inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: YouTube secure mode

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/10/14 at 11:11 pm

I think this is called Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure.    Anyway, why is Youtube adding the "s" and how do I get rid of it, other than manually deleting it after the fact?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ncVyxQRw70

Subject: Re: YouTube secure mode

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/11/14 at 3:52 am

I think this is called Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure.    Anyway, why is Youtube adding the "s" and how do I get rid of it, other than manually deleting it after the fact?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ncVyxQRw70

The HTTPS-everywhere movement is a feature, not a bug.  In the case of YouTube, it means that Google is spending money in the form of cooling datacenters stuffed with countless racks of power-hungry chips that now do nothing more than encrypt countless petabytes of cat videos, and it's doing so as a matter of principle.

NSA, FSB, GCHQ, PLA, CSE, and every other spy agency on the planet can compromise every hop between your router and Google's datacenters and if they succeed, all they should be able to know is that you're visiting YouTube, but not what you're looking for or what you're actually watching.  What you search for when you're there and what videos you actually watch is information that ought to be between you and Google, nobody else.  Spies who want to know anything more should either pay for it by setting up ad campaigns under the cover of fake advertising agencies and buying the resulting analytics data and trying to catch a few fish out of it, or actually getting off their asses, risking their own exposure in the process, and attempting to directly compromise Google's infrastructure.  (HTTPS is itself breakable, but it's not breakable without a certain amount of expensive hardware.  Documents from REDACTED that were leaked by REDACTED suggest that it's still too expensive for REDACTED to break every HTTPS transaction that ever took place in real time and record everything you say, click on, or type into a web form forever, which is why REDACTED records only the most recent REDACTED days of internet traffic and only keeps a REDACTEDly small amount of it on everyone's permanent record so that they can concentrate their limited resources on the REDACTED people they're actually looking for.)

Or as one googler put it: "F*bleep*k these guys."

If you have nothing to hide, they shouldn't be wasting their time and your money to look.

Check for new replies or respond here...