inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: WWE Smackdown! Games

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/31/07 at 3:56 pm

What's your favorite Smackdown! Game or option?

Mine is Create-a-Player. I can make a Bearded Lady, Dracula, and even Batman.

Subject: Re: WWE Smackdown! Games

Written By: Bobby on 02/20/08 at 12:05 pm

I have the most recent Smackdown vs Raw game for 2008 but actually thought it was a worse than the 2007 version. Hopefully they will complete an artificial AI that will allow your wrestlers a face/neutral/heel disposition. It will make these games more tactical and, in some ways, give them that luck of the draw edge they need (especially in Royal Rumbles).

I can't believe that, even on next generation consoles, they can't get the hair right, lol.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/24/08 at 7:48 pm

I haven't played a Smackdown! game in almost 7 years, but I did enjoy the 'create-a-player' mode on the old PS1 games.

Written By: Bobby on 02/25/08 at 5:01 pm

I haven't played a Smackdown! game in almost 7 years, but I did enjoy the 'create-a-player' mode on the old PS1 games.

They've changed quite a bit since then but what impressed me about the original Smackdown was the action was faster and felt like a more realistic experience at the time (in comparison to games like 'Warzone' and WWF Attitude' on Playstation 1. These days, the matches are fun to play with lots of improvements, bells and whistles but I think Yukes are going through a time of experimentation with the format and hopefully it will all pull together in the next version of Smackdown vs Raw.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/25/08 at 11:21 pm

They've changed quite a bit since then but what impressed me about the original Smackdown was the action was faster and felt like a more realistic experience at the time (in comparison to games like 'Warzone' and WWF Attitude' on Playstation 1. These days, the matches are fun to play with lots of improvements, bells and whistles but I think Yukes are going through a time of experimentation with the format and hopefully it will all pull together in the next version of Smackdown vs Raw.

I totally agree. I was a huge WWF fan back in the late '90s, and I had Warzone on the Nintendo 64, and WWF Attitude on the PS1 along with Smackdown!, and it was a much faster paced game. In fact, because Smackdown! was the last game of the three that I played, It took me a little while to get used to the fast pace of the game compared to the other two.

Also, if I recall correctly, wasn't the Smackdown series the first one to have at least something of a storyline in the career mode? I don't think any of the others had anything like that at the time.

Written By: Bobby on 04/03/08 at 11:56 am

I totally agree. I was a huge WWF fan back in the late '90s, and I had Warzone on the Nintendo 64, and WWF Attitude on the PS1 along with Smackdown!, and it was a much faster paced game. In fact, because Smackdown! was the last game of the three that I played, It took me a little while to get used to the fast pace of the game compared to the other two.

That's right, the WWF characters shuffled awkwardly along on Warzone and Attitude, however they had a ton of different game modes. I can't remember whether it was Warzone or No Mercy that first featured blood.

Also, if I recall correctly, wasn't the Smackdown series the first one to have at least something of a storyline in the career mode? I don't think any of the others had anything like that at the time.

I'm not sure it appeared in the first Smackdown (it's been so long, lol). The first storyline type effort came in Smackdown: Shut your mouth - it was also the first Smackdown to feature 6 men in the ring at the same time.

News is out that Smackdown vs Raw 2009 is in development and I am looking forward to this one as it includes new tag team features and a create your finisher mode! From what I see, the graphics have been given a make-over.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/142/14242641.html

Written By: colette on 04/03/08 at 5:19 pm

Not played a Smackown game in years.

They used to be great!  Not sure there's been much new over thepast few years. Much like Soccer games when just update the players.

i suppose thats what you get with Multiplatform games.

Written By: Bobby on 04/03/08 at 7:07 pm

Not played a Smackown game in years.

They used to be great!  Not sure there's been much new over thepast few years. Much like Soccer games when just update the players.

i suppose thats what you get with Multiplatform games.

The format has pretty much stayed the same, with extra details, matches and functions placed over the years.

It's only been about four days since the announcement that Smackdown vs Raw 2009 will be released later this year but THQ have already promised a whole upgraded AI system, tag team system and collision detection so this should change the whole feel of the game in itself . . . Hopefully. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...