inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: E.T.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/04/07 at 10:04 am

Who still has this game from Atari?

Subject: Re: E.T.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/23/07 at 4:06 pm

I never had it...

But I have seen reviews bashing it.

Written By: snozberries on 11/23/07 at 8:26 pm

I kind of wish I did  but after playing the games on X-Box and any version of playstation I think I would just be frustrated beyond belief.... It was easier to take those games when we didn't know any better

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/07 at 11:03 pm

I still have the original cartridge that I got for Christmas in the early 80s.  I was just playing it the other day :D

And I still hate that stupid man in the suit who carries me away >:(

Written By: Step-chan on 11/25/07 at 5:38 pm

I still have the original cartridge that I got for Christmas in the early 80s.  I was just playing it the other day :D

And I still hate that stupid man in the suit who carries me away >:(

I watched someone beat the game on youtube.

Written By: whistledog on 11/25/07 at 10:12 pm

It's very possible to beat the game in under 5 minutes, which makes it a rip off as back in the day, the actual cartridge sold for like $39.99-$49.99 lol

Written By: Step-chan on 11/25/07 at 10:19 pm

It's very possible to beat the game in under 5 minutes, which makes it a rip off as back in the day, the actual cartridge sold for like $39.99-$49.99 lol

Yeah, where as most games nowadays take far longer... Heck even Mega Man and Mario are far longer(those you can beat in less than an hour).

Of course, it takes longer on E.T. if you keep having problems getting out of the pits.(From what I seen)

Written By: whistledog on 11/25/07 at 10:55 pm

Yeah, where as most games nowadays take far longer... Heck even Mega Man and Mario are far longer(those you can beat in less than an hour).

Of course, it takes longer on E.T. if you keep having problems getting out of the pits.(From what I seen)

Those pits are easy.  The only challenge is avoiding the man in the suit becuase if he catches you, he takes all the phone pieces that you've found, and so you have to find them all over again, and they will be in new locations. 

Written By: snozberries on 11/26/07 at 12:04 am

speak for yourself... I got Super Mario 3 for my GBA and got have been stuck in the same stupid world for months... it took me two weeks just to get that far  ;D

Written By: Midas on 10/08/08 at 10:53 am

I think I still have my copy, which was purchase at Revco Drug for 50 cents in 1985 :D

Written By: Step-chan on 10/16/08 at 4:18 pm

speak for yourself... I got Super Mario 3 for my GBA and got have been stuck in the same stupid world for months... it took me two weeks just to get that far  ;D

Super Mario 3 is one of the longer ones. I was thinking of the earlier ones.

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/15 at 12:42 pm

Yes, same here. I think the person had to use fast forward a lot to speed things up if I remember correctly.  ;D

Some say E.T - The Video Game almost destroyed the gaming industry back in 1983. I think Pac Man did the most damage, E.T was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

E.T was that bad it couldn't sell so the hundreds of extra copies that couldn't be sold were buried in a big landfill somewhere.

Written By: Howard on 05/03/15 at 1:48 pm

E.T was that bad it couldn't sell so the hundreds of extra copies that couldn't be sold were buried in a big landfill somewhere.

Why did they do that for?

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/15 at 3:46 pm

Why did they do that for?

They couldn't sell the cartridges, Howard. It kind of makes you wonder why they didn't give them away. Maybe nobody wanted them free either. Just an update; I checked Wikipedia out and Atari buried 728,000 cartridges of various titles in a New Mexico landfill in Alamogordo. Apparently, between 2.5 and 3.5 million cartridges of E.T were unsold. Atari grossed $25 million in sales and lost $100 million.

From what I understand, Atari were a runaway train after the lead member Nolan Bushnell was paid off to step down. Atari thought E.T was going to be so successful that they made 5 million cartridges for a game that didn't have as many console players!

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/15 at 5:27 pm

Everyone always says E.T. is really bad.  Considering the game play, it was ideally the Rolls Royce of Atari games when you compare it to what was already out there at the time. 

It was also the first ever video game I finished, so it holds a special place in my heart lol

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/22/15 at 2:50 am

They couldn't sell the cartridges, Howard. It kind of makes you wonder why they didn't give them away. Maybe nobody wanted them free either. Just an update; I checked Wikipedia out and Atari buried 728,000 cartridges of various titles in a New Mexico landfill in Alamogordo. Apparently, between 2.5 and 3.5 million cartridges of E.T were unsold. Atari grossed $25 million in sales and lost $100 million.

From what I understand, Atari were a runaway train after the lead member Nolan Bushnell was paid off to step down. Atari thought E.T was going to be so successful that they made 5 million cartridges for a game that didn't have as many console players!

They dug them up last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGc3FMqxjaM

Written By: Howard on 05/22/15 at 7:30 am

No game should ever be made in 5 weeks.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/17/15 at 5:01 pm

Never played the game nor would I want to own it. It's an abysmal piece of crap made by Atari to applaud the Spielberg fans back in '82.

Written By: whistledog on 07/19/15 at 10:46 am

Never played the game nor would I want to own it. It's an abysmal piece of crap made by Atari to applaud the Spielberg fans back in '82.

If you've never played it, how do you know?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/19/15 at 11:45 am

If you've never played it, how do you know?

I watched some game footage of it and just realized how bad it is.

Written By: Bobby on 02/11/17 at 2:30 pm

Yes, I probably watched the same walkthrough as you did.

After watching E.T on Youtube, it is no wonder that Atari went belly up in the early 1980s, lol. I still maintain that it was the Atari version of Pac Man that started the video game crash of 1983, E.T was just the exclamation mark on it.

Written By: whistledog on 02/11/17 at 3:26 pm

When you compare E.T. to alot of other Atari games that were out at the time, it was amazing in comparison.  It was almost ground breaking in the fact that the game play didn't just take place in the same screen

Written By: Howard on 02/11/17 at 3:57 pm

When you compare E.T. to alot of other Atari games that were out at the time, it was amazing in comparison.  It was almost ground breaking in the fact that the game play didn't just take place in the same screen

But the game sucked.

Written By: whistledog on 02/11/17 at 6:22 pm

But the game sucked.

Only to those who think that.  I have fond memories of it and I will never have hate for it

Written By: Midas on 02/11/17 at 7:00 pm

I second this. The game wasn't great, but it wasn't the worst put out by Atari or any of the third party vendors at the time. I think by comparison, the 2600 port of Pac-Man was more of a disappointment than E.T.

Back when I had the 2600, I think I picked up E.T. at Revco for $0.50 USD. :D
The wells in the game were sometimes frustrating to maneuver out of.
It was easier than Raiders Of The Lost Ark, and those "World" series of games, which I never figured out how to play.

Written By: Midas on 02/11/17 at 7:04 pm

I would wager that some of the cartridges dug up, that were still intact, would possibly still work. Back in the day one of my friend's little brother thought it would be cute to put my Chopper Command cartridge in a bucket of mud. I was freaking out. After cleaning it off, it still worked. I was relieved since my dad bought the game and would have been pissed. :D

Written By: whistledog on 02/11/17 at 7:36 pm

I second this. The game wasn't great, but it wasn't the worst put out by Atari or any of the third party vendors at the time. I think by comparison, the 2600 port of Pac-Man was more of a disappointment than E.T.

Back when I had the 2600, I think I picked up E.T. at Revco for $0.50 USD. :D
The wells in the game were sometimes frustrating to maneuver out of.
It was easier than Raiders Of The Lost Ark, and those "World" series of games, which I never figured out how to play.

Swordquest: Earthworld, Fireworld and I believe Waterworld.  I still don't know how to play them and that's after watching them beat on YouTube lol

Check for new replies or respond here...