inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cheating

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/21/06 at 12:44 am

I've noticed that a few games have been marked as being possibly cheated at. Is this why the scores of most games seem to be incrediably out of reach? Granted, I really haven't concentrated on one game because I systematically browsing through the selection. However some of the games seem to have score that could never be topped. 

Subject: Re: Cheating

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/06 at 12:52 am

I've noticed that a few games have been marked as being possibly cheated at. Is this why the scores of most games seem to be incrediably out of reach? Granted, I really haven't concentrated on one game because I systematically browsing through the selection. However some of the games seem to have score that could never be topped. 

Those cheating messages are a result of accidentally submitting the same score more than once (ie: if it's loading slow, and you click submit score more than once, your score might get registered multiple times)

There are ways to actually cheat in some of the games (ie: Chunt, Video Poker, and a few others ...) but you won't see a cheat message if you cheat in the actual game

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/21/06 at 3:56 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/21/06 at 11:19 am

Also, if you hit the "back" button after getting a score it will register it twice, and mark one of the scores as "possible cheating detected"

I consider all the games with backwards scoring as cheatable since the worse you do, the better your score (100 Meter dash, Color Boxes, Darts, etc.).

Many of the high scores have been reached through hundreds of plays and countless hours of play.

90+% of the high scores are legitimately obtained, i.e. with no cheats or exploits. I don't think anyone uses "cheat devices" here.

I started a hints/tips thread that might help with many games here. Several of those scores are out of reach unless you can click a mouse/spacebar over 700 times a minute, or can devote (waste) countless hours practicing them.

I can't remember who it was, but I remember a user here saying they cheated in a couple of the games. 

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/06 at 1:42 pm

I can't remember who it was, but I remember a user here saying they cheated in a couple of the games. 

That might have been me ;D 

5 of the top scores I have (Video Poker, Field Goal, Skiprock, Chunt, Cone Crazi, and Shooting Gallery), I cheated to get  :-[

- Field Goal was an accidental cheat
- Shooting Gallery is a cheat that still requires skill and the fast click of the mouse
- Skiprock cheat I only used because everyone was getting the same score, so I thought i'd break the ice

Written By: nally on 05/21/06 at 6:54 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Tam on 05/22/06 at 12:58 am

The Tetris score I have that says possible cheating -

It took me quite a while to figure out why it said that.
I didn't think I hit refresh and I know I didn't click submit again...
Then I realized why it said I possibly cheated.

When I leave the house, I put the puter on standby - without closing windows.
When I came back home and fired up the puter, the page was already open to
the Tetris game. Without thinking, I went ahead and started playing, thus the game
thought I cheated because it was open and idling for over 5 hours. :o

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/22/06 at 1:04 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/22/06 at 1:09 am

By the way thanks Red Ant for taking the time to share those tips and observations in the other threads. I have to admit I really haven't anchored into a game yet so I shouldn't be expecting to much. 

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/06 at 1:27 am

Dude, you have so many titles under your belt that I don't think it really matters. Chucky needs to give you and Red Ant a "King of the Arcade" medal and retire your arcade number so the rest of us can have a shot!  :D ;D

Most of the titles I have are from games that no one hardly ever plays.  If they were popular enough, i'd probably lose a few scores ;D

ALthough I don't think anyone will ever beat my Sk8 Prison score.  That game is so very difficult :o

Written By: Red Ant on 05/22/06 at 3:27 am

Dude, you have so many titles under your belt that I don't think it really matters. Chucky needs to give you and Red Ant a "King of the Arcade" medal and retire your arcade number so the rest of us can have a shot!  :D ;D

When ChuckyG added the newer games to the arcade, for a week or so I had over 80 titles. I asked him about a week ago if he could bring in more games, but he said he couldn't (I forget the exact reason).

I like the medal idea though, heh heh.

By the way thanks Red Ant for taking the time to share those tips and observations in the other threads. I have to admit I really haven't anchored into a game yet so I shouldn't be expecting to much. 

You're welcome. After all, setting high scores (for me) is only fun if I have some competition. I do have one tip I regret giving though, since Leet Master (or whatever his name is now) used it to set an Air Skating high score that is very tough to beat. Oh well.

I don't know what kinds of games you like - most here are what I would call "speed" games, though skill, strategy, aim, patience, and luck factor into many of them.

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Apricot on 05/22/06 at 8:11 pm

Memory Games are easy to cheat at, all you have to do is write down the colors.

Written By: nally on 05/23/06 at 5:07 pm

Same here. Of course, there are some games I totally suck at (Tetris type games) and many I just look at your score and say to myself "no point in trying that one" - lol.

I don't "suck" at tetris, but I can't nearly beat WhistleDog's score of six hundred and eighty thousand, so I'm with ya on the "no point in trying that one" on there. I can reach the six figures, but can't get nearly as high as the aforementioned score.

Written By: whistledog on 05/25/06 at 7:20 pm

I don't "suck" at tetris, but I can't nearly beat WhistleDog's score of six hundred and eighty thousand, so I'm with ya on the "no point in trying that one" on there. I can reach the six figures, but can't get nearly as high as the aforementioned score.

Tetris is still a fun game, score or not :)

I still keep trying to beat my own score, but lately, I can't even come close.  I must've been on drugs the night I got that score ;D

Written By: nally on 05/25/06 at 10:56 pm

Tetris is still a fun game, score or not :)

I still keep trying to beat my own score, but lately, I can't even come close.  I must've been on drugs the night I got that score ;D

You are so right, Tetris is lots of fun. O0

I can't even come close to half a million though. :-\\

Written By: nally on 10/21/06 at 11:56 pm

You are so right, Tetris is lots of fun. O0

I can't even come close to half a million though. :-\\

Correction...less than two months after I made this post, I broke a million. I wish I had posted this three months ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...