inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The most stupid game you ever played?

Written By: Southern Image on 08/15/06 at 6:16 pm

I'd have to say that Color Boxes is one retarded game.

Subject: Re: The most retarded game you ever played?

Written By: nally on 08/15/06 at 10:47 pm

I'd have to say that Color Boxes is one retarded game.

I agree with you on that! The scoring is totally backwards on it.

The one game I personally nominate as retarted is "Simpsons"; I played it once and all you do on that game is blast the characters to score points; that seems rather bizarre to me. ::)

Written By: whistledog on 08/15/06 at 11:49 pm

Color Boxes should take top prize, but it would be better if the scoring worked

The dumbest game in the arcade has to be a tie between Ameriman and Sk8 Prison.  I am surprisingly good at both games, but they are seriously dumb games

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/16/06 at 12:04 am

Why are we calling arcade games retarded?

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/16/06 at 8:02 am

Why are we calling arcade games retarded?

Cos we don't have anything else better to do?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/16/06 at 2:27 pm

Cos we don't have anything else better to do?

It wasn't the concept of the thread I was questioning; I think there's a ton of dumb games in the arcade.  I was just asking why the word "retarded" was used. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/16/06 at 2:32 pm

Who holds the first position for Color Boxes?

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/16/06 at 4:03 pm

XD I was about to ask "Can games be retarted?" But SM said something like it, so I see.

Plus, I LOVE Color Boxes. If the scoring were better, I'd be first place! Well, last I checked...

Subject: Re: The most retarted game you ever played?

Written By: nally on 08/16/06 at 4:18 pm

XD I was about to ask "Can games be retarted?" But SM said something like it, so I see.

Plus, I LOVE Color Boxes. If the scoring were better, I'd be first place! Well, last I checked...

I would love it if only the scoring weren't BACKWARDS. The scoring on there is based on how much time it takes you to pair them all up. That doesn't make sense

Written By: Southern Image on 08/17/06 at 12:17 am

It wasn't the concept of the thread I was questioning; I think there's a ton of dumb games in the arcade.  I was just asking why the word "retarded" was used. 

Because that was the best word to describe it.  ;D

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/19/06 at 5:06 pm

Who holds the first position for Color Boxes?

If you mean to ask who's the real champion of the game, you should check out my avatar. I'm unchallenged since January 26, 2006.

Perhaps you should visit the arcade more often. ;)

Written By: FaultyDog on 08/19/06 at 5:08 pm

I've tried nearly every game in the arcade, but the ones that stand out for me in "retardedness" are Ameriman and Easter Eggs.

Written By: Red Ant on 08/20/06 at 12:31 am

I've tried nearly every game in the arcade, but the ones that stand out for me in "retardedness" are Ameriman and Easter Eggs.

Easter Eggs is just plain, old-fashioned, lame.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/06 at 12:33 am

If you mean to ask who's the real champion of the game, you should check out my avatar. I'm unchallenged since January 26, 2006.
So you are!

Written By: nally on 08/20/06 at 12:35 am

So you are!

I knew that too!

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/22/06 at 6:36 pm

The old "Pong" games they had, like Odyssey, especially when ball goes the same direction, back and forth repeatedly, because neither person has moved their "paddles". My sister and I played that all of two days and got burned out after that.

Written By: nally on 08/23/06 at 2:25 pm

The old "Pong" games they had, like Odyssey, especially when ball goes the same direction, back and forth repeatedly, because neither person has moved their "paddles". My sister and I played that all of two days and got burned out after that.

Is there a Pong game in the Arcade?

Written By: Tam on 08/23/06 at 2:36 pm

I think there is but it is called something else - and I think Alcohoholica was the one who held the title

Written By: nally on 08/23/06 at 2:52 pm

I think there is but it is called something else - and I think Alcohoholica was the one who held the title

I don't think so. Alchoholica deleted his account in November 2005, and the Arcade was launched in January 2006. So he could not have had a taste of the arcade.

Maybe it was AL-B before he erased his account.

Written By: Tam on 08/23/06 at 3:03 pm

My fault!

The game is called Ping Pong and Buckinghammm holds the title
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=arcade&name=ping+pong&order=0&order2=DESC

Written By: nally on 08/23/06 at 3:12 pm

My fault!

The game is called Ping Pong and Buckinghammm holds the title
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=arcade&name=ping+pong&order=0&order2=DESC

Oh...okay. That makes sense! :)

I have not played that one as of yet.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/13/06 at 5:45 am

Is there a Pong game in the Arcade?
8) Yep...PONG...the paddles were RREEAALLYY slow and it got boreing REAL fast but it was the only game WWAYYYYY back then

Written By: nally on 09/13/06 at 11:34 am

8) Yep...PONG...the paddles were RREEAALLYY slow and it got boreing REAL fast but it was the only game WWAYYYYY back then

I was talking about the Arcade that's on this site...apparently you haven't played any of the games yet.

Tam already pointed out the (Ping) Pong game to me.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/13/06 at 7:02 pm

I was talking about the Arcade that's on this site...apparently you haven't played any of the games yet.

Tam already pointed out the (Ping) Pong game to me.
:-[ OOPPS...my mistake....

Subject: The most retarded game you ever played?

Written By: Dude111 on 01/20/23 at 11:43 am

I would have to say Ataris ET!!

Whats the point of it??

Subject: Re: qhe most retarded game you ever played?

Written By: Howard on 01/20/23 at 3:59 pm

Whats the point of it??

I was just about to say the same thing, that game is ridiculous to play.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/21/23 at 2:14 pm

Whats the point of it??

I've heard about it. Had nothing to do with the movie.

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/23 at 2:45 am

Whats the point of it??

I am in the minority because while ET is not a great game, I had fun with it. 
ET was quite ground breaking because most Atari games at the time had just one screen and everything took place on it.  With ET, you could exit one screen, and a new different one would appear.  I finish ET almost every time I play it!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/25/23 at 1:37 pm

Whats the point of it??

I never had an Atari 2600 when I was a kid, but on one of my annual summer family vacations to North Dakota we were visiting my uncle's house and his family had one. I can remember sitting in the living room with my cousins taking turns playing the brand new E.T. game and we were all like, "This is stupid! What are we supposed to do here?"

The game was so bad that it tarnished my memory of the movie itself, and when I randomly stumbled across the movie 30 years later while channel surfing I was completely blown away at how awesome it was.

But if you really want to remind yourself how bad this game really was you could always go to Alamogordo, New Mexico and start digging around because it turns out that the urban legend of 700,000 E.T. game cartridges being buried in the landfill there was 100% true.  ;D

I don't think so. Alchoholica deleted his account in November 2005, and the Arcade was launched in January 2006. So he could not have had a taste of the arcade.

Maybe it was AL-B before he erased his account.

Oh and by the way, I'm back.  8)

Written By: nally on 02/25/23 at 2:29 pm

Oh and by the way, I'm back.  8)

I know. You reregistered not long after I made the original post. O0

Written By: whistledog on 03/03/23 at 9:24 am

One of the dumbest video games ever is Superman for the Atari 2600.  As much as I love DC Comics, I hate this game.  The sound effects are murder on your ears and the plot is super dumb:  Lex Luthor has destroyed a bridge in Metropolis, preventing Clark Kent from walking to work, so he turns into Superman and the goal is to fly around Metropolis and collect pieces of the bridge, re-assemble it, then capture Luthor and deliver him to jail

This was one of the few Atari 2600 games that had an ending, and while it's not based on high score per se, it does record how long it takes you to finish it, so while it does have re-playability based on that, the game play and sound affects are so bad, I don't want to play it again lol

Warning:  Do not have your volume high.  The sound affects really are awful

r7U2TFIayos

Check for new replies or respond here...