a reason for doing so - which seems rather silly if you ask me. :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/01/12 at 9:32 am

Just noticed that the basic stats are towards the bottom of the Home Page, but the postcount is that since the crash in 2004, not the complete as previous.

That's a custom number, so I have to put it in there myself.  It wasn't a crash in 2004, it was an upgrade from YABB to SMF. I could have done an upgrade at the time, but felt it was better to make a clean break at the time.

but yeah, I'll be adding it back in there.  Not sure if I'm going to add it on the top of the site again though, might just leave it on the bottom.  Might do a nice big image header at the top of the site as well.  It's a bit stark looking right now.

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/01/12 at 9:40 am

I just tried to hand out some karma. I see you're now required to give a reason for doing so - which seems rather silly if you ask me. :-\\

I saw that too last night while I was handing out karma, I was wondering if the person would get a PM or it would show in the log?  Doesn't bother me much.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/12 at 10:40 am

I don't see that. ???
Exactly!

Written By: wildcard on 01/01/12 at 1:22 pm

the only thing I can change to from photobucket is a broken picture.  I'm going to get something off my desktop.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/12 at 1:24 pm

You have to give a reason for giving karma? Doesn't make sense but it could work.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/12 at 1:27 pm

The bottom of Look And Layout is different.

Written By: wildcard on 01/01/12 at 1:34 pm

getting something from my desktop works. and so does using something from the gallery or doing nothing.  just a photobucket problem

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/01/12 at 1:53 pm

Hey Chucky,

I just tried to do a search and this came up:

An Error Has Occurred!
You are not allowed to search for posts in this forum.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/01/12 at 2:01 pm

the threads that were collected over the years.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/01/12 at 3:07 pm

My musical note is missing.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Tam on 01/01/12 at 6:44 pm

Hey Chucky,

I just tried to do a search and this came up:

An Error Has Occurred!

Cat

Cat - I will go fix this.
I need you to tell me if you can see the arcade too please. ;)

Written By: wildcard on 01/01/12 at 8:15 pm

is there something where I can return to the posts I currently posted to see if there is a reply to them or something?

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/01/12 at 9:44 pm

is there something where I can return to the posts I currently posted to see if there is a reply to them or something?

Show new replies to your posts.  is still available... as it was in the old version.

Subject:

Written By: Dude111 on 01/01/12 at 10:51 pm

I can see the arcade Chuck so you have those permissions set right!!

I havent played anything yet though,have you buddy??

I still get a permission error when i try to search.....

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/01/12 at 11:21 pm

I can see the arcade Chuck so you have those permissions set right!!

I havent played anything yet though,have you buddy??

I still get a permission error when i try to search.....

I just reset search permissions...

there's a thread on the video games board for the arcade stuff.. I played a couple and it appears to work ok for most of the games.

Written By: wildcard on 01/02/12 at 1:17 am

Show new replies to your posts.  is still available... as it was in the old version.

okay, but I tried the show new replies thing and it takes me back to threads I haven't posted in in months or years.  I just want to know if I posted whatever in this thread or that thread on a daily basis.  I could just start bookmarking myself where I post when I need to.  Good idea Ann, just bookmark more if you need to.

Written By: Tam on 01/02/12 at 1:51 am

Hey Chucky,

Not sure if you want to waste the time with this, I might be the only one still using it.

http://www.inthe00s.com/showSomeLove.php

It is supposed to pull up a list of the most recent created topics with zero replies.

No biggie. Like I said - I might be the only one who uses it. LOL

Written By: Tam on 01/02/12 at 1:54 am

okay, but I tried the show new replies thing and it takes me back to threads I haven't posted in in months or years.  I just want to know if I posted whatever in this thread or that thread on a daily basis.  I could just start bookmarking myself where I post when I need to.  Good idea Ann, just bookmark more if you need to.

Ann,
The only way to not receive replies for all of the threads you have posted in, would be to go to each thread, hunt down your old post(s) and delete them from the thread. New replies has always operated the way it does now. I still get replies on threads I haven't been part of in over 4 years but I just ignore them. Plus, anything that really interests me, I notify myself and that way I get emails of replies. ;)

Bookmarks on your computer might be a better idea for you. Less time and less email. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/02/12 at 2:18 am

It seems that something is missing on Big Boards.

On here http://stats.big-boards.com/b/1653.png

For it is still showing our (complete) postcount of 3091372 which was 28th December last and our Home Page shows 2719178, the total since April 2004.

?

Written By: wildcard on 01/02/12 at 2:23 am

Ann,
The only way to not receive replies for all of the threads you have posted in, would be to go to each thread, hunt down your old post(s) and delete them from the thread. New replies has always operated the way it does now. I still get replies on threads I haven't been part of in over 4 years but I just ignore them. Plus, anything that really interests me, I notify myself and that way I get emails of replies. ;)

Bookmarks on your computer might be a better idea for you. Less time and less email. :)

I don't want anyone to go through all that trouble.  I can just do bookmarks also for keeping track of where I post stuff when I need to.  I got more then half my toolbar covered with folders of bookmarks.  Have to save, write, however whatever.  I better get my butt in bed now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/02/12 at 2:26 am

I still cannot see my own Profile Summary, but can see the other member's Profile Summary.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/12 at 10:33 am

I can see it now. I couldn't last night. And thanks for your help. Karma.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/12 at 11:10 am

I just reset search permissions...

there's a thread on the video games board for the arcade stuff.. I played a couple and it appears to work ok for most of the games.

I'm still getting:

An Error Has Occurred!

Cat

Written By: Henk on 01/02/12 at 1:49 pm

I only just noticed that there's no more automatic notification when you receive a new PM.

In fact, your PM count isn't shown at all anymore.

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/12 at 1:51 pm

I only just noticed that there's no more automatic notification when you receive a new PM.

maybe we aren't limited to 500 any longer....here's hoping!

btw I clicked the # responses on the highligted topic and it just refreshed the highlighted topics page rather than taking me to the topic.

Written By: Howard on 01/02/12 at 3:08 pm

I still cannot see my own Profile Summary, but can see the other member's Profile Summary.

Why is that?  ???

Written By: Howard on 01/02/12 at 3:10 pm

most of my buddies on here aren't highlighted in dark color from the last board I have to keep adding them.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/02/12 at 3:28 pm

hey!  I fixed the missing medal.  I was robbed of my karamel

not sure if Tam knows she can modify those now (unlike the old system).

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/02/12 at 3:29 pm

For it is still showing our (complete) postcount of 3091372 which was 28th December last and our Home Page shows 2719178, the total since April 2004.

?

ahh... I gotta find this.  It's a mod I totally forgot I wrote to give an xml file with the correct stats to that site.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/02/12 at 3:40 pm

?

I just checked, and the board-stats reported to big-boards is correct, so something is messed up on their end

you can see the correct total here: http://www.inthe00s.com/board_stats.php

There are 374175 archived messages, so that's what gets added to the total I send to them.

Written By: Tam on 01/02/12 at 7:23 pm

hey!  I fixed the missing medal.  I was robbed of my karamel

not sure if Tam knows she can modify those now (unlike the old system).

I hit you with karma for it Chucky! ;)

I wasn't aware but now that I am, I am not sure I even want to mess with it. LOL

Did you miss my post one page back? About the list of recent topics with no replies? There is a link there too.
8)

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/12 at 7:30 pm

I asked for this a couple years ago and what the heck...with all the changes and stuff why not ask again.

When you look at someone's profile (and Philip's right we cannot view our own stats on our profiles.
you see these options.... 

Send PM
Show Posts
Show Stats
Who changed my karma
Whose karma have I changed

is it possible now to add the ability to give karma/fudge directly from someone's profile page?

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/02/12 at 7:43 pm

I hit you with karma for it Chucky! ;)

I wasn't aware but now that I am, I am not sure I even want to mess with it. LOL

Did you miss my post one page back? About the list of recent topics with no replies? There is a link there too.
8)

I did, but I forgot.  I'll add it to the list. I should add it to the highlighted topics aka front page when I've got it working again as well.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/02/12 at 7:49 pm

the PM count isn't shown on the top like it used to be, but on the menu bar it should tell you how many new messages you have waiting.  I miss the old layout as well.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/02/12 at 7:53 pm

I asked for this a couple years ago and what the heck...with all the changes and stuff why not ask again.

When you look at someone's profile (and Philip's right we cannot view our own stats on our profiles.
you see these options.... 

I can see my stats on my profile...this is what I get when I go into my profile:

Username:    DagwoodPosts:    10826 (3.850 per day)Personal Text:    *sigh*Karamel Sutra:    +3045/-11Gender:    FemaleAge:    40Location:    SLCDate Registered:    April 20, 2004, 10:00:00 PMLocal Time:    January 02, 2012, 07:50:06 PMLanguage:    EnglishLast Active:    Today at 07:49:36 PM

Or is it something different you are talking about?

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/12 at 7:55 pm

I can see my stats on my profile...this is what I get when I go into my profile:

Username:    DagwoodPosts:    10826 (3.850 per day)Personal Text:    *sigh*Karamel Sutra:    +3045/-11Gender:    FemaleAge:    40Location:    SLCDate Registered:    April 20, 2004, 10:00:00 PMLocal Time:    January 02, 2012, 07:50:06 PMLanguage:    EnglishLast Active:    Today at 07:49:36 PM

Or is it something different you are talking about?

when I look at my profile it just shows me my arcade statistics

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/inthe00s/00zeprofiles.jpg

Written By: Tam on 01/02/12 at 9:21 pm

^ I know my view of it doesn't compare to yours - because of my being a moderator and all - but I can see everything on everyone's profiles. I might also mention that I am using the red theme...

If you click "Forum profile" on the lefthand side, you should be able to get in and modify your profile.

When I look at both yours and Dagny's profiles, I see all of the information. Of course, it doesn't look like it did on the old smf. 8)

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/12 at 9:23 pm

^ I know my view of it doesn't compare to yours - because of my being a moderator and all - but I can see everything on everyone's profiles. I might also mention that I am using the red theme...

If you click "Forum profile" on the lefthand side, you should be able to get in and modify your profile.

When I look at both yours and Dagny's profiles, I see all of the information. Of course, it doesn't look like it did on the old smf. 8)

I've pretty much clicked on pretty much everything I could but I'll look again.

red eh?  for Dexter?  :P  :D

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/12 at 9:31 pm

I found a glitch see if you can figure out what it is!!!  :D

Written By: Tam on 01/02/12 at 9:32 pm

DUDE!!! Why do you have every single medal?? Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/12 at 9:33 pm

DUDE!!! Why do you have every single medal?? Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

Awwww you figured it out!!!  :D

Written By: Tam on 01/02/12 at 9:35 pm

Awwww you figured it out!!!  :D

I can go change it too but I have no idea which ones are rightfully yours! LMAO ;)

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/12 at 9:37 pm

I can go change it too but I have no idea which ones are rightfully yours! LMAO ;)

I'll change mine back....just basking in the glow for a few more seconds lol.... Funny thing is I'd actually lost a couple in the change lol

Written By: Tam on 01/02/12 at 9:39 pm

karma dude, karma <3

Written By: Tam on 01/02/12 at 9:40 pm

Something else that is missing...

The 15+ pages of extra smilies.
::)
;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/12 at 9:40 pm

karma dude, karma <3

fixt...  ;D  that was fun!  8) 

for about 5 minutes I was a canadian moderator too! lol  well I wasn't really but I had the badge of one!

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/12 at 9:42 pm

the red theme doesn't say where Howard comes to play but I like the look/layout of it better

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/12 at 9:43 pm

;D

I noticed that but since I spend way too much time looking for the right one I was happy to see it gone lol

Written By: Dagwood on 01/02/12 at 9:43 pm

If it is what I think, I saw it yesterday and was tempted to click them all. :D

Written By: Tam on 01/02/12 at 9:44 pm

the red theme doesn't say where Howard comes to play but I like the look/layout of it better

Yeah, the Howard quote is gone but the layout is brilliant compared to the dull blues....

Now, I am going to try an avatar I haven't been able to use in full format.
*fingers crossed*

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/12 at 9:44 pm

If it is what I think, I saw it yesterday and was tempted to click them all. :D

I did it... it was fun!!!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/12 at 9:46 pm

I've checked everything I don't seem to be able to change this aspect of my profile.

Written By: snozberries on 01/02/12 at 9:47 pm

Yeah, the Howard quote is gone but the layout is brilliant compared to the dull blues....

*fingers crossed*

Dancing tam is back but she's not dancing :-(

Written By: Dagwood on 01/02/12 at 9:48 pm

I've checked everything I don't seem to be able to change this aspect of my profile.

That is weird.  I don't know how to do a screen grab, but when I view my profile there are three tabs that say  "profile info" "modify profile" and "actions" at the top.  I don't even have arcade statistics on mine.  How bizarre is that? 

Written By: Tam on 01/02/12 at 9:50 pm

I will show you mine...

Dancing tam is back but she's not dancing :-(

She is still too big to dance...

That is weird.  I don't know how to do a screen grab, but when I view my profile there are three tabs that say  "profile info" "modify profile" and "actions" at the top.  I don't even have arcade statistics on mine.  How bizarre is that? 

Dag - I will show you what I see of yours too...

Written By: Tam on 01/02/12 at 10:01 pm

Ugh! I can't attach them. It says they are too dang big.
Ok, I will see about uploading them then...

(IPs and ages and emails have been removed to protect members privacy)

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/02/12 at 10:02 pm

;D

do people use those?  I can add that back in there somehow.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/02/12 at 10:03 pm

fixt...  ;D  that was fun!  8) 

for about 5 minutes I was a canadian moderator too! lol  well I wasn't really but I had the badge of one!

I fixed it now... so if anyone has any medals they shouldn't, let me know.

I spent half an hour setting all of those up, figures I'd still screw something up in the process.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/02/12 at 10:06 pm

*fingers crossed*

it's quite bright (hurts my eyes) but it's also got problems, like white text on light grey backgrounds so I don't recommend it yet.  I haven't been modifying it like the the core and default themes either, because I'm not sure I should continue to keep it until I sort out the issues with the white typefaces on it.

Subject:

Written By: Dude111 on 01/03/12 at 12:53 am

Not sure if you want to waste the time with this, I might be the only one still using it.

It is supposed to pull up a list of the most recent created topics with zero replies.

I just tried it Tam and it must not be setup right as i got an error on the page..

EDIT:

I cant believe how fast the site is moving along tonight,its amazing!!!!

You did good work on this Chuck!!!

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/03/12 at 1:04 am

Has the link with Big Boards been renewed? For it still shows the postcount for last December 28th not our current one.

Written By: karen on 01/03/12 at 1:40 am

Hehe i understand mate!!

Its kind of unfortunate they did this when they made SMF,kinda silly.... Its the ONLY S/W i have seen like so........

so you could stop deleting the thread topic in your reply

Written By: Henk on 01/03/12 at 5:26 am

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/inthe00s/00zeprofiles.jpg

Same here.

BTW: is there an option to display the names of the games one's currently champion of? ??? (I mean within the Profile settings - I know I can list the games in the Arcade by Champion name.)

Written By: Howard on 01/03/12 at 6:36 am

the PM count isn't shown on the top like it used to be, but on the menu bar it should tell you how many new messages you have waiting.  I miss the old layout as well.

I know I miss the old layout too.

Written By: Howard on 01/03/12 at 6:38 am

How'd you get all the medals?  :o ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/03/12 at 6:39 am

;D

you mean "additional smilies"? ???

Written By: Howard on 01/03/12 at 6:41 am

I like the title.

Written By: Howard on 01/03/12 at 6:42 am

Maybe once in a while they do.

Written By: Howard on 01/03/12 at 6:44 am

Has the link with Big Boards been renewed? For it still shows the postcount for last December 28th not our current one.

The Big Boards icon is missing.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/12 at 10:20 am

took me awhile to figure that one out too... apparently it's split out, view others profiles and view own profiles are two different options.  I can't imagine why someone would want to prevent one but not the other, but someone thought it would be a good idea.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/12 at 10:22 am

I checked into it, it's nothing on our end.  that site doesn't appear to work very well anymore.

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/12 at 10:58 am

took me awhile to figure that one out too... apparently it's split out, view others profiles and view own profiles are two different options.  I can't imagine why someone would want to prevent one but not the other, but someone thought it would be a good idea.

Can u remember how you did it?

I don't know if the pic I posted is clear but that's a side-by-side comparison of my and dag's profiles.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/12 at 11:27 am

Can u remember how you did it?

I don't know if the pic I posted is clear but that's a side-by-side comparison of my and dag's profiles.

I did it for everyone, so you should be able to see it now.  I know it changed, because I have my Mirrorshades account logged in with regular permissions and that account can now view their own stats.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/03/12 at 11:40 am

btw, guests can view the profiles of our members.

Written By: karen on 01/03/12 at 11:42 am

re: the extra smilies

There are quite a few in there that I used and I know others used the same ones.

mainly

birthday
gift
hug (think it was called threesome)
hitting with a fish
drinking
clashing mugs
poking with a stick
several of the clapping ones
dancing 'yay' jig

Written By: Henk on 01/03/12 at 12:46 pm

I did it for everyone, so you should be able to see it now.  I know it changed, because I have my Mirrorshades account logged in with regular permissions and that account can now view their own stats.

It's working for me. Thanks Chucky. :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/12 at 2:49 pm

re: the extra smilies

There are quite a few in there that I used and I know others used the same ones.

mainly

birthday
gift
hug (think it was called threesome)
hitting with a fish
drinking
clashing mugs
poking with a stick
several of the clapping ones
dancing 'yay' jig

I can add it back.  would people prefer a smaller selection or just the big huge list?

Written By: Tam on 01/03/12 at 2:54 pm

I can add it back.  would people prefer a smaller selection or just the big huge list?

I know a few would be welcomed back, but that would entail you having to look for specific ones. What if you just add them all back and then that way you won't ever have to worry about it again? ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/12 at 3:04 pm

I know a few would be welcomed back, but that would entail you having to look for specific ones. What if you just add them all back and then that way you won't ever have to worry about it again? ;)

I always felt it was a bit cluttered having all those extra ones in there, so I was thinking it would make it look a little better if there was one or two pages worth.  doesn't bother me one way or the other though.

Written By: Tam on 01/03/12 at 3:08 pm

I always felt it was a bit cluttered having all those extra ones in there, so I was thinking it would make it look a little better if there was one or two pages worth.  doesn't bother me one way or the other though.

I hear where you're coming from.
;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/12 at 3:56 pm

Hey Chucky,

No biggie. Like I said - I might be the only one who uses it. LOL

it's fixed now

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/12 at 5:11 pm

awesome thanks!

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/12 at 5:12 pm

tam until you mentions this http://www.inthe00s.com/showSomeLove.php  the other day....and seeing it now... I never knew this was there....

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/12 at 5:23 pm

tam until you mentions this http://www.inthe00s.com/showSomeLove.php  the other day....and seeing it now... I never knew this was there....

something special I coded up.  Thinking of adding it to the highlighted page, right under the latest topics

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/12 at 5:51 pm

I'm wondering if it is possible to have more font sizes. Before, we were able to go from 1pt up to 99pt. Now, we only have 7 choices.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/12 at 6:14 pm

I'm wondering if it is possible to have more font sizes. Before, we were able to go from 1pt up to 99pt. Now, we only have 7 choices.

How were you selecting it before? It has something to do with the themes most likely, and I'm not sure if the new one can do that.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/12 at 6:28 pm

How were you selecting it before? It has something to do with the themes most likely, and I'm not sure if the new one can do that.

Before, where it said font size, you can put in what you want. Now, it just gives you options. If it can't be done, oh well.

Another thing I noticed is on PMs, there isn't the button that says "Save PMs."

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/12 at 6:44 pm

36pt

BOOM!!!

99pt
BOOM!!!!

It works Cat.... I highlighted it... selected the 36pt size then manually typed 99 over the 36

Written By: Tam on 01/03/12 at 6:45 pm

it's fixed now

Thank you Chucky!!!! 8)

That's nuts. There was a thread that Chucky created in order to help get more posts - well over a year ago...
At least you know about it now! LOL

Written By: Mirrorshades on 01/03/12 at 6:55 pm

Another thing I noticed is on PMs, there isn't the button that says "Save PMs."

apparently the mod author didn't update the mod for the latest release, and it's old enough that I can't fake it and make it install anyways.  I imagine it's not a complicated fix, but I'm going to wait and see if someone else is taking the mod over before I spend the time making the changes myself.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/12 at 6:56 pm

Before, where it said font size, you can put in what you want. Now, it just gives you options. If it can't be done, oh well.

is this when posting, or the layout of the entire site?

Written By: Howard on 01/03/12 at 7:17 pm

btw, guests can view the profiles of our members.

Isn't that like intrusion? ???

Written By: Howard on 01/03/12 at 7:18 pm

I'd like to see a huge list.

Written By: Howard on 01/03/12 at 7:21 pm

Chucky,Could you make a hover option like on other messageboards where the mouse hovers over the topic of what we're about to look at before clicking on it?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/12 at 7:25 pm

Chucky,Could you make a hover option like on other messageboards where the mouse hovers over the topic of what we're about to look at before clicking on it?  ???

that's the third time you asked for this Howard  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/12 at 7:38 pm

Here's the great thing about the karma stuff I was initially complaining about.... not only can you read why people give you karma/fudge.... you can actually see which post they gave it to you on.  8) 

and if you're reading a post you can see at the bottom of it how many times it was karma'd or fudged...

cool addition Chucky...

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/12 at 7:41 pm

Here's the great thing about the karma stuff I was initially complaining about.... not only can you read why people give you karma/fudge.... you can actually see which post they gave it to you on.  8) 

and if you're reading a post you can see at the bottom of it how many times it was karma'd or fudged...

cool addition Chucky...

thanks... but it appears it limits my ability to add a karma link to a users profile.

I checked, and there is a mod for this, but it has to be manually added to the theme everyone is using.  It's also kind of boring looking too. Going to try another one tonight,

Written By: Howard on 01/03/12 at 7:56 pm

Sorry about that I'm excited it makes the board much cooler now.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/12 at 8:02 pm

ask and ye shall receive

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/12 at 8:45 pm

Anyone try turning this on in their Profile -> Look and Layout menu: 
Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default.
Pretty juicy...

Written By: Tam on 01/03/12 at 8:53 pm

Pretty juicy...

I just turned mine on and I don't notice a difference.
But then again it could be the theme I am using ;)

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/12 at 8:53 pm

thanks... but it appears it limits my ability to add a karma link to a users profile.

that's alright  it's not that big a deal... i'm just lazy.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/12 at 8:54 pm

I just turned mine on and I don't notice a difference.
But then again it could be the theme I am using ;)

I don't think it is affected by the theme.  If you turn it on and click the B (or hit CONTROL-B) and type, it shows up in boldface

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/12 at 8:54 pm

Pretty juicy...

going to check it out.

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/12 at 9:09 pm

ask and ye shall receive

see.... don't know if I like it....  and it doesn't seem to work on the front page (new topics section)

Written By: Mirrorshades on 01/03/12 at 9:11 pm

see.... don't know if I like it....  and it doesn't seem to work on the front page (new topics section)

you mean the highlighted topics page (the default front page of the site)?  no, it wouldn't work there because the mod wouldn't know about it (though I can make it do that). 

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/12 at 9:11 pm

That's nuts. There was a thread that Chucky created in order to help get more posts - well over a year ago...
At least you know about it now! LOL

then I look and I realize there's probably a reason I never responded to the topics in the first place! LOL

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/03/12 at 9:15 pm

My musical note is missing.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Mine too.  I put up lyrics to a song you needed lyrics for somewhere on this board awhile ago.  I could find the thread if you need me to.

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/12 at 9:17 pm

Mine too.  I put up lyrics to a song you needed lyrics for somewhere on this board awhile ago.  I could find the thread if you need me to.

if you and Cat had been around last night you could've reinstated them yourself! lol 

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/12 at 9:18 pm

I believe you >grin<

I had to do them all by hand, so I'm surprised I didn't miss more of them to be honest.

It's super easy for me to award medals now.  Guess we should have more avatar contests or some kind of contests of some type or something

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/03/12 at 9:25 pm

I believe you >grin<

I had to do them all by hand, so I'm surprised I didn't miss more of them to be honest.

It's super easy for me to award medals now.  Guess we should have more avatar contests or some kind of contests of some type or something

Thank ye and yes...more avatar contest or smething.  I had an awesome (to me) Halloween avatar last year and really missed having a contest.  :D

oh and thanks for updating stuff and for bringing the board back way before it was scheduled to be up!  I couldn't help but obsessively check.  :-[  (No, I don't have much of a life)  :D

Written By: Tam on 01/03/12 at 10:03 pm

I don't think it is affected by the theme.  If you turn it on and click the B (or hit CONTROL-B) and type, it shows up in boldface

oOo I understand now.
8)

*sometimes I am a little slow on the uptake* LOL

Written By: Tam on 01/03/12 at 10:06 pm

ask and ye shall receive

I am not a fan.
It makes the pages more busy than they really need to be.
But of course, that is just my opinion.
;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/03/12 at 10:19 pm

I can haz smilies? 
???

I vote for smilies!

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/12 at 10:21 pm

I can haz smilies? 
???

I vote for smilies!

That might be a tough one to fulfill.  The board software changed how the smiles work, so I have to rewrite that mod entirely.  Not sure I have more time for that right now.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/12 at 11:19 pm

I am not a fan.
;)

I can enable a delay on it, which I think I will.  So you have to leave your mouse over it for a second or so.  That way you don't get a bunch of windows when moving your mouse over the topics.

Written By: Tam on 01/03/12 at 11:21 pm

I can enable a delay on it, which I think I will.  So you have to leave your mouse over it for a second or so.  That way you don't get a bunch of windows when moving your mouse over the topics.

oOo I like that idea.
That way Howard gets what he wants, and the rest of us can either use it or not.
Brilliant!

(I suppose I have said brilliant too much, but there is no other word that comes to mind other than awesome - and that word gets annoying!) ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/12 at 11:48 pm

I am not a fan.
;)

I agree...it gets in the way

Written By: snozberries on 01/04/12 at 12:10 am

Pretty juicy...

I like it... but that defeats "fix" I had for typing in 99pt font .... I do it when I feel the need to go YAY or BOOM  so I guess I can always unclick WYS-whatever....for that post and reset....

I was able to resize an image right in the post... that was AWESOME!!!!!!  no more having to go to photobucket and resize anything but my avatar pics!!!!

Written By: Howard on 01/04/12 at 6:44 am

ask and ye shall receive

Thanks Chucky. Karma.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/04/12 at 6:47 am

I like it because you could see what thread you're looking at before you view it.

Written By: Howard on 01/04/12 at 6:49 am

I am not a fan.
;)

But Tam don't you want to view a thread before you see it completely?  ???

Written By: karen on 01/04/12 at 9:43 am

I usually decide from a combination of title and author whther I want to read a thread or not

Written By: Tam on 01/04/12 at 9:49 am

Me personally Howard, I have always clicked the thread if I want to see it.
So the hover thing is no big deal to me. ;)
But I am glad you like it! 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/12 at 11:34 am

I like it... but that defeats "fix" I had for typing in 99pt font .... I do it when I feel the need to go YAY or BOOM  so I guess I can always unclick WYS-whatever....for that post and reset....

I was able to resize an image right in the post... that was AWESOME!!!!!!  no more having to go to photobucket and resize anything but my avatar pics!!!!

Gonna try.

BOOM!!!!

How about this?

Yup-it works. Thanks, Friend for showing me the obvious.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/04/12 at 12:16 pm

I like it because you could see what thread you're looking at before you view it.

I usually decide from a combination of title and author whther I want to read a thread or not

I just click on it and read the first couple of posts...sometimes it's not the intial thread that's of interest but the subsequent comments that follow....

like...the borrow money for an ipod  thread....who cares about the first post. The stuff that came after was hilarious.  and some of the whiny 90s children posts....nothing about the first post is interesting but the comments WHOOO Doggies!!! Those can be fun!

Written By: snozberries on 01/04/12 at 12:19 pm

Gonna try.

BOOM!!!!

How about this?

Yup-it works. Thanks, Friend for showing me the obvious.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

anytime my friend..... now remember if you switch over to those letters chucky posted that give you an instant edit without all the code you lose the option to auto-fix the point size..... but it's too much of a hassle to get out of the autosetting and back in again so I don't think it'll be a big deal.

Written By: snozberries on 01/04/12 at 1:40 pm

I like how it tells me the people who are online are online in the Who's Online section....redundancy you do amuse me! lol

Who's Online    Pages: 1]  Show    User Time http://www.inthe00s.com/Themes/ProRed2/images/sort_down.gif Action     Online  snozberries  11:38:24 Viewing Who's Online.   Online  CatwomanofV  11:38:21 Viewing the board Playful Penguin Place.   Guest  11:38:13 Viewing the board index of inthe00s.   Guest  11:38:01 Viewing the board More than a decade.   Online  CeramicsFanatic  11:37:15 Logging into the forum.   Online  Danoota&Me  11:37:01 Quoting a post from "Re: Longest Political Thread Ever".   Guest  11:37:00 Viewing the board The 1990's.   Online  Paul  11:36:44 Viewing the board index of inthe00s.   Guest  11:36:42 Viewing the topic What did you want in the 80's but never got?.   Guest  11:36:33 Viewing the topic Haunted Malls.   Guest  11:36:13 Viewing the topic The Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin.   Online  Henk  11:36:06 Viewing unread topics since their last visit.   Guest  11:35:50 Viewing the board Song Lyrics.   Online  *Ash*  11:35:06 Viewing the board Current Politics & Religious Topics.   Guest  11:34:46 Viewing the board index of inthe00s.   Guest  11:34:43 Viewing the topic R.I.P Bill Of Rights.   Guest  11:34:38 Viewing the board index of inthe00s.   Guest  11:34:29 Viewing the board Song Parodies.   Online  Matthias  11:34:28 Viewing the board index of inthe00s.   Guest  11:33:54 Viewing the board index of inthe00s.    

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/12 at 1:48 pm

I like how it tells me the people who are online are online in the Who's Online section....redundancy you do amuse me! lol

Who's Online    Pages: 1]  Show    User Time http://www.inthe00s.com/Themes/ProRed2/images/sort_down.gif Action     Online  snozberries  11:38:24 Viewing Who's Online.   Online  CatwomanofV  11:38:21 Viewing the board Playful Penguin Place.   Guest  11:38:13 Viewing the board index of inthe00s.   Guest  11:38:01 Viewing the board More than a decade.   Online  CeramicsFanatic  11:37:15 Logging into the forum.   Online  Danoota&Me  11:37:01 Quoting a post from "Re: Longest Political Thread Ever".   Guest  11:37:00 Viewing the board The 1990's.   Online  Paul  11:36:44 Viewing the board index of inthe00s.   Guest  11:36:42 Viewing the topic What did you want in the 80's but never got?.   Guest  11:36:33 Viewing the topic Haunted Malls.   Guest  11:36:13 Viewing the topic The Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin.   Online  Henk  11:36:06 Viewing unread topics since their last visit.   Guest  11:35:50 Viewing the board Song Lyrics.   Online  *Ash*  11:35:06 Viewing the board Current Politics & Religious Topics.   Guest  11:34:46 Viewing the board index of inthe00s.   Guest  11:34:43 Viewing the topic R.I.P Bill Of Rights.   Guest  11:34:38 Viewing the board index of inthe00s.   Guest  11:34:29 Viewing the board Song Parodies.   Online  Matthias  11:34:28 Viewing the board index of inthe00s.   Guest  11:33:54 Viewing the board index of inthe00s.  

It ALWAYS did that.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/04/12 at 1:54 pm

It ALWAYS did that.

Cat

yeah but that was old software....you'd think all this new fancy software would be smarter!  ;D

Written By: Tam on 01/04/12 at 3:20 pm

yeah but that was old software....you'd think all this new fancy software would be smarter!  ;D

Top right corner of the who's online page there is a drop down.
It lets you get rid of the guests
;)

Written By: snozberries on 01/04/12 at 3:34 pm

;)

Brilliant!!! Thanks!

Written By: Howard on 01/04/12 at 7:24 pm

Me personally Howard, I have always clicked the thread if I want to see it.
So the hover thing is no big deal to me. ;)
But I am glad you like it! 8)

It just adds something to the site.

Written By: Tam on 01/04/12 at 7:58 pm

It just adds something to the site.

Well then, I am super glad you like it! ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/12 at 4:50 am

It ALWAYS did that.

Cat
But you do not see the browsers any more.

Written By: Howard on 01/05/12 at 6:50 am

;)

How come there wasn't that option from the other board?  ???

Subject:

Written By: Dude111 on 01/05/12 at 8:54 am

Ya VBB has that also Tam,i like it alot cause i can look and see what MEMBERS are logged on (W/o seeing the bloody guests)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/12 at 9:40 am

How come there wasn't that option from the other board?  ???
I believe it is new software involved.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/05/12 at 10:04 am

I like the idea of being able to teleport to someone's house by clicking on their username.  Can that feature be added?  Also, scratch and sniff would be excellent.  If we can't have those, can I at least have the "time machine" option back - where you click on a year and are transported back to that time?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/12 at 12:03 pm

Not missing, but how many Personal Messages is the limit in the Inbox?

Written By: snozberries on 01/05/12 at 12:26 pm

I think it might still be 500 (or close to it)  I had 400 and something and was 80something percent

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/05/12 at 12:28 pm

I looked for a couple minutes, but honestly couldn't find the setting anywhere.  This new software has way too much stuff on it to configure.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/12 at 12:33 pm

I think it might still be 500 (or close to it)  I had 400 and something and was 80something percent
I am below 400 at the moment, but if I do reach 500, I will let you know.

Written By: snozberries on 01/05/12 at 12:36 pm

I am below 400 at the moment, but if I do reach 500, I will let you know.

that's fine... I decided to get a fresh start with the new software so I deleted my pms and now I'm down to 5  ;D

6 messages at 1.2%    8) 

btw... I'm gonna need flashing lights and sirens to alert me to new messages... I never see the number on menu bar.  I realize I need to train myself to check there but apparently it's gonna take a little time.

Written By: Howard on 01/05/12 at 1:51 pm

I believe it is new software involved.

So hopefully now there won't be so many guests.

Written By: Howard on 01/05/12 at 1:52 pm

I like the idea of being able to teleport to someone's house by clicking on their username.  Can that feature be added?  Also, scratch and sniff would be excellent.  If we can't have those, can I at least have the "time machine" option back - where you click on a year and are transported back to that time?

that's a bit too much.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/05/12 at 1:53 pm

I need talking smiles.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/05/12 at 3:18 pm

that's fine... I decided to get a fresh start with the new software so I deleted my pms and now I'm down to 5  ;D

6 messages at 1.2%    8) 

btw... I'm gonna need flashing lights and sirens to alert me to new messages... I never see the number on menu bar.  I realize I need to train myself to check there but apparently it's gonna take a little time.

I think I'm going to mod that so we have something more obvious.  I don't care much for it either.

Written By: snozberries on 01/05/12 at 5:49 pm

I think I'm going to mod that so we have something more obvious.  I don't care much for it either.

I just got notified that I have a new message!!! Thanks Chucky!!!

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/05/12 at 5:53 pm

I believe that's only on one theme at the moment, going to add it to the others momentarily

Written By: snozberries on 01/05/12 at 5:55 pm

I believe that's only on one theme at the moment, going to add it to the others momentarily

It's on the theme I'm using so YAY!!!

Written By: nally on 01/05/12 at 5:59 pm

I miss the little blinking "message icon" telling you when you have a new pm. On the new setup it tells you differently (at least with the default theme), with a number 1 in square brackets after the words "My messages" on that tab.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/05/12 at 6:06 pm

I miss the little blinking "message icon" telling you when you have a new pm. On the new setup it tells you differently (at least with the default theme), with a number 1 in square brackets after the words "My messages" on that tab.

it should give you a pop up window now. 

Written By: nally on 01/05/12 at 6:07 pm

it should give you a pop up window now.

Try sending me a message to see what happens.

Subject:

Written By: Dude111 on 01/06/12 at 1:05 am

Hey Chucky how about adding an Option to NOT FILTER SWEARS,ETC if one isnt bothered by them??

"Leave words uncensored."

Some SMF sites have this option and its useful,especially if ya dont like censoring :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/06/12 at 8:20 am

Hey Chucky how about adding an Option to NOT FILTER SWEARS,ETC if one isnt bothered by them??

Some SMF sites have this option and its useful,especially if ya dont like censoring :)

I could enable it, but I'd rather not

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/12 at 8:31 am

I could enable it, but I'd rather not
I think that children can see this board.

Written By: karen on 01/06/12 at 9:57 am

I think that children can see this board.

My ten-year-old is fascinated by this site.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/12 at 3:07 pm

I don't mind swearing on here, it doesn't bother me.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/06/12 at 6:00 pm

I noticed on polls, the button that lets you see the results before voting is missing.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/06/12 at 6:53 pm

Will you be linking back to the other smilies )like the cat wagging it's tail and others.)  I used them every now and then.

Written By: Tam on 01/06/12 at 10:26 pm

I noticed on polls, the button that lets you see the results before voting is missing.

Cat

Not sure about others but the current avatar contest is set up to not show results until after the poll closes.
That's how I have done them all! ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/12 at 11:51 am

Not sure about others but the current avatar contest is set up to not show results until after the poll closes.
That's how I have done them all! ;)

I know that, but on MY polls, I set it up so people can see the results before they post.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/07/12 at 2:55 pm

Will you be linking back to the other smilies )like the cat wagging it's tail and others.)  I used them every now and then.

I used to like those smilies.

Written By: Midas on 01/07/12 at 2:56 pm

Where do I change my theme colour?  I can't find it  :-[  My eyes don't do too well with the default.  I had the cool blue one before the board mod.

I'm in the Top 5 of most smited.  Feel the love, bishes!  :D

Written By: snozberries on 01/07/12 at 2:58 pm

Where do I change my theme colour?  I can't find it  :-[  My eyes don't do too well with the default.  I had the cool blue one before the board mod.

go to profile.... click look/layout....the first option on that page should say current theme then in  ( )  change. 
I'm using Pro Red....or whatever it is.

Written By: Midas on 01/07/12 at 3:08 pm

go to profile.... click look/layout....the first option on that page should say current theme then in  ( )  change. 
I'm using Pro Red....or whatever it is.

Meh...it's a little better, I guess.  I'll have to figure out which one works best for me.  I prefer darker backgrounds.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/07/12 at 7:22 pm

Meh...it's a little better, I guess.  I'll have to figure out which one works best for me.  I prefer darker backgrounds.

there's a thread for new themes.  I will install a couple more themes once we identify a couple worth installing.  The red one has some issues with it, that I either need to fix or replace it with something else.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/08/12 at 12:11 am

One minor change I've noticed since the upgrade - it appears that long paginated threads (five pages and over) now only display a link the very last page.  At one point, they used to have links for the last two pages, not just the last page, of the thread.  For example, the 2010s board presently shows:

"Biggest Loser Season 12 & now season 13! « 1 2 3 4 »"
"Hooter's Magazine « 1 2 3 ... 5 »"

If it's been a few days (and/or if a thread gone on to produce a new page), it used to be very easy for me to tell which pages I need to open in new tabs. 

For the "Biggest Loser" example, if "3" is a viewed link, and "4" isn't, it's easy to pop open tabs by middle-clicking on the links of pages 3 and 4.  Two mouse clicks, great!

For the "Hooters" thread, if "5" is a new link, I have to left-click on "page 5" of the thread, and then from that page, left-click on "page 3" (which I know I've already seen), in order to middle-click in order to open two new tabs for pages 4 (some viewed content, some new), and page 5 (new).  Four mouse clicks, and two mouse movements, and then a fifth click "back" to return to the main board.

I think the old behavior at the top level for each board was to display at least the two (or three?) earliest and two (not just one) of the most recent pages, like so:
"Hooter's Magazine « 1 2 ... 4 5 »", which made it much easier to pop open the two required tabs for pages 4 (some viewed content, some new), and 5 (new content) of the thread.

This is a really minor annoyance, but if this behavior is configurable, please consider tweaking.  (If not, please disregard.)

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/08/12 at 12:25 am

Did we just lose our unread topics?

I'm pretty sure this data did survive the upgrade (I had four or five old threads I'd kept marked as unread through my "catch-up run" through every old thread earlier this year, and they were still marked as unread) but as of tonight, I appear to have 1274 pages, or over 25600 threads to catch up on.  Even threads to which I've actually posted are showing up as unread.

I spent a few months going through all the long-dead threads and was able to answer a few long-forgotten questions now and then, but I'm really not looking forward to doing it again.  (Especially since, on an average week, there are 100+ "updated" threads whose "updates" consist of single-word replies by someone who already has half a million posts :)  I'm OK with mindlessly opening 100 post-count-inflation threads, one night per week, and closing the browser to mark them as read, but I'm really not looking forward to doing 400-500 a day for the next two months... again.  Is there a "mark all threads as read" button?  If so, I'd happily punch it and move on.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/08/12 at 11:18 am

One minor change I've noticed since the upgrade - it appears that long paginated threads (five pages and over) now only display a link the very last page.  At one point, they used to have links for the last two pages, not just the last page, of the thread.  For example, the 2010s board presently shows:

"Biggest Loser Season 12 & now season 13! « 1 2 3 4 »"
"Hooter's Magazine « 1 2 3 ... 5 »"

If it's been a few days (and/or if a thread gone on to produce a new page), it used to be very easy for me to tell which pages I need to open in new tabs. 

For the "Biggest Loser" example, if "3" is a viewed link, and "4" isn't, it's easy to pop open tabs by middle-clicking on the links of pages 3 and 4.  Two mouse clicks, great!

For the "Hooters" thread, if "5" is a new link, I have to left-click on "page 5" of the thread, and then from that page, left-click on "page 3" (which I know I've already seen), in order to middle-click in order to open two new tabs for pages 4 (some viewed content, some new), and page 5 (new).  Four mouse clicks, and two mouse movements, and then a fifth click "back" to return to the main board.

I think the old behavior at the top level for each board was to display at least the two (or three?) earliest and two (not just one) of the most recent pages, like so:
"Hooter's Magazine « 1 2 ... 4 5 »", which made it much easier to pop open the two required tabs for pages 4 (some viewed content, some new), and 5 (new content) of the thread.

This is a really minor annoyance, but if this behavior is configurable, please consider tweaking.  (If not, please disregard.)

click on the ... in between the numbers and it'll give you the full list of page numbers.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/08/12 at 11:19 am

Did we just lose our unread topics?

I'm pretty sure this data did survive the upgrade (I had four or five old threads I'd kept marked as unread through my "catch-up run" through every old thread earlier this year, and they were still marked as unread) but as of tonight, I appear to have 1274 pages, or over 25600 threads to catch up on.  Even threads to which I've actually posted are showing up as unread.

I spent a few months going through all the long-dead threads and was able to answer a few long-forgotten questions now and then, but I'm really not looking forward to doing it again.  (Especially since, on an average week, there are 100+ "updated" threads whose "updates" consist of single-word replies by someone who already has half a million posts :)  I'm OK with mindlessly opening 100 post-count-inflation threads, one night per week, and closing the browser to mark them as read, but I'm really not looking forward to doing 400-500 a day for the next two months... again.  Is there a "mark all threads as read" button?  If so, I'd happily punch it and move on.

I seem to have the same number of unread threads as I did before... so not sure if it's widespread problem or just something you're experiencing. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/08/12 at 11:52 pm

I want more Smilies, Chucker!

http://www.yodigital.es/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/roy-batty.jpg

Written By: Howard on 01/09/12 at 6:13 am

I agree Max.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/09/12 at 9:22 am

Sadly I've got to rewrite the mod I made for that from scratch.  It's on my short list of things I need to work on.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/12 at 7:19 pm

Hey Tam how about a talking introduction welcoming you to Decades? ???

Written By: Tam on 01/09/12 at 9:13 pm

Hey Tam how about a talking introduction welcoming you to Decades? ???

Sorry Howard - that is definitely not possible.
Nice idea though! ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/12 at 10:34 pm

Sadly I've got to rewrite the mod I made for that from scratch.  It's on my short list of things I need to work on.

No hurry, just as long as I know they're coming back!
:)

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/09/12 at 11:31 pm

I seem to have the same number of unread threads as I did before... so not sure if it's widespread problem or just something you're experiencing.

Just to be really clear on the definition of "unread threads":

The link to recent unread threads at http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread is reasonably short (4 pages of threads going back to about 24 hours ago), but isn't what I'm talking about.

If all unread at http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread;all is less than 1250ish pages that go back to 2006, it's just me.  (Sucks to be me, but the good news is that at least it's not widespread.)

Written By: Tam on 01/10/12 at 12:09 am

Just to be really clear on the definition of "unread threads":

The link to recent unread threads at http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread is reasonably short (4 pages of threads going back to about 24 hours ago), but isn't what I'm talking about.

If all unread at http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread;all is less than 1250ish pages that go back to 2006, it's just me.  (Sucks to be me, but the good news is that at least it's not widespread.)

My unread is 10 pages... mind you, I click it and clear it almost once a week. Prior to Christmas I wasn't around here a lot other than for Dexter, and so when I cleared it that time, I had something ridiculous like 50+ pages. ;)

Subject:

Written By: Dude111 on 01/10/12 at 12:20 am

Well it could be possible Tam,i have a VOICE CHATROOM we could all meet in and welcome you there :) (A camera can be used also (but i wouldnt use one))

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/10/12 at 12:35 am

My unread is 10 pages... mind you, I click it and clear it almost once a week. Prior to Christmas I wasn't around here a lot other than for Dexter, and so when I cleared it that time, I had something ridiculous like 50+ pages. ;)

Aight, it looks like it's just me.  Hopefully it's not widespread.  (I found a few gems going through all 25000 threads last summer, but I ain't doing it again :)

Written By: Henk on 01/10/12 at 5:12 am

How about 2052 pages..? Anyone...? ::)

Mind you - I have not used this option in Lord knows how long. Hasn't been working properly for me since early 2007 (when I deleted my account and rejoined shortly after). (It was 2007, right..?). Maybe Tam remembers our discussion - she couldn't figure out why I was having trouble with it, and I decided to ignore it later on. Like I said: not an option I was using a lot anyway.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/12 at 6:19 am

Nice idea though! ;)

It's ok just a thought, thanks anyway Tam.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/12 at 6:21 am

Well it could be possible Tam,i have a VOICE CHATROOM we could all meet in and welcome you there :) (A camera can be used also (but i wouldnt use one))

What do you mean by camera? You mean like a computer camera? ???

Subject:

Written By: Dude111 on 01/10/12 at 7:06 am

Indeed,you can send live video and voice (I would be too scared to ever send my picture over the net though i think. (I AM VERY PRIVATE))

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/10/12 at 11:13 am

How about 2052 pages..? Anyone...? ::)

Mind you - I have not used this option in Lord knows how long. Hasn't been working properly for me since early 2007 (when I deleted my account and rejoined shortly after). (It was 2007, right..?). Maybe Tam remembers our discussion - she couldn't figure out why I was having trouble with it, and I decided to ignore it later on. Like I said: not an option I was using a lot anyway.

I never use it myself, either.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/10/12 at 7:15 pm

Indeed,you can send live video and voice (I would be too scared to ever send my picture over the net though i think. (I AM VERY PRIVATE))

That could work.

Written By: Henk on 01/11/12 at 9:54 am

Just to clear things up: I wasn't cross with Tam or anything. :)

The problem was that both the "unread since last visit"  and "all unread" options gave the same result (only showing the unread topics since last visit).

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/12 at 1:03 pm

Just to clear things up: I wasn't cross with Tam or anything. :)

The problem was that both the "unread since last visit"  and "all unread" options gave the same result (only showing the unread topics since last visit).

not for me.... unread since last post shows a page and all uread shows two pages...  :-\\

Written By: Henk on 01/11/12 at 1:33 pm

not for me.... unread since last post shows a page and all uread shows two pages...  :-\\

I was talking about a problem I was experiencing back in 2007. Neither Tam nor Chucky could figure out what was wrong (I was the only one on the boards with this problem). I haven't been using the option ever since, so I've no idea if it ever was fixed. But at least now it's working again the way it should (2053 pages of unread topics to go... ;D )

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/12 at 3:30 pm

I'm not sure what the issue is but I cannot post from my iPad.  I can on my iPhone no problem but the iPad will not let me post any replys or PMs.  >:(

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/11/12 at 6:42 pm

I'm not sure what the issue is but I cannot post from my iPad.  I can on my iPhone no problem but the iPad will not let me post any replys or PMs.  >:(

can you describe the behavior? what happens when you click on the reply button?  do you get a form or an error or something?  I've been ignoring the iPad stuff, but apparently people really use the silly things.

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/12 at 9:08 pm

can you describe the behavior? what happens when you click on the reply button?  do you get a form or an error or something?  I've been ignoring the iPad stuff, but apparently people really use the silly things.

Ha ha. 

It opens fine but the keyboard won't pop up. I can't get a cursor in the field where I want to write.

The only place I can write is the title bar of said thread.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/11/12 at 10:04 pm

Ha ha. 

It opens fine but the keyboard won't pop up. I can't get a cursor in the field where I want to write.

The only place I can write is the title bar of said thread.

Someone on the support forum mentioned they had the problem, but would hit refresh and it would go away.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/12/12 at 12:56 am

(What's the URL for "unread since last post"?  Do you actually open every thread?  Every. Single. Thread in the PPP, whether you physically read the resulting pages or not?)

I just reproduced the problem tonight.

A couple of days ago, I thought I'd reset myself by marking all threads unread. (at /index.php?action=markasread;sa=all;)

Tonight: my unread-all link reads six pages, including threads that I've not only read, but replied to and re-read my own reply.

The link to unread;all remains at six pages despite the fact that Unread replies and recent unread topics (yes, to get recent-unread-topics down to zero in order to enable the unread-all link to appear took four pages of mouseclicks on postwhoring threads, to get all pages viewed in the interval between my last mouseclick and Philip Eno's most recent post) are both clear and empty.

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/12 at 1:58 am

Foo-  at the top of the screen under my user name I always click this
Show new replies to your posts.

I never click
Show unread posts since last visit.

because usually thats where all those pesky games I don't post in (any longer) appear...  now that I have the option to ignore the games I used to post in I do open every thread that is a response of the thread I posted in.

I always look at the front page for new posts.  Sometimes I miss new posts because they get buried quickly but if it's something of interest I have a few friends who will guide me to the threads that I might find interesting but seemed to have missed  :)

Subject: chucky- tried refresh doesn't work. Can only type here on iPad :-(

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/12 at 2:57 am

Someone on the support forum mentioned they had the problem, but would hit refresh and it would go away.

Subject: Re: chucky- tried refresh doesn't work. Can only type here on iPad :-(

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/12 at 8:46 am

Notice the title change on the above post
I made that via iPad this post I'm making via my iPhone.
That post I couldn't type in the reply field, even after hitting refresh. This one I can.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/12/12 at 9:33 am

Notice the title change on the above post
I made that via iPad this post I'm making via my iPhone.
That post I couldn't type in the reply field, even after hitting refresh. This one I can.

very very odd

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/12 at 10:05 am

very very odd

It's not a big deal I sways have my phone....just mildly annoying when trying to save the battery on the phone.

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/12/12 at 10:52 am

It's not a big deal I sways have my phone....just mildly annoying when trying to save the battery on the phone.

I post from my iPad all the time and never have a problem (other than not being able to post YouTube links and photos bt that is user error  ;D)

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/12 at 12:20 pm

I post from my iPad all the time and never have a problem (other than not being able to post YouTube links and photos bt that is user error  ;D)
It's just since the update carol my iPad doesn't like it.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/12 at 4:56 pm

It's just since the update carol my iPad doesn't like it.  ;D

Could it be that your iPad doesn't like the theme you are using?

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/12 at 5:09 pm

Could it be that your iPad doesn't like the theme you are using?

Cat

I tried using the default theme it wouldnt work on that either

Written By: snozberries on 01/13/12 at 1:52 am

Howards stupid pop up to tell you what's in the thread pops up on my stupid phone obscuring all the other stupid threads so all I can see I'd howards stupid pop up box showing me the first post in a thread I'm not trying to read and blocking the other threads im trying to access. Did I mention it was stupid.  >:( >:(

Written By: whistledog on 01/13/12 at 7:56 am

This has probably been asked already, but where is the search box?

Written By: Henk on 01/13/12 at 8:05 am

I still have mine. :-\\ I think you may have to expand the header (click the "+" in the top right corner). ;)

Written By: karen on 01/13/12 at 9:00 am

I have a Search tab located between Arcade and Profile

Written By: karen on 01/13/12 at 9:00 am

I still have mine. :-\\ I think you may have to expand the header (click the "+" in the top right corner). ;)

Or that works

Written By: Henk on 01/13/12 at 9:27 am

So do I, now that you mention it. Hadn't noticed that before.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/13/12 at 12:11 pm

Howards stupid pop up to tell you what's in the thread pops up on my stupid phone obscuring all the other stupid threads so all I can see I'd howards stupid pop up box showing me the first post in a thread I'm not trying to read and blocking the other threads im trying to access. Did I mention it was stupid.  >:( >:(

don't hold back, let us know what you really think

Written By: snozberries on 01/13/12 at 12:17 pm

don't hold back, let us know what you really think

okay.... I will  :D 

It was just frustrating trying to look at something this morning. I try not to hover over the thread link because I don't want to see the pop ups but my finger slipped and once the pop up was there I couldn't get it to disappear. 

Written By: wildcard on 01/13/12 at 12:28 pm

There has been nothing I have read from a pop up.  I find it annoying, as well harder to get where I want.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/12 at 3:21 pm

How did that happen?  ???

Written By: Howard on 01/13/12 at 3:22 pm

top right corner.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/13/12 at 11:47 pm

I never click
Show unread posts since last visit.

because usually thats where all those pesky games I don't post in (any longer) appear...  now that I have the option to ignore the games I used to post in I do open every thread that is a response of the thread I posted in.

Ah, yes.  That's the bug I'm reporting.  The "Show new replies to your posts" works, and I use it, but I'm using all unread posts, which is more than just all posts since last visit

I worry about the one or two threads I might miss while wading through the threadgames.  Once a week, I used to spend a minute or two mindlessly popping open every one of those threads in a separate tab, and pausing only for the one or two "content" threads I might have missed over the course of the week.  (There's no feeling quite like seeing the prompt "You are about to close 153 tabs..." and clicking "yes" :)

The problem is that if I find something of interest that I can't reply to immediately, I used to be able to mark it as unread for a few days/weeks/months/years until I found the answer to it.  (It would always show up on all-unread-posts.)  I'll have to see if I can preserve such threads on http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread the way I used to preserve them on http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread;all (all unread posts regardless of age, which is broken at the moment).

Open question:  Is the intended behavior of http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread supposed to be "all unread since last visit", which would help, or is it "recent unread posts" (e.g. only 12-24 hours, which barely covers half a day's worth of gamethread noise?)

I can reproduce the bug:

Try this: Go to a random board, click on a random old thread that's been inactive for a few months and in which you've bever posted, and mark it as unread.  (I used this one, to which no members have replied).

When you go back to the board, the "new" icon (http://www.inthe00s.com/Themes/core/images/english/new.gif) appears beside the thread: (as of this writing, 80s, page 5.)

But the thread never appears on either http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread or http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread;all.  (If I test this on a thread where I have replied, it does show up in http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unreadreplies "unread-replies", but if it's a thread that I haven't replied to, it never shows up does not show up as unread except on the back pages of 80s board, where I'll never see it.)

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/14/12 at 8:24 am

Ah, yes.  That's the bug I'm reporting.  The "Show new replies to your posts" works, and I use it, but I'm using all unread posts, which is more than just all posts since last visit

you're clicking on this one (Show unread posts since last visit.):
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread

maybe you need this one?:
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0

I can add the second link into the software and call it something else like "Show all unread posts."

Written By: Dagwood on 01/14/12 at 11:27 am

I am not sure if I am getting PM's anymore.  I get notifications that my score in the arcade has been beat in my email but when I check pm's they aren't there.  Do those no longer come by pm?

Could someone send me a pm so I can see if I am getting them?

Thanks. :)

Written By: karen on 01/14/12 at 11:28 am

^ done

Written By: Dagwood on 01/14/12 at 11:30 am

^ Thanks, it worked. :)  I replied so hopefully it works for you, too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/12 at 2:23 pm

Hey Chucky, when I try to do a search, I am STILL getting:

An Error Has Occurred!

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/12 at 2:32 pm

An Error Has Occurred!

Cat
I just performed a search and it showed results, I am using Google Chrome and I just double checked on Firefox and both worked well.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/15/12 at 4:33 pm

An Error Has Occurred!

Try it now

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/12 at 4:39 pm

Try it now

Working now. Thanks, Chucky.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 01/15/12 at 6:40 pm

I do not have a plus

or a search tab in that area.

This new software sucks  >:(

:D j/k

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/15/12 at 8:31 pm

you're clicking on this one (Show unread posts since last visit.):
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread

maybe you need this one?:
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0

I can add the second link into the software and call it something else like "Show all unread posts."

Nope, I'm not clicking on "action=unread".  I've been using the second one "action=unread;all;start=0" via history/bookmark as well as when the board presents it from me.  Perhaps the updated version doesn't appreciate three;arguments;supplied in the URL?  Or perhaps it's account-specific and my account was borked?

As a test, I just clicked on that second link ( http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0 ) - and saw ~7 pages of links going back to N-n-n-n-nineteen (Jan 14, 2012, 01:21:20 am).  I read that post a few hours ago when I first showed up tonight. 

To make sure, I went to to page 7 ( http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=120 ) and clicked every link (covering approx. 1:21-2:14 am Jan 14 2012, all by a certain Philip Eno :) - and waited about 5 minutes before posting this message. 

Reloading ( http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0 ) reports the same 7 pages of "unread" threads.  And page 7 (start=120) of 7 shows the threads I opened 5 minutes ago as "unread".  Tonight I won't hit the "mark all messages as read" link, and when I get back tomorrow or Tuesday evening, I expect to have 10-12 pages of "unread" messages.

The test thread I left unread from a couple of days ago still shows up as "new" if I go to page 5 of the 80s board, but it's already "too old" to appear as "action=unread;all;start=0".

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/15/12 at 8:40 pm

I do not have a plus

or a search tab in that area.

I think it's missing on the theme you are using, which is one of the reasons I wanted to limit the number of themes I have.

Written By: Tam on 01/15/12 at 10:17 pm

Jas - you are using ProRed theme...
There isn't a search box. Instead it is in the tabs. To the right of Arcade. ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/15/12 at 10:29 pm

Nope, I'm not clicking on "action=unread".  I've been using the second one "action=unread;all;start=0" via history/bookmark as well as when the board presents it from me.  Perhaps the updated version doesn't appreciate three;arguments;supplied in the URL?  Or perhaps it's account-specific and my account was borked?

As a test, I just clicked on that second link ( http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0 ) - and saw ~7 pages of links going back to N-n-n-n-nineteen (Jan 14, 2012, 01:21:20 am).  I read that post a few hours ago when I first showed up tonight. 

To make sure, I went to to page 7 ( http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=120 ) and clicked every link (covering approx. 1:21-2:14 am Jan 14 2012, all by a certain Philip Eno :) - and waited about 5 minutes before posting this message. 

Reloading ( http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0 ) reports the same 7 pages of "unread" threads.  And page 7 (start=120) of 7 shows the threads I opened 5 minutes ago as "unread".  Tonight I won't hit the "mark all messages as read" link, and when I get back tomorrow or Tuesday evening, I expect to have 10-12 pages of "unread" messages.

The test thread I left unread from a couple of days ago still shows up as "new" if I go to page 5 of the 80s board, but it's already "too old" to appear as "action=unread;all;start=0".

I don't know what to make of it at this point.  I didn't see any bug reports on the support forum, so I assume it works like it was designed to.  It might be a bug with your profile, but I'm not certain.

Written By: nally on 01/15/12 at 11:53 pm

An Error Has Occurred!

Cat

Try it now

Working now. Thanks, Chucky.

Cat

Doesn't work for me. :(

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/16/12 at 8:01 am

Doesn't work for me. :(

I just added it to everyone's permissions, hopefully that covers yours as well.

Subject:

Written By: Dude111 on 01/16/12 at 9:22 am

This new software sucks

Oh my,i dunno how you can say that... I THINK ITS AWESOME!!

I was worried chucky wouldnt have this skin im using available and things wouldnt look good for me AND IM THANKFULL HE DID INSTALL IT :)

Thank you so much Chucky!!

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/16/12 at 1:19 pm

Oh my,i dunno how you can say that... I THINK ITS AWESOME!!

I was worried chucky wouldnt have this skin im using available and things wouldnt look good for me AND IM THANKFULL HE DID INSTALL IT :)

Thank you so much Chucky!!

he did say j/k at the end...

at some point I am going to cut back on the themes, so people should check them out before I cull the unused ones.

Written By: nally on 01/16/12 at 2:32 pm

I just added it to everyone's permissions, hopefully that covers yours as well.

It does. I just tested it and it works. O0

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/16/12 at 10:08 pm

I don't know what to make of it at this point.  I didn't see any bug reports on the support forum, so I assume it works like it was designed to.  It might be a bug with your profile, but I'm not certain.

Bummer.  I'd like to see if anyone else here is having the same issue (whether they know it or not ;).  I can vouch for the fact that it wasn't like this before the upgrade.

Written By: Tam on 01/16/12 at 10:37 pm

Bummer.  I'd like to see if anyone else here is having the same issue (whether they know it or not ;).  I can vouch for the fact that it wasn't like this before the upgrade.

Foo?

You lost me in your explanations but I think I 'might' have an idea of what you are talking about.

The old software, you could click "show unread posts since last visit" and it would take you to say 7+ pages. Then on that page, there was another link at the bottom I think that said something to the effect of "show ALL unread topics" and when you clik that, you would get something insane like 50+ pages.

Is this what you are talking about?

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/16/12 at 11:30 pm

Foo?

You lost me in your explanations but I think I 'might' have an idea of what you are talking about.

The old software, you could click "show unread posts since last visit" and it would take you to say 7+ pages. Then on that page, there was another link at the bottom I think that said something to the effect of "show ALL unread topics" and when you clik that, you would get something insane like 50+ pages.

Is this what you are talking about?

Exactly what I'm talking about! 

If you cleaned out "unread since last visit" by reading all the posts, you got a screen that displayed the other link to this (the ALL unread topics link).  Right now (for my account) it's at 8 pages because I marked everything as read a week or so ago.  After the transition to the new software, it was 5-6 pages, which I cleared out (down to three or four ancient rheads) by "reading" all the other threads.  On or about January 8, it mysteriously went to 1270+ pages, or 25000+ threads.

Both pages report unread threads with the same URL of the form: topic=topicnumber.postnumber;topicseen.  The "50+ pages" URL (http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread;all), at least on my account, still ignores the fact that I've read posts.  (Take a look at the last unread post on your account, note its date/time, read it, and then see if it's still marked as unread on action=unread;all)  The "recent unread posts" (http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread) link correctly accounts for the posts I've read, but doesn't go far back enough in time (I have two pages, going back to Jan 15, 06:51) is too "recent" to be of use unless I visit every 24-36? hours.

Written By: Tam on 01/17/12 at 3:22 pm

Exactly what I'm talking about! 

If you cleaned out "unread since last visit" by reading all the posts, you got a screen that displayed the other link to this (the ALL unread topics link).  Right now (for my account) it's at 8 pages because I marked everything as read a week or so ago.  After the transition to the new software, it was 5-6 pages, which I cleared out (down to three or four ancient rheads) by "reading" all the other threads.  On or about January 8, it mysteriously went to 1270+ pages, or 25000+ threads.

Both pages report unread threads with the same URL of the form: topic=topicnumber.postnumber;topicseen.  The "50+ pages" URL (http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread;all), at least on my account, still ignores the fact that I've read posts.  (Take a look at the last unread post on your account, note its date/time, read it, and then see if it's still marked as unread on action=unread;all)  The "recent unread posts" (http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=unread) link correctly accounts for the posts I've read, but doesn't go far back enough in time (I have two pages, going back to Jan 15, 06:51) is too "recent" to be of use unless I visit every 24-36? hours.

Right.
Mine is doing the same thing as yours and only dates back to January 4th, 2012.
Looks like there isn't anything to be done for it, since the new software is the culprit.
It looks like it has been designed this way in the new software, in order to alleviate the load on the servers. (At least reading up on it seems to speculate this).

I notice you are using the Core Theme - you have the button for "All unread posts". I am using ProRed and I do not have the link at all. No worries for me though. I didn't use it so much before anyway. ;)

Sorry you are frustrated that it has changed. I'll give you karma to ease some of that frustration! ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/19/12 at 3:19 am

Looks like there isn't anything to be done for it, since the new software is the culprit.
It looks like it has been designed this way in the new software, in order to alleviate the load on the servers. (At least reading up on it seems to speculate this).

Thanks - and that design decision isn't entirely crazy.  One thing I remember from Before The Switch was that all-unread-posts  (action=unread;all) used to take a long time (30+ seconds) to load.

If the database is actually locked during that period, I can see how a board with 200+ active users posting once every couple of days could lead to 100+ active threads every day.  And I can see how that might not scale.  We have the same number of threads, and although it's not exactly the same number of users or amount of actual content, as far as the server is concerned, it's almost certainly the same scaling problem.  As long as the site owner's on record as being OK with it (and he is), I'll live with it.  His site, his rules, and my apologies to anyone whose content I miss from this day forward.

Right now, my "unread;all" is now 10 pages, and although it ignores threads I've read, it's still accurate in that it goes as far back as Jan 14, which was my last reset.  That suggests one workaround is to skip the front pages of each message board (which I usually open in tabs) and just go through the entire unread;all, skip over the sp^H^Hthose threads, and just read every thread in sequence.  Hit "reload", pop open any threads Ph^H^Hthat may have opened in the past couple of minutes, mark all as read, and start working through the stack of tabs.  That's exactly the same amount of eyestrain ('real thread or just post count inflation'), but fewer mouse clicks (because I don't have to open the abandoned post-inflation threads in order to mark them as read) over the long term.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/19/12 at 10:14 am

Thanks - and that design decision isn't entirely crazy.  One thing I remember from Before The Switch was that all-unread-posts  (action=unread;all) used to take a long time (30+ seconds) to load.

If the database is actually locked during that period, I can see how a board with 200+ active users posting once every couple of days could lead to 100+ active threads every day.  And I can see how that might not scale.  We have the same number of threads, and although it's not exactly the same number of users or amount of actual content, as far as the server is concerned, it's almost certainly the same scaling problem.  As long as the site owner's on record as being OK with it (and he is), I'll live with it.  His site, his rules, and my apologies to anyone whose content I miss from this day forward.

it's not so much that I'm OK with it, as it is that I'd have to investigate how to get around it if someone hasn't already coded a solution for it.  Does the ignore threads feature work in that unread view you are looking at?  It might make things a bit easier for you.

Written By: Tam on 01/19/12 at 2:15 pm

it's not so much that I'm OK with it, as it is that I'd have to investigate how to get around it if someone hasn't already coded a solution for it.  Does the ignore threads feature work in that unread view you are looking at?  It might make things a bit easier for you.

I didn't see that anyone made reference to a coded solution when I was researching it Chucky. Although I am sure it can be done.

Question: Once you have ignored a thread, in order to have it updating in your list again, do you have to go to said thread and un-ignore it? I haven't gone looking - just asking in case someone else has the inclination to do so in the future. ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/19/12 at 2:18 pm

I didn't see that anyone made reference to a coded solution when I was researching it Chucky. Although I am sure it can be done.

Question: Once you have ignored a thread, in order to have it updating in your list again, do you have to go to said thread and un-ignore it? I haven't gone looking - just asking in case someone else has the inclination to do so in the future. ;)

there's a setting somewhere in your profile to show the unsubscribed threads

Written By: Tam on 01/19/12 at 2:24 pm

there's a setting somewhere in your profile to show the unsubscribed threads

Got it.

Right side of your profile under Notifications:

Ignore Boards Options
Ignore Topics Options

Perfect!
Thanks Chucky!

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/20/12 at 9:11 pm

I might give that a try - although it may come with scalability issues of its own.  (I can see tens of thousands of ignored threads over the next few years.)  Thanks for looking!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/21/12 at 10:35 am

I think you should have an avatar contest for... penguins, then one for cats, one for dogs, one for frogs, one for, I dunno cows and pigs and moose...  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/12 at 11:28 am

I think you should have an avatar contest for... penguins, then one for cats, one for dogs, one for frogs, one for, I dunno cows and pigs and moose...  ;D

I agree to all of those except frogs and mice.....oooh that says moose!  ;D

Written By: wildcard on 01/21/12 at 11:43 am

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc153/rocksannwastaken/frogs/forsnoz.jpg 

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/21/12 at 3:26 pm

ya gotta remember that someone has to make the icons for all these silly things too >grin<

With the release next month of another movie by the same write who gave us Totoro (Hayao Miyazaki), I might bump the Totoro contest up to celebrate the movie The Secret World of Arrietty

Written By: Tam on 01/21/12 at 3:33 pm

ya gotta remember that someone has to make the icons for all these silly things too >grin<

With the release next month of another movie by the same write who gave us Totoro (Hayao Miyazaki), I might bump the Totoro contest up to celebrate the movie The Secret World of Arrietty

Just let me know when Chucky and I will be all over it for you.
Of course, you will have to add information for those of us who know nothing about it ;)

Written By: Howard on 01/21/12 at 7:26 pm

and gerbils.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/12 at 7:23 am

...or gophers, not to mention angry ones?

Written By: Howard on 01/22/12 at 1:10 pm

...or gophers, not to mention angry ones?

you mean the photo of one?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/12 at 1:13 pm

you mean the photo of one?  ???
Filmed footage!

Written By: Howard on 01/22/12 at 1:20 pm

Filmed footage!

I think it's on youtube.

Written By: karen on 02/08/12 at 5:53 pm

Why is there a time limit between searches?

I want to find a particular thread.  The first search terms I used found nothing so I tried a diiferent search term but was told I only searched for something 20 seconds ago and I needed to wait a while

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/08/12 at 6:27 pm

Why is there a time limit between searches?

I want to find a particular thread.  The first search terms I used found nothing so I tried a diiferent search term but was told I only searched for something 20 seconds ago and I needed to wait a while

Search can be pretty heavy on the database and the server, so if people hit it a lot it slows down everything.  This way it lets the server finish up anything it might have delayed while trying to execute the search request.  I used to have it disabled completely because the old software was really bad on the process time. 

Written By: Howard on 02/08/12 at 7:08 pm

Hey Chucky, did you get rid of the hover option?  ???

Written By: karen on 02/09/12 at 11:22 am

Hey Chucky, did you get rid of the hover option?  ???

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=45521.0

Written By: Howard on 02/09/12 at 1:48 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=45521.0

Thanks Karen.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/14/12 at 7:54 pm

Any news on the smilies front?
???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/08/12 at 2:30 pm

Is there a stats board for the arcade? I know there used to be at one point.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/08/12 at 3:08 pm

who's in charge of where were supposed to be? I think we're at 698 not at 715.

Written By: snozberries on 04/08/12 at 3:20 pm

who's in charge of where were supposed to be? I think we're at 698 not at 715.

the people at the big boards website

Written By: nally on 04/08/12 at 7:34 pm

Is there a stats board for the arcade? I know there used to be at one point.

Cat

There is: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=stats

It's just a little hard to get to. On the top of the Arcade, there is a heading that has links to "Arcade" and "Arena"; you have to use a small scroll bar (situated to the far right of those links) and scroll down as far as you can; you'll see the "Statistics" link. Don't know why it was designed like that... :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/09/12 at 11:09 am

There is: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=arcade;sa=stats

It's just a little hard to get to. On the top of the Arcade, there is a heading that has links to "Arcade" and "Arena"; you have to use a small scroll bar (situated to the far right of those links) and scroll down as far as you can; you'll see the "Statistics" link. Don't know why it was designed like that... :-\\

Thanks.

Cat

Written By: nally on 04/09/12 at 2:04 pm

Thanks.

Cat

No prob. :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/03/12 at 10:06 pm

Yay, Patty! Those are awesome!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...