inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help With Descriptions/Improvements For The Games

Written By: Red Ant on 03/09/07 at 6:08 pm

We've gotten all of the thumbnails added to the newer games. Next up is adding a short description to each, maybe like 2-4 tags.

Since there are 424 games, this will take a *bit* of time.

Anyways, here's some possible tags for the games:

Tetris variant
Mah Jong variant
Whack-a-Mole variant
Break-Out/Bricks variant
Avoider variant
Space Invaders variant
Solitaire variant
Snake Variant
Game Show
Memory/Matching
Helicopter
Word
Spelling
Poker
Pool
Dice
Cards
Skill
Luck
Speed
Strategy
Shooting
Flying
Children's
Car Race
Sports
Space
Classic
Maze
Board Game
Miscellaneous
Timed

IIRC, someone wanted tags for whether a game is mouse or keyboard. We could add those as well.

If you all are willing to help me classify the games, we'll get the tags added to them. I know some people predominately play one type of game, like Mah Jong or Tetris clones. Responding here with all of those versions by name would help out a great deal.

There is also the feature of resizing the games. Some of them (like Ping Brick) are pretty small.

If there is a better name for a game, we can change the title.

Also, games that have lousy, foreign language, or no instructions can have a short description added on how to use the controls.

I've set up a sample description on 0floatsSTE (first game listed).

Subject: Re: Help With Descriptions/Improvements For The Games

Written By: whistledog on 03/09/07 at 9:00 pm

Also, games that have lousy, foreign language, or no instructions can have a short description added on how to use the controls.

I especially like this one.  Some of those games are real unclear of the instructions like weddingbouquet or wordforword.  I wasted like a good half hour on each trying to figure out what the hell to do

There is also the feature of resizing the games. Some of them (like Ping Brick) are pretty small.

Some of those games are rather large.  I have to hit F11 just so they will fit within my window

Written By: whistledog on 03/09/07 at 9:01 pm

I wonder .. could there also be tags for games that have glitches that help you get easy scores without the work? :D

I know ChainlettersIBPAG, Star Ball MP and WordforwordGC qualify under this LOL

Written By: nally on 03/09/07 at 9:03 pm

such as Bricks In The Wall...the instrux for that game are written in German. I thought the game was broken until a good friend of mine explained how to start the game.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/09/07 at 9:26 pm

I especially like this one.  Some of those games are real unclear of the instructions like weddingbouquet or wordforword.  I wasted like a good half hour on each trying to figure out what the hell to do

Some of those games are rather large.  I have to hit F11 just so they will fit within my window

For Wedding Bouquet, something like "Click, hold and drag objects to their target basket" would but short but effective enough. I haven't played word for word yet - if you have a brief description on how to play it, I'll add it.

The big games can be downsized a bit so you don't have to hit F11. Give me the game name and the approx percentage decrease you think it needs and I'll resize it.

I wonder .. could there also be tags for games that have glitches that help you get easy scores without the work? :D

I know ChainlettersIBPAG, Star Ball MP and WordforwordGC qualify under this LOL

There could be, though removing cheatable (or "glitches-in-your-favor") games might be better. "Buggy" could be a catch-all for games that tend to kick you out, are semi-cheatable, or just have a lot of flaws in them (like Urban Slug).

such as Bricks In The Wall...the instrux for that game are written in German. I thought the game was broken until a good friend of mine explained how to start the game.

Heh heh. Yeah, that one needs basic instructions, like "Use the arrow keys to move, and spacebar to fire."

Written By: whistledog on 03/09/07 at 9:40 pm

For Wedding Bouquet, something like "Click, hold and drag objects to their target basket" would but short but effective enough. I haven't played word for word yet - if you have a brief description on how to play it, I'll add it.

It's sort of hard to describe WordforwordGC as the instructions are quite complicated, but here goes ...

The word which you must find contains letters that are below (the top word) and above (the bottom word) in order.  For each word you guess, it will either be placed on top or on the bottom to help you narrow down your choice of words.  Example:  If the word on top is BAD and the word on bottom is BAN, then the word in between would be BAG

Written By: Red Ant on 03/09/07 at 9:48 pm

Hmm, the "Help" section doesn't appear to be showing up. Jason, can you check out 1992 and see if you can find anything that says "Game bugs after level 5"?

Written By: whistledog on 03/09/07 at 10:05 pm

Hmm, the "Help" section doesn't appear to be showing up. Jason, can you check out 1992 and see if you can find anything that says "Game bugs after level 5"?

I Don't see that description for 1992

Written By: Red Ant on 03/09/07 at 11:03 pm

I Don't see that description for 1992

I thought it was just me missing it.

I've added descriptions to the first page of the arcade. All but "Floats" has a short description rather than tags. Which do you all like better?

Written By: whistledog on 03/09/07 at 11:12 pm

I think the short descriptions are better

Written By: Henk on 03/10/07 at 12:38 am

Heh heh. Yeah, that one needs basic instructions, like "Use the arrow keys to move, and spacebar to fire."

And remember...Die Partei, Die Partei, Die hat immer Recht! (or, in English: The Party is always in the right!) ;)

Written By: whistledog on 03/20/07 at 12:26 pm

I have a suggestion .. I think it would be handy if the arcade had a browse by letter feature.  I don't know about everyone else, but the arcade loads slow for me, so when I go to the next page of games, it takes about 10 seconds, so a browse by letter tool would be super handy! :)

Written By: nally on 03/20/07 at 3:28 pm

I have a suggestion .. I think it would be handy if the arcade had a browse by letter feature.  I don't know about everyone else, but the arcade loads slow for me, so when I go to the next page of games, it takes about 10 seconds, so a browse by letter tool would be super handy! :)

Yes, I think that would be handy. Especially for games beginning with letters closer to the middle of the alphabet.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/20/07 at 10:46 pm

It would be, especially near the end when there will be thousands of games. ChuckyG has a sort by letter feature set up on inthe80s for the arcade (still in the works). He might be able to do the same here.

I now know why some of the thumbnails are heavily pixelated. I'm going to work on those Thursday or Friday as well as the rest of the games that do not have them yet. I figure it's an all day job getting the arcade sorted out and up to date.

Written By: Red Ant on 03/22/07 at 12:59 am

The first three pages of games are completely done. All thumbnails are fixed, descriptions were added, a few were resized and a couple duplicates were removed.

This is going to take much longer than 1 day...

Written By: Red Ant on 03/22/07 at 8:05 pm

A few names changes as well:

0floatsSTe is now just "Floats"
F-586 is "Surf Point Blue"
F-83 is "Penalty Master"

Games with lame names (like F-83) will be changes to whatever the game is called on the start menu. In this case it's "Penalty Master"

Cheese Hunt dupe was deleted.

Written By: nally on 03/22/07 at 10:49 pm

A few names changes as well:

0floatsSTe is now just "Floats"
F-586 is "Surf Point Blue"
F-83 is "Penalty Master"

Games with lame names (like F-83) will be changes to whatever the game is called on the start menu. In this case it's "Penalty Master"

Cheese Hunt dupe was deleted.

And I notice that "ChainLettersIBPAG" is now simply "Chain Letters" (which is a much simpler name). ;)

Written By: Red Ant on 03/25/07 at 3:48 am

And I notice that "ChainLettersIBPAG" is now simply "Chain Letters" (which is a much simpler name). ;)

Yeah, all of the games are named by their file name, so cleaning them up is something else I am doing.

Written By: Henk on 03/25/07 at 7:40 am

Yeah, all of the games are named by their file name, so cleaning them up is something else I am doing.

Hey - you deserve some karma for all your hard work. :)

Written By: nally on 03/25/07 at 3:14 pm

"File name"?

Hey - you deserve some karma for all your hard work. :)

He sure does. O0

Written By: Red Ant on 03/25/07 at 10:49 pm

"File name"?

Every game has two names, the file name and the display name. "ChainLettersIBPAG" is the file name of that game, and the name you guys see (displayed name) was also "ChainLettersIBPAG", until I changed it to "Chain Letters".

Written By: nally on 03/26/07 at 11:00 am

Every game has two names, the file name and the display name. "ChainLettersIBPAG" is the file name of that game, and the name you guys see (displayed name) was also "ChainLettersIBPAG", until I changed it to "Chain Letters".

Aw. Cool. ;) By the way, I noticed you gave me my 900th karma point. I'd karma you back, but it hasn't been a full day since I last did so!

Written By: nally on 10/10/07 at 12:29 pm

How does one play "Switch It"?? I tried playing it the way I thought it was supposed to be played, but I can't figure out how to score any points! :o :-[ :-\\ I refuse to register a zero score :(

Written By: Red Ant on 10/10/07 at 12:34 pm

How does one play "Switch It"?? I tried playing it the way I thought it was supposed to be played, but I can't figure out how to score any points! :o :-Ant

Written By: nally on 10/10/07 at 12:38 pm

You have to switch all the dots off. In level 1, click all 4 corners and you beat that level. When you get stuck, just hit send.

Ant

Oh yes, I get it now. At first, I thought I had to switch all of 'em ON. Silly me. :-\\

I just played that game and got through level three.

Check for new replies or respond here...