inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Can anyone tell me "WHY"...

Written By: tokjct on 01/16/07 at 4:21 pm

I've been playing the games on the Arcade since I joined this group several weeks ago.  Two days ago, a message came up when I tried to go to the Arcade..."You are not allowed to go the Arcade...Sorry"  Could anyone tell me what's happening?  Why do I get this message?  It's a puzzlement!

Subject: Re: Can anyone tell me "WHY"...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/16/07 at 4:23 pm

Maybe you were cheating?  I don't know.  I haven't heard of that before.

Edit:  Henk's explanation just reminded of what Chucky posted yesterday. 

Written By: Henk on 01/16/07 at 4:26 pm

I've been playing the games on the Arcade since I joined this group several weeks ago.  Two days ago, a message came up when I tried to go to the Arcade..."You are not allowed to go the Arcade...Sorry"  Could anyone tell me what's happening?   Why do I get this message?  It's a puzzlement!

The rules have been changed. "New" members are no longer allowed to play the arcade (or post attachments). You are considered a "new" member to this board, because you haven't made 100 posts yet.

There were too many people complaining about members that only registered to play the games in the arcade, but never got to posting.

See also this topic, that will clarify things.

Written By: tokjct on 01/16/07 at 4:37 pm

Well, I think that a requirement of 100 posts before you can use the Arcade is just a little unreasonable.
I have started to post in some of the discussion groups...But to make a demand of 'a hundred posts' BEFORE you can use the Arcade...indeed!  Initially, I got the impression that this was a "friendly" group.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/16/07 at 4:40 pm

Well, I think that a requirement of 100 posts before you can use the Arcade is just a little unreasonable.
I have started to post in some of the discussion groups...But to make a demand of 'a hundred posts' BEFORE you can use the Arcade...indeed!  Initially, I got the impression that this was a "friendly" group.

It's not unreasonable.  If you read the thread that Chucky started, you can see why the requirement was made.  People who had been here years were having trophies taken by people who didn't post once, just played the arcade.  Chucky is trying to make people who register here actually be active on the boards.  Which makes sense....this is message board after all.  If all you want to do is play games, there are other sites for you to go to.

And it has no bearing on whether this place is friendly or unfriendly.  Absolutely none. 

Written By: whistledog on 01/16/07 at 5:14 pm

There are some new members who only join to play in the ardade, and it's not fair to the regular members when they get their top scores taken away by someone with little or zero posts

Written By: tokjct on 01/16/07 at 6:12 pm

It's not unreasonable.  If you read the thread that Chucky started, you can see why the requirement was made.  People who had been here years were having trophies taken by people who didn't post once, just played the arcade.  Chucky is trying to make people who register here actually be active on the boards.  Which makes sense....this is message board after all.  If all you want to do is play games, there are other sites for you to go to.

And it has no bearing on whether this place is friendly or unfriendly.  Absolutely none. 

I'm sorry Electro, but I've been around a lot of discussion groups, and there is no reason, in my mind, why a person who posts discussion posts on a regular basis...eg. five or ten posts a week...shouldn't be allowed to play the games in the Arcade.  Sheeeessshhhh...I can go directly to Miniclip Games or Funny Games and play these same games all I want.  What I enjoyed in this group, or thought I did, was the competition.    I mean...I've started what I thought were about four or five interesting threads in the discussion groups...and all of a sudden...without any prior notice about a required amount of posts...I get cut off from the Arcade.  I grant you that someone who ONLY plays the games and never posts in a discussion post...is not keeping with the spirit of a discussion group.  But...to cut me off without prior warning, by creating a new rule, and to ignore my participation in the discussions, is simply not right...and certainly not conducive to having amicable relationships in the group...Unless of course, perhaps the regulars here feel they have some kind of a "closed club."

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/16/07 at 7:00 pm

Try the board games. That will build your post count up-VERY quickly.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 01/16/07 at 7:03 pm

I'm sorry Electro, but I've been around a lot of discussion groups, and there is no reason, in my mind, why a person who posts discussion posts on a regular basis...eg. five or ten posts a week...shouldn't be allowed to play the games in the Arcade.  Sheeeessshhhh...I can go directly to Miniclip Games or Funny Games and play these same games all I want.  What I enjoyed in this group, or thought I did, was the competition.     I mean...I've started what I thought were about four or five interesting threads in the discussion groups...and all of a sudden...without any prior notice about a required amount of posts...I get cut off from the Arcade.   I grant you that someone who ONLY plays the games and never posts in a discussion post...is not keeping with the spirit of a discussion group.  But...to cut me off without prior warning, by creating a new rule, and to ignore my participation in the discussions, is simply not right...and certainly not conducive to having amicable relationships in the group...Unless of course, perhaps the regulars here feel they have some kind of a "closed club."

To be fair here, you have only been a member for some 17 days.  Most messageboards I have been to that have arcades have a newbie rule for the games, mainly to be fair to long term members.  If you like, you can join in on some real discussions or head to the Penguin Board Games so you can get to the 100 posts reqiurement :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/16/07 at 8:00 pm

I mean...I've started what I thought were about four or five interesting threads in the discussion groups...and all of a sudden...without any prior notice about a required amount of posts...I get cut off from the Arcade.  I grant you that someone who ONLY plays the games and never posts in a discussion post...is not keeping with the spirit of a discussion group.  But...to cut me off without prior warning, by creating a new rule, and to ignore my participation in the discussions, is simply not right...and certainly not conducive to having amicable relationships in the group...Unless of course, perhaps the regulars here feel they have some kind of a "closed club."

No one is ignoring your participation in discussions.  Where did you come up with that?  And no matter what you think, Chucky making members actually post here before they play the arcade is not in any way symbolizing a "closed club" or anything elitist.  If you don't like it, PM him and complain.

Now, if you don't want to do that, instead of getting angry, go over to the PBG and post until you get to 100 and then you can play in the arcade.  No harm, no foul.

Written By: nally on 01/17/07 at 12:45 am

There are some new members who only join to play in the ardade, and it's not fair to the regular members when they get their top scores taken away by someone with little or zero posts

Especially with KatKit (who has no posts at all), who dethroned me on Tetris recently.

Tomorrow I think I'll play a round of Tetris and see if I can rack up 2 million points! >:D

Written By: whistledog on 01/17/07 at 12:47 am

Especially with KatKit (who has no posts at all), who dethroned me on Tetris recently.

Tomorrow I think I'll play a round of Tetris and see if I can rack up 2 million points! >:D

KatKit definately only joined for the Arcade, and (if I remember) was the one who dethroned me on Tetris.  Then you beat him/her, but then you got beat again :(

Written By: nally on 01/17/07 at 12:51 am

KatKit definately only joined for the Arcade, and (if I remember) was the one who dethroned me on Tetris.  Then you beat him/her, but then you got beat again :(

Yes, I did get beat...and that was a week or so ago. I would go and do it right now (play Tetris, that is)...but it's kinda late. That's why I'm putting it off till tomorrow, when I will have the whole day.

Yes, he/she/it toppled your high score; I toppled that score back in July...and now six months later, the crown...is about....to be stolen.....back. (IOW, it's payback time.) ;D >:D

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/17/07 at 4:06 pm

100 posts is probably too high.  I'm going to drop it.

Written By: Tia on 01/17/07 at 4:26 pm

perhaps the regulars here feel they have some kind of a "closed club."
perhaps!

Written By: tokjct on 01/19/07 at 1:39 am

Thanks Chucky...but I pledge to you that I will not take advantage of your generosity.  I've been posting and I am enjoying the dialogue.
I might suggest that you treat each case individually...rather then making a blanket rule.  I think a warning to someone who has come here just to play the games, should be sufficient.  If they don't post..then I think you have every right to prevent someone from playing the games...if that's all they came for... I already mentioned in a previous response that anyone can play all these games directly from the Game sites.  They don't need to come in here and disrupt the normal flow of activities.  peace...Lee

Written By: nally on 01/24/07 at 12:59 am

What did you drop it to?

Cuz' I noticed someone without any posts has been chasing my Tetris scores as of late.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/24/07 at 6:24 am

What did you drop it to?

Cuz' I noticed someone without any posts has been chasing my Tetris scores as of late.

I think it got dropped completely.  I was mostly concerned with people trying to cheat at the games, so if it looks like a cheating attempt, I could always try and figure out the wacky permission system again

Check for new replies or respond here...