inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rotamania

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/07 at 2:23 pm

Can anyone explain to me the scoring on this game?  Somehow I got a top score of 246700 but I don't know what i did ???

Sometimes you get 0 points for making a move, and other times, you get random point values.  It almost seems like a glitch or something?

Subject: Re: Rotamania

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/07 at 2:25 pm

I was about to post a similar thread, I have noticed that some scores are 0 too, and somehow I scored 53000 odd in one move. I have simply no idea how?

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/07 at 2:33 pm

I was about to post a similar thread, I have noticed that some scores are 0 too, and somehow I scored 53000 odd in one move. I have simply no idea how?

And the weird part is that I bet you have not been able to clear the board either?

When I acquired 246700, I didn't notice the rise to that score, just that I came very close to clearing the board.  I've come even closer several times later, and haven't even closed in on this score. There must be a solution to this unsolved mystery

Where's Robert Stack when you need him lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/07 at 4:13 pm

And the weird part is that I bet you have not been able to clear the board either?

When I acquired 246700, I didn't notice the rise to that score, just that I came very close to clearing the board.  I've come even closer several times later, and haven't even closed in on this score. There must be a solution to this unsolved mystery

Where's Robert Stack when you need him lol
So with that score of yours, you did not clear the board then?

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/07 at 4:28 pm

So with that score of yours, you did not clear the board then?

Nope.  Had I of had the right pieces, i would have been only 3 moves away.  It makes me wonder if there is some sort of bonus for clearing the board, but considering there is no time limit in the game, I wouldn't think there would be one?

I googled the game, and found other sites that had it, and someone who achieved a score of 800,000+ in it, doesn't know either how he got that

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/07 at 4:40 pm

Nope.  Had I of had the right pieces, i would have been only 3 moves away.  It makes me wonder if there is some sort of bonus for clearing the board, but considering there is no time limit in the game, I wouldn't think there would be one?

I googled the game, and found other sites that had it, and someone who achieved a score of 80,000+ in it, doesn't know either how he got that
Anyway I am still giving this game a go just to try and clear the board.

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/07 at 4:51 pm

Anyway I am still giving this game a go just to try and clear the board.

Same here.  The easiest way to try and clear the board I would think is to keep clicking new game until you get less of the 4 part pieces.  They are hard to clear away

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/07 at 5:03 pm

In a major, yet not at all surprising disappointment, I cleared the board, and found there to be no bonus, but a very badly worded sentence lol

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7521/rotamaniatn2.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/07 at 5:11 pm

In a major, yet not at all surprising disappointment, I cleared the board, and found there to be no bonus, but a very badly worded sentence lol

Well done, but how many points though?

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/07 at 5:44 pm

Well done, but how many points though?

16500, which means that finishing the game doesn't even do anything lol

It's all about finding that one move that gets you a ton of points.  The moves that I do, which get me top points, look just like any other move that I make, which gets me low points, so it must be all about the chain of moves that happen when you make a move.  I will not rest until I figure it out lol

Written By: whistledog on 05/27/07 at 8:00 pm

I think I might have figured out the secret ...

When I make a move that involves two blocks, I get 210 points.  It seems that I get bigger point values when I make a move that involves using blocks from more than 2 columns (or rows).  Follow-up moves apparently don't make the point value any bigger, which means that you are basically throwing away further points

But what I still can't figure out is how the zero points come into play.  I think i may need to go back to the drawing board on this one lol

Written By: Red Ant on 05/27/07 at 11:33 pm

Given that screen shot and the horrible instructions, I think the designer of Rotamania was borderline illiterate and now probably mixes paint for a living. I think it's broken, but you guys can keep trying to figure it out, lol.

Written By: whistledog on 05/28/07 at 12:27 am

Given that screen shot and the horrible instructions, I think the designer of Rotamania was borderline illiterate and now probably mixes paint for a living. I think it's broken, but you guys can keep trying to figure it out, lol.

I would say it is broken as well.  There seems to be no real way of getting a good score each time, so I'm giving up on it

Written By: Southern Image on 06/02/07 at 12:31 pm

I have no idea how to even play that game. My scores are just dumb luck  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/07 at 1:41 pm

Somehow I have just scored 74140 on Rotamania, do not ask me how I did it.

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/07 at 12:08 am

Somehow I have just scored 74140 on Rotamania, do not ask me how I did it.

I still wanna know how I broke 20,000.  It has to be a glitch of some kind, cause I haven't since come even close to 10,000

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/07/07 at 1:16 am

I still wanna know how I broke 20,000.  It has to be a glitch of some kind, cause I haven't since come even close to 10,000
I scored 50,000 on one move, I think I know what I did, then tried the same move again and it did not work the second time.

Check for new replies or respond here...